NFTs, web 3.0 and metaverse for this genre

General discussions about superheroines!
sensualbarbarian
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Just a quick question. Have any creators (writers or film makers) taken this genre to the realms of NFTs and web 3.0 platform related to metaverse tech?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I wouldn't touch NFT's. To me its funny money. I get you have an unhackable (supposedly) trail of ownership but I don't see why someone would want to "own" some 3d print I can regenerate at any time by simply rerendering the scene.And yes block chains can be hacked. One off shoot crypto currency branch got hacked cause someone in N. Korea had hacked 5 out of the 9 computers used for resolution and so controlled the chain.

There is no such thing as hack proof.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

NFT's area joke created by a pack of scam artists interested in making a quick buck off a quick explosion of bullshit.

The proof is in the pudding. The fact that half of ALL the traded 'product' are STOLEN artworks acquired without the artists permission and that there's no system whatsoever in place to prevent this, and going about legitimately removing your STOLEN art from the chain is fifty times more complicated than it is for some fuckwit to slot it in there in bad faith is ALL you need to know about this pile of nonsense.

PHYSICALLY own your currency people. It may sometimes FEEL like you don't physically own what's in the bank but you DO. All this crypto currency shit is a nightmare of lost money waiting to happen... but if you're gonna mess with it, at least mess with the ones that popped off first, express to be 'coins' and aren't incentivized to STEAL other peoples work right out the gate. When your cryptocurrency consistently passes around stolen items for profit its only a matter of time before one of the thieves in your community of thieves works out how to steal the actual money involved.
Damselbinder

NFTs are a fucking ponzi scheme
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

sensualbarbarian wrote:
1 year ago
Just a quick question. Have any creators (writers or film makers) taken this genre to the realms of NFTs and web 3.0 platform related to metaverse tech?
I do have an interest in the metaverse, 3.0, et al. There are a lot of new frontiers coming and it could be a fun space to play and create in.
Damselbinder

MightyHypnotic wrote:
1 year ago
sensualbarbarian wrote:
1 year ago
I do have an interest in the metaverse, 3.0, et al. There are a lot of new frontiers coming and it could be a fun space to play and create in.
Beware.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
MightyHypnotic wrote:
1 year ago
sensualbarbarian wrote:
1 year ago
Beware.
Not for me, personally, but for superheroines. They need to beware. Isn't that always the case?
:hq:
sensualbarbarian
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

haha. Which metaverse platforms you recommend?
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

There are many popular superheroine platforms in the metaverse that allow you to socialize with 3D models. Personally, I prefer 34D.
sensualbarbarian
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

34D? Is that a bra size or a metaverse platform lol
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

sensualbarbarian wrote:
1 year ago
34D? Is that a bra size or a metaverse platform lol
It's an old joke, which I adapted to make a joke. The joke goes like this.
2d or 3d women?
Personally, I prefer 34D.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

BTW google Tulip mania. Apparently there was a mad rush on buying tulips for some reason. Tulips got up to $200 a flower.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I like how all these dumb ass things read like 'milliont dollar NFT sold for $12!!!!!!!"

It was worthless to begin with and only gained value in the minds of scam artists and marginally wealthy idiots DESPERATE to be in on the 'new thing'

It's a ZERO dollar piece of code sold first for one million dollars and THEN for 12... but it never had any real value outside of a couple of people's imaginations... not even the marginal material value that we can associate with paper money, at least money is made of paper and cloth. If we were dying in a snowstorm you could burn money for warmth!

You can't do anything with an NFT but lose all that fire kindling!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I can see an NFT as a hard to hack chain of ownership. For example, how do you prove you own your home? You have a filed deed. But how is that proof? Cause there's a transaction of a sale and so forth. But for other items there is no proof chain like that which would be hard to muck with. So having a block chain based system to prove ownership might come in handy like you register an original music theme or some art. As for selling it... yeah seems stupid.
McGheeny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Personally, I don't get the attraction. Probably because I am old school I keep my money in old fashion institutions.

I don't really understand the whole NFT world. It is interesting that several have reached out to me about using my work and wanting me to create for them.
SHL
Producer
Producer

sensualbarbarian wrote:
1 year ago
I joked about launching an NFT project over at HeroineMovies for April fools day

Granted...

I don't think NFTs are half as bad as anyone makes them. A lot of the sentiment around them, which I think is reflected in this comment section, I think is massively misguided because a lack of vision/hindsight into institutions around ownership and art

Like, anyone who uses the argument they can download a jpeg and that somehow defeats the concept of NFTs - do you know anything about art institutions? I am sure you have all been to an art museum at least once in your life, every major city usually has 'free' days to visit places like the Art Institute of Chicago, yet many people don't sit around and question why someone like Oprah would buy paintings and loan them to museums to display for you to go see for free. Many of you don't question or research how many famous paintings in museums might not even be originals, they might be hanging in some billionaires kitchen while you stare at its replica hanging in a museum

So, if you can buy a postcard of the Mona Lisa and go see it hanging on the wall behind bullet proof glass, unable to prove you went to Paris to see the real thing - it becomes messy to not just argue 'why don't you just download the jpeg of the Mona Lisa bro'

There's a dynamically complicated relationship between 'old money' and 'art' as its culturally been sold to you your whole life. Your art history books are informed by institutions with deep rooted history in white supremacy, which have had a massive bias to place 'old money' funded art on a pedestal, convinced you of its high value in culture/history and then created facilities to reinforce this foundation of elitism and value

The rich treat art like a stock investment. If they didn't - you wouldn't know about Picasso unless you heard about him on some underground podcast. So if you are stuck in a prejudice against NFTs - maybe try to widen that prejudice to include institutional art at large - or - maybe do the opposite and consider NFTs are not something new, its something you have been sold your whole life: that a claim to the original of something in culture is somehow more valuable than just being the spectator to that object itself

NFTs - are like the art world as we know it, mixed with some country club elitism

And if you have never posted online, on some forum or twitter about how much you hate country clubs and art museums then maybe dont be so quick to judge something like NFTs with so much confidence. Because it only shows that YOU yourself are blind to the mechanics of the RICH and how they have controlled the narrative of your life like a puppet show

I, for one, dont place much value in things like the Mona Lisa, care wether or not the original is hanging inside the Louvre and can care less if your millionaire grand father like to smoke cigars in the country club he is a member of. Life too short to be concerned about practices and foundations that others live their life by. I have my own life, I can live next to my neighbor and not dictate or police how he doesn't share my values. Don't piss on someone else's parade
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

There's nothing wrong with the idea of a receipt for ownership, I remember hearing a girl point out that for high value purses they do issue tickets of authenticity. The difference between those and NFTS though are that the purses actually have an agreed upon commercial value, serve a function, and look nice. Compare that to NFTS where half the art is hideous and 90% of the art that isn't hideous is stolen, and people have the fucking gall to unironically tell artist that they should just make their own NFTs to avoid the problem, it just reeks of a scam from top to bottom where the only money to be made is by tricking the people who weren't smart enough to realize it was a scam before you did.

Damselbinder

Big problem with that argument is that there's legions of tech-bros who see NFTs (etc) as the "future" of ownership and online security and so on, wanting people to store driver's licenses and college degrees and so on 'on the chain'. And if enough rich tech-bros start trying to make fetch happen, it will start to happen. Even people that think NFTs are a disaster waiting to happen will be forced to use them.

The "oh well someone can just copypaste" argument is the thin end of the wedge of why NFTs are such a scam. The more important reasons are that the security of the system is awful, there's very, very little in the way of policing when outright fraud occurs - there's basically nothing you can do except try to put pressure on the people running the system and they can plenty ignore you - and effectively the ENTIRE THING is a pyramid scheme. There are hazy promises of 'things' (like comics or MMOs) that participants will be able to access in the future, but they never materialise. Effectively you're just supposed to get in early, generate as much hype as possible, and then the stuff you bought will be worth more once your NFT (etc) goes "to the moon".
joejanus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

My basic attitude is if someone can't explain an investment to you in a way that makes sense, it's a scam. Not sure how much an artist is hurt by their work being pirated into an NFT. Essentially someone else is using your work to scam a third party, so it's not revenue you could have earned anyway, but it's annoying as hell to be used like that. Some scammer utters the magic word "Blockchain!" and the suckers pull out their wallets.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ThatOnePervert wrote:
1 year ago
Compare that to NFTS where half the art is hideous and 90% of the art that isn't hideous is stolen, and people have the fucking gall to unironically tell artist that they should just make their own NFTs to avoid the problem
Yes there is nothing to stop a country that doesn't play by the rules (as already happens) to just post your stuff and say "come get me". I deal with this all the time with pirates. Non-enforceable.
Bladebur
Henchman
Henchman

I like the technology and the concept behind blockchains and NFTs, but I see barely any relationship between NFTs and art, so I don't think there is any useful link to the fetish world. NFTs are just entries in a public ledger, nothing more. The art of an NFT is something like an app's icon. It's not the point.

The blockchain could be useful in the fetish world because it could be used to circumvent insane payment processors which would block perfectly legal operations otherwise. That's a can of worms by itself, though. The crypto world is just too volatile and immature, and the amount of hoops a customer must go through in order to pay something in crypto is ridiculous. Not to mention how, depending on your country's regulations, selling things for crypto may be a massive headache, subject to extra taxes, or downright illegal.