RIP Sidney Poitier

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Last edited by Dazzle1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
shevek
Producer
Producer

My mom, the classic second-wave liberal feminist, had a crush on both Sidney Poitier and Harry Bellafonte.
She never failed to tell me this, as we listened to "Man Smart (Woman Smarter)" on the "Calypso" LP for the thousandth time.
Sidney made 'em swoon for sure. Amazing career. RIP.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Superb in "In the Heat of the Night"
"They call me MISTER TIBBS" is one of the classic cinema lines of all time
A great talent and from others who knew him, a good human being.
RIP
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Damselbinder

If you're going to give someone an RIP post maybe you'd spare the concentration to spell at least one of his names right.
Bert

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
If you're going to give someone an RIP post maybe you'd spare the concentration to spell at least one of his names right.
This literally made me laugh out loud!

As for Snidly Pottery, he was exactly the right man to put black actors on the map. Supremely talented yes, but he also exuded a level of dignity that precious few mortals could match.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Bert wrote:
2 years ago
As for Snidly Pottery, he was exactly the right man to put black actors on the map. Supremely talented yes, but he also exuded a level of dignity that precious few mortals could match.
True, although he was by far not the first to do so. Preceding Poitier and Bellafonte by a generation was actor/singer Paul Robeson, who had the voice of a god.

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of Oprah, but she can bring you close to tears with this obituary report.
"I think of myself as a man". Elegy to his greatness.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Can we all agree he's Sidney Potter?

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
Sorry to offend the spelling police
Damselbinder

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
Don't be obtuse. Ordinarily I wouldn't call someone out for misspelling a title. But it was a tribute post, and you spelled his first AND second name wrong. If you died and I made a post titled "in memoriam Dozzle8", people might not necessarily think my grief was sincere.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Guys we all have our problems and issues in real life from dyslexia to being tired after a long day to just being in a hurry as you have a million and one other things to do beside post here (many is the rime I've been up at 4 am wiping faeces off my mother's behind and I have often posted on here afterwards to chill and my spelling isn't foremost in my mind when I do).

Let's not judge each other on such mistakes and just commemorate a great actors passing. Should have put an apostrophe after actor but I like to live life on the edge.

Incidentally I don't even know if Sidney Poitier was his real name or stage name. He never struck me as a 'Sidney'
But whatever he called himself and however we spell his name it's sad that we won't see his brilliance anymore.

Bert

Nope, gotta side with DB on this one. It isn't just a simple case of making a spelling error. The thread is supposed to be a tribute to the man, and it isn't the easiest name to spell. How do you not take the time to check? It comes of as disrespectful and careless.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

It's not like theres any glory to be had from starting a RIP thread. It was done as he admired the guys work and will miss it in the future. It wasn't some intentional slight, just a typo. Could have been handled with a PM to the poster, but wasnt.
Move along people, nothing to see here

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
Don't be obtuse. Ordinarily I wouldn't call someone out for misspelling a title. But it was a tribute post, and you spelled his first AND second name wrong. If you died and I made a post titled "in memoriam Dozzle8", people might not necessarily think my grief was sincere.
Damsel, you have a history going after me.

So just go away
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Right no more on this please from either side.
Dazzle, do you want to edit the title in your first post please and we can stop all this.

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Tallyho:

I will do so, but Damsel you will do me the favor and no longer reply to any of my posts.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Bert I have removed your post.

It was a request not a demand Dazzle made.
But I found it interesting how you were perfectly capable of ascribing motives to the original poster, yet not capable of envisioning scenarios where he might have other things going on in his life that meant he didn't spot a typo. (let's not forget spell checker wouldn't have flagged up either error.)

Let's keep it about our thoughts on Sidneys work please not on our opinions of each other

ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

David Brent's favourite actor. RIP.
Bert

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
Tallyho:

I will do so, but Damsel you will do me the favor and no longer reply to any of my posts.
As you can plainly see, emphasized by the bold print I added, it was a demand, not a request. Also, I did not ascribe motives to Daz, I merely questioned his motives because he made no comment, just posted a link. Furthermore, my comment was in support of one of your own moderators. And finally, it wasn't a simple typo - he butchered both names of the actor. The censor policies here can be surprising at times.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bret:

I have posted several RIPs some with comments some with just the links.

Damsel has been going after me, on several issues. So I am a little testy when it comes to his actions
Bert

Very funny.