Hart to Hart (1979-1984)

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

I recently bought the complete DVD boxed set from Amazon on a whim, having seen a few episodes on Amazon Prime when then show was on there briefly.

https://www.amazon.com/Hart-Complete-Ro ... 06VT2SQJW/

I mainly bought it as a fan of Stefanie Powers from back in her days as the Girl from UNCLE, and I had seen the show featured in various "Damsel in Distress" lists.

Now that I'm watching all the episodes in order, though, I'm just enjoying the hell out of it! Stefanie Powers is attractive and charming as Jennifer Hart, and occasionally just damn sexy. Robert Wagner is equally good as Jonathan Hart, and they manage to strike a good balance between him being likeable, and his being a millionaire playboy. Their butler/chauffeur Max is also amusing as an aging former scoundrel of sorts.

If you're a fan of 1970s TV shows like Wonder Woman, you will also see a ton of familiar faces among the guest stars, like Christine "Baroness Von Gunther" Belford as a friend of the Harts who they save from being blackmailed into marrying a wealthy scoundrel.

It's just a lot of preposterous fun.

I guess I totally missed out on this one back in the day, but I'm certainly having fun with it now.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I preferred Robert Wagner in his older series, It Takes a Thief, where he was a thief forced to use his skills for a government agency. Guest appearances by Fred Astaire as his father.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Visitor wrote:
1 year ago
I preferred Robert Wagner in his older series, It Takes a Thief, where he was a thief forced to use his skills for a government agency. Guest appearances by Fred Astaire as his father.
I've never seen It Takes a Thief but I've heard of it.

Wagner himself would go on to make numerous guest appearances on NCIS as Very Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo's father.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Lurkndog wrote:
1 year ago
Visitor wrote:
1 year ago
I've never seen It Takes a Thief but I've heard of it.

Wagner himself would go on to make numerous guest appearances on NCIS as Very Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo's father.
There is a cool episode in It Takes a Thief where some rich criminal wants Wagner to disarm an explosive case so they can take the contents. So he's given like 10 minutes. He comes out of the room with the light showing green and the bad guy leaves then his helicopter explodes. Turns out Wagner didn't diffuse it, he merely swapped the red light bulb cover for the green light bulb cover.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

You might think the two leads get along, but "when dey met, it was MOIDER!"

:giggle:
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I seem to remember there was one version of the opening theme of this series where Jonathan and Jennifer suddenly wake up out of bed with Stefanie Powers naked, furiously grabbing for the blanket to cover her nice front porch. Nice shot.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
1 year ago
I agree Wagner was better than

Hart to Hart was before Remington Steel but the same genre
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

Here are some good scenes.

sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

That always bothers me, gold is heavy as fuck. 2.5 times denser that steel and 70% denser than lead. If those barbells were made of gold, you would need a fork lift to move them. And who travels with dumbbells? Even back in the 80s, they would charge you for overweight luggage (I used to pay the sky cap $5 to make sure my bags didn’t get weighed.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
That always bothers me, gold is heavy as fuck. 2.5 times denser that steel and 70% denser than lead. If those barbells were made of gold, you would need a fork lift to move them. And who travels with dumbbells? Even back in the 80s, they would charge you for overweight luggage (I used to pay the sky cap $5 to make sure my bags didn’t get weighed.
Reminds me of a Speed Racer episode where the police are checking all the cars in some cross continental race cause some huge amount of gold bullion was stolen then this giant mammoth car which was basically a giant semi with 20 trailers shows up to race. Gee wonder what that was made out of.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
Reminds me of a Speed Racer episode where the police are checking all the cars in some cross continental race cause some huge amount of gold bullion was stolen then this giant mammoth car which was basically a giant semi with 20 trailers shows up to race. Gee wonder what that was made out of.
Well if it was gold bullion it probably did 0-60 mph in about 8 days so shouldn't be too hard to catch!

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

The lack of reality aside, Stefanie Powers did look great in those leotards, didn’t she?
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
You wouldn't travel with ordinary barbells, but I can think of one exception to that.

There is a special type of dumbell for strongman competitions called the Inch Dumbell. It's basically designed to be unliftable by ordinary folk. It weighs 172 pounds, and it is a single-handed dumbell. The handle has a diameter of 2 1/2", so unless you have inhuman grip strength it just rolls out of your hand. And people do travel with them, because they are fairly unique and specific to strongmen.
inch-dumbbell.jpg
inch-dumbbell.jpg (16.67 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

IMSancho wrote:
1 year ago
The lack of reality aside, Stefanie Powers did look great in those leotards, didn’t she?
Damn skippy! She was 37 when the show started in 1979, but she also made the movie Escape from Athena the same year, where she does a non-nude striptease and spends the third reel running around in a wetsuit to great effect.

She had played The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. in 1965!
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Using a car made with gold parts goes back to the James Bond movie Goldfinger.

I read over 20 years ago man was smuggling money out of the country inside of scuba air tanks, Using sporting equipment to hide valuables is a reoccurring idea in movies and television show.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Beats shoving it up your ass I guess