Superman and Lois spin off show

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

A solid 2nd episode. So far the show is entertaining and the storylines are interesting.
-
A tiny piece of dialogue was quite weird for me.
Lois was at the grill with Kyle.
Spoiler
He doesn't like her as she was at that press conference earlier and did attack Morgan Edge.
So she arrives at the grill and he says "You came to the wrong place if you are looking for a Tofu burger".
But she actually wants spare rips (good choice!).
He doesn't know her eating habits and he automatically presumes she would eat Tofu.
Quite odd. Because of what? Maybe because she is from the "big" city (and perhaps his prejudices)? Or does he think that would fit a woman that annoys him?
Or was that (an unfitting) comment from the writer for some laughs?
I wouldn't offer someone Tofu (at first) unless I actually know that the person would eat that......stuff.

Only a little detail, but quite irritating. :hmmm:
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Kyle is the sort of character who is going to be a thorn in everyone's side. His personality is such that I can imagine him in line to sign up with Agent Liberty if he had the chance.

Anyway, I suspect Kyle sees Lois as contrarian and difficult, and so his comment was more a jab at that aspect of her rather than an exact knowledge of her dietry needs. To him Lois was probably going to be the awkward one with a gluten-free, vegan, nut-allergy sensitive diet. She's the one who is going to go around trying to recycle all the beer cans, plastic knives, forks and plates. She's going to be against the idea of all the big trucks and prefer they drive a Prius. She's going to be for windfarms and solar panels and will go out to make sure everyone treats their animals well and on and on ... basically ... he sees her as a"Karen" and is going to be constantly demanding to see the "manager" of any given situation to get "what is right" done.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
3 years ago
Kyle is the sort of character who is going to be a thorn in everyone's side. His personality is such that I can imagine him in line to sign up with Agent Liberty if he had the chance.

Anyway, I suspect Kyle sees Lois as contrarian and difficult, and so his comment was more a jab at that aspect of her rather than an exact knowledge of her dietry needs. To him Lois was probably going to be the awkward one with a gluten-free, vegan, nut-allergy sensitive diet. She's the one who is going to go around trying to recycle all the beer cans, plastic knives, forks and plates. She's going to be against the idea of all the big trucks and prefer they drive a Prius. She's going to be for windfarms and solar panels and will go out to make sure everyone treats their animals well and on and on ... basically ... he sees her as a"Karen" and is going to be constantly demanding to see the "manager" of any given situation to get "what is right" done.
I hope that you don't think Lois is like that, AEM?! I did like the scene where she orders everyone to go to the barbecue and Clark and the boys fall right in line. What can you do when a wife/mom drops the hammer on you? Obey! :smile:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

People demonize Kyle but I actually am sympathetic to him and against Lois. Lois has a virtual job. She can come in, POOP, then leave and not be affected. She has no roots in this town, no stake. And what you see its mostly personal issues with Edge and not the company. Kyle has a stake, has a family, has his life there and he's seeing the town dry up. So Lois does a story, gets a pay check, maybe some praise and moves on. Kyle loses his job, his mortgage, his life destroyed.

This is a grand example of how some people live in their coastal city forts and have no clue as to how others live their lives. Their idea of "diversity" is a joke and they just see fly over people as redneck racists. "Don't stereotype me but you're a cracker". Threaten Lois's career then see how much of an annoying d-bag she'll become.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Abductorenmadrid wrote:
3 years ago

I hope that you don't think Lois is like that, AEM?! I did like the scene where she orders everyone to go to the barbecue and Clark and the boys fall right in line. What can you do when a wife/mom drops the hammer on you? Obey! :smile:
Lois, like that? Well, yes and no, but I think that's what Kyle was imagining her to be like for sure.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I agree with Mr. X and AEM. The idea that some outsider can just slide into town and just impose their big city beliefs and values into rural America, into this small town, well I can understand how that may not come off well in some quarters. The writers have to be careful I think in not portraying Lois as someone not seen as "above" these folks and all knowing as compared to these "simple minded rural folks". Lois will be seen as a lot less likeable if she is portrayed like that. There is also a part of me that says give Lois a break, she agreed to uproot herself and her family from the big city life she is use to, to a rural landscape with which she is fairly alien to her except for regular visits to her in-laws.
shevek
Producer
Producer

My God. Episode 2 was epic. It was the most 'normal' episode of superhero television that's been on the air for probably five years.
Excellent character studies that made the viewer empathetic with almost every role. These individuals are heroic and likeable for their actions. This isn't a real question, but how are they getting away with this?

I have only one real question: why does Jordan wear lipstick? Is that an affectation or is it just somehow how his lips are supposed to look to differentiate him more from Jon?

Also..will this finally be the Superman & Lois combo that actually answers the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" conundrum? :)
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
Also..will this finally be the Superman & Lois combo that actually answers the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" conundrum? :)
That was in Supergirl where Lois had to go to Argo City in order to give birth without worrying if the fetus was going to give her a death kick. No mention of what they did for conception.

But workaholic Lois drags the kids to the council meeting and tells them basically to sit down and shut up so they don't cause problems while she is working to get a story. She slightly better as a parent than absent Clark in that she was there, but always working. She had the role model of a father, Sam Lane, that was always off serving in the army. While Clark's adopted parents were always there for him.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Jordan needs a Fisher-Price Well for Sensitive Boys.

They could have at least waited like 6 episodes before they started the "I hate you" stuff.
No mention of what they did for conception.
Honeymoon in Argo city. Otherwise Lois would have a disturbing hole out the back of her head or her back.
dlo005
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Jordan needs a Fisher-Price Well for Sensitive Boys.

They could have at least waited like 6 episodes before they started the "I hate you" stuff.
No mention of what they did for conception.
Honeymoon in Argo city. Otherwise Lois would have a disturbing hole out the back of her head or her back.
haaa, well thought Mr. X
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest Simon & Garfunkel
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

This news also is interesting for this topic...

Superman&Lois will take a long(ish) break after they aired 4 episodes:
https://deadline.com/2021/03/superman-l ... 234707899/
-

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Too many people of a particular philosophy think liberals like tofu-ICK!
I'm a liberal, and refer to myself as a carnivore with omnivorous tendencies!

My 2 cents.

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
A solid 2nd episode. So far the show is entertaining and the storylines are interesting.
-
A tiny piece of dialogue was quite weird for me.
Lois was at the grill with Kyle.
Spoiler
He doesn't like her as she was at that press conference earlier and did attack Morgan Edge.
So she arrives at the grill and he says "You came to the wrong place if you are looking for a Tofu burger".
But she actually wants spare rips (good choice!).
He doesn't know her eating habits and he automatically presumes she would eat Tofu.
Quite odd. Because of what? Maybe because she is from the "big" city (and perhaps his prejudices)? Or does he think that would fit a woman that annoys him?
Or was that (an unfitting) comment from the writer for some laughs?
I wouldn't offer someone Tofu (at first) unless I actually know that the person would eat that......stuff.

Only a little detail, but quite irritating. :hmmm:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I am LOVING Kyle.
Spoiler

He acts smug but he has some good points. Lois comes in and wants right away a huge union. Kyle brings up a good point that people need SOMETHING in their pockets and that they could grow into a union if need be. Edge left the other town due to unions and expensive labor. Seems more and more Lois is the out of touch person pooping then leaving.

I'm wondering when Lois pays people to come in a pick her crops or harvest her fields she'll pay them a "living wage"?
shevek
Producer
Producer

Good points, Mr. X.

Which leads me to a grander thought regarding Lois and her colleagues: the newsroom of the Daily Planet which Morgan Edge runs seems a little outdated for 2020. It feels more like a newsroom from the late 90s (and I used to freelance for both the weekly and daily papers here in my town so I know what that kind of space looks like).

By 2020, there would be nothing but a skeleton crew and young social media experts, and the offices would be wide open with no
separations or cubicles, and lots of transparent glass. I Googled a photo of "interior of the Buzzfeed offices" to provide a current example.
buzzfeed.jpg
buzzfeed.jpg (278.16 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I am sure you are right about what the typical newsroom looks like nowadays, but don't you feel that in the minds of most folks out there that the old fashioned newsroom layout that most of us grew up watching on shows is still the default image that most folks have of a newsroom of a vibrant newspaper. I imagine the goal of the producers, especially in that last scene at the Planet where Lois quit was not necessarily to give viewers a realistic view of newsrooms of the new millennium, but just but that newsroom be a traditional background piece where Lois goes to give her notice. I don't think the producers necessarily want viewers thrown off by a realistic and more modern, yet different layout from what many still see as a conventional and typical layout of a big city newspaper, that would take away I think a little bit from those scenes, the gist of which is the showdown and conflicts between Edge and Lois. You wouldn't want the scenery or background to take away from the drama of those scenes. This would be a different conversation in my view if the Daily Planet was going to be front and center of the new show which does not appear to be the direction they are going in. The Producers are going for expediency over realism in my view.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
Good points, Mr. X.

Which leads me to a grander thought regarding Lois and her colleagues: the newsroom of the Daily Planet which Morgan Edge runs seems a little outdated for 2020. It feels more like a newsroom from the late 90s (and I used to freelance for both the weekly and daily papers here in my town so I know what that kind of space looks like).

By 2020, there would be nothing but a skeleton crew and young social media experts, and the offices would be wide open with no
separations or cubicles, and lots of transparent glass. I Googled a photo of "interior of the Buzzfeed offices" to provide a current example.

buzzfeed.jpg
Also professional people don't stomp into a board room meeting and resign in a huff. Yes you are right that whole office is woefully out of date. It looked like something from Mad Men.
Damselbinder

Okay so everything I know about this program is coming from this thread and uhh

is Superman in this show, or is it just people arguing about unions, or what
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

NewYorkTimes.png
NewYorkTimes.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 3245 times
vancouvernews.jpg
vancouvernews.jpg (104.42 KiB) Viewed 3245 times

Some newspaper offices with cubicles.

Saw the pilot. While it was OK, it didn't instill in me that this is a can't miss show. I'll likely get to further episodes someday. No rush. Unless I come across reports of a hot babe superheroine appearance.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Okay so everything I know about this program is coming from this thread and uhh

is Superman in this show, or is it just people arguing about unions, or what
Yes...

Spoiler
BTW this is what happened to Supergirl. It became the everyone else show co-starring supergirl. In fact Clark isn't all that much in it. They do the obligatory "superman" things and there is a Superman related plot but most of the drama is the boys and Lois.

I would Clark has not had any chance to show any real side to his character. He's mostly a cardboard cut out. Everyone has a personal drama except him.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

My prediction for this week's episode:
Spoiler
Someone will say "You lied to me!"
Attachments
Clippy.jpg
Clippy.jpg (45.39 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Jordan needs one of these.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Episode 3
....has it's ups and downs, but was solid overall.
The CGI in that collapsing bridge scene in China was really bad. Looked like CGI effects from 20-30 years ago.
And why was this happening? Why is the whole thing practically breaking apart? Looked like a simple car crash at first. Or was that supposed to be an earthquake? Either way, it's a little odd that the whole thing falls apart like that.
The episode had some funny lines, my favorite was of course the Gremlins reference :thumbup:
The Lois and Morgan Edge storyline is interesting. Pretty sure he is involved in some really big evil sheme.
Loved the ending for obvious reasons....
One more episode before the show goes on break for about 6 weeks.

An issue with Superman/Supergirl in general:
The whole superhearing thing is another aspect that I never really understood fully. He practically can hear everything on the whole planet as it seems. But how does he filters that? And if he would react to every person in distress around the world, he would be flying across the globe 24/7. But seems that he has some criteria to which he reacts and to what not. But I guess that's an aspect someone shouldn't think too much about....

Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I dvr episodes to avoid commercials, so I'm watching episode 4 this morning. Not good when I'm 1/2 an hour into the ep, and I go WTF?!
Spoiler
We live in an age where surveillance is almost everywhere, at the very least in a major metropolis like, well, Metropolis. Yet a "super" level threat like Killgrave gets what seems to be minimal surveillance when he gets transferred. Actually, the first thing that bugged me is how he got his gum? He's in maximum security, so he shouldn't be getting such a luxury. Guards should've figured something was off with that. Then how the fuck would he know one of his guards had an analog watch? Only one truck of support troops? Then losing eyes on the ground to him? We have satellites that can read a license plate from orbit! And Superman just can't find him...
These CW writers suck! They're not devious enough to come up with logical plots against their foes, and detached so much from the military to portray them halfway decently. BTW, I'm an Army vet, so I have a little cred here.
Now to watch the rest of the ep, and hope it doesn't suck too much.

My 2 cents.
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

Tofu IS good. You just have to grow up with it in your diet so it doesn't seem strange or unappealing. Asians grow up eating it everyday, so it's no big deal. The DISGUSTING one that Asians find appalling is the McRib after you wash away the hideous red barbeque sauce and look at that shaped, textured grey patty of sinew and fat. That thing is hideously repulsive. We wonder WTF is wrong with Americans that you'd willingly pay $5.49 to put that in your mouth. It does not even qualify as meat, I'm sure. It's nasty!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Shakeshift wrote:
3 years ago
The DISGUSTING one that Asians find appalling is the McRib after you wash away the hideous red barbeque sauce and look at that shaped, textured grey patty of sinew and fat. That thing is hideously repulsive. We wonder WTF is wrong with Americans that you'd willingly pay $5.49 to put that in your mouth. It does not even qualify as meat, I'm sure. It's nasty!
Wow, thanks Shakeshift. Not. Think I'm going to McPuke now!
:crazy: :sick:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Shakeshift wrote:
3 years ago
Tofu IS good. You just have to grow up with it in your diet so it doesn't seem strange or unappealing. Asians grow up eating it everyday, so it's no big deal. The DISGUSTING one that Asians find appalling is the McRib after you wash away the hideous red barbeque sauce and look at that shaped, textured grey patty of sinew and fat. That thing is hideously repulsive. We wonder WTF is wrong with Americans that you'd willingly pay $5.49 to put that in your mouth. It does not even qualify as meat, I'm sure. It's nasty!
I love McRibs. I will feast upon them when they come out.
ThePornCritic
Henchman
Henchman

This show has serious plotholes from what I have seen in the first episodes.

The fortress of solitude has a totally different design from the version in Supergirl. This design doesn't fit. They are in the same universe on the same Earth. The design needs to be the same or very similar.

Superman has not mentioned Lex Luthor being in charge of the DEO. He has no care in the world. I know Lex Luthor from Earth-Prime is the main villain in Supegirl's series. However, he is one of Superman's worst enemies. There should be a level of concern.

Why didn't the boys ask if Kara was Supergirl? It would be a logical question as she is their fucking cousin and they know about Supergirl.

Superman refused to work for the DEO (before Crisis) and the military. This was stated in Supergirl Season 1. Why is he working with General Lane? This incarnation has a different attitude about aliens. An explanation was needed in the first episode that this General Lane is a decent man and not a racist (Supergirl Season 1 hinted his original incarnation had a problem with Jimmy's race).

Is General Lane unable to call anyone else like Supergirl or Green Martian? A simple scene about them not being available would make sense.

The entire Arrowverse has the plothole of not helping Supergirl against Leviathan and the scam with the VR world. The show stated everyone in the world was the damn contacts. How did Flash, Superman, Black Lightning, and everyone else never mentioned the VR lenses? That's illogical for a product that has users worldwide and everyone fucking logged in.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

ThePornCritic wrote:
3 years ago

The fortress of solitude has a totally different design from the version in Supergirl. This design doesn't fit. They are in the same universe on the same Earth. The design needs to be the same or very similar.

Superman has not mentioned Lex Luthor being in charge of the DEO. He has no care in the world. I know Lex Luthor from Earth-Prime is the main villain in Supegirl's series. However, he is one of Superman's worst enemies. There should be a level of concern.

Why didn't the boys ask if Kara was Supergirl? It would be a logical question as she is their fucking cousin and they know about Supergirl.

Superman refused to work for the DEO (before Crisis) and the military. This was stated in Supergirl Season 1. Why is he working with General Lane? This incarnation has a different attitude about aliens. An explanation was needed in the first episode that this General Lane is a decent man and not a racist (Supergirl Season 1 hinted his original incarnation had a problem with Jimmy's race).

Is General Lane unable to call anyone else like Supergirl or Green Martian? A simple scene about them not being available would make sense.

The entire Arrowverse has the plothole of not helping Supergirl against Leviathan and the scam with the VR world. The show stated everyone in the world was the damn contacts. How did Flash, Superman, Black Lightning, and everyone else never mentioned the VR lenses? That's illogical for a product that has users worldwide and everyone fucking logged in.
That seems to be the biggest problem with the entire CW-verse-no interconnectivity beyond the crossovers! And it's made worse by the Crisis since now ALL the series are supposed to be on the same Earth! We did get a feel in Flash and Arrow that the teams could help each other, but no one is helping Supergirl, Batwoman, or Black Lightning?!
At least for Marvel, Agents of SHIELD had interactions with the movies as I remember when one of the movies came out, and the next week's Agents' ep was affected by it!
DC hasn't even tried to connect their tv shows, pre or post Crisis! And this is another aspect of why their writing just sucks so hard! :ohmg:

My 2 cents.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

They connected Batwoman and Supergirl with Kryptonite and the Kat/Kara relationship from the Crossover, but that pretty much is it, I know they won't have characters cross over because of COVID-19, but they can do more mentions and continuity.`But that would require writers to pay attention to the other shows and think.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Danorian wrote:
3 years ago

That seems to be the biggest problem with the entire CW-verse-no interconnectivity beyond the crossovers! And it's made worse by the Crisis since now ALL the series are supposed to be on the same Earth! We did get a feel in Flash and Arrow that the teams could help each other, but no one is helping Supergirl, Batwoman, or Black Lightning?!
Team Flash build a very important device that was used
Spoiler
in Black Lightning in the current season (episode 5)
Star City and Team flash were only mentioned, but it was there.
I hope they can and will do more next season when Covid hopefully doesn't prevent crossovers anymore.
Between the shows that are then still there (no Black Lightning or Supergirl).
-
Back to topic:
Episode 4 was interesting and had some good moments. The whole how can Superman/Clark be "divided" between his family and the world is a difficult aspect.
If you have such powers and are able to help everyone on the planet ....every hour Superman spends with the family basically costs lives. He is in a rather bad position.
And the way he plays it here he is Clark all day long until he gets a special assignment.
For my taste the story move on quicker. But they sure know how to keep the interest up with really interesting end scenes in each episode. No classic Cliffhangers but for me they work really well. I wonder what Morgan Edge is up to. The scene in the
Spoiler
mine revealed something but also created new questions.
One more episode before the show goes on break for nearly 2 months.
But I am looking forward to his "replacement" during that time.

bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Danorian wrote:
3 years ago
ThePornCritic wrote:
3 years ago

At least for Marvel, Agents of SHIELD had interactions with the movies as I remember when one of the movies came out, and the next week's Agents' ep was affected by it!
DC hasn't even tried to connect their tv shows, pre or post Crisis! And this is another aspect of why their writing just sucks so hard! :ohmg:

My 2 cents.
I hear what you are saying in regards to issues with continuity. I think as we go further into this new universe where all of the heroes now call home, it is going to be more of a challenge going forward for writers of a particular Arrowverse show to depict a big bad villain that threatens to take over the whole world without calling in the rest of the DC comics crew, that if things are that dire, why not call in for reinforcements from National City or Smallville. If you bring pure logic and common sense to those lone superhero in peril from the big bad villain scenarios, there is indeed a big plot hole behind not sending out the proverbial bat signal out to your superfriends. I suspect that these Arrowverse writers miss not having that multiverse crutch to rely on anymore to justify these heroes going it alone. I think the writers have inadvertently boxed themselves in, destroying the multiverse and having all of their heroes under the same universal umbrella when the head honchos at the studio clearly have no intention of crossing over other DC Comics superheroes unless there is a special or unique circumstance or crossover event.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I hear what you are saying in regards to issues with continuity. I think as we go further into this new universe where all of the heroes now call home, it is going to be more of a challenge going forward for writers of a particular Arrowverse show to depict a big bad villain that threatens to take over the whole world without calling in the rest of the DC comics crew, that if things are that dire, why not call in for reinforcements from National City or Smallville. If you bring pure logic and common sense to those lone superhero in peril from the big bad villain scenarios, there is indeed a big plot hole behind not sending out the proverbial bat signal out to your superfriends. I suspect that these Arrowverse writers miss not having that multiverse crutch to rely on anymore to justify these heroes going it alone. I think the writers have inadvertently boxed themselves in, destroying the multiverse and having all of their heroes under the same universal umbrella when the head honchos at the studio clearly have no intention of crossing over other DC Comics superheroes unless there is a special or unique circumstance or crossover event.
Hmmm. Where have we seen this problem before? Oh yes, post the original CoIE! Or, how do we pound a square peg in a round hole?
Case in point is Power Girl. After the Crisis, HOW many origin stories did she have? I think she ended up with four until after one of their crises they decided she was an old Earth-2 left over, and belonged in the merged world. In the words of Farscape-IT'S SO FRACKED!

My 2 cents.
ThePornCritic
Henchman
Henchman

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago

The issue is much bigger than not calling comrades to help you.

The Fortress of Solitude has different designs in Supergirl and Superman & Lois. That's extremely bad writing and continuity. How is that even possible? The Fortress of Solitude should have the same design in both shows because they are on the same Earth. That's a major oversight.

If Lex breaks into it then it must affect Superman. There's no avoiding that issue.

Superman's backstory from the first episode has issues. He had no memories of a second son after Crisis. Remember Lois and him only had one kid on Earth-38. He fails to mention that his memories are "new" for this universe.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

At the end of Crisis of Infinite Earths crossover they set up a Justice League type headquarters and talked about helping it other out, That idea was never picked up by any of the shows. So blame it on the writers who want to go off on their own ideas and ignore getting help.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
At the end of Crisis of Infinite Earths crossover they set up a Justice League type headquarters and talked about helping it other out, That idea was never picked up by any of the shows. So blame it on the writers who want to go off on their own ideas and ignore getting help.
Team Flash helped out Black Lightning with a big problem by delivering a piece of tech. Only a short scene, but Team Flash was mentioned in Black Lightning (not shown).
I think the writers aren't the (main) problem.
Crossovers cost extra money, even when they are small with just 2 shows.
The logistics of them are problematic.
The timetables are now very different. Batwoman started in January. Supergirl at the end of March.

Due to Covid they don't want to mix filming crews/actors from different shows. Which is why they canceled all crossovers for now.

I would like to see more Crossovers.
But that won't happen before covid isn't such a thread like now.
And then it's the question of which shows then are still there.....

---
Back to this show:
Will watch episode 5 later this day and post something.

bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I imagine that it must be difficult with all of these different writing teams of these Arrowverse shows to co-ordinate issues having to do with continuity and memories from past lives universes. There ought to be someone at DC Comics overseeing those issues with the various shows. I think that crossovers ought to be done sparingly in order to make the times they do use them seem more special and seem like an event rather than make them seem more common place or routine. I totally agree with Maskripper on the logistics of having crossovers in terms of production schedules, storylines on a particular show and preserving continuity and I think those issues go beyond COVID-19 realities. I suspect the writers of these Arrowverse shows would rather pretend that the end of the multiverse never happened and they could go on writing their shows irrespective of one another and not have to deal with the continuity issues involved in dissolving the other universes and having all of these heroes under the one universe umbrella.
ThePornCritic
Henchman
Henchman

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
Team Flash helped out Black Lightning with a big problem by delivering a piece of tech. Only a short scene, but Team Flash was mentioned in Black Lightning (not shown).
I think the writers aren't the (main) problem.
Crossovers cost extra money, even when they are small with just 2 shows.
The logistics of them are problematic.
The timetables are now very different. Batwoman started in January. Supergirl at the end of March.

Due to Covid they don't want to mix filming crews/actors from different shows. Which is why they canceled all crossovers for now.

I would like to see more Crossovers.
But that won't happen before covid isn't such a thread like now.
And then it's the question of which shows then are still there.....

---
Back to this show:
Will watch episode 5 later this day and post something.
You do not need teamups for continuity. You need proper writing with good references. For example, every show from last year should have mentioned the VR lenses from Supergirl. It was a worldwide trend. A simple mention of it would add a lot of continuity.

Superman's other best friend is Bruce Wayne. He could have a line of being worried about Bruce's disappearance or saying Bruce is just fine.

Clark's kids should mention Supergirl. It is odd that they never ask about her. It would be logical to ask, "So who is Supergirl? Is it our cousin Kara?".

It would be very awkward for the boys to say "I thought Supergirl was hot! What! She's my cousin!".
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

If you have one hand (writing team for Flash for example) that doesn't know what the other hand (writing team for BatWoman) is doing, I imagine that continuity errors can easily occur. I speculate that a lot of these writers for these Arrowverse shows simply do not watch these other shows and are simply not invested in keeping up the continuity and the proper mythology for those shows. I think these writers and showrunners for these series see themselves as mostly self contained series in their own bubble, not connected, not sharing the same universe as their fellow superheroes. My sense is that all these writers care about is their own series narrative and staying true to their own shows mythology, aspects that serve the story for that particular show. I just don't believe the writers for these shows see any real value in keeping up with the continuity with other Arrowverse shows, especially if these references do not relate to the plots or storylines of these shows. I personally think these shows should at least make more of an effort to remind the audience that these shows are now connected but I do understand why that aspect is not as much of a priority for tunnel vision writers trying to make compelling episodic television every week.
shevek
Producer
Producer

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
I do understand why that aspect is not as much of a priority for tunnel vision writers trying to make compelling episodic television every week.
And it really is compelling. Episode 5 was yet another nearly perfect construction. No agenda, just gripping (and sometimes tear-jerking) family television suitable for everyone. It's pretty much what Smallville and Lois & Clark were, except maybe with a bit less camp and a bit more grit. This episode even had a bit of a "Nancy Drew Mysteries" feel what with the meeting hall fire and the Gazette editor tracking down Leslie Larr and starting to put the pieces together.

Michele Scarabelli as middle-aged Martha Kent (when Clark was a teen) was the standout here. She looks so much like both Helen Slater and Linda Hamilton, I kept thinking I was looking at one or the other, but no, it's the actress who played the Tenctonese young
woman in Alien Nation, and Data's girlfriend for one episode of TNG. She really provides the deep 'roots' of the Clark character..truly 'The Best of Smallville'.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think the flash back thing is a bad idea. It works on Forever Knight and Highlander because the show's focus is just the main character but this show is more of a soap opera with each character having a drama.

The biggest problem is Clark. He has no story. He's a fixture, just the glue that holds things together. Kind of what happened with Supergirl where the show became about all the other characters and co-starred supergirl.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The CW loves teenage angst shows with the parents there to draw a bigger audience. Consider it Smallville: The Next Generation with Clark and Lois replacing Jonathan and Martha Kent and doing a bad job of it since they are both workaholic caught up in their jobs instead of being there for the children.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
The CW loves teenage angst shows with the parents there to draw a bigger audience. Consider it Smallville: The Next Generation with Clark and Lois replacing Jonathan and Martha Kent and doing a bad job of it since they are both workaholic caught up in their jobs instead of being there for the children.
These kids aren't toddlers who need constant supervision, they are teenagers. I don't think being a dedicated and intrepid reporter means that Lois can't be a devoted and loving mother to her kids, that it's not an either or situation. I see Lois as a loving and dedicated mother that decided for her kids sake to forsake living in Metropolis (and getting another high profile gig as a journalist) in order that her kids grow up in a safer environment in Smallville in order to deal with her sullen brat of a kid's newfound powers. I would not call that doing a bad job by her kids. Teenage kids get into trouble now and then, and even more so, those teenagers depicted on television, so I would not necessarily indict Lois and Clark as failing as parents, I see them as your typical average parents who make mistakes at times like everybody else. Being hovering or helicopter parents simply does not work with teenage high school aged boys. Remember in the last episode when Jordan got mad at Clark for eavesdropping on his thoughts and racing to school to intervene? I think Lois and Clark are doing a fairly good job raising the kids considering the challenging circumstances they face. Side note, Tyler Hoechlin is really growing on me as Clark. I didn't really like him in the part at first, but I have come around and think he is doing OK.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The show had some nice episodes so far however one thing I'm noticing is it seems to be becoming like Supergirl in that Superman takes a back seat to all the other characters.
Spoiler
The basic plot for this season is somehow Clark is supposed to go bonkers and start killing people. But there appears to be no delving into Clark or Superman's psyche. Instead he's running around juggling plates. No one appears to be asking him how he is or IF something is brewing with him. In fact there is not one scene in which either of the two boys ask him how he feels. I doubt Lois has done the same. Everyone makes demands of the guy but no one seems to care about him.

I think the problem is Superman CAN'T have any relationship anxiety. He can't be imperfect in that way. So there's no way to have drama with him. Either people hate him, use him, fear him or treat him as a utility. The show is missing that element that loves him.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

^This is more of a family drama set in Superman's/Clark's world. Most of the Arrow-verse just think it's a good idea to keep adding new sidekicks until the main hero gets less and less screentime.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

brdiy wrote:
2 years ago
^This is more of a family drama set in Superman's/Clark's world. Most of the Arrow-verse just think it's a good idea to keep adding new sidekicks until the main hero gets less and less screentime.
I suspect a lot of the focus on the boys is due to being on the CW and attempting to appeal to that young demo, that while yes, Clark/Superman and Lois have their own storylines, to a certain extent Superman is there in part to serve as a supporting character for the younger set. I wonder whether the longer the show is around the more the show will focus on the kids.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I have to ask this question-will this show EVER acknowledge the existence of Supergirl?!
I have not heard a single mention about Kal's super cousin. You would think the twins might have heard about Superman's cousin and ask if she's their aunt? Would've been cute to have a Supergirl poster on a wall there.
Also, why hasn't she responded to the hyper-sonic alarms going off? She has super-hearing too! At least have Clark say that these signalers are set so Kara knows they are for him, and not for her.
And then the Fortress? Couldn't the Lois & Superman folks "borrow" the Fortress set from the SG series? Kara's Fortress looks a heck of a lot better than Kal's! And it's supposed to be his.
I'm not asking for a Melissa cameo or 2(even though it would be nice for the twins to meet Aunt Kara), but I wish Kara would get some respect on the show as the mightiest person on the planet-even stronger than Superman!

My 2 cents.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

According to the show's staff, there was supposed to be a family picture withKara and Clark in the first episode\.,
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I get the impression this show is like the Superman one off animated movies in that he's pretty much the only Super hero.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
I get the impression this show is like the Superman one off animated movies in that he's pretty much the only Super hero.
Might as well use a different actor for Superman then. With the use of Tyler Hochlin, there is that piece of continuity between the SG series and this one.
Dunno. How DC?WB?CW handles their actors/actresses between their tv and movie properties just boggles the mind. At least Marvel tries to keep some consistency between the actors for their movies and tv series. I'm referring to how they used the same guy as Agent Colson in the Marvel movies and Agents of SHIELD, and even having Samuel L. Jackson do a tiny cameo in an ep of that series! I don't even want to try to count how many variances DC/WB/CW has pulled in the last decade...
crouchingtiger1950
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

It was mentioned in earlier posting that due to crisis, there is now only one earth.

This means that Luther from supergirl as well as his family at some point appear in Superman and Lois. And that Flash should also appear as well.

From what I've seen thus far, Superman and Lois as characters are not as entertaining and as interesting as they were when on supergirl.