Barbarella (2021, Dynamite)

shevek
Producer
Producer

This new Barbarella series has apparently been running since the middle of last year but I was unaware of it
until I ran across a Youtuber's review of one of the issues. They're currently up to Issue 7.

The new writer for Barbarella (on Dynamite) is Sarah A. Hoyt.
She's never written a comic book before, but she has an immense amount of experience writing science-fiction and fantasy novels,
and she doesn't come at it from the usual perspective you would expect these days from sci-fi authors.

Namely, she is quite "based", and was actually part of Larry Correia's "Sad Puppies" group of authors who tried to reverse the political bias at the Science Fiction Writers of America awards back in 2014. She also has won awards for best "libertarian" SF.

Anyway, regardless of the politics (please don't harp on that), Hoyt has apparently studied up on how to write a serial comic, and has been doing a really good job chronicling Barbarella's adventures through space with her angelic A.I. Taln and fox-like companion Vix (who turns out to be much more than she seems - plot twist!), as they visit a new planet every issue.

This is classic 1960s/1970s science-fiction adventure, with Barbarella looking and acting very sexy throughout (she makes love to various alien males along the way), and promoting her philosophy of peace and love as best she can (while getting into regular perils). Hoyt actually writes her as a bit of a ditz, who occasionally needs help from Vix to get out of a jam.

The beautiful art is by Madibek Musabekov, who is from Kazakhstan (never heard of a comic artist from there before!), with pinch hitter Tommaso Bianchi from Italy only on Issue 6 (there are 7 issues out so far). He does an amazing job - her tight spandex costume and her luscious body is constantly on display (although the issue itself is appropriate for teens and up - no outright nudity).

Plus, there are some great variant covers: here are two from Issue 7 by Carla Cohen and Derrick Chew.
Just gorgeous work, and fun to read! Should definitely be up the alley of quite a few members of this forum,
who can probably think up quite a few perils that Barbarella could get into in the future.

Check it out at your local LCS if you're so inclined.
RCO010_1645635743.jpg
RCO010_1645635743.jpg (453.71 KiB) Viewed 997 times
RCO001_1645635743.jpg
RCO001_1645635743.jpg (245.52 KiB) Viewed 997 times
RCO002_1645635743.jpg
RCO002_1645635743.jpg (289 KiB) Viewed 997 times
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

Excellent contribution! :w00t:
Bert

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Namely, she is quite "based", and was actually part of Larry Correia's "Sad Puppies" group of authors who tried to reverse the political bias at the Science Fiction Writers of America awards back in 2014. She also has won awards for best "libertarian" SF.

Anyway, regardless of the politics (please don't harp on that)
At this point shevek's penchant for injecting his politics into posts has become an absurd joke. For a guy who has repeatedly been called out for doing this, shevek actually has the nerve to wedge it in again, and then request that others don't "harp" on it. He's literally saying "do as I say, not as I do."
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

It’s a shame the Amazon series never made it to the screen.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Bert wrote:
2 years ago
shevek wrote:
2 years ago

Anyway, regardless of the politics (please don't harp on that)
At this point shevek's penchant for injecting his politics into posts has become an absurd joke. For a guy who has repeatedly been called out for doing this, shevek actually has the nerve to wedge it in again, and then request that others don't "harp" on it. He's literally saying "do as I say, not as I do."
Not really. Those are *her* political leanings, not mine. I discovered the information on her Wikipedia page while looking for a little background on the writer. It's notable because it's unusual for a current writer on a mainstream book to publicly have such leanings, and also because she was involved in a significant pop-culture occurrence (the Sad Puppies initiative). That's really about it.
sneakly wrote:
2 years ago
It’s a shame the Amazon series never made it to the screen.
Never even knew that happened, but I looked back, and there were various announcements about it in 2012-2014.
Also found out that Robert Rodriguez and Dino De Laurentiis were interested in a remake about 20 years ago.
It's probably impossible to remake at this point with Hollywood money, but could probably still be tackled overseas.
The director that was going to remake Barbarella (Nicolas Winding Refn) wound up making The Neon Demon instead, so I'm going to check that out and see if it's any good.
Bert

You missed the point. You don't get to inject politics into discussions and then instruct others not to respond to them.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Let's leave it there on the politics, folks, and concentrate on that lovely cleavage. Sexism lives!!

:blink:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Does she get forced orgasms in this too?? And what about that lovely gentleman Dildono, he in it??
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Without wanting to transgress, I opened this braced for a desexualisation and demoralisation effort, was pleasantly surprised! Some of the covers are excellent https://dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProd ... 6335301011
shevek
Producer
Producer

ivandobsky wrote:
2 years ago
Without wanting to transgress, I opened this braced for a desexualisation and demoralisation effort, was pleasantly surprised! Some of the covers are excellent https://dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProd ... 6335301011
Ivan - the link you have provided is for the 2017 12-issue Barbarella run by Mike Carey, not the current run by Sarah Hoyt.
While the Carey did have some great covers by comics legends (Kenneth Rocafort, Joseph Michael Linsner, Robert Hack),
the interior art by Kenan Yerar wasn't that great.

In the new Hoyt run, the interior art (by Musabekov) is way better. Dynamite in general is stepping up their game with bad-girl books: now they have Christopher Priest writing a run for Draculina (Vampirella's ultra-sexy blonde little sister).