Watch People Realize they're ACTUALLY talking to a DEEPFAKE

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Tech that allows you to deep fake a face live as you stream. This is just in its infancy. Imagine what this will be like in 2 years. Imagine OF girls really being dudes. If you can map a face, why not a body. Simply put you're not going to know what's real anymore.
Last edited by Mr. X 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
shzam
Henchman
Henchman

Definitely scary! But also a little cool.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

All it takes is enough computer power to process the information in real time. Hollywood already does it to modify footage to use dead or wrong age actors. Think Harold Ramis in Ghostbuster: Afterlife or Kurt Russell in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

What's scary is all the fraud that can be done with creating fake footage. Making famous people appear to be saying things that never happened.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

There's a streamer who spent $13k on a motion suit and she streams live by rendering through Unity as a 3d character. yes the fraud deep fakes will get scary. This is where I think block chain tech in video could be helpful. Each frame is hash coded based on the previous frame and if a video is hacked the hash codes won't match.
tamonicus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

What's scary is all the fraud that can be done with creating fake footage. Making famous people appear to be saying things that never happened.
I know this is off-topic, but the prospect of that is terrifying. People can substantiate whatever reality they choose.

Back to the topic: I'm an ElectraWoman & DynaGirl fan. I always thought they pulled the plug on that show too soon. (I understand Deidre Hall got the Days of Our Lives gig.) I also thought that the episodes they did cut could've been much more entertaining had they need been broadcast on Saturday mornings. I can't wait to see what someone constructs with deepfake.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
Imagine what this will be like in 2 years. Imagine OF girls really being dudes.
Don't ever go on twitter.
Visitor wrote:
2 years ago
Making famous people appear to be saying things that never happened.
Official statements will have to be cryptographically signed by the person(s) in question. Deciding whether the thing they definitely said is actually true won't get any easier though!

This tech is relevant to the topic of this website. Prefer a different lady's face? Use deepfake. Would be nice if it worked on clunky shoes. Maybe i'll take a crack at it one day.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

This is unavoidable. I dunno quite that I agree in the concept of this 'deep fake' or 'deep fraud' conceptuality. If a youtouber or similar socialite wants to run a channel without showing their face I don't consider that dishonest or 'fraud'... these people never 'owed' you their face... they already largely do their best to prevent viewers from learning where they live to keep psychos from oh... say... loosing a Swat team on them for a practical joke... realistically YOU are a lot more dangerous to them than they are to you.

That said the OTHER possibilities of this technology brought to their logical conclusion has sort of been explored in science fiction for years. In Star Trek video recordings are all but obsolete as useful technology for prosecution or presenting evidence because they are too easily fudged. This was always going to happen eventually, its less that the technology is a functional amplification to fraud... and more that it will eventually herald the end of our overall reliance on video recordings as 'incontrovertible evidence'. The price of introducing new technologies has always been the eventual outmoding of older tech or else a change in the practical applications of those older technologies.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

And when everyone's super...
...no one will be.