Spider-Woman is kidnapped by the kingpin in her cartoon and it's top tier peril

General discussions about superheroines!
KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD
Henchman
Henchman

In episode 5 of the Spider-Woman cartoon, Spider-Woman goes through a great peril worth discussing. To put a long story short, the Kingpin has discovered that Spider-Woman is Jessica Drew, and calls her at her place of work. He quickly refers to her as "spider-lady", a dismissive term he uses for her throughout the episode (which really pisses her off when he first uses it, and he possibly intentionally uses it to emotionally manipulate her later), making it clear he has learned her secret. He tells her to meet him at a nearby food bank, or else he will reveal her identity to the public.

Once she arrives, she tries to sneak in. She remarks that the kingpin has likely set traps for her, and that she needs to be careful (Spoilers: She fails to listen to her own advice). She tries to climb on the ceiling, but the kingpin has smeared it with honey, causing her to collapse. Suddenly, the Kingpin appears out of thin air. He remarks that the invisibility ray, which Spider-Woman knew was stolen earlier but didn't know that the kingpin took it, works quite well. At this point, Spider-Woman should really remember what she said to herself about being careful before. The kingpin is able to make himself invisible with a ray gun, and he has a bunch of henchmen. She should focus on making sure she isn't caught off guard. Instead, she is so blinded with rage (note that he again called her spider lady when bragging about the invisibility ray) that she doesn't even really consider what kingpin said about the invisibility ray, and focuses soley on the kingpin, raising her fists and angrily telling him that she is going to take him down (I mean, she says it with a spider-based pun about webbing him up, but still). Sure enough, one of Kingpins men who was also invisble sneaks up behind her, picks her up, and takes him away. Spider-Woman desperately tries to get out of his grasp, kicking rather pathetically, but it's no use.

The scene then cuts to a bit later, with Spider-Woman tied up...to a slab of meat. Weird. The Kingpin isn't exactly impressed by Spider-Woman at this point. He actually got the better of her at one point earlier in the episode, as he locked her a banks vault when she tried to stop him from robbing it (presumably the banks employees let her out when they came in for work the next day). Now he was fairly easily able to kidnap her, and he likely realizes that she foolishly let her emotions get the better of her. He once again called her Spider-Lady when talking about the use of the invisble ray, and he likely knew that that would further anger her. He manipulated her, played her, and he barley had to do a thing. He remarks that while she is a good reporter, "as a superhero you have a lot to learn". He clearly does not take her seriously at all. Spider-Woman appears to have calmed down somewhat, remarking that she should have guessed that it was him who stole the invisibility ray....which yeah, she really should have. The man has been on a massive crime spree, and a super valuable item was stolen in the area. If Spider-Woman stopped to think for two seconds she could have connected the dots, but the pressure she was under from the Kingpins blackmail likely made her unable to think straight. It's at this point the Kingpin reveals that he has surprise for Spider-Woman: he is going to broadcast her identity to the world. Spider-Woman squirms in her bondage, desperately trying to escape, but it's no use.

It is at this point that Spider-Woman resorts to something pretty nuts for a children's show: She BEGS the Kingpin not to go through with it, shouting "Kingpin Wait! You can't do it!". Keep in mind that Spider-Woman is likely the worlds greatest super heroine in this universe, if not it's greatest hero period (Spider-Man is around in the series, but he's kinda a doofus). She has up to this point in the series saved the world multiple times. And yet, she now finds herself begging her enemy for mercy. Sadly, Spider-Woman's sacrifice of her dignity was in vain, as the Kingpin proceeds to broadcast the fact that Spider-Woman is Jessica Drew to the entire world (though he doesn't actually remove her mask, which bites him in the ass later and disappoints us all). He then departs, leaving Spider-Woman to freeze to death in the freezer (I think that's where they are anyway it's weird). Spider-Woman sounds fearful as she says in regards to the kingpin that "there is no telling what he'll do next"

Sadly, the best of the peril is now behind us. Two men who work at the food bank go to collect the slab of meat Spider-Woman was tied to. Spider-Woman has somehow frozen solid at this point (I like to think that she was close to death at this point, but that's wishful thinking), and the guy who grabs her doesn't even seem to initially notice the woman shaped ice sculpture tied to the meat slab. Him and his partner do presumably notice eventually, as we then cut to the now untied Ice sculpture falling apart to reveal Spider-Woman, who seems to have suffered no serious ill effects from her time as a popsicle (she does shiver for a bit though, which is pretty great). A bit of awkward end to the situation but at least Spider-Woman was saved, even if her rescuers seemingly did so almost accidentally.

And yeah, that's the peril. It's one of my absolute favorites. A strong protagonist super heroine makes multiple dumb mistakes (not considering the invisibility ray, not looking out for Kingpins men, letting her anger give her tunnel vision), that result in her being kidnapped (and is manhandled in the process), is tied up in remarkably kinky fashion, BEGS her captor to show her mercy, and is unable to save herself. If, say, her Spider-Man showed up to rescue her (he does save her at the end of a later episode but it's not in anywhere near as dramatic a situation), the scene would be pretty much perfect, but it's still great as is. The sequence is no sadly no longer on youtube (thank Disney plus for that) but I'll include some screenshots. What to you guys think? Were there any other perils you got a kick out of from this goofy ass cartoon (I could name a few)
Attachments
Spider-Woman Enraged.png
Spider-Woman Enraged.png (3.25 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
Spider-Woman manhandled.png
Spider-Woman manhandled.png (3.73 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
Kingpin Mocks Spider-Woman.png
Kingpin Mocks Spider-Woman.png (3.72 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
Spider-Woman squirms.png
Spider-Woman squirms.png (3.25 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
Spider-Woman begs.png
Spider-Woman begs.png (3.51 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
Spider-Woman Shivers.png
Spider-Woman Shivers.png (3.36 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for this in-depth write up! For me, I feel like the SpiderWoman cartoons were a bit lacking in the perils dept but as you've pointed out it did have its moments. Funny thing is, they never aired this on TV in the NY area when I was growing up, I only stumbled upon it about 10 years ago.
Also, voiced by Joan Van Ark.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for this in-depth write up! For me, I feel like the SpiderWoman cartoons were a bit lacking in the perils dept but as you've pointed out it did have its moments. Funny thing is, they never aired this on TV in the NY area when I was growing up, I only stumbled upon it about 10 years ago.
KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD
Henchman
Henchman

MightyHypnotic wrote:
1 year ago
My pleasure! It’s such a great moment. The show did have some pretty good ones. Some other noteworthy ones include Her getting captured by a giant robot and needing Spider-Man to save her (and basically do her job for her), her getting knocked out by a fly monster and carried in…interesting fashion, and her being captured by a race of spider-people who brainwash her, which she desperately try’s to fight off but fails
Attachments
2022-06-11 (318).png
2022-06-11 (318).png (3.63 MiB) Viewed 1069 times
2022-06-11 (302).png
2022-06-11 (302).png (3.22 MiB) Viewed 1069 times
2022-06-11 (273).png
2022-06-11 (273).png (4.22 MiB) Viewed 1069 times
Bugsy
Sargeant
Sargeant

Loved the show! It had some good helpless Spider Woman scenes!
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Spider-Woman was aired even here in Italy when I was a little child, even had an original italian intro theme (very rare but you can watch/listen to it on youtube), I thought the cartoon was absolutely silly and campy, but I remember watching it anyway :D
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Her costume is so sexy!!! Perfect to show off her perfect body with every move, built for bondage!
Evil Spider
Elder Member
Elder Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
1 year ago
Her costume is so sexy!!! Perfect to show off her perfect body with every move, built for bondage!
You are totally correct, I'd fuck her through her sexy spandex spidersuit as Venom while she's webbed with my sticky nets!!! :spidey:
KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD
Henchman
Henchman

helstar wrote:
1 year ago
Spider-Woman was aired even here in Italy when I was a little child, even had an original italian intro theme (very rare but you can watch/listen to it on youtube), I thought the cartoon was absolutely silly and campy, but I remember watching it anyway :D
Absolutely, and aside from simply being campy it’s sometimes just fucking bizzare. I didn’t mention it In the post since it isn’t really relevant to the peril, but the episode ends with Spider-Woman convincing everyone that she isn’t Jessica drew by seemingly appearing beside her in public. In reality, she used a robot duplicate of herself, which she just had lying around. No explanation is given for this. She just shoves the thing back in her closet at the end of the episode like it’s the most normal thing In the world