Axe falls on Amber Heard

General discussions about superheroines!
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

An axe fell on Amber Heard and not in a sexy BDSM sort of way. On the the stand yesterday, she said is out of the DCU. Her role in the upcoming movie was severely reduced and she is off the roster. It’s a shame, she was a good looking woman and I liked the character.

I guess, as they say, you shouldn’t poop in your own bed…

https://cosmicbook.news/amber-heard-rel ... 2-contract
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

These days the "No publicity is bad publicity" inso longer true. Especially when you don't have the box office power of Mel Gibson or others who have gotten away with doing worse.
Loki
Neophyte Lvl 4
Neophyte Lvl 4

That's a shame. I really like the character of Mera. If the studio didn't want Amber Heard in the movie, I honestly wish they had just recast the role. There are plenty of beautiful actresses who could do it.

This is purely just a desire to see the character in the movie. I haven't been following the Johnny Depp-Amber Heard thing closely, so I don't have any strong opinions about their personal lives.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
1 year ago
These days the "No publicity is bad publicity" inso longer true. Especially when you don't have the box office power of Mel Gibson or others who have gotten away with doing worse.
Since like most people here I work for a living, I have not followed the trial ; just got the highlights

But it goes back to the thread of a few months ago about Cancel Culture. A few loud people complain and studios cave.

Which is why I might go back to NetFlix as they stood up to Cancel Culture earlier this week.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Loki wrote:
1 year ago
That's a shame. I really like the character of Mera. If the studio didn't want Amber Heard in the movie, I honestly wish they had just recast the role. There are plenty of beautiful actresses who could do it.

This is purely just a desire to see the character in the movie. I haven't been following the Johnny Depp-Amber Heard thing closely, so I don't have any strong opinions about their personal lives.
I agree and this is all that matters to me.
The only thing I care about is the suspension of belief when I am watching a character. Johnny Depp is an engaging actor. I could care less what happens in his personal life because he does a great job on screen and that's what I pay for and what he's paid to do.

I don't know much about Amber Heard but I hope she's a better actress on screen than she is in the court room! (I kid) I haven't seen her protrayal of Mera but I have read a lot of good things about it so, if she's not being incarcerated, she should be able to work.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Some popular characters, like Harley Quinn are morally ambiguous, in the crazy/hot Gartner magic quadrant. Why not have her play one of those?
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

In the bad old days, the media owned both sides of the story. Pretty reprehensible things were glossed over and accusers were thrown under the bus to protect assholes. The pervasive abuse of talent lead to people like Harvey Weinstein and Roger Ailes. Ailes treated women like meat and it created a corporate culture of abuse, he let other abusers flourish. The rules changed (probably for the better), but being pretty shouldn’t be an excuse for being a jerk either.

A lot of these “cancelled” people have networths in the tens of millions. They may not get the fawning adulation of the press that they used to, but society doesn’t really owe them it either. Ariana Grande was developing a reputation as a jerk and turned it around. Bieber was certainly behaving like a little creep and is turning it around. Robert Downey Jr went to prison and cleaned it up. Adam Sandler used to be considered funny, but he killed that. Past performance is not a guarantee of future returns. Sometimes it is just a career arc. With Twitter we get to when the face hits the pavement in a new and more graphic way.

Heard is good looking, but I will not miss the red wig they had her wearing.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
In the bad old days, the media owned both sides of the story. Pretty reprehensible things were glossed over and accusers were thrown under the bus to protect assholes. The pervasive abuse of talent lead to people like Harvey Weinstein and Roger Ailes. Ailes treated women like meat and it created a corporate culture of abuse, he let other abusers flourish. The rules changed (probably for the better), but being pretty shouldn’t be an excuse for being a jerk either.

A lot of these “cancelled” people have networths in the tens of millions. They may not get the fawning adulation of the press that they used to, but society doesn’t really owe them it either. Ariana Grande was developing a reputation as a jerk and turned it around. Bieber was certainly behaving like a little creep and is turning it around. Robert Downey Jr went to prison and cleaned it up. Adam Sandler used to be considered funny, but he killed that. Past performance is not a guarantee of future returns. Sometimes it is just a career arc. With Twitter we get to when the face hits the pavement in a new and more graphic way.

And now an accusation is enough in the case of Ailes, several men were fired without even being allowed to defend themselves. In one case the guy was on vacation, and they had to give him a golden parachute because they could never prove it
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
sneakly wrote:
1 year ago

And now an accusation is enough in the case of Ailes, several men were fired without even being allowed to defend themselves. In one case the guy was on vacation, and they had to give him a golden parachute because they could never prove it
Firing someone is not the same as prosecuting. At that level they all have golden parachutes. Everyone had lawyers, they weren’t firing a defenseless clerk who can’t afford fresh produce. Most of them had done multiple payouts to buy silence. I don’t think this is a right or left issue. This is about an ugly break up of two actors. Movie companies try to protect their own interests and have done so from the beginning. Fatty Arbuckle, Jerry Lee-Lewis had career ending scandals. Plenty of others had scandals that were buried or bought off by the studios. If Errol Flynn’s dalliances with young men had made it to the papers, he would never worked again. Modern companies find it much harder to bury these transgressions than it used to be. HW destroyed the careers of several actresses before me-too got any traction. Ashley Judd and Rose McGowan both victimized for speaking out.

This nothing new. But today, accusers are getting more support and are being given more credibility, are not as easy to just be gotten rid of.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
sneakly wrote:
1 year ago

Firing someone is not the same as prosecuting. At that level they all have golden parachutes. Everyone had lawyers, they weren’t firing a defenseless clerk who can’t afford fresh produce. Most of them had done multiple payouts to buy silence. I don’t think this is a right or left issue. This is about an ugly break up of two actors. Movie companies try to protect their own interests and have done so from the beginning. Fatty Arbuckle, Jerry Lee-Lewis had career ending scandals. Plenty of others had scandals that were buried or bought off by the studios. If Errol Flynn’s dalliances with young men had made it to the papers, he would never worked again. Modern companies find it much harder to bury these transgressions than it used to be. HW destroyed the careers of several actresses before me-too got any traction. Ashley Judd and Rose McGowan both victimized for speaking out.

This nothing new. But today, accusers are getting more support and are being given more credibility, are not as easy to just be gotten rid of.
But in the case of one person , the top rated star, it was not in Fox's interest.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

He said, she said. You'd have to wonder who's actually telling the truth. Seems more people tend to side with Johnny nowadays, though who could really tell? 🤔
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

While most of it is he said, she said. Whenever there is something that was documented like next day photos of an uninjured Amber heard or her using makeup concealer that hadn't been sold at the time, it is being presented as rebuttal evidence.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I think I'm with Natalie Shure on this one: https://newrepublic.com/article/166501/ ... depp-trial

Check out my stories (and in some cases, books):

Amazon
Literotica
Mr. X Homepage (NEW STORiES ADDED 4/8/21)
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

This is certainly an isolated incident. Believe all women, except for this specific one.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

ivandobsky wrote:
1 year ago
This is certainly an isolated incident. Believe all women, except for this specific one.
You are conflating “being heard” with “being believed”. There have been plenty of accusers for Cosby, Weinstein, Cavanaugh, Trump, Clinton et al. Saying all are true or all are false is an over simplification. There are serial killers that confess to murders they didn’t commit. Everyone gets to make their own judgments.

Heard’s problems aren’t the result of her being abusive to her spouse. It was her claiming, in public, that he abused her. Repeatedly. Loudly. If she had gotten the divorce and then shut up, she would have gotten away with it. Depp would have been slowly exonerated as more of Heard’s ex’s related their experiences. This woman isn’t likely to change her spots, eventually finding a subby male that enjoys being emasculated by a fucking insanely hot woman. It just wasn’t Johnies game…
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
ivandobsky wrote:
1 year ago
You are conflating “being heard” with “being believed”. There have been plenty of accusers for Cosby, Weinstein, Cavanaugh, Trump, Clinton et al. Saying all are true or all are false is an over simplification. There are serial killers that confess to murders they didn’t commit. Everyone gets to make their own judgments.

Heard’s problems aren’t the result of her being abusive to her spouse. It was her claiming, in public, that he abused her. Repeatedly. Loudly. If she had gotten the divorce and then shut up, she would have gotten away with it. Depp would have been slowly exonerated as more of Heard’s ex’s related their experiences. This woman isn’t likely to change her spots, eventually finding a subby male that enjoys being emasculated by a fucking insanely hot woman. It just wasn’t Johnies game…
In Kavanaugh's case there were two urelliable accusors one represented by Michael Avenatti
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
ivandobsky wrote:
1 year ago

In Kavanaugh's case there were two urelliable accusors one represented by Michael Avenatti
Kavanaugh’s tip line had 4,500 calls. The FBI funneled them to the White House Council, did no follow ups. The 83 ethics complaints against him were dropped once he became a supreme, since no lower courts have jurisdiction. I actually knew his Yale roommate, that was corroborating some of the claims. He is as straight a Republican arrow as they come and his brother was an assistant DA. A failure to investigate is not an exoneration
Last edited by sneakly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Supergirllegend
Henchman
Henchman

My question is why the hell did she decide to change her character’s accent between aquaman and the Snyder cut? I didn’t mind her in aquaman- she destroyed her own career by trying to take Johnny to the cleaners
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The trial--which as I see it is a sad indictment of society in its obsession with it--is about two vapid celebrities being exposed for being bad people. Depp moved from one woman to another in search of a hot woman; Heard is a hot woman who probably was always told she was in the right because she is hot. Both seem vacuous and unlikeable.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

sugarcoater wrote:
1 year ago
The trial--which as I see it is a sad indictment of society in its obsession with it--is about two vapid celebrities being exposed for being bad people. Depp moved from one woman to another in search of a hot woman; Heard is a hot woman who probably was always told she was in the right because she is hot. Both seem vacuous and unlikeable.
Yes, both Deep and Heard are narcissists, therefore they are shallow. Narcissists will hardly apologize for a fault.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

argento wrote:
1 year ago
sugarcoater wrote:
1 year ago
Yes, both Deep and Heard are narcissists, therefore they are shallow. Narcissists will hardly apologize for a fault.
Bread and circuses. Who knows if they are good or bad, no here has any first hand experiences. But, this is a bread and circus forum. None of are in danger of being sucked into this drama. Although, I would pay good money to see what Ms Heard (dressed as Catwoman) would do to @batgirl1969…
Leadpoison
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

For me it's like watching OJ in the Naked Gun movies. I can't help but love the Nordberg character. The optics on Amber are awful right now, but man she looks great in that Mera suit. That's my dilemma.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Leadpoison wrote:
1 year ago
For me it's like watching OJ in the Naked Gun movies. I can't help but love the Nordberg character. The optics on Amber are awful right now, but man she looks great in that Mera suit. That's my dilemma.
Listen to the DVD commentary track to the Naked Gun movies and the creators mention giving OJ a lovely knife set as a gift. :)

WB now says they considered getting rid of Amber Heard in the second Aquaman became she didn't have any chemistry. They cut her role as a result.

https://ew.com/movies/warner-bros-amber ... son-momoa/
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
ivandobsky wrote:
1 year ago

Kavanaugh’s tip line had 4,500 calls. The FBI funneled them to the White House Council, did no follow ups. The 83 ethics complaints against him were dropped once he became a supreme, since no lower courts have jurisdiction. I actually knew his Yale roommate, that was corroborating some of the claims. He is as straight a Republican arrow as they come and his brother was an assistant DA. A failure to investigate is not an exoneration
You seem to believe if a man is accused he is guilty

Sorry not the way the U.S works

I am glad Kavanaugh stood up to the Dems and won for all Americans
tmon
Elder Member
Elder Member

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
ivandobsky wrote:
1 year ago

And you actually think the Democrats didn't spend thousands of dollars to find Corroborating evidence to put before the committee? What a joke!