Around the World in 80 Days

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

David Tennant stars in Around the World in 80 Days

Tennant one of the few bright spots on the New Doctor Who is an excellent actor

Also this is on PBS, so most people can see it.

This Sunday
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I don't know what happened there but my post leap fogged Dazzles. So here it is again -

It's quite different to the usual story. I'm not trying to be a buzz kill but I'm not sure I like it.
Be interested to see what you guys that side of the water make of it.
Tennant is his usual excellent self but I don't really buy into the changes they've made to the story. They have a female reporter tagging along with them for starters
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
shevek
Producer
Producer

PASSEPARTOUT! (Remember this cartoon, where the 'bet' was over Phileas' marrying his opponent's daughter. Goofy fun when we were kids - perfect back to back with Pink Panther)

Anyway....looks like the BBC has done what it often does to subvert expectations.
NINTCHDBPICT000696036013-3.jpg
NINTCHDBPICT000696036013-3.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1053 times
It's interesting that the female reporter (which Tallyo mentions) is named "Abigail Fix" as a direct reference to the Detective Fix/Mr Fix secret saboteur in other versions, but rather than being a 'saboteuse' here, she's both a love interest for Passepartout, and an intrepid first-wave feminist heroine stand-in for Nellie Bly (who actually did the circumnavigation in 72 days in real life, meeting Jules Verne at the finish).

Abigail actress Leonie Benesch is an attractive strawberry blonde, and could be a bright spot in the viewing, but if you stick with the
episodes (8 in total for 1st season), you will also run across Shivaani Ghai, who played Safiyah on the Batwoman show, and here portrays classic Orientalist temptress Aouda.

Looks like director Ashley Pharaoh will also be directing a series of Journey to the Center of the Earth - it's a regular Verne revival. Not surprising, as Verne is the author of many of the original generation of "IPs".

I'll check it out.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I took the reporter to be revised love interest for Phogg (or is it Fogg) rather than Passepartout. I just assumed they were gonna morph the story so he doesn't come back with the Indian princess that was Shirley McLean? In the David Niven film version. I haven't read the book so my assumptions are based on the 4 or so film or TV drama versions I've seen.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The book had less romance and more action.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Visitor wrote:
2 years ago
The book had less romance and more action.
I always suspected as much.

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I watched the first episode and it is significantly different than the book and previous adaptations. The characters are the main change with elements from the Niven movie with balloon travel. Also the introduction of political events to remove more of the book's timeless elements.

Don't get me started on the subtitles. :)
Bert

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
she's both a love interest for Passepartout, and an intrepid first-wave feminist heroine stand-in
Well thank goodness she's not just a character in the story who happens to be female.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Bert wrote:
2 years ago
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
she's both a love interest for Passepartout, and an intrepid first-wave feminist heroine stand-in
Well thank goodness she's not just a character in the story who happens to be female.
Snider cut. (you clipped out part of my sentence to pull it out of context)

The fact is: there's never been a female reporter in any other iteration of Around the World in 80 Days, let alone in the echelon of
the three main characters. So, because Nellie Bly actually made it around the world in 72 days inspired by Verne's novel, I'm pretty sure that the inclusion of that character is a direct allusion to Nellie Bly. That is what I said. Nellie Bly also happens to be the perfect example of an intrepid first-wave feminist heroine.
Bert

Taking something out of context means cutting it out in a way that drastically changes its meaning. I didn't do that, I just quoted part of your sentence. The meaning isn't changed at all.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Bert wrote:
2 years ago
Taking something out of context means cutting it out in a way that drastically changes its meaning. I didn't do that, I just quoted part of your sentence. The meaning isn't changed at all.
Part of the purpose of the sentence was to make the Nellie Bly observation. You cut that out in order to deny me credit for that observation. While it admittedly doesn't change the meaning of the sentence *drastically*, it does suit your purpose, which was to change the meaning of the sentence *just enough* to paint me in an ill light. Anyone can readily see this.

Anyway, I've decided not to watch this series based on various reviews I've seen (including that of Victor's). So I won't be returning
to this particular thread. Carry on, then.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I had to miss the first episode, and I did not have a chance to record it. I have to see if my provider has on demand with PBS.

On adding a character that was not in the book to change the story especially a book, usually is a mistake
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It's not the most complicated story. Dude goes around the world in a hurry. The end.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Dogfish wrote:
2 years ago
It's not the most complicated story. Dude goes around the world in a hurry. The end.
Well they left the 'hurry' bit out.

I have seen the series and found it totally dull with none of the pace, drama and entertainmemt of the other adaptations and with an utterly unsatisfying ending that just left me wondering why I had wasted 8 hrs of my life for that.
Its been a long time since i've seen a conclusion to a series that left the viewer so utterly unfulfilled.
Well acted with a good period feel but poorly written and with crude moralising that was just clumsy and inept in putting over 21st century morals on a 19th/20th century story.

ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

The story just doesn't seem right with humans playing the characters.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Anyone with thoughts on how the ending compared to the book?
Please use the Spoiler button to post.