MegaMillions is now 1.02 Billion!

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

About 20 years ago, there was a convenience store I used to go to that catered to hardcore lottery players. On Thursdays and Fridays, you’d trip everyone playing Keno and scratch tickets. If you went in there to buy a soda or whatever, you’d have to wait until they took care of all the lottery players before they’d ring you up.

One day, the day after someone somewhere else won one of those huge jackpots and the place was even busier than before the drawing.

It’s almost like serious lottery players look at the big drawings the way hardcore drinkers look at New Years Eve, as amateur hour.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wouldn't doubt that one bit! That's how it was when I lived in NY and it was a pain because those hardcore lottery players are adamant!

Consider me an amateur and it's ridiculous if I think about it, even if I won a 1/4 of that prize it would still be incredible, so why wouldn't I just play it every week? But I don't. It's the lure of the billion!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

MightyHypnotic wrote:
1 year ago
I wouldn't doubt that one bit! That's how it was when I lived in NY and it was a pain because those hardcore lottery players are adamant!

Consider me an amateur and it's ridiculous if I think about it, even if I won a 1/4 of that prize it would still be incredible, so why wouldn't I just play it every week? But I don't. It's the lure of the billion!
It is pain how they block the register because they scratch the tickets in front of it, so they can to the payoff or next ticket
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

A study I saw is a large percent of lottery winners (over 80%) lose all the money in less than 5 years regardless of the amount won. I can believe this. If you can't manage small amounts of money you can't manage large amounts, especially if you never earned it.

So its wealth redistribution of the stupid.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

But think of the custom you could make with that kind of money!
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

There was an Aussie guy who came out of a coma and to celebrate he bought a lottery ticket and won the jackpot. Something like $250,000 , but those are Australian dollars so worth about £8 quid.
Later a film crew is interviewing him and for the news shot they get him to go in and buy another ticket
He comes out and goes beserk and they stop filming and say that reaction was a bit over the top and the jammy bastard had won again! (This time a brand new 4x4)

So you never know. Except if you are me, then you do know you are gonna win sod all.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I guess I'd have to drive to California to get a ticket
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

sugarcoater wrote:
1 year ago
But think of the custom you could make with that kind of money!
You know, that's a very good point!
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I will try again Friday. I think part of the issue with some folks losing all of that money is having too much free time on their hands, too much time to think about or spend their loot. I would probably quit my job, but I would probably try to find some meaningful purpose in my retirement rather than just sitting back on my couch munching on Cheetos and counting my money and figuring out ways to spend it. I think I would also try to build my own SHIP film studio, not for profit or money, but for fun and the enjoyment of seeing my vision become reality. Dare to dream!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
1 year ago
I will try again Friday. I think part of the issue with some folks losing all of that money is having too much free time on their hands, too much time to think about or spend their loot. I would probably quit my job, but I would probably try to find some meaningful purpose in my retirement rather than just sitting back on my couch munching on Cheetos and counting my money and figuring out ways to spend it. I think I would also try to build my own SHIP film studio, not for profit or money, but for fun and the enjoyment of seeing my vision become reality. Dare to dream!
I would do much the same