Superboy 1960 comic number 271 is how Lex grew to hate superboy and Kryptonians

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

This quote :
In 1960, Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel explained Lex's lack of hair in Adventure Comics #271. In a backstory involving a young Lex Luthor and Superboy (Clark Kent), the science-minded redhead saves the Boy of Steel from a kryptonite meteor. Thankful for the act of kindness, Superboy builds his savior a laboratory, which Lex uses to develop a cure for kryptonite poisoning. But their BFF status is short-lived, after a fire breaks out in Lex’s lab and Clark, in a moment of panic, uses his “super-breath” to blow out the flames. This causes a container of acid to fall on the genetically engineered protoplasm Lex was using to synthesize his kryptonite cure, and in its death throes the organism belches out a vapor that causes Luthor’s hair to fall out. Rightfully livid about his new look, Lex promises payback against Superboy. And the rest, as they say, is history.
is from the following link: https://screenrant.com/superman-lex-lut ... r-mistake/

None of the movies nor the 1990's Lois and Clark refer to the event when they were young that led to the hatred Lex had for Superboy / Superman / Supergirl.

Was this omission either from ignorgance, laziness or not caring about sticking to this backstory.

I do recall reading the backstory comicbook.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I recall reading that comic as well. I have to put it down to laziness or not caring on the part of the SG series writers. As for the SM movie series, I have no clue as to why they didn't use it. Perhaps they thought it was too shallow a reason?
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

There was also the need to shorten movies by cutting out material that isn't important to the plot. All those deleted scenes on the DVD. Only the most recent Batman v Superman and Supergirl TV series bothered to have a reason for Luthor to hate Superman.

In the first Superman movie, the bald Gene Hackman version of Lex Luthor was always wearing toupees to hide his baldness. It was minor running gag that only took seconds, like when Otis was dusting them and almost knocks them off their head stands.
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Visitor wrote:
2 years ago
There was also the need to shorten movies by cutting out material that isn't important to the plot. All those deleted scenes on the DVD. Only the most recent Batman v Superman and Supergirl TV series bothered to have a reason for Luthor to hate Superman.

In the first Superman movie, the bald Gene Hackman version of Lex Luthor was always wearing toupees to hide his baldness. It was minor running gag that only took seconds, like when Otis was dusting them and almost knocks them off their head stands.
A 30 t0 50 second flashback showing Superboy blowing out the fire, leading to the acid falling and causing Lex to lose his hair, and showing his immediate ange,; presto, back to the present.
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
I recall reading that comic as well. I have to put it down to laziness or not caring on the part of the SG series writers. As for the SM movie series, I have no clue as to why they didn't use it. Perhaps they thought it was too shallow a reason?
ex at the time was a teen. He, perhaps, like most teens, thought his looks were important. Thus, losing his hair, at that time in his life was vitally important.

Thus, over the years, perhaps his anger kept growing though he may have allowed the genesis for his anger may have dissipated a bit, it would always be there.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

In the Superfriends cartoon they had this scenario
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

The problem with back stories is you have a convoluted path to a pretty weird place…. A recurrent problem with reboots on characters is going back and retelling the same story over and over again. How many times do we need to hear about ma &pa Kent finding Clark and raising him on a farm and blah, blah….

Knowing the origins of Lex is best left to an expository paragraph or 1970s cartoon. Unless you are going to put some real juice behind it (like the recent Joker movie). The Heath Ledger Joker already existed before meeting Batman. The story goes from their meet up. I was already cool with Wonder Woman being from an island of Amazons. I don’t need to revisit it for every show and movie. If it works for a particular character arch, fine, but we don’t need to see Clark Kent, Batman, Supergirl and the Wonder Twins slide off the hay wagon for the first time…
DanDud88
Henchman
Henchman

I take it none of you have watched Smallvile where the meteorshower makes lex bold.
Damselbinder

dragontigerandhorse1985 wrote:
2 years ago
This quote :
In 1960, Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel explained Lex's lack of hair in Adventure Comics #271. In a backstory involving a young Lex Luthor and Superboy (Clark Kent), the science-minded redhead saves the Boy of Steel from a kryptonite meteor. Thankful for the act of kindness, Superboy builds his savior a laboratory, which Lex uses to develop a cure for kryptonite poisoning. But their BFF status is short-lived, after a fire breaks out in Lex’s lab and Clark, in a moment of panic, uses his “super-breath” to blow out the flames. This causes a container of acid to fall on the genetically engineered protoplasm Lex was using to synthesize his kryptonite cure, and in its death throes the organism belches out a vapor that causes Luthor’s hair to fall out. Rightfully livid about his new look, Lex promises payback against Superboy. And the rest, as they say, is history.
is from the following link: https://screenrant.com/superman-lex-lut ... r-mistake/

None of the movies nor the 1990's Lois and Clark refer to the event when they were young that led to the hatred Lex had for Superboy / Superman / Supergirl.

Was this omission either from ignorgance, laziness or not caring about sticking to this backstory.

I do recall reading the backstory comicbook.

Presumably the omission came from the fact that that's fucking stupid and makes Lex seem like a petty jerk.

Some things deserve to be ignored.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

100% agree Damselbinder. Its a stupid reason.

I like the more recent (like 5 plus years ago) that Luthor genuinely sees metas and especially aliens as a threat and so thinks humans should control things and not be at the mercy of do-gooders from the stars. If you notice a lot of the Justice League are non-human. Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter... all not human per say. Not sure what category Wonder Woman and Aquaman is in since they are terrestrial but maybe not homosapien... not sure. Aquaman is definitely an offshoot human.
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago

I like the more recent (like 5 plus years ago) that Luthor genuinely sees metas and especially aliens as a threat and so thinks humans should control things and not be at the mercy of do-gooders from the stars. If you notice a lot of the Justice League are non-human. Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter... all not human per say. Not sure what category Wonder Woman and Aquaman is in since they are terrestrial but maybe not homosapien... not sure. Aquaman is definitely an offshoot human.
I like the idea that that pro-human posturing is a front for his ego. Like after the whole death of Superman thing and Supes is back he goes to Lex and is like "hey Lex you said without me humanity would be free to grow and evolve. Well where's the cancer cure? Or did you pretty much just spend your whole time being evil still?

Cunt."

(Also it's 'per se' - which I know is annoying and dickish of me to point out but there we are.)
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yes Superman also points this out in All Star Superman that Lex could have saved humanity any time he wanted.
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago

I like the idea that that pro-human posturing is a front for his ego. Like after the whole death of Superman thing and Supes is back he goes to Lex and is like "hey Lex you said without me humanity would be free to grow and evolve. Well where's the cancer cure? Or did you pretty much just spend your whole time being evil still?

Cunt."

(Also it's 'per se' - which I know is annoying and dickish of me to point out but there we are.)
A thought, the genesis of the hatred Lex was at the time legit, but over the years, the reason could have morphed from losing his hair to fearing aliens later in life. There is no reason, therefore to be dismissive of the first; while, in the second pace believening all sups as aliens are the real threat to world safety. Correct?
Damselbinder

2 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago

Cunt."

A thought, the genesis of the hatred Lex was at the time legit, but over the years, the reason could have morphed from losing his hair to fearing aliens later in life. There is no reason, therefore to be dismissive of the first; while, in the second pace believening all sups as aliens are the real threat to world safety. Correct?
There is every reason. The baldness thing is absurd silver-agery.
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
2 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago

Cunt."

There is every reason. The baldness thing is absurd silver-agery.
I resemble the silver agery analogy, but, as the baldness started the hatred, it can't be dismissed, but it takes the back burner to Lex in his later years as he morphs into seeing all supers as alien menace to be erradicated like vermin.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

List of Supervillain motives for world domination and a hatred of Superheroes

1. Powertrip
2. Greed
3. Megalomania
4. Love
5. Psycopathy
6. Sociopathy
Etc etc.
478. Revenge because he made me bald.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
List of Supervillain motives for world domination and a hatred of Superheroes

1. Powertrip
2. Greed
3. Megalomania
4. Love
5. Psycopathy
6. Sociopathy
Etc etc.
478. Revenge because he made me bald.
7. Got Malibu Barbie instead of Ballerina Barbie for her birthday "I'm a ballerina!!!!!"
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

10. Jealousy (Cheetah Priscilla Rich after seeing Wonder Woman get more applause than her)