Sasha Calle as DCEU's Supergirl

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Great they've made Johnny Depp dress as Supergirl
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Great they've made Johnny Depp dress as Supergirl
Well, in that case, I would like to play with that Johnny Depp who plays Supergirl :hmmm:
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Body suit and definitely not a blonde? Color me disinterested. Nice figure and cute face, yes, but she's got to be a different version of Supergirl from a different reality for me to buy this version: seriously, even as a secondary role in a Flash movie. No pitchfork here, but perhaps a dull veggie peeler?

:thumbsdown:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago

Alack!
I see your 'Alack!'... And raise you an 'Aghast!'

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Loki
Neophyte Lvl 4
Neophyte Lvl 4

So far, I don’t like the costume. Is there not a cape?
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It could have been worse with those generic black leather X-Men type costumes. At least you can see the curves to tell it wasn't Superboy.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago

Alack!
I wouldn't make any judgments about that costume AT ALL from that particular picture. Know that half the time in the superman movies the cape is cg to ensure it behaves. That, in all likelihood, is a quick picture taken by someone's cell phone near a set from behind some bushes in a little fox hole. It'd be folly to make any sort of judgments about the final product from that.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

They'll slim her down in post.

I hate fussy textures generally, but this is especially bad -- looks like lizard scales.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Femina wrote:
2 years ago
tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago

Alack!
I wouldn't make any judgments about that costume AT ALL from that particular picture. Know that half the time in the superman movies the cape is cg to ensure it behaves. That, in all likelihood, is a quick picture taken by someone's cell phone near a set from behind some bushes in a little fox hole. It'd be folly to make any sort of judgments about the final product from that.
On the contrary its the skirt I am lamenting which you can clearly see is absent

Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I'm in the minority here, and say that I'm digging the suit. Apart from the weird abdominals, which I guess should be less noticeable on-screen, the suit looks really good to me. It's different (thus, why a lot of you were so pissed when they ditched the skirt), but definitely acceptable.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I think that's part of the flying harness

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Loki wrote:
2 years ago
Probably cape with be CG like Superman's
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
Loki wrote:
2 years ago
Probably cape with be CG like Superman's
She was seen sporting a real cape at some point during filming.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Does anyone really care at this point. They'll do 25 minutes of Henry Cavil shirtless in justice league then complain about a 3 second upskirt shot of Gal Gadot jumping off a ledge and she's wearing granny panties.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Maskripper wrote:
2 years ago

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 1696422916

Well, that confirms the version of the outfit.
Now I guess some here will gather their pitchforks and torches....

P.S.: Before the first one says that she looks fat...that is her stunt harness...
As someone that has actually used a pitchfork in a job early in life, I can declare pitchfork mode activated! Ick. They better not call this character Kara Zor-El in the movie. Maybe Cir-El, or Superman of another Earth's daughter, but definitely not Kara Zor-El!

As for that costume, yuck IMHO! Why are they going for an armored look to the costume? One, a Supergirl is supposed to be invulnerable, so she doesn't NEED armor! Two, and how uncomfortable is it? Three, is it supposed to be stylishly cool? For all the laments of the original Supergirl movie, the costume wasn't one of them. It was made of simple cloth)or looked like it), and fit Helen Slater well, showing off her assets well. And then the skirt to complete the innocent, yet teasing, look to our favorite Kryptonian cutie! Thank god they didn't go with the headband and curls!
Also, is it me, or does she look a little mannish in that outfit?
I wonder what it would look like as cotton or spandex, and without the silly texturing...
Sigh.

My 2 cents.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

Nykron wrote:
2 years ago
I'm in the minority here, and say that I'm digging the suit. Apart from the weird abdominals, which I guess should be less noticeable on-screen, the suit looks really good to me. It's different (thus, why a lot of you were so pissed when they ditched the skirt), but definitely acceptable.
I really like it. She looks great in it and it seems quite flattering.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Nykron wrote:
2 years ago
It wasn't primarily ditching the skirt which primarily turned me off from the bodysuit in the Supergirl series, it was the materials used! And I had similar complaints about her costume when they moved the show from California to Canada when it hopped to CW. The materials used deter from the attributes of the actress(being civil here). I don't understand it since if they were concerned about Melissa being cold, there ARE materials that can keep her warm, yet look like normal or even tight fabrics! Just ask ice figure skaters. Some are quite daring(look up Katerina Witt!)yet I hedge my bets keep the lasses warm!
As for the skirt, yes I lament the show getting rid of it, as it drew one's eyes to Melissa's best assets-her sweet legs!

My 2cents.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Danorian wrote:
2 years ago
I don't understand it since if they were concerned about Melissa being cold, there ARE materials that can keep her warm, yet look like normal or even tight fabrics! Just ask ice figure skaters. Some are quite daring(look up Katerina Witt!)yet I hedge my bets keep the lasses warm!
Please do keep in mind that tv/movie superhero costumes need to have a lot more to them than meets the eye. Melissa's Supergirl suit, for example, needs to be able to hide a wire harness underneath without significantly changing its shape (how else do you think she flies?) The fabrics have to be robust enough to have said cables threaded through them without ripping, while still allowing the actor to move freely and do the acrobatics required for the role. The suit also has to be able to keep its shape when filmed from different angles -- Benoist herself pointed out that part of her costume fitting involved lying on a table, so Colleen Atwood could check that the iconic S symbol looked good from prone as well as upright angles. So there's technically a lot more to a tv costume than your average cosplay or ice skaters outfit.

R5
shevek
Producer
Producer

Straight garbage. And yes, she's meant to be mannish. She's the "daughter of diversity"!
Anna The Star Wars Girl explains how they eliminated the male gaze, and makes a great comparison to Seven of Nine (who looked way hotter than this, in much the same outfit).

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Superheroine costumes have been covering women up since the 1940s. Sure, there were a lot of revealing costumes like Wonder Woman or Phantom Lady, but there were more modest affairs like Miss Fury, Sun Girl, Silver Scorpion, Black Angel, Gimmick Girl, Miss America, or Blonde Phantom. And it wasn't just the prudish 1940s -- the 1960s gave us The Wasp, Invisible Girl/Woman, Fly-Girl, then the 1970s gave us Spider-Woman... all of these women wore costumes that covered most all of their bodies.

Hell, Supergirl herself first started wearing a full body suit in 1971, and there's been multiple Supergirl/Superwoman variations since then that have used an entire body-stocking. This isn't a recent innovation for superheroines, nor for Supergirl.

Sometimes leggings are just leggings, not a woke neo-liberal plot to attack toxic masculinity by imposing an anti-free-speech cancel-culture left-wing fascistic state. :laugh:

(If the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman series had been made today, YouTube would explode with cries of "Woke! Woke! Woke!" every time Diana span into her diving or motorcycle outfit. :laugh: )

R5
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

I will still probably watch the movie out of curiosity and my general interest in sci-fi/action flicks, but any prior excitement built up with a big-screen SG appearance is all dead at this point.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

five_red wrote:
2 years ago
Danorian wrote:
2 years ago
I don't understand it since if they were concerned about Melissa being cold, there ARE materials that can keep her warm, yet look like normal or even tight fabrics! Just ask ice figure skaters. Some are quite daring(look up Katerina Witt!)yet I hedge my bets keep the lasses warm!
Please do keep in mind that tv/movie superhero costumes need to have a lot more to them than meets the eye. Melissa's Supergirl suit, for example, needs to be able to hide a wire harness underneath without significantly changing its shape (how else do you think she flies?) The fabrics have to be robust enough to have said cables threaded through them without ripping, while still allowing the actor to move freely and do the acrobatics required for the role. The suit also has to be able to keep its shape when filmed from different angles -- Benoist herself pointed out that part of her costume fitting involved lying on a table, so Colleen Atwood could check that the iconic S symbol looked good from prone as well as upright angles. So there's technically a lot more to a tv costume than your average cosplay or ice skaters outfit.

R5
Uh, Helen Slater flew in the Supergirl Movie, and I'm hedging bets she wore a harness under her costume, so I'm not buying the wire
harness excuse here. As for robust fabrics, don't they have a budget for costuming? Puh-lease! And then, have you seen figure skaters perform? They contort so much while on the ice, it's pretty nuts! I'm betting their outfits have to be designed so while they're doing their routines, the outfits don't ride up or bunch up, so they don't distract or interfere with freedom of movement while they are performing! I would think that's A LOT more than a mere cosplay costume! And I'm betting many cosplayers would take offense about referring to their outfits as "mere cosplay costumes".

I just think the newer age costumers are being lazy, since the ones that were working the '85 movie did such an awesome job, even dealing with a flying harness, and the fabric technologies have probably jumped by leaps and bounds over the decades!
I just don't want Supergirl wearing an outfit that looks like it's made out of the same material as my winter pool cover!

I should start a group for Supergirl fans that want Supergirl to wear a cloth costume, and not body armor! She's Supergirl-she doesn't NEED armor!

My 2 cents.
shevek
Producer
Producer

five_red wrote:
2 years ago
Miss Fury

Sometimes leggings are just leggings, not a woke neo-liberal plot to attack toxic masculinity by imposing an anti-free-speech cancel-culture left-wing fascistic state. :laugh:

(If the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman series had been made today, YouTube would explode with cries of "Woke! Woke! Woke!" every time Diana span into her diving or motorcycle outfit. :laugh: )

R5
I understand if you want to laugh, but I'm not laughing, because there's nothing funny about what's going on.

Whether you're talking about Miss Fury in the 1940s, or Wonder Woman's diving suit in the 1970s, those were outfits which celebrated the female form. It couldn't help but do so, because the women inside the costume had an ideal feminine body.
In the 1980s, movies and comics even figured how to make androgyny sexy.

This new generation of costuming does the opposite - on purpose. To further de-emphasize the female form, they chose an actress with a boyish body and tomboy hairstyle. And it also looks like a zip-up cosplay outfit made in China that someone wears to a convention when they don't want to bother to spring for a real bodysuit, skirt, cape, boots and so on. It just looks lazy.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Shevek, don't waste energy.

I hope these studios double down on this and double, triple the budget. The faster they bust the faster they go away.

Change will not come without pain.
McGheeny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Like I said before, the difference here is when Supergirl first arrived on Earth, she was a girl from Argo City (Krypton). They put her in a skirt to distinguish her from SuperMAN. That was when comic publishers were catering to the fans. Today’s “Woke” minority fearing publishers are putting out what THEY think we should want. You can like whatever costume you prefer, like John Lennon sang, "Whatever Gets You Thru the Night".

Oh, and let’s be honest and correct about “Adventure Comics #412”. There were two variations of Supergirl in that story, one was wearing a mini skirt and thigh high boots. So, the artists still presented a popular version of a dress wearing Supergirl in that “one off” Bodysuit derailment (“Adventure Comics #412 & #413). If it was popular why didn't they continue the outfit? Because Supergirl in a skirt, dress or short shorts sold comics.

Personally, I think it is time to push back against this climate of the offended. Just like I was brought up, if you don’t like something, don’t buy it. If you don’t want to see something on TV, change the channel. If you don’t like a movie, don’t spend your money on it. Don’t tell me I have to like what you like, or I am wrong. I see Supergirl as a young, blue-eyed, medium length blonde haired, Kryptonian female, who dresses like a girl. Skirt, dress, or hot pants (Yum), that is the Supergirl that marketing told DC sold comics, and for decades they followed that strategy. There are plenty of bodysuit wearing characters that work. I refuse to accept an androgynous heroine as any version of Kara Zor-El, and I won’t spend my money on that crap.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

McGheeny wrote:
2 years ago
Personally, I think it is time to push back against this climate of the offended. Just like I was brought up, if you don’t like something, don’t buy it. If you don’t want to see something on TV, change the channel. If you don’t like a movie, don’t spend your money on it. Don’t tell me I have to like what you like, or I am wrong.
Good luck with that when these are being made first and foremost for the incredibly conservative American market. Push back against shorter skirts and more skin has been on the cards for years.

It's also a bit late to push "don't tell me what I have to like". That's basically the entire point of the media and advertising industry.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well, of course, I prefer the Melissa Benoist's SG outfit of seasons 1-4 over this one...big time...but I will wait until we get real images without the stunt harness....and post my final "verdict" then.
Her upper body seems to have more curves than Benoist....at least comparing this one to Benoist's suit version. (in the end result at least)
It will be interesting how she looks in this movie when she is not in her SG outfit.

Also:
How big/small is her role in the movie anyway?
How well does she play the part?
Are her action scenes good?
Will she have good peril scenes?
Will the movie be good?

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Danorian wrote:
2 years ago
Uh, Helen Slater flew in the Supergirl Movie, and I'm hedging bets she wore a harness under her costume, so I'm not buying the wire harness excuse here.
Right, but the point of your original post was that they could use other fabrics that would keep the actor warm, even in Vancouver's winters. Sure, both Reeve and Slater's costumes were able to handle a concealed harness... but I doubt they were warm.
As for robust fabrics, don't they have a budget for costuming? Puh-lease! And then, have you seen figure skaters perform? They contort so much while on the ice, it's pretty nuts!
Aha, and then you take that figure skater costume and you cut holes in it to run steel cables through, and you attach a heavy cape to it, and it stays in shape no matter what the performer does? No matter how your heroine spins and twirls on the wires, or what flying pose she adopts, the <S> doesn't end up pulled out of shape around her neck? No matter how she kicks and punches in a fight scene, the suit's torso and arms don't shift on her body so that the internal padding gives her muscles in all the wrong places?

Technically tv and movie suits are a lot more involved than your standard lycra sports gear. Part of that is, of course, that the source material (the comics) don't have to deal with the reality of how costumes work in the real world. Superman's costume never bunches, or wrinkles around the arms, no matter what acrobatics he does. Batman's iconic chest symbol is never stretched or distorted by the heavy cape he has attached to the shoulders. Supergirl's skirt never flops up over her belly to show her panties, no matter how she tumbles and spins in mid-air. Wonder Woman never falls out of her costume, no matter how she moves. Batgirl never lands with her cape over her head, no matter how she leaps. In order to recreate these physics-defying superhero costumes on screen, there's an awful lot of stuff that goes on that isn't immediately apparent to the audience -- and that's before you factor in hidden padding and painted highlights, to make your real-world actors look more like the comicbook creations they are supposed to be.

So you can't just say "figure skaters", because figure skater costumes are never intended to behave in the reality-defying way that superhero costumes do on screen. There are different demands, and that requires different techniques. Just to give you an idea, Melissa apparently needed 45 minutes, and an assistant, to take a tinkle when wearing the old suit. That's how involved the suit was. And I think Jeanne Epper once said that Lynda Carter's bathroom breaks used to take 20 to 30 minutes or more, largely because of the way the corset inside the suit was constructed (no zipper), and her 'assets' needing to be unglued and then re-glued into place (to achieve the reality-defying trick of always staying put no matter what she did!) The Homelander suit from The Boys has the opposite problem to Melissa's Supergirl outfit -- they film in hot locations and to prevent Antony Starr from needing to drink lots of fluids and visit the bathroom, the suit has cooling pipes run throughout it, with a socket to pump chilled water in at the base of his spine, hidden by the cape. And, of course, the suit also has to have versions that can support a wire harness underneath too, while maintaining the same shape. :smile:

R5
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
This new generation of costuming does the opposite - on purpose. To further de-emphasize the female form, they chose an actress with a boyish body and tomboy hairstyle. And it also looks like a zip-up cosplay outfit made in China that someone wears to a convention when they don't want to bother to spring for a real bodysuit, skirt, cape, boots and so on. It just looks lazy.
Okay, I'm not exactly a fan of the new Victoria Auth costume for Supergirl, because I do think the design looks like an up-market cosplay outfit -- it just looks too... ordinary, and unoriginal, and a little bit cheap (for a professional costume.) Nothing to do with the leggings, I just don't think it says "big budget". The Colleen Atwood original was a classic design, that looked like a big budget outfit. Something about the Auth costume's materials, the design, the fact that the cape looks like a cheap piece of lycra, the gold decorations looking a little bit tacky. You see the Atwood costume and you think "big-budget movie"; you see the Auth costume and you think "what a great cosplay" -- but that's just my take. Your mileage may differ.

Anyway, to the point... to address your points on de-emphasizing the female form... hate to break this to you but Yvonne Craig, Lynda Carter, and Helen Slater all needed padding and other help to achieve their 'female form'. The newer generation of costumes may not be as curvy in the ways you want them to be, but they are just cheating in a different ways. The 'female forms' you saw in old shows and movies were as fake as the six-pack abs you see in modern ones. They just moved the padding. :smile:

R5
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Carter had no ass and Slater a small bust (though she did expand it 5 inches through the exercise and diet regimen) but I didn't think Craig's costume was padded as she had a small bust anyway as she does in the costume?
BUT the point is surely that they still looked feminine whether padded or not rather than the androgenous crap we are given these days
We are a particular niche here in that we find Superheroines a turn on to a variety of degrees, but there is nothing wrong in expecting a female hero to look female. Otherwise shove them all in Iron Man suits and be done with it. There was no reason for the robot in Metropolis to have boobs but she did to emphasise it was a female robot.
If you are gonna have a female hero make her at least look female.

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Carter had no ass and Slater a small bust (though she did expand it 5inches through the exercise and diet regimen) but I didn't think Craig's costume was padded as she had a small buts anyway as she does in the costume?
Both Carter and Craig's costumes had structures in them that pushed the breasts up into place to give them the required shape. In Craig's case, given that she often refers to the exaggerated bullet-bra look the outfit gave her breasts, I'm assuming they just used either a bullet-bra itself under the costume, or the same wiring and supports built into the costume itself. Either way, as I think Adam West has commented, her bat-boobies weren't very squeezable. The sculpting used inside Carter's outfit can be seen in the Stolen Faces episodes, when Diana Prince briefly handles a counterfeit Wonder Woman suit (which is, of course, one of the five genuine suits she had on the show.) You can actually see how rigid and shaped the breast part of the suit is as she handles it. I've no idea whether she had padding inside there as well, but Debra Winger famously joked on how whenever Lynda would twist her torso, her breasts would stay pointing in the same direction. :smile:

Sorry to spoil the movie magic. :smile:

Btw, I think I'm right in saying that the poor actors who wear the Spider-Man costumes in recent films are literally glued into the outfit. The mask is actually (IIRC) glued onto the neck so that it looks like one seamless piece, with all the webbing neatly connecting up, unable to move or become misaligned. And I'm not sure to what extent the suit is glued onto their body, so it moves as a second skin.

R5
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Most 60s bras seemed to be like that though which was why I didn't think hers had anything special

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

b203776f9716ec1327009fe7dbf55d41.jpg
b203776f9716ec1327009fe7dbf55d41.jpg (191.88 KiB) Viewed 13299 times
We can ask Burt Ward as he examined them closely

shevek
Producer
Producer

As Mr. X suggested, I'm not going to "waste energy" further, but I don't think it's been mentioned yet in this thread, so...

The Supergirl costume and hairstyle pictured in the above posts, as portrayed by Sasha Calle, seem to be almost identical to that
of the character of Lara Lane Kent, who appeared only in the Injustice: Gods Among Us title in 2015. Thanks for that one goes out
to AZ (Heelvsbabyface), who pointed it out in a video yesterday. So, mystery solved there.
Lara_Lane-Kent_Injustice_Regime_0001.JPG.jpg
Lara_Lane-Kent_Injustice_Regime_0001.JPG.jpg (50.7 KiB) Viewed 13282 times
And five_red, yes I'm quite aware of "padding" to accentuate the form.
One type of padding from days gone by that you forgot to mention, in fact, was the phenomenon of 1980s "shoulder padding" - broadening the appearance of women's shoulders to make them seem larger and thus more powerful. Sometimes that worked quite well - as I said, even in the 1980s, they were able to make angular androgyny look sexy,
main-qimg-a23ba2b4996c94831e4655ce637b4cad.jpg
main-qimg-a23ba2b4996c94831e4655ce637b4cad.jpg (109.81 KiB) Viewed 13282 times
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Most 60s bras seemed to be like that though which was why I didn't think hers had anything special
Oh yeah, there's nothing unusual here. Those bras were common at the time. But it still means the shape of the body was assisted. Yvonne Craig's amply bosom wasn't bullet-shaped when naked, and Sasha Calle doesn't have those abs when naked. I get that some people like one form of fakery over the other -- fine -- but don't kid yourself that one represents a truer female form than the other. Both Yvonne and Sasha's bodies are feminine, the only difference is that their costumes are designed to artificially enhance different parts. (Yes, granted, presumably because of politics and a change in social attitudes.)

The anti-woke mob think the old stuff better represents how women look -- it doesn't. The pro-woke mob think the new stuff is a truer representation of how women really look -- it isn't. Hollywood isn't going to waste time searching for someone with breasts or abs shaped to superheroine perfection, when they can get someone who's close enough, and fake the rest. :smile:

R5
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I don't like it all, sorry.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

five_red wrote:
2 years ago
The anti-woke mob think the old stuff better represents how women look -- it doesn't. The pro-woke mob think the new stuff is a truer representation of how women really look -- it isn't. Hollywood isn't going to waste time searching for someone with breasts or abs shaped to superheroine perfection, when they can get someone who's close enough, and fake the rest. :smile:

R5
So then someone like Megan Rapinoe or Pee Wee Herman would be fine for all your fetish desires cause "parts is parts"?
McGheeny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

lionbadger wrote:
2 years ago
Good luck with that when these are being made first and foremost for the incredibly conservative American market. Push back against shorter skirts and more skin has been on the cards for years.

It's also a bit late to push "don't tell me what I have to like". That's basically the entire point of the media and advertising industry.
[/quote]

No luck needed. That is a wildly inaccurate generalization to lump the entire American market into the “Offended/Woke” column. There has always been the affronted minority squeaky wheel, but that has never represented the entirety of the audience. Yes, those behind American media have been notoriously “Victorian” in their pursuits. Generally, the rest of the world looks and laughs at this ridiculous standard. Just because the silent majority is not clearly represented does not mean it does not exist. I point to the success of Lynda Carter’s “Wonder Woman” TV series, where Lynda wore the official Wonder Woman costume. It had huge support from the American fan base while being panned by the critics.

There is media and advertising forces that try to mold and direct, but it is people’s purchasing power that “pushes” back. For example, remember the moron who said they were tired of fans wondering “What was under Supergirl’s skirt?” This person decided to draw Supergirl with bike shorts on under her skirt. Remember how long that lasted? Purchasing Power is Push Back, and it happens all the time. To dismiss this fact is a ludicrous and untenable position.

Whether this bodysuit lasts will ultimately be up to the audience pocketbooks. I am confident luck is not germane here.
Last edited by McGheeny 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Paolone0971
Henchman
Henchman

Sasha Calle does not play Kara Zor-El here, but Cir-El
Let's face it because on this misunderstanding (until a few hours ago I believed that Calle interpreted Kara) a war (lol) is being created without sense due to the costume !!!
The costume is different because it's not Kara's !!!
Attachments
Screenshot (199).png
Screenshot (199).png (306.04 KiB) Viewed 13229 times
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

five_red wrote:
2 years ago
tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Oh yeah, there's nothing unusual here. Those bras were common at the time. But it still means the shape of the body was assisted. Yvonne Craig's amply bosom wasn't bullet-shaped when naked, and Sasha Calle doesn't have those abs when naked. I get that some people like one form of fakery over the other -- fine -- but don't kid yourself that one represents a truer female form than the other. Both Yvonne and Sasha's bodies are feminine, the only difference is that their costumes are designed to artificially enhance different parts. (Yes, granted, presumably because of politics and a change in social attitudes.)

R5
You seem to be having a conversation with me that I am not having, lol. So now I better had, lol.
I don't think it's a case of antiwoke think the old stuff better represents how women look, it's just a case of the old style emphasised they are not men, and for all the right reasons, namely they are not men. :giggle:

IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

This isn't such a bad view.
SashaCalle-Supergirl03.jpg
SashaCalle-Supergirl03.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 13216 times
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
You seem to be having a conversation with me that I am not having, lol. So now I better had, lol.
I don't think it's a case of antiwoke think the old stuff better represents how women look, it's just a case of the old style emphasised they are not men, and for all the right reasons, namely they are not men. :giggle:
This is the worst thing about modern "whatever you call it". It has effectively destroyed women's identity as something unique. Now the only acceptable woman is one that looks like and acts like a man. Diet men. Men apparently won.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

IMSancho wrote:
2 years ago
This isn't such a bad view.SashaCalle-Supergirl03.jpg
Really?! Looks to me like she has NO ass! Not even fake cheeks with the costume! More like a diaper!
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Danorian wrote:
2 years ago
IMSancho wrote:
2 years ago
Really?! Looks to me like she has NO ass! Not even fake cheeks with the costume! More like a diaper!
?
?
?
?
Diaper? :rolleyes: :wacko:
You do realize she is wearing a stunt harness inside the costume?
She looks ....different... without it.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

She's standing on that cops head

IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

Danorian wrote:
2 years ago
IMSancho wrote:
2 years ago
What can I say, I guess my standards just aren't that high. It's an attractive young woman in a tight costume. That's enough for me.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

First and foremost I propose the following...

It's the DCEU... who cares. Reboot it already and try to make it good this time.

Secondly I propose this...

Maybe quit making judgments of the finalized product by the bootleg pictures somebody took with a cellphone through the cracks in a nearby fence of clearly unfinalized pre-production work?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
2 years ago
Maybe quit making judgments of the finalized product by the bootleg pictures somebody took with a cellphone through the cracks in a nearby fence of clearly unfinalized pre-production work?
Did Captain Marvel get better from the original pictures?

And we know they can do better costumes. Lady Liberty from the Union looked pretty darn good.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Femina wrote:
2 years ago
First and foremost I propose the following...

It's the DCEU... who cares. Reboot it already and try to make it good this time.

Secondly I propose this...

It's a forum, this is our whole raison d'etre to express views on this sort of topic. It doesn't matter where the pics are from, whether official or not, it's fine to express an opinion about how it seems to look, what we would prefer to see or why we think they've done it this way rather than that.

korda
Henchman
Henchman

They know how to get it right if they want.
Attachments
E4aEWCWWQAMa2EP.jpg
E4aEWCWWQAMa2EP.jpg (80.42 KiB) Viewed 13115 times