Tom Brady Comes Back Home

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Tom Brady comes back to New England tonightfor the first time since he left the Pats in 2019, winning 6 SuperBowls in 20 years in his career as QB with the Pats. A lot has been written this past week and last year or so in regards to the 21 year relationship between Brady and Head Coach Bill Belichick and to be sure, there must have been considerable tensions at the end of that 21 year relationship between the two, though I think those tensions have been greatly exaggerated by sports media dopes and scribes. Those media dopes in my view in their "reporting" have sought to divide Pats fans by trying to exacerbate that divide between Brady and Belichick, trying to conjure this into a team Brady vs. team Belichick/Pats debate which I think is a stupid and false choice, I choose both, how can a Pats fan boo a guy who brought you 6 SuperBowls, I will forever be grateful for that unrivaled success, and that goes for HC Belichick as well, the architect of such an unprecedented and successful run. I give Belichick a break for cutting ties with Brady in that Brady is such an outlier, playing at such a high level at QB into his forties, which is fairly unprecedented in the modern NFL where these QB's bodies take brutal punishment every week, most QB's wind down their careers in their late 30's. I hope the Pats can at least keep it close tonight and make the game competitive.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I think it's great he's done all that with 6 kids and made a TV show in the 60s :giggle:
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
Tom Brady comes back to New England tonightfor the first time since he left the Pats in 2019, winning 6 SuperBowls in 20 years in his career as QB with the Pats. A lot has been written this past week and last year or so in regards to the 21 year relationship between Brady and Head Coach Bill Belichick and to be sure, there must have been considerable tensions at the end of that 21 year relationship between the two, though I think those tensions have been greatly exaggerated by sports media dopes and scribes. Those media dopes in my view in their "reporting" have sought to divide Pats fans by trying to exacerbate that divide between Brady and Belichick, trying to conjure this into a team Brady vs. team Belichick/Pats debate which I think is a stupid and false choice, I choose both, how can a Pats fan boo a guy who brought you 6 SuperBowls, I will forever be grateful for that unrivaled success, and that goes for HC Belichick as well, the architect of such an unprecedented and successful run. I give Belichick a break for cutting ties with Brady in that Brady is such an outlier, playing at such a high level at QB into his forties, which is fairly unprecedented in the modern NFL where these QB's bodies take brutal punishment every week, most QB's wind down their careers in their late 30's. I hope the Pats can at least keep it close tonight and make the game competitive.
Almost no Boston area fans boo Brady.

What I can't understand is if you look at his journey as a 6th round draft pick and his accomplishments why he is not respected universally by NFL fans and commentators
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago

What I can't understand is if you look at his journey as a 6th round draft pick and his accomplishments why he is not respected universally by NFL fans and commentators
There were small pockets of Brady booing bozos. I think the ignorant national sports media bozos who parachute into a city for three days and try to impose that false narrative of unappreciative anti-Brady fans were disappointed to find it hard to confirm their faulty narrative. I think part of the Brady hate in some quarters is a result of Patriots fatigue from winning six SuperBowls, some folks get tired of the same team winning all of the time and begin to resent players associated with that unprecedented run. 31 other teams wish they had a QB like Brady and they are jealous they do not have the GOAT.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago

There were small pockets of Brady booing bozos. I think the ignorant national sports media bozos who parachute into a city for three days and try to impose that false narrative of unappreciative anti-Brady fans were disappointed to find it hard to confirm their faulty narrative. I think part of the Brady hate in some quarters is a result of Patriots fatigue from winning six SuperBowls, some folks get tired of the same team winning all of the time and begin to resent players associated with that unprecedented run. 31 other teams wish they had a QB like Brady and they are jealous they do not have the GOAT.
But he should be looked in the same light as Derek Jeter or Mariano Rivera who even were respected by Red Sox fans
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago

But he should be looked in the same light as Derek Jeter or Mariano Rivera who even were respected by Red Sox fans
I think part of the reason Jeter and Rivera are seen the way they are was because they played in New York. New York, being the center of the media universe, sportswriters there have the unique ability to position those players as national, beloved heroes, and in Jeter's case, to prop him up as better than he actually was as a player. Jeter was a great player for sure, but he was overrated thanks to the fanboy sports media machine in New York. That media machine in New York is all powerful and influential.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago

I think part of the reason Jeter and Rivera are seen the way they are was because they played in New York. New York, being the center of the media universe, sportswriters there have the unique ability to position those players as national, beloved heroes, and in Jeter's case, to prop him up as better than he actually was as a player. Jeter was a great player for sure, but he was overrated thanks to the fanboy sports media machine in New York. That media machine in New York is all powerful and influential.
Can't agree. NY players are generally hated because of the arrogance of NY sports fans. Granted I am from Boston, but I hate all the time given to the NY Knicks for example when the important franchise in basketball for the Northeast is the Celtics followed by the Sixers. Add to the fact most of the ESPN shows are dominated by NY homers
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago

Can't agree. NY players are generally hated because of the arrogance of NY sports fans. Granted I am from Boston, but I hate all the time given to the NY Knicks for example when the important franchise in basketball for the Northeast is the Celtics followed by the Sixers. Add to the fact most of the ESPN shows are dominated by NY homers
I think that was true a generation ago, perhaps in the 70's and 80's, but I remember the narrative when those great 90's-2000's Yankees teams that the players on those teams were a likeable bunch unlike members of those previous eras. You just illustrated my point with your reference to those ESPN shows dominated by NY homers, they are able to spew their NY biased fanboy hagiography opinions about NY players. The few unlikeable players the Yanks acquired along the way like Clemens, A Rod, and others were the exception rather than the rule, those Yankee teams were likeable teams even though as someone from Boston, I was always rooting for them to lose. What further proof do you need of these NY media fanboys power than their efforts to get Eli Manning into the Hall of Fame, and the fact that those efforts seem to be getting some traction in some quarters. If Eli played in any other market, this would not be even a question.