How I Became a Superhero (France, 2021) - Netflix

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Stumbled upon this brand-new French superhero movie today: How I Became a Superhero.
It's available on Netflix but you can also catch it on 123Movies.

Here's a good review from 48 Hills:
https://48hills.org/2021/07/screen-grab ... to-barfly/

Directed by Douglas Attal, "Comment Je Suis Devenu Super-Heros" (French with subtitles) is about two concepts which we have seen increasingly in both comics and movies: 1) Superheroes are an everyday part of existence to the point where they are celebrities and product endorsers; and 2) There's a drug that gives people powers.

Of course, both of those already sound like The Boys, and of course the drug reminds people of Project Power (that movie sank like a stone, though) and probably other similar things like the Greenlight drug from Black Lightning.

But this movie has charmingly low stakes - instead of the universe or the Earth being under threat like in most Marvel and DC movies, or at least the nation being under siege like in the Boys or Jupiter's Legacy...it's just Paris, which is under threat - a bit darker version of Paris than the one that Ladybug and Chat Noir save in every episode. So aspect 3) of the movie is that it's a police procedural, like the TV show Powers, where the cops go rogue to stop the bad guys. But there are superpowers involved.

The cast consists of major players Moreau and his new lady partner Schaltzmann. In addition, there is the superhero trio Pack Royal: Monte Carlo who can teleport, Gigaman who has laser blasts, and Callista who can predict the future and has combat skills. There's also a teenager named Lily who is discovering her powers. And finally there is the bad guy Naja, who is similar to a crazed Gotham City villain.

The movie is enjoyable because there is a good back story, great characterization, and solid action scenes. All of this happens without any political agenda or woke diversity casting intruding upon the proceedings. So it feels a lot like a superhero movie or TV show from the late 90s or early 2000s. The effects are quite good, too, for a movie that couldn't possibly have had anything close to the budget of, say, Black Widow.

Definitely goes in the recommended column - this is the best Non-Big-Two superhero movie I've seen since "Freaks." Check out the images below...attention Maskripper!

Netflix trailer:

There is a masked superheroine member of the Pack Royal Trio: Callista. In the 'flashback' scenes, she is seen wearing a tight spandex costume. In the 'present day' scenes, she is just wearing normal clothes like a hoodie and jacket, plus she has a Billie Eilish Gen-Z hairstyle, but she still wears a mask throughout all the action. I think there is more than enough screentime for our friend Maskripper to get a nice blog post out of it!
How I became a superhero image 1.jpg
How I became a superhero image 1.jpg (125.07 KiB) Viewed 796 times
How I became a superhero image 2.jpg
How I became a superhero image 2.jpg (68.89 KiB) Viewed 796 times
how i became a superhero image 3.jpg
how i became a superhero image 3.jpg (78.98 KiB) Viewed 796 times
how i became a superhero image 4.jpg
how i became a superhero image 4.jpg (74.37 KiB) Viewed 796 times
how i became a superhero image 6.jpg
how i became a superhero image 6.jpg (144.48 KiB) Viewed 796 times
And *technically* there is also a depiction of a second masked heroine! I won't give away what this photo is about, but if you would like to imagine this movie spawning sequels or a TV series (hopefully for several seasons, like the Misfits TV show in the UK) this could be a character in that future cast. What a great costume that would be!
how i became a superhero image 7.jpg
how i became a superhero image 7.jpg (121.67 KiB) Viewed 796 times
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Her special moves include the Gallic Shrug to annoy her enemies with her indifference... :giggle:

Thanks for the links and pics.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yeah, that seems like a movie I quickly have to check out :hmmm:
Thanks for the topic :thumbup:
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Watched the movie by now.
It was.....nice. Good action scenes, story is ok.
Her sexy catsuit is only in tiny flashbacks throughout the movie. Guess if I mesh these scenes together it will have a runtime of a minute or two.
Her mask is...ok...for an eye mask... as it at least tries to conceal her face (incl. black face paint around the eyes).

Guess I will make a post about it one day, but it's certainly not priority material for the next post.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...