Jupiter's Legacy, Netflix

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Netflix has a new superhero series coming out in 2020, supposedly. Wonder if this will turn out to be anything worthwhile. Article mentions release date in title but then inside article says no release date set (maybe that'll change later on). Anyone familiar with this comic?

comics covered in Jupiter's Legacy.png
comics covered in Jupiter's Legacy.png (356.4 KiB) Viewed 5297 times

Netflix: Jupiter's Legacy
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
shevek
Producer
Producer

theScribbler wrote:
3 years ago
Anyone familiar with this comic?
Yes, very familiar with the comic. I have several TPBs. I think this is part of a general agreement from Netflix to unfold various properties from the prolific Millarworld-verse (if you're familiar with Kick-Ass, that's one of Mark Millar's earlier successful IPs).

There's already a Wiki page with lots of information, pretty much most things but the actual release date. But the filming commenced in Canada way back in July 2019 so it's probably ready to go by now. Not a lot of big stars in this one - so far, mainly just Josh Duhamel is the draw as The Utopian. Not much to go on visually yet: the only photo widely available on the Net is Duhamel in a white superhero costume looking like "Super-Moses". We have yet to see the hotness level of Grace or Chloe's costumes, so reserve judgement on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter%2 ... TV_series)

Jupiter's Legacy is the kind of superior superhero saga that has been coming out which incorporates influences from previous generations and synthesizes them together. Because of the multi-generational approach and a bit of the ol' ultra-violent deconstruction (though not to the level of say, The Boys) you can see the influence of Watchmen....The Union is reminiscent of plenty of super-teams which have some depth and nuance, so while at first you might think "Justice League", dig a little deeper and you might find some aspects of, say, The Authority (Wildstorm), Squadron Supreme (Marvel), Ultraforce (Malibu) and Unity (Valiant)....

And maybe most importantly, the main characters are an entire family of superheroes. This is by no means the only family dynamic which has been done recently, but it's been done probably most consistently in the line of Image superhero titles which came out in the 2000s, such as Noble Causes, Dynamo 5, and most of all, Invincible. And of course, in the Black Lightning TV show, to positive effect. Speaking of which, there's also going to be room for wokeness criticism here: almost all the main characters (being of the same family, of course) are Caucasian, so we'll have to see how that plays out with current year Twitter outrage mobs.

Jupiter's Legacy is pretty strong, and I would say it maybe comes in second or third for new superhero universes created in the 21st century - my personal favorite being Invincible (see my post about the upcoming animated series). Very much looking forward to see what Netflix does with this, and how it will fare in a world that almost has *too many* superhero properties coming out at once.

Thanks for the heads up, Scribbler, I'd been hearing vagarities about this for a while but hadn't seen any press.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Mark Millar posted some photos from the Jupiter's Legacy production which debuts on May 7.
Get excited!

The three main adult superheroes: Lady Liberty, The Utopian and Brainwave.
They're old because they've been heroes since the 1930s.
Not sure why they didn't make Lady Liberty's costume as close to the comic as The Utopian's is.
Actress is shapely enough but lacks a bit in the chestal area, she's not as obviously hot as Starlight and Maeve of the Boys.
Meanwhile the dudes really need some codpieces. :)
jupiter's legacy.jpg
jupiter's legacy.jpg (405.27 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
Chloe Sampson, the superpowered daughter of Liberty and Utopian. Not sure if this black outfit will be her costume.
She's probably the brooding goth chick.
chloe sampson.jpg
chloe sampson.jpg (305.76 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
Brandon Sampson, the superpowered son of Liberty and Utopian. He's got a good costume.
Plus a Frank Quitely Easter Egg on the delivery van.
quitely tribute.jpg
quitely tribute.jpg (338.94 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

I was at a LCS (which carries our comic) the other day and noticed that they have re-issued the Jupiter's Circle tpbs (as shown above in Scribbler's original post), but re-titled them instead as Jupiter's Legacy. So the third one in the graphic above is now being
marketed as the first book you need to read to start on the series, because it introduces all the characters at their earliest point.

The problem with this earliest point, however, is that it's in 1959 (these heroes have been around since the 1930s, when they all got their powers from a mysterious island). So there's a ton of emphasis on the hero Skyfox, and how he is living a "triple life" with "two secret identities" because he is both a superhero and a surgeon, as well as secretly leading a gay lifestyle in Hollywood circles. This being the 1950s, he has to keep it all on the downlow or he will jeopardize not just his two 'careers' but also the reputation of The Union (their version of Justice League) as a whole. Also, all the superheroes in the comic book smoke cigarettes!

So I wonder if there's going to be this whole retro vibe to the first season of the series where it's set in the late 50s and it's going to look a lot like Mad Men with superheroes. I guess we'll see how that's going to go over with the crowd that's getting used to lots of explosions and ultraviolence. Debuts May 7 on Netflix.

Trailer is beautiful but it doesn't give anything away at all.

Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

the girl with the short black hair looks like she could get kinky....
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
the girl with the short black hair looks like she could get kinky....
You say that about all women...
shevek
Producer
Producer

Very impressive trailer. It's going to be the young bucks trying to live up to the standards of the old legacy heroes.
Actress playing Chloe Sampson is very cute. The one playing Lady Liberty (Grace Sampson) looks great, too.

No hint of the gay-superhero-with-three-identities plot (re Skyfox) which was strongly emphasized in the first graphic novel
that was reissued in comic shops to help promote this TV series, although he is featured prominently in this trailer.
It would only be relevant in the 1960s part of the saga. We'll see if it comes up in the first season.

Very much looking forward to this!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Jupiter's Legacy is out next Friday May 7.

Here are some Instagram posts from Mark Millar to hype it up, with emphasis on Grace and Chloe Sampson:

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Hmh ok, it doesn't look like there would be masked heroines in this one.
But I keep this on the radar.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

I know it's your ''thing'', but thank God for me :P !
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

What even IS this... I've never seen a show that was both boring as fuck and riveting all at once... it's like two different tv series running concurrently, with one aspect being pretty neat, and the other half sucking like all fuck and then being forced to come to terms with the fact that the half that sucks like all fuck is the one that's gonna win out.

After watching season 1 I can't work out who this show is FOR. Like... it feels like a show concepted in an antiquated age then shot two years to late... its working to solve suedo-problems with imaginary solutions, unaware that the audience has already evolved past the questions it's bothering to try to explore answers for. What is this? What IS this?

Don't waste your time. This isn't 'the Watchmen' second coming it wants to be. Half of this show is pretty awesome, but then you're going to start to realize that the source material doesn't actually have anything to say, and then further realize that it's the half that SUCKS that we're gonna be moving forward with.

Boo! BOOOOOO!
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

No spoilers review...

the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I feel like I'm getting full up on superhero shows that are about deconstructing the superhero mythos, especially various versions of Superman. That said, I like the show better than most of the critics so far.

There's some cringe, to be sure (our sole glimpse of Japan is truly eyeroll-worthy), and the overall themes (should superheroes kill folks? oh look, it's like comics except people die!) have become cliched metacommentary on the genre by this point. But they have a good cast and there's a lot of it that's done really well. They do a solid job of tying together disparate subplots and flashbacks in surprising and interesting ways. Even the Rebellious Daughter storyline has something to offer by the end of things, which I definitely did not see coming. And although there is (without getting into spoilers) a villain reveal that's not really that much of a twist, the slow-burn narrative that lays the groundwork actually makes that moment feel more hefty and convincing than it otherwise would.

The Watchmen, it definitely is not. But I found it diverting and worth the watch. Probably give it about three out of five stars on average.
Last edited by NotUv2 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Check out my stories (and in some cases, books):

Amazon
Literotica
Mr. X Homepage (NEW STORiES ADDED 4/8/21)
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

to be fair, when you realise that Mark Millar is from East Kilbride it all starts to make sense
Damselbinder

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
I feel like I'm getting full up on superhero shows that are about deconstructing the superhero mythos, especially various versions of Superman. That said, I like the show better than most of the critics so far.

There's some cringe, to be sure (our sole glimpse of Japan is truly eyeroll-worthy), and the overall themes (should superheroes kill folks? oh look, it's like comics except people die!) have become cliched metacommentary on the genre by this point. But they have a good cast and there's a lot of it that's done really well. They do a solid job of tying together disparate subplots and flashbacks in surprising and interesting ways. Even the Rebellious Daughter storyline has something to offer by the end of things, which I definitely did not see coming. And although there is (without getting into spoilers) a villain reveal that's not really that much of a twist, the slow-burn narrative that lays the groundwork actually makes that moment feel more hefty and convincing than it otherwise would.

The Watchmen, it definitely is not. But I found it diverting and worth the watch. Probably give it about three out of five stars on average.
I haven't seen Jupiter's Legacy, but I agree with the sentiment here about deconstruction. I don't think there's much more fertile ground for that kind of thing to be meaningful anymore.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mark Millar...

You know, the first Kick Ass Movie was actually kind of good... but only because when Matthew Vaugh directed it and put it all together... he RECONSTRUCTED it into a more traditional superhero film. The Kick-Ass COMIC BOOK fucking SUCKS. Even the 'mostly the same' first arc fucking sucks. The movie changes KEY things to make it palatable without loosing the core concept.

That's what I think superhero deconstruction stories get wrong... they don't have anything to say except to point at Superhero stuff and go 'this is kind of silly isn't it?' Vaugh took Kick Ass, realized that as a deconstruction it had no soul, so he put the genre back into it just enough that it was no longer a souless husk of deconstruction, and the end result was wacky, fun, unusually violant... but ultimately saying the same thing superhero genre has always wanted to say... and frankly... that's just better than anything these deconstructions have ever had going for them from my perspective.

It's sort of the same way stories about Mythology always get it wrong... at the end of the day if your point is just to deconstruct Mythology... than it has no real point of its own. When you turn a tale about the Greek Gods into a story where men must fight and kill their gods... then you've already decided not to do with the genre what it exists for... (essentially a series of morality fables to help an ancient culture make sense of the world and build moral character) but you also haven't done any work to make it about anything else... and the genre doesn't exist for anything else but what it was built from the ground up to DO... so you wind up with a tale about men fighting gods in a medium that only has the tools to tell fables about morality and nature... and since all you want to do is deconstruct it, you get a product with nothing of substance, you removed the stuff that the genre exists for, and essentially injected nothing of merit back into it.

So I'm with you. This Deconstructionist crap is well out of hand now. I'm a lot more thankful of Marvel's unashamedly bullheaded willingness to play it straight than I ever have been before.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Femina - Marvel isn't "playing it straight" either. I'm not going to argue further about that, so DO NOT TRY. Your opinion, whatever that is, is your opinion, and we will likely disagree. That's fine.

I watched the first three episodes so far, and then fell asleep. Will probably binge the rest over the next two days. But here's how I feel so far:

There are only three possible approaches to modern mainstream superhero-ing: Deconstruction (sex/violence), Politics (messaging), and Camp (humor/retro). The best modern series are those which incorporate all three, but don't lean too heavily on any of them.

With Jupiter's Legacy, it's both a matter of "we've seen all this before" in some scenes mixed with "Oh, this is a new topic/approach" in other scenes. Like, has there ever been a superhero TV show which showed the 1929 stock market crash? (I don't think so?). I think it's a mix of the familiar and the unexpected which makes the series work so far. I was indeed riveted by the characters and scenarios, even if the pace seemed to drag at points (is this The Boys? or is it Downton Abbey?)

For our Forum, though, we want to pay the closest attention to the ladies and their travails. The best parts of the series so far are the battles that they endure with some peril - pay attention specifically to the large melee against Blackstar in Episode 1, and the battle between Chloe and Hitch's villain crew in Episode 3. I'm sure you can get some peril shots of Lady Liberty, The Flare II, and Chloe. So far, my favorite costume belongs to The Flare II (Tenika Davis) who is poured into her spandex and looks gorgeous - not quite Nafessa Williams (Thunder) level, but close (see below).

One of the big ups so far, at least for me, is there is little bias to be found in Millar's writing, even to the point of equivocating about the whole idea of calling right-wingers "Nazis" or not (Utopian and Brainwave disagree on that). He's probably a classical liberal who prefers to engage in big ideas rather than microaggressions. If anything, he is preferential towards the basic values of Western civilization, so if that makes him a 'colonizer', so be it.

I'm sure people have many questions, like: 1) What is with The Utopian's outdated "no killing" rule that gets him so mad all the time? Why is he so unable to change with the times, especially if public opinion simply isn't on his side about the issue? Is Millar trying to show us that there are immutable principles which should guide all civilized societies? 2) Nobody has masks, nobody has secret identities. So why aren't these heroes in danger of being attacked at all times by a whole slew of enemies (the Sampsons out at their country farm; Chloe in her fancy LA apartment, etc.). 3) What's with all the Christianity? Why would people with their own godlike powers have any need to believe in a deity? Do they think that the deity imbued them with their powers? It's cool, though, to see traditional religion integrated into a superhero series..I mean if they were an Orthodox Jewish or devout Muslim family, they'd have the same kind of dinner table reverence.

I'm sure all of these things have occurred to people. I'll keep watching - everyone discuss and report back. There's no excuse not to watch this - it's available everywhere, and I do mean everywhere.

Here is the most beautiful star of the series so far - Tenika Davis as Flare II. It's really great that they don't feel the need to lean into identity or give her a woke attitude. She is simply a classical beauty with classic American values of loyalty, family and bravery. Ectoplex (Aiza Ntibarikure) on the other hand, is shown as being angry, but her anger is not political - it's based on friendship with her peers. Kudos to Millar for creating humans and not polemical caricatures.
jupiters-legacy-tenika-davis-petra-small-the-flare.jpg
jupiters-legacy-tenika-davis-petra-small-the-flare.jpg (294.92 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
Damselbinder

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Femina - Marvel isn't "playing it straight" either. I'm not going to argue further about that, so DO NOT TRY. Your opinion, whatever that is, is your opinion, and we will likely disagree. That's fine.

I watched the first three episodes so far, and then fell asleep. Will probably binge the rest over the next two days. But here's how I feel so far:

There are only three possible approaches to modern mainstream superhero-ing: Deconstruction (sex/violence), Politics (messaging), and Camp (humor/retro). The best modern series are those which incorporate all three, but don't lean too heavily on any of them.

With Jupiter's Legacy, it's both a matter of "we've seen all this before" in some scenes mixed with "Oh, this is a new topic/approach" in other scenes. Like, has there ever been a superhero TV show which showed the 1929 stock market crash? (I don't think so?). I think it's a mix of the familiar and the unexpected which makes the series work so far. I was indeed riveted by the characters and scenarios, even if the pace seemed to drag at points (is this The Boys? or is it Downton Abbey?)

For our Forum, though, we want to pay the closest attention to the ladies and their travails. The best parts of the series so far are the battles that they endure with some peril - pay attention specifically to the large melee against Blackstar in Episode 1, and the battle between Chloe and Hitch's villain crew in Episode 3. I'm sure you can get some peril shots of Lady Liberty, The Flare II, and Chloe. So far, my favorite costume belongs to The Flare II (Tenika Davis) who is poured into her spandex and looks gorgeous - not quite Nafessa Williams (Thunder) level, but close (see below).

One of the big ups so far, at least for me, is there is little bias to be found in Millar's writing, even to the point of equivocating about the whole idea of calling right-wingers "Nazis" or not (Utopian and Brainwave disagree on that). He's probably a classical liberal who prefers to engage in big ideas rather than microaggressions. If anything, he is preferential towards the basic values of Western civilization, so if that makes him a 'colonizer', so be it.

I'm sure people have many questions, like: 1) What is with The Utopian's outdated "no killing" rule that gets him so mad all the time? Why is he so unable to change with the times, especially if public opinion simply isn't on his side about the issue? Is Millar trying to show us that there are immutable principles which should guide all civilized societies? 2) Nobody has masks, nobody has secret identities. So why aren't these heroes in danger of being attacked at all times by a whole slew of enemies (the Sampsons out at their country farm; Chloe in her fancy LA apartment, etc.). 3) What's with all the Christianity? Why would people with their own godlike powers have any need to believe in a deity? Do they think that the deity imbued them with their powers? It's cool, though, to see traditional religion integrated into a superhero series..I mean if they were an Orthodox Jewish or devout Muslim family, they'd have the same kind of dinner table reverence.

I'm sure all of these things have occurred to people. I'll keep watching - everyone discuss and report back. There's no excuse not to watch this - it's available everywhere, and I do mean everywhere.

Here is the most beautiful star of the series so far - Tenika Davis as Flare II. It's really great that they don't feel the need to lean into identity or give her a woke attitude. She is simply a classical beauty with classic American values of loyalty, family and bravery. Ectoplex (Aiza Ntibarikure) on the other hand, is shown as being angry, but her anger is not political - it's based on friendship with her peers. Kudos to Millar for creating humans and not polemical caricatures.

jupiters-legacy-tenika-davis-petra-small-the-flare.jpg
What exactly do you mean when you say (or seem to say, perhaps I've misunderstood) that 'deconstruction' equates to sex and violence? The way I'd understood it, deconstruction meant, like, taking a critical eye to tropes and conventions of a genre within an example of that genre; flipping assumptions on their heads to draw attention to problems with those assumptions, etc.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
There are only three possible approaches to modern mainstream superhero-ing: Deconstruction (sex/violence) [REDACTED] and Camp (humor/retro).
For my part, what I mean by "deconstruction" is "the story is metacommentary on the genre as much as it is a story in its own right." There just being sex or violence doesn't necessarily qualify, although I guess there was a time when it did (and the degree and type of violence can matter -- like, the hyper-gore in Invincible is there to make a specific point about what this kind of lifestyle might really involve and what the implications of being hip-deep in superbeings really are, also a trope present to a lesser extent here). It's more about whether the narrative is focused on questions about the genre that are specific to it: like the overarching plot about the Utopian and his "code" here.

Also for my part, I don't mean to imply that I'm outright hostile to this sort of story to the extent some others appear to be. I just notice that we get a lot of it these days. :) Partly that's a side effect of source material from a certain era making it to the screen, I guess.
Like, has there ever been a superhero TV show which showed the 1929 stock market crash? (I don't think so?). I think it's a mix of the familiar and the unexpected which makes the series work so far. I was indeed riveted by the characters and scenarios, even if the pace seemed to drag at points (is this The Boys? or is it Downton Abbey?)
I did find in my watch-through that even the slow-burning parts mostly paid off, for my money.

Entirely agreed about the virtues of Tenika Davis.

Amazon
Literotica
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Pffft. That's a specific construct of the only possible approaches to something. One that feels pretty reductive to me. Deconstruction isn't really an actual approach to a thing for starters, deconstruction is an active RETREAT from a genre at its most aggressive, and an attempt to repair it or else reconfigure it at its most benevolent. You deconstruct something you find quaint or old or irrelevant (and.... sex/violance is so far from being deconstructive I don't even know how to respond to that). Politics is 'whatever' Every opinion ever is a politic. Communication PERIOD is politics.. its unavoidable and an aspect/approach of everything, not unique to the superhero genre, and camp is just making fun of a thing, either lovingly or mockingly. These three things are not the ONLY method to tell a Superhero tale... they're not even the only way to tell a 'response to the genre' sort of superhero tale. If Superheroes weren't like... fuckin' EVERYWHERE right now I'd say these three things are what HOLD BACK stories about superheroes, like, some belief that you can't take a story earnestly enough ON ITS OWN without reducing it to camp or deconstruction, or else without solely having an agenda. CERTAINLY balancing those three things into your story can help it, but there's more than three shades in any color pie.

I stand by what I said above. Deconstruction of a genre needs to be more than just a deconstruction to be relevant. If all you're doing is deconstructing then you aren't saying anything or adding anything to the discussion, you're JUST mussing with the formula. A deconstruction simply removes either one or more aspects of a genre that form that genre's identity. A GOOD Deconstruction... you know one with aspirations to have any kind of merit, then replace those removed threads with.... something.

So far I can't find what Jupiter's Legacy is offering for what its taking away... it might reveal itself in later seasons... but I doubt it... and that's just ONE of the shows problems. Add to that running two stories at once that basically conflict with each other, awkward messaging and a questionable grasp on the politics of today and yesterday... it all adds up to one big hot fucking mess...

Lady Liberty hot as hell though, we can all agree on that, but you don't win points with me just for having some pretty faces.

Edit: Also, If I have to sit through one more fucking plot thread in any show this year about a fucking sad sack kid angry with their parents drowning their sorrows away dripping coke up their noses I'm gonna puke.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Deconstruction could work the only problem is the people currently doing deconstruction plots are still stuck in 1990. The things being deconstructed are already stripped to the bone.

You can have a super hero show that is not camp but they actually make the world a better place.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
Deconstruction could work the only problem is the people currently doing deconstruction plots are still stuck in 1990. The things being deconstructed are already stripped to the bone.
Yeah, that might be part of it. Or stuck in the Oughties, maybe, or the source material is just from that time. It's not lost on me that the Utopian's arc here (I don't feel like this is a spoiler) is an explicit rebuke to edgelord anti-heroism, which was popular in the late Eighties / Nineties, and a full-throated defense in its own way of Superman's oft-derided "Boy Scout" ethics.

Jupiter's Legacy is a mixed bag in terms of what they attempt here actually working (spoilers for both this and Invincible... and Watchmen comics and movies, for that matter...):
Spoiler
Three of the younger supers get whacked in a battle with a mysterious baddie in the opening episode. Unlike Invincible, where we got at least a chance to see and admire the Guardians of the Globe in action before they met their fates, we don't even meet most of these characters before they're offed beyond glimpsing their civilian personas -- unnamed -- in a bar scene. Didn't work at all for me. OTOH, there's a pretty cool update in a couple of later episodes of "The Comedian spills his guts to an arch-enemy" scene in Watchmen where The Utopian appears to be talking to a therapist: it's very neatly done. There was enough of the good to keep me watching, though.

Amazon
Literotica
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Just viewed the first four episodes of this show last night after reading this thread. It was well produced and stylish but it felt like a whole lot of sound and fury that ultimately signified nothing. It was hard to develop attachments to most of the characters, due to the switching between subplots everytime you got involved.

And while the rebel daughter is hot she is also a hot mess. Not sure if she dies from the overdose that occurs at the end of episode four but I'm not sure I would be overly upset if she did.

I will continue to watch because it fascinating in a car wreck sort of way but it just seems to be missing any heart in the writing. Feels like an autopsy... all science of inquiry into the genre but not a lot of love for it.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
shevek
Producer
Producer

Not to be too much of a Debbie Downer - I'm still going to continue to follow this series - but I did find the final two episodes to be a bit of a slog. The trek across the island was almost interminable..I seriously don't remember Millar making such a big deal of the six's "worthiness" in the comics, but maybe he did and I just don't remember.

The final episode, also, was a bit unsatisfying - much like in the final episode of Doom Patrol Season 1, most of the physical conflict
actually didn't take place in a physical setting but inside a fabricated mental landscape. Also, Tenika and Leslie look nice in the finale, but the guest star is definitely Anna Akana who plays Raikou (very much a 'Katana' type of Japanese female samurai character).

For those who are not familiar, Akana has been a Youtube star for a while. I think I might have posted about this years ago: back in 2015, Anna's Youtube channel did a skit called "Supers & Associates" where she played a Black Canary style superheroine, and everyone in the clip was in some sort of spandex outfit. So in Jupiter's Legacy, she finally achieved her dream of playing a superhero character.
anna akana in supers & associates.jpg
anna akana in supers & associates.jpg (125.42 KiB) Viewed 4154 times
Although her costume is not exactly form fitting here, she does look very beautiful close up. And Maskripper finally gets to see a masked female! (Will you blog about this?)

You'll have to see for yourself what part Raikou plays in this final episode of the season. There's a unique twist which you could almost see coming.

Raikou in the comics.
raikou comics.jpg
raikou comics.jpg (61.05 KiB) Viewed 4154 times
Anna Akana as Raikou.
anna akana as raikou.jpg
anna akana as raikou.jpg (144.95 KiB) Viewed 4154 times
anna as raikou close up.jpg
anna as raikou close up.jpg (37.15 KiB) Viewed 4154 times
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
anna akana as raikou.jpg
Was already somehow interested in the show....but a picture like that really puts my motivation to watch the show on a whole new level :hmmm:
And yes, Shevek, the chances that scenes from this show will make it to the blog are quite high, from that I can see so far.
But first, I'll have to watch the whole thing.

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Saw the first three episodes by now.....the fight with the villainess (in her combat helmet/mask) was a nice start. But afterward....
I hope this all starts to make sense very soon.
So far there are way too many open questions.
All kinds of people getting thrown into the show.
Who are they? What do they want? Why are they having these powers?
It's barely entertaining and quite confusing.
Hard to build up a connection to any character of this Cancelflix show....so I don't care about them...and that's rather a bad thing.
But perhaps it gets better....

P.S.: The daughter with her ugly haircut is quite annoying so far.

Bert

I'm a little surprised at the reception this series is generating here. I've watched the first seven episodes and I'm really enjoying it! I like the technique of repeatedly switching timelines, several of the heroines are pretty damned sexy and the story has me intrigued. Plus there was a short but pretty exciting fight between Lady Liberty and Glowy Arm Beam Guy. (Maybe slightly less yelling would have been an improvement?) They spent money on this too, the 1920's sets are impressive.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Series is already cancelled, dammit. Mark Millar posts an explanation but it doesn't seem to make sense.
jupiter's legacy.png
jupiter's legacy.png (26.27 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
Why end it on a cliffhanger and not allow it to resolve..and then plunge directly into another show (Supercrooks)
in the same universe which is going to be *both* an anime *and* a live-action series?

What was wrong with Jupiter's Legacy? The metrics seemed to be doing fine - it was cresting at #1 for a while, supposedly.
Some are speculating that the inner Netflix brass killed it because it was not progressive enough, but that's just speculation. I wonder if Millar will really ever say, or if he will just move on.

It really makes me think about how lame a choice this is to cancel so early, especially when they already invested a purported $200 million. Even the TV show Powers was able to make it through TWO entire seasons on a network (Playstation) which was tiny in comparison to Netflix. Personally I would love to see Powers reinstated on either Netflix or Hulu for the generation that has enjoyed The Boys, Invincible and Jupiter's Legacy. It would fit in just fine.
powers lineup.jpg
powers lineup.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Could be super hero fatigue. Could also be where the money makes the most sense. People pay for Netflix regardless. So do they throw millions at a netflix series just to entertain subscribers or, since movie theaters are re-opening, throw money at movies in which you can gross a lot more.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Netflix has this tendency to drop shows at the drop of a hat, so I can't say I'm surprised. It was not the best superhero show out there, but, I would have wanted to see where the show was headed considering most of the first season was just practically into world-building.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
korda
Henchman
Henchman

The show didn't create much buzz, it impressed me how it was forgotten after a week.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Cancelflix strikes again!
Finally watched all 8 episodes...it took me quite a while and that says a lot in this case.
The whole overall storyline and concept of the season aren't good.
They throw in some random guys and took the WHOLE season to explain their backstory in flashbacks. I don't like that concept at all.
It took the whole season to find out who these folks are! And still, SO many questions remain....
The story feels like they had written it for around 3 or 4 episodes and then Cancelflix called that they need to have at least 8 episodes for their "all you can watch" buffet.
So they bloated the storyline up and told it so damn slow and so inconvenient.
You could have easily told all that in 3 or 4 episodes, it would have been much better.....

And it's really hard for me to like any of these folks. Especially the daughter.... who is an unbelievably annoying drug addict with an ugly haircut (just like her mother....I mean the ugly haircut).
From all the superhero shows I watched in the last 10 years or so....this one is my least favorite.

The masked chicks in episodes 1 and 7 were nice for me. But those were single scenes without any impact.
-
So in the end this will like one of the throw-away shows from Cancelflix.
But most will just think: The show is over, next one, please!
....until that is cancelflixed after 1-3 seasons (in most cases).
Last edited by Maskripper 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Yeah it was kind of an odd show and these days people are really just looking for the standard MCU or DC fodder they've grown used to. That said, would have been nice to at least see a 2nd season to try to tie it together a bit better...and more Lady Liberty wouldn't have been a bad thing.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Unaware it had already been cancelled, I watched the first two episodes last night. It had that "the whole first season is setup" feeling. In websearching Jupiter's Legacy Cliffhanger I saw that it had a cliffhanger ending *and* was cancelled. I felt bad for Josh Duhamel for a few minutes, then got the feeling the cancellation was the right decision.

They showed me Sheldon repeating his code enough times that it made me not want to see any more of him. Repeating story beats is death.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Imagineer wrote:
2 years ago
Unaware it had already been cancelled, I watched the first two episodes last night. It had that "the whole first season is setup" feeling. In websearching Jupiter's Legacy Cliffhanger I saw that it had a cliffhanger ending *and* was cancelled. I felt bad for Josh Duhamel for a few minutes, then got the feeling the cancellation was the right decision.

They showed me Sheldon repeating his code enough times that it made me not want to see any more of him. Repeating story beats is death.
Just skip to the final episode where all the cool CGI stuff mostly takes place. In the comic, Sheldon eventually gets killed by Walter and Brandon (deconstruction!), so don't feel too sorry for his intransigence.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

There are a couple of good fights though with a good mix of peril for some of the heroines at least, but yeah overall it was certainly a "set up" season that took way too long to get going. Really weird though that they would do a spin off of it when it wasn't that well received on its own.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Maybe Spoiler the comic ending Shevek
(edit the post, highlight the lines and click on the little eye with a line thru it)
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

The show wasn't bad, it wasn't great, felt redundant in the current climate. I can see why they made the call.

Amazon
Literotica
Bert

As I suspected, cost seemed to be a deciding factor for cancelling. Those 1920's sets were amazing, but that stuff doesn't come for free. Shame they couldn't have pared down the cost level of the flashbacks and gone forward with a second season. I was enjoying it.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Bert wrote:
2 years ago
As I suspected, cost seemed to be a deciding factor for cancelling. Those 1920's sets were amazing, but that stuff doesn't come for free. Shame they couldn't have pared down the cost level of the flashbacks and gone forward with a second season. I was enjoying it.
I don't know, this suggests to me that by the time the show premiered it was out of slack:
The Hollywood Reporter - 'Jupiter's Legacy Cancelled: Why Season 2 Was Killed At Netflix

Ask for $12 million per episode, settle for $9 million per episode, run behind and over budget, invoke your creative differences clause, then see studio executive turnover... that's quite a hole for a show to dig out of.

It's interesting that one unnamed source says "Marvel shows are $15 million to $20 million per episode; if you're going to make a big superhero show, you need at least that much."

So how big does your superhero show have to be?

When Netflix, or any studio, offers blockbuster money with sweet talk about more seasons and sequels and spinoffs (oh my!), remember:

I expect Mark Millar is fine with it -- on to the next thing! -- but what a blow to the showrunners.

BTW, was the title explained in the Netflix series?