Green Lantern (HBO, 2022)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Yes, I know that date is far away. But Emergency Awesome has compliled some great information on what is coming up with the Green Lantern legacy in the DC Universe productions. To summarize, there are two major thrusts:

1) A Green Lantern TV series with an initial 2022 season of 10 episodes which will concentrate on the following character:
Sinestro, Alan Scott (Golden Age Green Lantern), Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, and Kilowog.

As I'm sure some others are on this forum, I'm most excited about Jessica Cruz. If cast with a beautiful Latina actress (I'd love to see Eiza Gonzalez, but it could be any number of choices) in a sufficiently tight costume, she could look as great as she does in the comics. Also in the comics, she experiences peril both in her personal fears (she is agoraphobic, and has to overcome that) and in various situations (I've posted a recent comic where she was placed in restraints). So you never know, there could be potential there.

But I'm also psyched for all the other characters, except maybe for Simon Baz. Created as a mere 'partner' for Jessica Cruz so they could have two 'diverse' new Lanterns in a comic book called 'Green Lanterns' (which in 2017-18 ran parallel to the Hal Jordan Green Lantern run worked on by our Heroineburgh artist Jason Wright), he never really developed much of a personality or serious backstory, and even had a few visible contradictions (like being Muslim, yet having a large tattoo that he didn't even try to hide). But who knows, maybe they'll flesh out his story a little more to be relatable.

2) Coming sometime after the launch of the series will be a Green Lantern Corps movie, featuring Hal Jordan and John Stewart,
plus probably the whole gang from Oa. But there's less information on that, and it will deserve its own thread in due time.

If you can't tell, the Green Lantern Corps is one of the aspects of the DC Universe that I'm excited about the most: 1) It presents the possibility for almost limitless character creation; 2) It has its fair share of lovely female forms (Katma Tui, Arisia, Soranik, and very
hopefully, the inevitable story of Carol Ferris becoming Star Sapphire, who is basically powered by the emotion of desire);
3) It enables multiple interactions with many other parts of the DC Universe..for example, Guy Gardner's banter in the JLI with the
also very lovely Fire and Ice, or Hal Jordan's dalliances with Power Girl, etc.

Anyway, let's allow Emergency Awesome to unfold the news. If even most of it comes to pass, I think we'll all enjoy the outcomes....

Then, after you watch it, let this thread drop, and it can be re-topped once the TV show starts gelling in a year or so.
Damselbinder

Shevek, you do realise that not everyone has the same relationship to their faith as everyone else. There are plenty of heterodox Muslims. That's like saying: "there were loads of contradictions in his character: he was Jewish, but he ate pork!"

That aside, I agree that this looks quite exciting as far as superhero stuff goes. GL was the fuel of the majority of interest in the DC comics universe for, like, a good six or seven years in the mid-00s. There's huge storytelling potential.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Shevek, you do realise that not everyone has the same relationship to their faith as everyone else. There are plenty of heterodox Muslims. That's like saying: "there were loads of contradictions in his character: he was Jewish, but he ate pork!"

That aside, I agree that this looks quite exciting as far as superhero stuff goes. GL was the fuel of the majority of interest in the DC comics universe for, like, a good six or seven years in the mid-00s. There's huge storytelling potential.
Of course I realize that. As I'm sure you realize that not all religions have the same gradations in religious observance.

Here's an exact quote from the DC database: "Baz has a forearm tattoo that reads "courage" [ed.: shajaya] in Arabic. His father objected to it, as tattoos are haram." Baz's character has been designed to be somewhat of a rebel. Nonetheless, he's by far the least popular of the five major characters proposed for the TV series.

Anyway, yes, we agree - the storytelling possibilities, especially with the more recent introduction by Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver of the "emotional spectrum" of the tribes of Lantern ring-wielders in the exact mid-00s era you specify, are practically endless.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

He will star as Guy Gardner.