"Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Bert

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Bert »

tallyho wrote: 8 months ago ...no black top to the mask, no black shoulder fastening pads...
I don't see how you can say that. The cowl looks black to me, and the shadows on her shoulders and angle of the photo make determining colour there impossible. The gloves are the only major departure.
User avatar
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Posts: 6483
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: Land of No Hope and Past Glories
Has thanked: 362 times
Been thanked: 520 times
Wales

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by tallyho »

It looks blue to me on a regular view though if you zoom in (which I hadn't) it is a darker blue (I took it as the same colour as the body) but I accept you can't see the shoulders clearly. But that gets negated by the yellow belt which I didn't mention which isn't there, 😂.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 698
Joined: 11 years ago
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Imagineer »

Crank up your monitors.
The cape attach is black.
The cowl has a blue-tinted faux-carbon-fiber pattern to it.

The jacket looks like a 60s bucket seat, not a motorcycle jacket.
User avatar
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1333
Joined: 12 years ago
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by theScribbler »

the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
User avatar
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Posts: 6483
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: Land of No Hope and Past Glories
Has thanked: 362 times
Been thanked: 520 times
Wales

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by tallyho »

Imagineer wrote: 8 months ago Crank up your monitors.
The cape attach is black.
The cowl has a blue-tinted faux-carbon-fiber pattern to it.

The jacket looks like a 60s bucket seat, not a motorcycle jacket.
Monitor! Luxury! I'm on my phone so it's an inch high for me
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Bert

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Bert »

tallyho wrote: 8 months ago It looks blue to me on a regular view though if you zoom in (which I hadn't) it is a darker blue (I took it as the same colour as the body) but I accept you can't see the shoulders clearly. But that gets negated by the yellow belt which I didn't mention which isn't there, 😂.
And the stitching pattern is completely different. It's like they were trying to drive fans crazy! :see_stars:
User avatar
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 2908
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: baltimre, md
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by batgirl1969 »

At least she has the yellow Doc boots!!! Wonder if she has the matching panties & Bra too...if not, so amateur!!
User avatar
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Posts: 6483
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: Land of No Hope and Past Glories
Has thanked: 362 times
Been thanked: 520 times
Wales

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by tallyho »

batgirl1969 wrote: 8 months ago At least she has the yellow Doc boots!!! Wonder if she has the matching panties & Bra too...if not, so amateur!!
BUT amateurs do it for the LOVE my dear (same root as amore in the French ) not for squalid payment of funds. Look at the wonderful amateur cosplay costumes that fans come up with and then look at the shit Wondie costume some paid costume designer came up with for Palicki.
It's the old adage amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic. :laugh:
You being a gifted amateur cosplayer you probably have your own home made dildo in your Batgirl utility belt :giggle:
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
User avatar
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 2908
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: baltimre, md
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by batgirl1969 »

tallyho wrote: 8 months ago
batgirl1969 wrote: 8 months ago At least she has the yellow Doc boots!!! Wonder if she has the matching panties & Bra too...if not, so amateur!!
BUT amateurs do it for the LOVE my dear (same root as amore in the French ) not for squalid payment of funds. Look at the wonderful amateur cosplay costumes that fans come up with and then look at the shit Wondie costume some paid costume designer came up with for Palicki.
It's the old adage amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic. :laugh:
You being a gifted amateur cosplayer you probably have your own home made dildo in your Batgirl utility belt :giggle:
Come on now....it is a Strap-on NOT a dildo...now that you mention my utility belt is full of some odd crime fighting equipment, lube, plugs, beads, ballgags, some rope not to forget, handcuffs
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posts: 285
Joined: 8 years ago
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by ivandobsky »

batgirl1969 wrote: 8 months ago At least she has the yellow Doc boots!!!
At least the boots are hideous too. I'd hate to feel conflicted about this. Seriously, what's with Doc Martens these days? Appear to be worn by hipster corbynites. Worse than converse and crocs.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant
Posts: 164
Joined: 18 years ago
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 44 times
Canada

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Nykron »

Another look:
Image
User avatar
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 2908
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: baltimre, md
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by batgirl1969 »

The costume COULD have potential when done right like this statue and a mash up of the statue with her face...NOW this would work with her on the pattern cutter or cat whiskers!!
FB_IMG_1642546628742.jpg
FB_IMG_1642546628742.jpg (49.2 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
main-17.jpg
main-17.jpg (44.61 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
User avatar
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: 14 years ago
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 271 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by sugarcoater »

batgirl1969 wrote: 8 months ago The costume COULD have potential when done right like this statue and a mash up of the statue with her face...NOW this would work with her on the pattern cutter or cat whiskers!!
FB_IMG_1642546628742.jpgmain-17.jpg
The statue does look much better--tighter top and skintight pants. The neckline just looks off in both the TV outfit and the statue. It's something about the thick turtleneck look to it. But as stated before, it's a matter of tastes. I guess mine are locked into the 80s and 90s version of Batgirl.
User avatar
shevek
Producer
Producer
Posts: 3523
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 223 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by shevek »

Here's the meme co-director Adil El-Arbi posted in response to the love/hate over the costume that's been making the rounds online over the past couple days.

Now, admittedly, El Arbi and Fallah are raw, street-level guys and I wouldn't exactly expect them to be polite, but it also doesn't make a whole lot of sense to tell potential customers to "shut the fuck up". But that's just the debased level of discourse nowadays amongst the Twitterati.

As for "wait for the film" - yeah, sure, I'll wait with bated breath for a film written by Christina Hodson, who was responsible for the debacle that was Birds of Prey.... :hq:
adil el arbi's meme.jpg
adil el arbi's meme.jpg (190.33 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
User avatar
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 2908
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: baltimre, md
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by batgirl1969 »

Bad thing is Cosplay looks 10x better so even his meme sucks!!!
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 698
Joined: 11 years ago
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Imagineer »

I doubt the people saying it looks like cosplay have actually seen good cosplay.
Hollywood should aspire to make their superhero costumes look like good cosplay.

I'll see or not see Batgirl based on the trailer and well-written critiques. The costume has little bearing on my viewing decision. If I refused to watch mainstream superhero productions with bad costume decisions, I'd miss out on a lot of entertaining superhero productions.
User avatar
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1036
Joined: 6 years ago
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 82 times
Germany

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Maskripper »

Imagineer wrote: 8 months ago I doubt the people saying it looks like cosplay have actually seen good cosplay.
Hollywood should aspire to make their superhero costumes look like good cosplay.

....
:yes:
Indeed.
Many use "...looks like cosplay" and mean that as an insult. Maybe they think that most cosplayers buy their costumes at Walmart or so :laugh:
I follow quite many cosplayers on Insta and they are doing really great in making costumes.
Often they make costumes that are better than the ones then professional costume designers come up with.
Often they are into it with real passion and make great versions of costumes from comic heroines.
(passion + skill + close to the original costume from the comics = great costumes)
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1556
Joined: 8 years ago
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 76 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Dazzle1 »

The costume look horrible, the material and the utility belt are bad.

If there are going classic(Yvonne Craig) batgirl, Christina Carter's films have a better look

or go the All black armoured look of the terrible Alicia Silverstone
User avatar
shevek
Producer
Producer
Posts: 3523
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 223 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by shevek »

Apparently, Warner Bros is now discussing the idea of injecting more money into this movie, making it a mid-budget film, so
that it can play in theaters as well as streaming. It would come out in continuity after The Flash. They were inspired by how
well "The Batman" did recently in the movie houses. The $70 million Batgirl film just finished shooting.

https://puck.news/have-movie-theaters-g ... mojo-back/
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posts: 285
Joined: 8 years ago
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by ivandobsky »

Dazzle1 wrote: 8 months ago or go the All black armoured look of the terrible Alicia Silverstone
What? You mean terrible in the sense that dinosaurs are "terrible lizards"? Meaning "fucking awesome". Silverstone was fantastic. Zip me up uncle Alfred? Yes please.
User avatar
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1036
Joined: 6 years ago
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 82 times
Germany

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Maskripper »

^ I think Silverstone wasn't/isn't a really good actress and was seemingly quite a diva on the set of that movie.
BUT she looked nice and that suit is SO awesome (except the missing attached cowl) in my opinion that I love every second of her on-screen. And the scenes with Dina Meyer in BoP with a slightly modified version of that were even better (with also the better actress in it)...for my taste.
-
Back to topic:
Well, I'm not as hyped as I should be with a Batgirl movie coming up... but still very thrilled about it.
Can't wait to see a trailer to that one.
I hope Warner will make enough money out of it to realize a sequel and/or a Batgirl TV show.
If there would be a Batgirl TV show with the Batgirl costume from "Batman and Robin" or BoP with a cowl..... I would most likely get too excited and some bad things would happen to the production to stop it.
Like aliens killing all the actors as they attack the set with blimps steered by gigantic hamster creatures....
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
User avatar
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 2908
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: baltimre, md
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by batgirl1969 »

Maskripper wrote: 8 months ago
Imagineer wrote: 8 months ago I doubt the people saying it looks like cosplay have actually seen good cosplay.
Hollywood should aspire to make their superhero costumes look like good cosplay.

....
:yes:
Indeed.
Many use "...looks like cosplay" and mean that as an insult. Maybe they think that most cosplayers buy their costumes at Walmart or so :laugh:
I follow quite many cosplayers on Insta and they are doing really great in making costumes.
Often they make costumes that are better than the ones then professional costume designers come up with.
Often they are into it with real passion and make great versions of costumes from comic heroines.
(passion + skill + close to the original costume from the comics = great costumes)
THANK YOU! For supporting the cosplay community, it is greatly appreciated, I wish I could share some of my & my sister and our GF's work here, there are some amazingly talented guys and girls out there, what's really wild is just how many look SO different out of cosplay than in...
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 953
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Dogfish »

Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Apparently it was so bad WB were willing to write off its $70m budget and call it a day.

Begs the question if they have any idea whatsoever what they are doing. Have to think that they'd have been able to get something out of it just for Keaton's return as Batman.

From the article I read the vibe is they're trying to unfuck the DCEU but seems like that dog has sailed. If even the MCU is (theoretically at least, it still makes money hand over fist) struggling creatively maybe starting again from scratch, or with yet another Battfleck effort, isn't the way to do this.
User avatar
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: 14 years ago
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 271 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by sugarcoater »

Pretty weak. But it's their money and their loss.
Seems like one of the problems for the DC characters is many of them have sex appeal and that's something a fair amount of the comic book movie industry wants to avoid incorporating into their superheroines.

Perhaps part of the problem is the fine line between the sexy nature of superheroines in comics and the desire to create realistic superheroines. There is clearly an absurdity to the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman wearing the sexy short-shorts as her uniform to fight villains, yet that outfit is much more appealing to me than the armored-style of outfit being used by Gal Gadot. I prefer the George Perez Wonder Woman to the modern versions of her in the comics. My assumption--based on just what I've seen and read--is that the industry wants to move towards the grittier and more realistic style of superheroines, which means the Batgirl of the 80s and 90s (and the old TV show) will not be the Batgirl used. And as the plot will no doubt be fairly simplistic and predictable with an unattractive but practical outfit, I have no incentive to spend the money and time to watch it.
Conversely, I absolutely watched the Helen Slater Supergirl movie because the outfit was what I grew up with and looked damn good on Helen. The plot, on the other hand, was trite and predictable and dull.
Now if somehow an attractive Batgirl costume along with a good plot could be made...well, I think that's just idle day-dreaming on my part.
Visitor
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: 12 years ago
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Visitor »

I read it reached $90 million with reshoots. No mention on why it was still unusable, but with a decent cast, directors, costumes, and special effects it seems WB didn't invest in a decent script again.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 508
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by sneakly »

The problem is, the original Batgirl was forged in 1960s. She was eye candy to extend the life of a show that had lost its novelty. The rampant misogyny of the of the time meant they could dress her up as cocktease and tie her up in fetish situations, and as long as long as they were willing simply ignore the sexual part as if it didn’t exist, it was fine.

Hell, “I dream of Jeannie” had a super hot blonde that lived to serve her master’s every whim in a crop top and harem pants. You just can’t make Television like that any more. If you put any fetishy subtext in a TV show, it has to have an empowered heroine and everything has to be consensual. No more kidnapping Miss Iceland and lowering her body temperature down so you can fuck her…

Of coarse, back then, porn really sucked. Things change. The pendulum may swing back towards campy fun-BDSM plot lines. Personally, I would rather watch more O-girl & Nylonika than Stargirl. I am much more certain of getting the type payout I want from Nylonika getting kidnapped than any chick on the CW.
Image
User avatar
SHL
Producer
Producer
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 years ago
Been thanked: 27 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by SHL »

Dogfish wrote: 2 months ago Apparently it was so bad WB were willing to write off its $70m budget and call it a day.
Where did you read that?

I only read WB wants to double down on big blockbuster releases. Batgirl was always intended for HBO+ - which is no longer their focus on DC properties

After Top Gun Maverick and the more recent Spiderman film: a lot of film executives are probably drooling to make a billion dollar box office. They probably didnt want to waste resources on something they lost focus on

EDIT

Read more reports and it indeed looks like the film might be a disaster
Last edited by SHL 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: 14 years ago
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 271 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by sugarcoater »

Not sure it’s fair to call it misogyny to have an attractive woman put in a sexy outfit and placed in precarious situations. That’s just selling sex appeal. Now paying the actress less for an equal role in the show would be misogyny. But using that same standard, having James Bond wearing tuxes and consistently captured by the villain in every Bond movie seems like a parallel to having Barbara Gordon wearing a Batgirl costume and consistently being captured by the villain.
And it’s not like Batman and Robin weren’t wearing fairy tight costumes too, and last I checked they were also captured and put in some damn weird predicaments as well.
User avatar
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: 14 years ago
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 271 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by sugarcoater »

Shades of Adrianne Palicki as Wonder Woman from a decade ago.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... der-woman/
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 953
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Dogfish »

sugarcoater wrote: 2 months ago Shades of Adrianne Palicki as Wonder Woman from a decade ago.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... der-woman/
I managed to track that one down. It was Catwoman bad. But then it was a pilot, so it was always a gamble. With a movie even if it's bad you're not throwing anything else after it, you've already lost.

Notable highlight with that Wonder Woman was I seem to recall her killing a security guard by chucking a pipe at him that pinned him to a wall through the chest (shades of Arnie in Commando, although without the steam coming through the guys chest). Was like something out of The Boys except done for like $5 and a family friendly audience.

Also I think they spent a lot of money on Liz Hurley and that woman cannot, could never, act for beans.


For this Batgirl thing though, I don't get it. I've seen Suicide Squad, the idea that DC have a minimum bar of quality a movie has to clear doesn't sound remotely plausible. If anything it's DC's decent movies that don't do well, like The Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey.
User avatar
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 4632
Joined: 10 years ago
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Mr. X »

DC should just try an animated Batgirl first. Their animations tend to do better except their recent art style and the latest Green Lantern was pretty mediocre.
User avatar
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: 14 years ago
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 271 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by sugarcoater »

Mr. X wrote: 2 months ago DC should just try an animated Batgirl first. Their animations tend to do better except their recent art style and the latest Green Lantern was pretty mediocre.
I like this idea. And perhaps go with the darker style of Batgirl animation movie instead of something light and campy.
User avatar
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary
Posts: 2453
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: On the Border of the Neutral Zone
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 206 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by DrDominator9 »

Dogfish wrote: 2 months ago
sugarcoater wrote: 2 months ago Shades of Adrianne Palicki as Wonder Woman from a decade ago.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... der-woman/
I managed to track that one down. It was Catwoman bad. But then it was a pilot, so it was always a gamble. With a movie even if it's bad you're not throwing anything else after it, you've already lost.

Notable highlight with that Wonder Woman was I seem to recall her killing a security guard by chucking a pipe at him that pinned him to a wall through the chest (shades of Arnie in Commando, although without the steam coming through the guys chest). Was like something out of The Boys except done for like $5 and a family friendly audience.

Also I think they spent a lot of money on Liz Hurley and that woman cannot, could never, act for beans.


For this Batgirl thing though, I don't get it. I've seen Suicide Squad, the idea that DC have a minimum bar of quality a movie has to clear doesn't sound remotely plausible. If anything it's DC's decent movies that don't do well, like The Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey.
One of the problems with the Wonder Woman TV pilot with Palicki was that WW had the morals of a mob boss. She was also heavy into being a CEO of a fashion company or something and was always briskly walking through hallways giving orders. Palicki looked fine but the writers' room either knew nothing about the character from either the comic or the past TV show or thought that throwing all moral underpinning into the trash was a ground-breaking concept.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
brdiy
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 512
Joined: 13 years ago
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 79 times
Malaysia

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by brdiy »

The problem with the WW TV show started much earlier when they chose the creator of Ally frickin' McBeal as show runner. Palicki looked great, definitley, which was such a shame...
Supergirllegend
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 949
Joined: 1 year ago
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 208 times
Bangladesh

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Supergirllegend »

All that for nothing. They could have made 180 high budget superhero themed pornos for that price
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 508
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by sneakly »

sugarcoater wrote: 2 months ago Not sure it’s fair to call it misogyny to have an attractive woman put in a sexy outfit and placed in precarious situations. That’s just selling sex appeal. Now paying the actress less for an equal role in the show would be misogyny. But using that same standard, having James Bond wearing tuxes and consistently captured by the villain in every Bond movie seems like a parallel to having Barbara Gordon wearing a Batgirl costume and consistently being captured by the villain.
And it’s not like Batman and Robin weren’t wearing fairy tight costumes too, and last I checked they were also captured and put in some damn weird predicaments as well.
In the first episode, Penguin kidnaps her for a shotgun wedding to control her Daddy, not particularly progressive, even by standards of the day… And it is more of an observation than an objection. Diana Rigg talked about the Avengers and there was no mincing of words, the sexy outfits and her periodic bondage was absolutely part of the formula.

Batgirl and all the molls were there to engage adolescent male viewers (and their dads). A show in those days could not sustain itself entirely on the homoerotic subtext alone. Star Trek was a western with minidresses. Charlie’s Angel was jiggle TV. While female characters were getting getting progressively more to do, they had to be hot.

It’s a shame the fourth season never happened. It would have been great to see Batgirl running parallel investigations with Batman. I couldn’t see her giving up her autonomy to fill Robin’s roll, even if she started getting Robin sized numbers of Bat-traps.

The shame is, her character is so tied to the 1960s. Despite being a grown woman, she is called BatGIRL. Her character’s motivation is basically Batman Fan Service. The pilot they did for her character is absolutely cringe worthy. On the actual show she was a great character, but she used her feminity to manipulate her father and Batman, they were patronizing and dismissive of both Barbara and Batgirl. It worked great in the structure of the show, but I doubt it would fare well in 2022.

A Batgirl show or movie would probably work best if they simply decided to riff on the 1960s sensibilities with a Barbara/ Batgirl who was stuck trying navigate that world as a crime fighter. I see her as a woman who became a librarian because women couldn’t become cops. And nice girls weren’t danger junkies that would fight a room full of goons. She get’s a high from it. She is not some brooding righter of wrongs. She is doing what she loves in Gotham that expects different things from a proper girl.
Image
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 508
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by sneakly »

DrDominator9 wrote: 2 months ago
Dogfish wrote: 2 months ago
sugarcoater wrote: 2 months ago Shades of Adrianne Palicki as Wonder Woman from a decade ago.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... der-woman/
I managed to track that one down. It was Catwoman bad. But then it was a pilot, so it was always a gamble. With a movie even if it's bad you're not throwing anything else after it, you've already lost.

Notable highlight with that Wonder Woman was I seem to recall her killing a security guard by chucking a pipe at him that pinned him to a wall through the chest (shades of Arnie in Commando, although without the steam coming through the guys chest). Was like something out of The Boys except done for like $5 and a family friendly audience.

Also I think they spent a lot of money on Liz Hurley and that woman cannot, could never, act for beans.


For this Batgirl thing though, I don't get it. I've seen Suicide Squad, the idea that DC have a minimum bar of quality a movie has to clear doesn't sound remotely plausible. If anything it's DC's decent movies that don't do well, like The Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey.
One of the problems with the Wonder Woman TV pilot with Palicki was that WW had the morals of a mob boss. She was also heavy into being a CEO of a fashion company or something and was always briskly walking through hallways giving orders. Palicki looked fine but the writers' room either knew nothing about the character from either the comic or the past TV show or thought that throwing all moral underpinning into the trash was a ground-breaking concept.
The Palicki WW failed because they took the femininity out of the character. LC could look good, but did not strut around like she owned the place, despite being WW. Gal Godot plays it much more true to the original (would be better with more of the BDSM). Nobody roots for a bitch. Just MHO.
Image
User avatar
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 841
Joined: 11 years ago
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Post by lionbadger »

I cynically think this is a hype ploy like a "release the snyder cut" thing being engineered

will wait to see if a release batgirl cult starts hopping around on twitter looking for attention
User avatar
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: 14 years ago
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 271 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by sugarcoater »

sneakly wrote: 2 months ago
sugarcoater wrote: 2 months ago Not sure it’s fair to call it misogyny to have an attractive woman put in a sexy outfit and placed in precarious situations. That’s just selling sex appeal. Now paying the actress less for an equal role in the show would be misogyny. But using that same standard, having James Bond wearing tuxes and consistently captured by the villain in every Bond movie seems like a parallel to having Barbara Gordon wearing a Batgirl costume and consistently being captured by the villain.
And it’s not like Batman and Robin weren’t wearing fairy tight costumes too, and last I checked they were also captured and put in some damn weird predicaments as well.
In the first episode, Penguin kidnaps her for a shotgun wedding to control her Daddy, not particularly progressive, even by standards of the day… And it is more of an observation than an objection. Diana Rigg talked about the Avengers and there was no mincing of words, the sexy outfits and her periodic bondage was absolutely part of the formula.

Batgirl and all the molls were there to engage adolescent male viewers (and their dads). A show in those days could not sustain itself entirely on the homoerotic subtext alone. Star Trek was a western with minidresses. Charlie’s Angel was jiggle TV. While female characters were getting getting progressively more to do, they had to be hot.

It’s a shame the fourth season never happened. It would have been great to see Batgirl running parallel investigations with Batman. I couldn’t see her giving up her autonomy to fill Robin’s roll, even if she started getting Robin sized numbers of Bat-traps.

The shame is, her character is so tied to the 1960s. Despite being a grown woman, she is called BatGIRL. Her character’s motivation is basically Batman Fan Service. The pilot they did for her character is absolutely cringe worthy. On the actual show she was a great character, but she used her feminity to manipulate her father and Batman, they were patronizing and dismissive of both Barbara and Batgirl. It worked great in the structure of the show, but I doubt it would fare well in 2022.

A Batgirl show or movie would probably work best if they simply decided to riff on the 1960s sensibilities with a Barbara/ Batgirl who was stuck trying navigate that world as a crime fighter. I see her as a woman who became a librarian because women couldn’t become cops. And nice girls weren’t danger junkies that would fight a room full of goons. She get’s a high from it. She is not some brooding righter of wrongs. She is doing what she loves in Gotham that expects different things from a proper girl.

I like your idea of a Batgirl series based on the 1960s sensibilities. Perhaps a 60s piece, something similar to Mrs. Maisel in terms of the setting and style? Perhaps a movie or series in the style of the upcoming She-Hulk series in which Barbara Gordon's thoughts and observations would be a humorous part of the move/series. One aspect could be putting Batgirl in the same traps as the old TV show, but having the sarcastic and modern Barbara Gordon mocking the absurdity of such traps. She could even acknowledge the intentional use of a skintight sexy outfit as a way of distracting villains, as well as admitting her cape is merely a pointless accessory and her boots aren't quite the best for crimefighting but they do look ravishing on her!

As for the misogyny point, I think it's just how we interpret using sexy outfits. I see it as a way to attract an audience who finds women in sexy outfits attractive. But that's not something I think of as misogyny--I don't interpret such actions as a dislike or hatred towards women, nor some sort of prejudice against women. And after all, most leading actors at the time (and now) were good-looking men.
User avatar
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 4632
Joined: 10 years ago
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie in development (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct)

Post by Mr. X »

sneakly wrote: 2 months ago The Palicki WW failed because they took the femininity out of the character. LC could look good, but did not strut around like she owned the place, despite being WW. Gal Godot plays it much more true to the original (would be better with more of the BDSM). Nobody roots for a bitch. Just MHO.
Yes WW played by LC and GG had class. The AP version had no strong character or class. Just angry all the time. And LC never flaunted her body for a security guard.
User avatar
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: 14 years ago
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 271 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Post by sugarcoater »

Since it has come up, is there any place to see the full WW episode with AP?
User avatar
argento
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posts: 323
Joined: 2 years ago
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 111 times
Argentina

Re: "Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Post by argento »

apww.jpg
apww.jpg (116.33 KiB) Viewed 520 times
https://archive.org/details/wonder.woma ... vidt00ng0d
User avatar
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3645
Joined: 18 years ago
Has thanked: 363 times
Been thanked: 161 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Post by MightyHypnotic »

MV5BNzQ5YzQxZDItYmFhNi00ZDFjLWJjZTEtYjMwMzk2MmI3YWVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc0NzQzNTM@._V1_.jpg
MV5BNzQ5YzQxZDItYmFhNi00ZDFjLWJjZTEtYjMwMzk2MmI3YWVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc0NzQzNTM@._V1_.jpg (326.94 KiB) Viewed 499 times

Looks like a Lord FFog episode
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posts: 285
Joined: 8 years ago
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: "Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Post by ivandobsky »

This was never going to be something that appealed to me, but it would be a shame if it didn't somehow find itself onto the internet. Would suck to get your big break, work hard on something and not be able to show people the finished result.
User avatar
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3645
Joined: 18 years ago
Has thanked: 363 times
Been thanked: 161 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Post by MightyHypnotic »

lionbadger wrote: 2 months ago I cynically think this is a hype ploy like a "release the snyder cut" thing being engineered

will wait to see if a release batgirl cult starts hopping around on twitter looking for attention
There is definitely something happening here. This movie will see the light of day. Maybe they figured out they were going to lose more money with a theatrical release.
Visitor
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: 12 years ago
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Post by Visitor »

There's always direct to video if they want to make some money. It depends upon the terms of their insurance and tax write off for not releasing it,

I'm sure someone will leak it on the Internet like the failed WW pilot.

Edit - Variety reported that the movie was scrapped in order to take a tax writedown.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posts: 285
Joined: 8 years ago
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: "Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Post by ivandobsky »

The directors of this seem pretty cool. Makes me suspect the film isn't that bad. Interested to know.

Maybe they could make "Irredeemable Batgirl" into the film title. It worked for Inedible Spiderman.
User avatar
shevek
Producer
Producer
Posts: 3523
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 223 times
United States of America

Re: "Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Post by shevek »

Adil and Bilall, who are good action-movie directors, are having a string of bad luck lately. Their Ms. Marvel series wasn't well received (lowest audience of any MCU TV show). They got pulled off the director's chairs for Beverly Hills Cop IV, which looked like it was going to be killer (Eddie Murphy and Harold Faltermeyer both returning). And now this. Can you imagine - Adil heard about this in the middle of his wedding in Morocco! Apparently, Warner is trying to renegotiate their contracts with the pair (and Leslie Grace, who should never have been Batgirl anyway, but would probably be fine playing any number of other superheroines) to keep them in the mix for future projects, but if I were them, I'd tell them to take a long walk off a short pier. The whole idea that a $90 million movie is better "written off" as a tax break than released in any format at all is beyond ridiculous and an insult to everyone who worked on it.

Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 953
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: "Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Post by Dogfish »

Looks like HBO Max is also getting cut to the bone. The merger with Discovery+ seems apparently going to cause them to stop making scripted programming entirely.

So likely no more Harley Quinn, possibly no more Peacemaker (although Gunn has said it's safe).

There have been other movies getting canned too. Apparently this is just something you can do, turning a movie into a tax break.

Feels like a really brutal clear-cutting over there.

It's sad. No other word for it. I don't have a whole lot of time for the movies WB have been making, there's the odd good one lately though, but this feels wrong. This is brutalist economics. Shameful stuff.
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests