A video speaks to The Flash is Insufferably Inconsistent

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I would like to link to it, but, as it is not a preview, promo, I can't use it here.

But, in the video alludes to inconsistent issues with the Flash.

Example.

Snark used cold gun,
But, before that, Flash in much faster than blink of an eye,
took guns out of hsnds of several bad men in less than a second.

But, when Flash meets up with Snark,
the cold gun is pointed down and Flash is but standing a few feet from Snark.

Flash, is much faster than Snark is at bringing gun up to fire.

Thus, the script writers, did not think about making Flash inconsistent when he fought bad people.

That is jist of the video.

The same person made a vid for seasons one and two

There are many more examples from the two videos.

The question, were the writers not thinking about how stupid they were making Flash look.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well that's just stating the obvious. How many times do they think they know what the bad guy is planning, turn up and don't disarm them straight away but stop and have a chat thereby allowing the surprise ambush that puts them in peril.
It's just the nature of the show. And indeed almost all the SH shows. They behave stupidly, given their powers, for the sake of the plot and introducing some element of danger.
It's the nature of the beast.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Once you establish that your character can not only move, but also process information hundreds of times faster than any human being you either have to introduce enemies just as fast, enemies who rely on very specific an advanced planning or realize you got to nerf him occasionally. I generally find super speed to be one of those game breaking powers unless it has the right weaknesses.

There's this video that was made about Dragonball Z, but also briefly touches on the Flash problem of ridiculous levels of speed and power. Worth a watch if you're ever worried about power scaling

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Or as in Dragon Ball they use the speed to avoid doing animations. The usual scene of zips and clashes across the sky then some witness saying "they move so fast I can't even see them".
Damselbinder

This is a problem much, much larger than just a particular superhero show. It's been an issue since superhero fiction came to exist.
Bert

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
This is a problem much, much larger than just a particular superhero show. It's been an issue since superhero fiction came to exist.
That's a totally fair comment, but degree matters too. At some level there will always be inconsistencies if the power levels are high, but that doesn't mean you don't even try. When writers make zero effort to keep things at least superficially feasible and somewhat consistent from one episode to the next, the audience begins to feel disrespected pretty quickly. When the hero's abilities vary wildly based on the needs of any particular episode's requirements, viewers start rolling their eyes and groaning. It's just ultra lazy writing.
Damselbinder

Bert wrote:
2 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
That's a totally fair comment, but degree matters too. At some level there will always be inconsistencies if the power levels are high, but that doesn't mean you don't even try. When writers make zero effort to keep things at least superficially feasible and somewhat consistent from one episode to the next, the audience begins to feel disrespected pretty quickly. When the hero's abilities vary wildly based on the needs of any particular episode's requirements, viewers start rolling their eyes and groaning. It's just ultra lazy writing.
That's fair. I guess it just didn't sound like any of the examples given were that much worse than general superhero stuff. But hey, I haven't even seen the show.
Bert

I was mostly thinking about Supergirl since it's so guilty of lazy, awful writing.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bert wrote:
2 years ago
I was mostly thinking about Supergirl since it's so guilty of lazy, awful writing.
Almost all of them except Legends of Tomorrow have lazy writing and more importantly no one from the show runner on down that cares enough to be consistent. What has happened in previous episodes and super powers get changed at a whim to fit an episode.

You can argue that writers and directors change enough that they make mistakes, but no one else that stays longer is any better.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Basically Supergirl and Flash are too OP to do smaller stories with. Superman seems to be pulling it off. But for what they want to do with Supergirl, she's too OP for the scenarios. Like webbing her to a wall. Kinky but doesn't make sense. Or her nearly "drowning" fighting a submarine.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I find all of the criticism on this thread is perfectly valid and fair. I guess that quite a long while ago, probably starting with Arrow, I stopped expecting the writing for these CW shows to be better than mediocre at times and at least passable at other times. My expectations are fairly low for these shows as far as the writing is concerned. Halfway decent at times, occasionally inspired, and below subpar quality at other points in these shows history.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

The only series that's impressed me with it's quality consistently lately was Wynona Earp - and yes it's not exactly SH (though she did dress as a Superheroine in an episode at the end of series 3 I think) but it's based on the graphic novel and was interesting and at times very witty. Lots of fit gals coming and going and well constructed plots. And it reaches a conclusion in series 4 rather than flogging a dead horse for the last couple of series.
And as she was human, often pissed on booze and equally often just pissed off, she was my kinda heroine.
And I really REALLY liked her little sister
superhero-alien.jpeg
superhero-alien.jpeg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
5920.png
5920.png (617.16 KiB) Viewed 1003 times

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
Bert wrote:
2 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
That's fair. I guess it just didn't sound like any of the examples given were that much worse than general superhero stuff. But hey, I haven't even seen the show.
Damselbinder, I have 2 youtube videos, but not sure if permissible to post it here.

If you take key words from title of this thread and add season # you may find it.

For both seasons, there are about 20 examples in each. They also include examples of the lives ruined and or killed because of the inconsistent writing.

1. instead of grabbing wheel, Flash could have with speed captured weather guy and ran him to Star labs all secure.
2. The 1st time Flash fought dividing man, he stopped fighting. Should have caught dividing man the and put dampners on him.

If I can get permission to post youtube as not movies, I'd be glad to do so.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

It's OK to post you tube links

dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
It's OK to post you tube links
Thank You Tallyho

Season 1 vid on inconsistent Flash

Season 2

Last edited by dragontigerandhorse1985 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

No problem, but you DON'T need to enclose it in URL brackets you can just paste the link in and the y will appear embedded like thos

Try editing your post and remove the URL brackets, it should be fine