In 2021, Do You Care If Your Superheroines Models Have Tattoos?

General discussions about superheroines!

Are You A Fan Of Tattoos On Models Portraying Classic Superheroine Characters?

Poll ended at 2 years ago

Yes, Doesn't bother me.
18%
No, I'm not.
82%

Total votes: 44
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know when I first started, this was a big NO and as a producer I didn't hire models with a LOT of tattoos because the look wasn't true to TV and comic books and I also knew the fans of the genre, most of them, didn't want to see it.

But fast forward to 2021 (Do we even fast forward anymore or is it all direct access these days? :) ) And there are a LOT of models in the genre today who are completely tatted up playing Supergirl, Wonder Woman and other characters.

For me, I've come to accept it. My preference would be for a non-tatted look but these days I wouldn't base a "hiring decision" on it.

What are your thoughts?
Damselbinder

"Are you a fan?"
"No I don't"

?
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

It is indifferent to me, but the tattoo can be covered with base cream.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Perhaps you need a 3rd option of "Sometimes you have to make compromises"

Sorry if that sounds rough but sometimes a producer is just stuck with the options they have.

I agree with your sentiments Mighty. A lot of the really hot girls also have tattoos that either require a full body suit or you just have to live with them.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

argento wrote:
2 years ago

Sounds good in theory but when you shoot superheroine content the concealer gets messy very quickly. Just the foundation from makeup gets all over over girls costumes and hands, face..anywhere it can stick to.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Charmed: The Original Series had a professional make-up crew working at concealing most of their many tattoos and failing. Mostly they resorted to costumes and camera angles to cover up the worst and ignored the fact you could still see something was there on say Milano's back shoulder.

Too much on a heroine's body is distracting for me, But I suppose a good actress is worth it.
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

An issue for sure.

Exceptions can be made, but tattoos rarely fit the character.
pablob
Neophyte
Neophyte

I hate tatoos. It's a pity so many models inflict those spots on themselves.
Last edited by pablob 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

It's not a deal breaker, but realistically it is kind of hard to pull off a believable Supergirl if you have like 10% of your body tatted. But I pretty much just accept that as part of the industry, not a huge fan of most tattoos, but again, not a deal breaker.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Part of why Melissa Benoist has the long sleeves on her outfit with the strip going between thumb and index fingers. Covers up the one tattoo on the inside of one wrist.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

In know some of the models here have tattoos that are quite large. I'm worried someone says something negative that may hurt someone. Maybe we should let this issue drop.
bbsucks
Henchman
Henchman

I think an older way of thinking of tattoos is that they kind of signify a "bad girl" vibe that sometimes doesn't fit the narrative of the pure and good heroine that we all enjoy seeing get taken down. As I get older, tattoos get way more common and mainstream and I know more people with them, I kind of think the "bad girl" element of them is pretty much gone. So in that sense, I have no problem with them.

There are 2 situations where they still bug me a little bit.
1. When they're really ugly tattoos. It's not all or nothing. Some tattoos are sexy, arty, and/or cute and some are ugly. This is, of course, 100% subjective. But like everything else subjective, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
2. Then I also don't like it when you have a heroine who wears a costume for the purposes of keeping their identity secret, and they have a big super unique and identifiable tattoo visible while they're wearing their costume. Even that one doesn't bug me that much, though. Sure, in real life someone would probably be able to make that connection. But this isn't real life. And in real life, someone would be able to see past Clark Kent's glasses. Having to have a little suspension of disbelief doesn't ruin anything for me. I'm sure it's different for everyone, though.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I find excessive body art unattractive

Don't like on my superheroines or on women in general.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

For me, the traditional looking superheroine represents a clean living, wholesome, role model lifestyle and look that way as well. Now I am not saying that women who wear tattoos are immoral, morally compromised human beings, just that an actress or model who plays a superheroine ought to look the part of a traditional, normal, morally upstanding superheroine, and seeing tattoos, particularly more garish tattoos take away from that for me the same way it would if you had a superheroine with a Barbie doll, high pitched bimbo voice, or a superheroine with too heavy a regional accent, or a heroine cussing up a storm during a film, it takes away from the fantasy, the ideal of how a superheroine ought to look, and how they comport themselves as superheroines in my view. A part of me wonders if this is a generational thing though, that older folks like myself don't feel that tattoos don't look good or fit the classic mold or look of a superheroine, but perhaps the younger kids out there do not care if a superheroine has a tattoo. I do like a previous poster's point about the potential of seeing a superheroine in both her crimefighting persona and her civilian identity with identical tattoos. Yes, we have to suspend disbelief for these SHIP films, but that is a significant and glaring plot hole for me.
Last edited by bushwackerbob 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Damselbinder

bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
For me, the traditional looking superheroine represents a clean living, wholesome, role model lifestyle and look that way as well. Now I am not saying that women who wear tattoos are immoral, morally compromised human beings, just that an actress or model who plays a superheroine ought to look the part of a traditional, normal, morally upstanding superheroine, and seeing tattoos, particularly more garish tattoos take away from that for me the same way it would if you had a superheroine with a Barbie doll, high pitched bimbo voice, or a superheroine with too heavy a regional accent, or a heroine cussing up a storm during a film, it takes away from the fantasy, the ideal of how a superheroine ought to look, and how they comport themselves as superheroines in my view.
Now I want the next Supergirl to speak in a thick, indecipherable West Country dialect.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
For me, the traditional looking superheroine represents a clean living, wholesome, role model lifestyle and look that way as well. Now I am not saying that women who wear tattoos are immoral, morally compromised human beings, just that an actress or model who plays a superheroine ought to look the part of a traditional, normal, morally upstanding superheroine, and seeing tattoos, particularly more garish tattoos take away from that for me the same way it would if you had a superheroine with a Barbie doll, high pitched bimbo voice, or a superheroine with too heavy a regional accent, or a heroine cussing up a storm during a film, it takes away from the fantasy, the ideal of how a superheroine ought to look, and how they comport themselves as superheroines in my view.
Now I want the next Supergirl to speak in a thick, indecipherable West Country dialect.
For my tastes, I could make an exception for a British accent, I think that elegant British accent is sexy as hell. The Boston, MA accent where I am from, not so much.
Damselbinder

bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
For my tastes, I could make an exception for a British accent, I think that elegant British accent is sexy as hell. The Boston, MA accent where I am from, not so much.
Brother I hate to burst your bubble but we've got a lot of really goofy accents
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
Brother I hate to burst your bubble but we've got a lot of really goofy accents
Nothing as goofy as I have to paahk my caah in the driveway. It really is inelegant in my opinion. People really talk like that here.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now that is an interesting idea. A team of regional superheroines. One from Boston, one from Staten Island, From the deep South and West Country. 🤣
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Tattoos on Supergirl used to be a non-starter for me when buying videos but then my imagination took over a couple of years back and I considered the concept of SG having been tattooed by the villain with kryptonite-laced ink to keep her superpowers at bay and that has helped me enjoy those instances where she is "forced" to endure body art. Just a mental workaround for me.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Nothing to do with heroines or wholesomeness, but to me, as an aesthetic choice, the smaller and fewer the better.

But as a character choice? Depends on the character, and how you're playing with the character.

I could see Diana having a penal tattoo as a condition of exile. I could see young SG getting some art as an expression of rebellion against what her identity and origin impose on her. BG? She could go all in on the tattoo subculture.

With respect to the secret identity, a tattoo that's exposed by the heroine's costume could be kept covered in daily life -- and explained away if needed as hero-worship. As for the reverse, I'm not an unmasking fetishist, but compromising the secret identity can be an enjoyable plot development, and it could be cool to see a tattoo reveal treated like an unmasking.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MightyHypnotic wrote:
2 years ago
Now that is an interesting idea. A team of regional superheroines. One from Boston, one from Staten Island, From the deep South and West Country. 🤣
I could see them stopping the fight after one of them spoke because the others couldn't understand her. :)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Imagineer wrote:
2 years ago

I could see young SG getting some art as an expression of rebellion against what her identity and origin impose on her.
And just how would the needle have penetrated her skin, when bullets can't?

No tats for my money. Paris Kennedy looked great pre rats, and even post tats with a costume with sleeves but I miss that gorgeous pre tat body.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'd be more worried if the tattoos didn't have a model ;)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I think it might be cool to use the tattoo an actress has in a branding scene, so you have the villain capturing the heroine and 'branding' her to make her identifiable (cut to hissing effects, screaming heroine tied down and a fake branding iron being pulled away to reveal her real life tat.)
Obviously only works with non colour tats, and yes I do know tats and brands are completely different I am just trying to come up with a means of explaining it away (the tat) It would just need a bit of red smeared around the tat to give the impression of enflamed skin.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Imagineer wrote:
2 years ago

I could see young SG getting some art as an expression of rebellion against what her identity and origin impose on her.
And just how would the needle have penetrated her skin, when bullets can't?
You must be new to the forum :giggle:
Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
I'd be more worried if the tattoos didn't have a model ;)
Venom, cool :)
Bugsy
Sargeant
Sargeant

Not fan of tattooed superheroines!
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

I don't care for tattoos at all, but especially on a super heroine. And practically speaking, tattoos make it harder for her to have a secret identity. She would be easily identified by the bad guys and taken out.
thegagster
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

I really like a good suicide girls style superheroine character ( original or fan art) I think it dependents on how well is the rendering :)
*** My Gumroad comic shop https://gumroad.com/dgagster *** :bmbw:
*** My patreon http://patreon.com/dgagster *** :hq:
*** My 2D NSFW art pixiv page!! http://pixiv.me/dgagster *** :thumbup:
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

argento wrote:
2 years ago

Not practical at a certain scale or for physically strenuous shoots, and that shit ain't cheap, either.

Definitely in the "do not care at all" column, myself.

Check out my stories (and in some cases, books):

Amazon
Literotica
Mr. X Homepage (NEW STORiES ADDED 4/8/21)
McGheeny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I have seen some Great body art. But, when it comes to portraying a superheroine, tattoos are a deal breaker for me. I don't mind tattoos on the bad girls. I think it can really enhance their character's persona. But superheroines have a different standard. I won't begrudge anyone their preferences. I just know when I am looking to for a superheroine production, I look for an actress playing a superheroine who does not have obvious body art.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

I'm not a fan of tattoos in general, and particularly on women.

Sometimes costumes and leotards allow producers to work around it, and there are actresses with tattoos whose work I like (Jacqueline Velvets, for instance).

In general, though, a negative for superheroines.

For a villain, it doesn't bother me nearly so much.
SnidelyW
Henchman
Henchman

Generally prefer they don't, but it's not a hard and fast rule. When Paris Kennedy got tattoos, I wasn't thrilled, but they handled it well and I didn't mind seeing those big old titties of hers flop out of a Supergirl top. Anna de Ville also has a huge arm tattoo but I still love her stuff at PKF. also Olive Glass is my very favorite and I don't mind the tattoo on her thigh.
hypnomancer
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

I can do without them, personally. I guess at this point they are only going to become more common, so I will say "the fewer, the better." Too many will distract me. I am in the "better on the villain" camp, for whatever that's worth.