Superman and Lois spin off show

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sup ... 44800.html

The CW keeps hedging their bets for when they lose another show or two like Supergirl. No real news yet about the plot.
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I still remember Lois and Clark from years ago. It was a good show. I hope this will be OK as well.
shevek
Producer
Producer

As long as Clark doesn't go into an emotional downward spiral and they get a divorce (like in the Brian Michael Bendis comics)...or it isn't some kind of "Lois can fight five guys at once and don't need no man" scenario, this could be great.

Lois and Clark was a solid, fun TV show - pure comic-book escapism with just enough romance - and as everyone remembers, it gave us Ultrawoman, one of the best superheroine costumes ever on TV. Yes, they were real, and spectacular!

Would love to see Elizabeth Tulloch in that pink costume if they can find it! (In my imagination, it's still in Teri Hatcher's closet somewhere).
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Just keep it away from the writers of SG. That should be a good start.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
shevek
Producer
Producer

Great casting move by the runners of the 'Superman and Lois' show:

Emmanuelle Chriqui as Lana Lang. Smoking hot mature-looking Moroccan-Jewish woman. You may know her from Entourage.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/superman-l ... 202902550/
80790035_10157896328824419_1943482489670467584_o.jpg
80790035_10157896328824419_1943482489670467584_o.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I am really surprised at the lack of publicity, hype, and buzz for this upcoming show. I mean we are talking about Superman, the flagship character for DC Comics and you barely hear anything about it, and I believe the premiere is just over a month away, and then you have a Batwoman reboot which seems to be getting quite a lot of hype and publicity. Perhaps we are entering into an Arrowverse burnout era, so many shows and perhaps a declining interest in these shows.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

^ I guess that's because there is nearly no promo material available for the new show so far.
No teaser, no trailer, nearly no pictures. Why that is....don't know. Perhaps as the show starts only on february 23, around 5 weeks after Batwoman.
I am sure the promo machine will be started this month as they certainly need some hype before the show starts.
So far, I'm mildly curious for the show. I do find Supergirl more interesting.
I will watch it and see how I like it.

Season 2 of Batwoman is not a reboot. Kate Kane missing will change a lot, but not everything.
The character's developments from season 1 won't be reset.
Last edited by Maskripper 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I know you have to separate actors from characters, the dialogue they deliver and the direction they are given but the few times I've seen Elizabeth Tulloch haven't really drawn me to her, I am sorry to say. The most I saw her in was Grimm in which she played the significant other of the titular character, and like I said, it might have been her dialogue or how she was told to portray the character but I think it is a bit of a failing if I don't care about them, even when they are so important in the story.

I guess I was meant to worry that she might be a target due to her partner's new found monster fighting role in the world, but I didn't. I should be worried that she might get taken, or eaten or who knows what? But I didn't! And these are similar concerns that should be instilled into us for Lois... but if we end up with something similar to Grimm ... you'll be rooting for Villain_Henchman_#2 to get rid of Lois real fast!

Now Bree Turner on the other hand, who played Rosalee, the significant other to the titular Grimm's good friend, Monroe ... was awesome! Again it could be dialogue or the character they wanted her to be, but I cared about that character a lot. So, it was definitely in the writers to make such a character ... so was the difference down to the actresses?

It's not usually like me to put a downer on anything ahead of time, I am usually a wait-n-see sort of person but I suspect you might not get the chemistry you are hoping for in this show. I hope I am wrong!
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

^ Yeah, looks good.
The pantssuit looks better on him than on Kara :hmmm:

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
^ Yeah, looks good.
Yeah, the pants effectively neutered SG. I'm surprised they didn't decide to start calling her Super Person last season. 🙄

shevek
Producer
Producer

Very little to go on yet. They should probably reveal a bit more so people have more confidence in the show ahead of time.
Would love to see some of what Lois and Lana look like in wardrobe, and whether we can expect any female supervillains
or heroine guest stars (like Melissa Benoist) on the series.

It's about time we got some good news from the DC camp...what with the dearth of subscribers at HBO Max, the announcement that Warner is going to essentially bypass theatrical releases, and the horrible reaction to the "I Am Not Starfire" young-adult novel, etc.

I guess it's probably too much to ask that this show should be as much like "Lois and Clark" as humanly possible.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

brdiy wrote:
3 years ago
Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
^ Yeah, looks good.
Yeah, the pants effectively neutered SG. I'm surprised they didn't decide to start calling her Super Person last season. 🙄
Or calling her Superwoman.

Here's another look of Tyler's Superman during filming in Vancouver:
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maybe they'll bring in Supergirl & invite her into their bedroom to spice up their love life...Nothing says I love you more than a blonde between 2 brunettes, even if it is FFM!!!
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Damselbinder

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
Maybe they'll bring in Supergirl & invite her into their bedroom to spice up their love life...Nothing says I love you more than a blonde between 2 brunettes, even if it is FFM!!!
Supergirl is Superman's cousin.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Shhhh you are trying to ruin her incest fantasy :crazy: :giggle:
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
How many times have I gotta ask you guys to use the Spoiler button?!!!!!!

:giggle: ;) :lol:
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

An EW exclusive, new trailer:
https://ew.com/tv/superman-lois-first-trailer/

-
:hmmm:
Well.....a well-done trailer for sure...but not fixed so far. Will watch it and see how it goes.
Interestingly the show starts on February 23 with 2 episodes!
For that reason, Flash was pushed back to March 2.

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

"Saving the world starts at home"?
Yeah no soap opera there. Not much actually superman-ing-ing going on in that trailer. Seems like anxiety teen drama.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Obligatory teen angst + more "you lied to us" drama, all too common across the "Berlanti-verse"

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cw- ... 38493.html

The first episode will be rerun on cable with a behind the scenes show afterwards.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Fight scene.

Sadly another case of TDS. Bad guys is apparently some evil capitalist dude.
Spoiler
Big reveal for the end of episode 1.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Captain L may be the only thing to watch for in the series. Morgan Edge as the primary villain wouldn't work because who wants to see a series about corporations coming in and laying off people and taking over farms.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
Captain L may be the only thing to watch for in the series. Morgan Edge as the primary villain wouldn't work because who wants to see a series about corporations coming in and laying off people and taking over farms.
Unless "Morgan Edge" is Captain L.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Looking forward to seeing the first two episodes!
Right now I don't really have any expectations on how I might like or not like the show.
Judging from the view count on the trailer to the show....I'm pretty sure that quite a lot of people are curious about the show.
I guess that more folks are interested in a Superman show in comparison to a Supergirl show (in general, not in this place of course).
Last edited by Maskripper 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago

I guess that more folks are interested in a Superman show in comparison to a Supergirl show (in general, not in this place of course).
No, here she is a goddess!! Can't say the same for her writers. Hoping for a great final season for Supergirl tv show.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
yeah, so....lol...Ever heard of Kissing cousins??? It's no like she would have to fuck him, he could just watch her and Lois...besides the royals of ancient Earth did it(still do) so why not Kryptonians?
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
yeah, so....lol...Ever heard of Kissing cousins??? It's no like she would have to fuck him, he could just watch her and Lois...besides the royals of ancient Earth did it(still do) so why not Kryptonians?
You can take the girl out of the party, damselbinder, but you can NEVER take the PARTY out of this girl: BG1969 forever!!

Damselbinder

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
The royals of ancient Earth also fucked their siblings. We don't use them as moral exemplars.

And Dr D I'm shocked that you're encouraging this. Shocked and appalled. /s
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago

Batgirl1969 crooked her little finger at me, what can I say?

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Damselbinder

DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago

Batgirl1969 crooked her little finger at me, what can I say?

:blush: :blush: :blush:
You lived through the Reagan years, didn't you? You know exactly what to say?
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Watched the pilot.
The visuals and the score were standing out to me.
I guess this show has a bigger budget than other Arrowverse shows.
I'm not the biggest fan of these "introduction episodes", but it was quite good.
My "biggest" complaint so far is that they have two boys.
Don't know about the comics, but I would love to have at least one girl in it (which then would start to discover her powers).
That could be handled like in Stargirl where 21-year-old Brec Bassinger plays a teenager of 15/16(?).
Also, I'm not a huge fan of Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane. Her acting is good, but for Lois Lane, I would have wished for someone who's a little....hotter.
And younger....I mean, she is 40 after all, that's a little too old for me. (Tyler Hoechlin is 33 by the way)

I know that's quite superficial to say, but hey I like to see attractive women in general and especially in the movies and TV shows that I watch.
I guess that show should be running some years....so....do the math ;-)
A little eye candy is always a plus.
And yes, a comparison with Erica Durance from Smallville is unfair, as the characters there are much younger.
But DAMN, I guess a solid part of the audience watched that show for her.
And Teri Hatcher was a good cast in "Lois & Clark" as well.

Looking forward to where this is heading, especially with the villain(s) that will battle Superman/Clark.
Perhaps there will be a (masked) villainess as well at some point.
Also, it will be interesting where the whole
Spoiler
"We have a son with powers" aspect is going to lead.

bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
Watched the pilot.
The visuals and the score were standing out to me.
I guess this show has a bigger budget than other Arrowverse shows.
I'm not the biggest fan of these "introduction episodes", but it was quite good.
My "biggest" complaint so far is that they have two boys.
Don't know about the comics, but I would love to have at least one girl in it (which then would start to discover her powers).
That could be handled like in Stargirl where 21-year-old Brec Bassinger plays a teenager of 15/16(?).
Also, I'm not a huge fan of Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane. Her acting is good, but for Lois Lane, I would have wished for someone who's a little....hotter.
And younger....I mean, she is 40 after all, that's a little too old for me. (Tyler Hoechlin is 33 by the way)

I know that's quite superficial to say, but hey I like to see attractive women in general and especially in the movies and TV shows that I watch.
I guess that show should be running some years....so....do the math ;-)
A little eye candy is always a plus.
And yes, a comparison with Erica Durance from Smallville is unfair, as the characters there are much younger.
But DAMN, I guess a solid part of the audience watched that show for her.
And Teri Hatcher was a good cast in "Lois & Clark" as well.

Looking forward to where this is heading, especially with the villain(s) that will battle Superman/Clark.
Perhaps there will be a (masked) villainess as well at some point.
Also, it will be interesting where the whole
Spoiler
"We have a son with powers" aspect is going to lead.
I remember a scene on the series "The Adventures of Lois & Cark" near the end of one of the episodes where Lois fears getting older while Kryptonian Clark stays the same age forever, that will you still love me when I am gray and old and you remain ageless. If you posit that a theoretical CW series version backstory that they were around the same age when they met, then it makes more sense that some 20 years later that Lois aged to her early 40's, mother to two teenage boys while Clark did not age at all. To me the biggest problem with the series is that in all of the iterations of Superman that I can recall, indeed in all iterations of all of these Arrowverse shows, we see the burgeoning relationship from the very beginning, from crush, to being smitten, to falling in love, to first kiss, the audience is there all along the way to see that journey from the start, whereas the audience in Superman & Lois are basically inheriting this romantic duo, we've "missed" the first half of the movie and joining the relationship in progress, there is no payoff for the audience. I actually like the premise of this series, it seems fresh and new, which is saying something considering we have already seen the Superman young teen version, the high school version, the young adult, and older versions of Superman/Clark, and now in the role of father to twin teenage sons. I wonder if the show might focus more on the kids as the series goes on, as the CW traditionally loves to target those young demos.
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

Bitsie Tulloch was amazing on GRIMM, and she's fantastic on this as well. I think she's plenty hot. 40 is a great age to be for hotness if you're not going to be 21.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I enjoyed the pilot episode more than I expected to. I set a low bar for this series and it cleared it. We shall see how it fares as time goes on. I have some issues with both leads to be honest. Hoechlin and Tulloch both seem to have a hard edge look to them that may or may not be related to their ages. Hoechlin always seems to need to shave every 7 minutes (not a great trait for SM to have) and Tulloch seems strained to me even when she smiles. Both took a bit of getting used to, for me. But that's completely subjective.

I actually think that both boys will be the ultimate attraction in this series; the main focus behind the drama to come. Clark and Lois will be reacting off of that, centering the plot lines around their burgeoning lives. Naturally there will be shows centering on villainous drama between Clark and the baddie of the week (or season) but that will only be 40% of the plots, I'm guessing.

I do agree with bushwackerbob about missing the early relationship dynamic between Clark and Lois but my guess is we'll get some of that in flashback scenes in a few episodes where they use makeup and filters to make it all gauzy and lovey-dovey. Chances of the boys conception scene minimal though. LOL.

A decent start. I'm on-board for now.

P.S. The title of this thread is misleading. I thought that Lois and Clark had already generated its own spinoff show. This isn't really a spin off any more than Flash was a spinoff of Arrow. But what do I know?

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Shakeshift wrote:
3 years ago
Bitsie Tulloch was amazing on GRIMM, and she's fantastic on this as well. I think she's plenty hot. 40 is a great age to be for hotness if you're not going to be 21.
BUT she was 30 going upto -36 for the Grimm show. I liked her in that but add on another 4 years and she's a bit too meh for me.

As an overweight 52 year old, with a face like a potato, I can afford to be choosy.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago

As an overweight 52 year old, with a face like a potato, I can afford to be choosy.
Excellent job fat shaming yourself. I'm impressed! And then to throw in, on top of that, face-shaming. Well, sir, you have my respect. Good thing your fabulous wealth gets you all the babes you want with a snap of your pudgy fingers.

:thumbup:

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

One thing is special effects are expensive so I can see "drama" being a large part of the back fill. Smallville for a long time suffered from "monster of the week" syndrome. BSGNG suffered from the same drama overload due to budget constraints. Episode one of Superman is probably going to be the most CGI intense they will get. I would expect whole episodes with little to no "superman" things going on or maybe some superman super speed stuff like when he visits Martha Kent. Like the way Smallville dealt with things.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Pulling the Kryptonite and a villain that cleans Supes clock the first episode...yeah hard pass, lol. The writing on these shows always leaves something to be desired.
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

The pilot was good except for I would have preferred a son and a daughter. I could see a crossover where Kara/Supergirl talks to the daughter about how it felt having her abilities.
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Jordan being angry all of the time is going to get tired.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

This serie already stinks of regret and lost chances. Hopefully something good happens later... but we can't be a lot optimist about that, given these premises.

How are the ratings by the way ?
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

helstar wrote:
3 years ago
This serie already stinks of regret and lost chances. Hopefully something good happens later... but we can't be a lot optimist about that, given these premises.

They must be fairly good, they've already got an order for season 2.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Clark is trying and failing to make up for being a bad absentee father. No wonder his children are so messed up.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/nadria-t ... 10200.html

The first firing from the writing staff over complaining about racism and sexism on the show.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
helstar wrote:
3 years ago
They must be fairly good, they've already got an order for season 2.
Ok, then we have to hope for the usual "power transfer" or some villainess (Maxima, etc)
Bert

Berlanti is poison to quality television. The rot starts from the top. Berlanti has shepherded a host of shows that depend on the demands of the moment over dedication to character. It's disrespectful - to the characters, the actors, and especially the viewers. Crap TV pablum that always takes the easy way, with heaps of overwoke topping to seal the deal.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/nadria-t ... 10200.html

The first firing from the writing staff over complaining about racism and sexism on the show.
But things got a lot less rosy as their work on the first season progressed. Tucker says she and other writers had concerns about several racist and sexist plotlines and tropes, such as jokes about the Me Too movement, scenes featuring female characters that didn’t pass the Bechdel Test and the main Black character being a villain.
This list sounds somewhat similar to the old 1950/1960 requirements lists except instead of complaining about the bad guy being black they would complain he's white. Or that the show makes fun of church or does not mention God.

These people don't change, they just change causes.

I would think they would name one of the boys Conner.