WandaVision

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Hi all,

I've caught up with the first two intriguing episodes of WandaVision and just "wandaring" what other people make of it so far, provided they make good use of the spoiler feature to protect innocent eyes ...

To me the first episode was a very brave way to start the season, no doubt able to depend on its Marvel heritage to keep viewers around for episode two which, as you would hope begins to hint that there is a thick icy facade that needs chipping away at before the underlying plot can be seen! If this had been anything else I think it would have lost everyone in Ep 1 ... but hey ... it's the Scarlet Witch and Vision ... on TV !! It's got to be awesome ... right?!

AEM
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

I'm really eager to see how mind-controlly Wanda's control of the people in her reality bubble gets.

From stuff they released before it came out Teyonah Parris is confirmed to be playing
Spoiler
Monica Rambeau. The question now is she undercover in there right now or is her mind being messed with and she doesn't know who she is currently? I think we're suppose to assume she came in through the helicopter that got turned into a toy.
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

So far, I am liking the show as well. I love how they live in the Bewitched house.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I haven't seen this yet so can't comment directly on the show but hats off to the writers for trying something new and original for TV supers (my name is Earl had something similar - ish when he was in a coma)
Good or bad, kudos for that at least
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

Holy shit the new episode was amazing!

It was great seeing the return of so many
Spoiler
side MCU characters and getting to see the chaos of the people returning from the blip. The whole episode had this really amazing underlining creepiness that was always there even when there were jokes. And that reveal of dead Vision? God damn, what a chilling and amazing moment.

The episode ends with the "It's all Wanda" line but I still think there has to be more to it. The story arc they are drawing from heavily involved
Spoiler
Grim Reaper and Wonderman and in one of the behind the scenes featurets they did there is clearly character art for Wonderman in the background and one of the intros had Grim Reaper's helmet in between the floorboards of the animated house.
Would love to hear everyone else's theories.
shevek
Producer
Producer

This series started out very slow, as the "post-modernist" aspects of copying retro TV shows was getting a bit annoying.
But now that we know it's pretty much Wanda's own Truman Show, things are moving along at a much quicker pace.
I would even recommend, in the interest of saving time, just skipping the first episodes and going straight to Episode 3
"Now In Color" as that gives the viewer plenty of feel as to what's already happened: Wanda and Vision are in a TV show. We get it.

I don't have any theories but as Philo said, it'll be interesting to see
1) the explanation as to why Vision is still alive (or is he?)
meanwhile I also enjoyed the return of
2) Kat Denning - she is just both funny and gorgeous.
and
3) Teyonnah Paris as Monica Rambeau. Cross your fingers and hope we get to see her in that tight black-and-white Photon costume.
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I have not seen an episode yet, but I've been following along. My predictions :
1. Wanda, the Scarlet Witch, is having a mental breakdown. Terrorized by a Stark Enterprises bomb as a child, experimented on by the Tesseract and mutated, her brother Quicksilver killed, accidentally kills innocent people in Cap 3 and is imprisoned for it, goes on the run with her robot boyfriend, her future hubby is 'killed' by her own hand - brought back to life - and then murdered in front of her eyes. Dies herself in the end of Infinity War. Brought back to life and has absolutely nothing once she returns. The woman needs a happy day.
2. Vision - still dead. Can be rebuilt later on for the next Avengers movie (if you notice the character is not around for the Doctor Strange sequel film, so...) But his brainwaves, or the attempt to recover them, will introduce....
3. Wonder Man. Will make an appearance by the end. Vision's brainwaves will be placed into Simon Williams in an 'attempt' to connect with Wanda in the television world since Simon is an actor. At the same time, the Grim Reaper might be introduced. Bizarre, but I can see it happening somehow in this series...
4. Another character introduced will be Agatha Harkness (the neighbor Agnes). And Photon.
5. Mephisto is the overall villain, taking advantage of Wanda's fragile state and powers to reshape the world after 'the blip'. The next MCU overall villain (like Thanos).
6. The Marvel Multiverse (and the eventual MCU reboot) begins now - 'the blip' and Wanda's abilities are now causing some sort of ripple-effect felt throughout the MCU. The events here also play out in Loki (the tesseract and time travel), Spidey 3 (spidey multi-verse: Sony films like Morbius and Venom 2 joining in on the fun), and Doctor Strange 2 (first MCU horror film / deals with multiverse). Ant-Man 3 has Kang the Conqueror so that's more dimensions and time travel. Yeesh!
6. Quicksilver Returns! But it's Evan Peters!! That's right - the first blending of 'non-Marvel/Disney films' or multiverse visit is that of Wanda's brother. Evan will continue as Quicksilver in the MCU (which opens up James McAvoy returning as Professor X for the X-Men films. Strong possibility James has already had conversations with Marvel/Disney and wants to continue as the character. I bet my dog on it - now that's saying sumthin'!!!).
7. Doctor Strange appears and the events of this series, opening up the multiverse and dealing with Mephisto, will play out in Doctor Strange 2.
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

heroinehunter wrote:
3 years ago

Ant-Man 3 has Kang the Conqueror so that's more dimensions and time travel. Yeesh!
Since it seems they are setting up young Avengers we could see something like they did with Vision in that, where he has the mind of Young Kang in his rebooted body.
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

A soothsayer am I (in regards to one prediction). And I love it.

Marvel acquired 20th Century Fox and all the Marvel material that comes along with it. Sony and Marvel are playing nicey- nice in regards to Spiderman. It just makes sense to use some of the films from the past to move your overall new property or brand along. Honestly, you cannot ignore it. I have a feeling within MCU Phase 4, and the next three years, there will be something of a MCU and Spidey-verse 'mini-reboot'. Some movie elements from the past will be re-introduced into the MCU.

I still say James McAvoy is already signed on to play Professor X in a new series of X-men films. I love my dog too much to make such a foolish bet! Come on, James! Don't let me down!! (seriously man, I love my dog).
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

if mutants are introduced in the MCU through the show, it would be an interesting set-up I guess. A small group of people within the town transformed into mutants, fear and hated by an outside world that doesn't understand what exactly happened.
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

I just don't think there is any need to rush towards mutants. They have a pretty full publishing scheduled out for a few years now and all of their current properties are plenty popular enough. Like, I get people being excited about seeing the X-Men in the MCU, but shouldn't that excitement be about seeing the MCU do their take on them? Just copy-pasting stuff from movies that, in comparison, aren't very good just doesn't seem like it would reach the level of quality the MCU has shot for.
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

I will never get tired of Elizabeth Olson in that red leotard with the pink tights.

Never.
dajinx1
Producer
Producer

Shakeshift wrote:
3 years ago
I will never get tired of Elizabeth Olson in that red leotard with the pink tights.

Never.
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 4.49.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 4.49.10 PM.png (5.08 MiB) Viewed 2363 times
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Spoiler
Spoiler:

Hold on a sec - Wanda is sitting in a cabin in the middle of the woods with a evil demonic book and her next appearance is directed by Sam Raimi? HHmmm.... I think I've seen this one before. Bruce Campbell as Mephisto!! Just kidding!
I do think that there will be a second season announced in the future.

<Mod edit>Have applied the Spoiler button to the post
Damselbinder

heroinehunter wrote:
3 years ago
Spoiler
Spoiler:

Hold on a sec - Wanda is sitting in a cabin in the middle of the woods with a evil demonic book and her next appearance is directed by Sam Raimi? HHmmm.... I think I've seen this one before. Bruce Campbell as Mephisto!! Just kidding!
I do think that there will be a second season announced in the future.
There is a spoiler tag function. Please use that.

<Mod edit>Have applied the Spoiler button to the post
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

That was not cool to say that on here. The episode hasn't even been released for more than a few hours, and you spoil it for everyone?
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

So I binged the show because that's how I roll.

Was pretty great. Amazingly on the nose for the world today, a show about grief and sitcom reruns. Enjoyable as a slow burning mystery too.
shevek
Producer
Producer

I hope it's not spoiler-esque to say that after sitting through all of this postmodern sitcom jazz, it was finally a pretty awesome
costume that Wanda ended up wearing. Curvaceous and evocative - she comes out looking like a really powerful heroine. I really hope she gets to wear that all throughout the next phase of movies, and that she doesn't go back to just a jacket and tight pants. Maybe don't post any unconcealed photos of it here for at least a couple weeks so it doesn't run the surprise of seeing it for the first time!
BIG_MAMA
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

I really enjoyed the first season. I love the fact they have kept it so open. There are so many different directions the show could go in, personally I think it was really well written.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
I hope it's not spoiler-esque to say that after sitting through all of this postmodern sitcom jazz, it was finally a pretty awesome
costume that Wanda ended up wearing. Curvaceous and evocative - she comes out looking like a really powerful heroine. I really hope she gets to wear that all throughout the next phase of movies, and that she doesn't go back to just a jacket and tight pants. Maybe don't post any unconcealed photos of it here for at least a couple weeks so it doesn't run the surprise of seeing it for the first time!
I think she's being set up as the villain for the next phase. The whole 'you're destined to destroy the world' thing might be considered foreshadowing or a clue or whatever.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
3 years ago
shevek wrote:
3 years ago
I think she's being set up as the villain for the next phase. The whole 'you're destined to destroy the world' thing might be considered foreshadowing or a clue or whatever.
I doubt she'd be a villain for a full phase. Maaaaaybe the next Dr. Strange movie... maybe. TBH the way the show was building up, I was fairly convinced it was setting up for her to be a villain in the future, the way the show ended, I'm fairly sure that she won't.

But mostly, Show don't Tell... ESPECIALLY in the medium of film.

Prophesies aren't proper character foreshadowing because it's all 'tell'... I mean thus far at least Marvel's SHOWN us enough about Scarlett Witch's mental state as to make certain villainous actions she might take in the future at least more plausible than say... a slave liberator suddenly turning around and burning a whole kingdom to the ground for no reason... but I kind of hate it when people go 'this thing got said, so its foreshadowed!' because that's all 'told' and not demonstrated. Characters ACTIONS foreshadow, things just told about them don't count and best work perhaps as explanations for what other characters might believe about them and act a round them, it's not actually proper storytelling to use things told about a character as if they are absolute truth... but again, at least Wanda's got enough going on that there are actual avenues I could see that might lead down a temporary antagonist route... I just have a hard time seeing her as a full PHASE villain.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It's a prophesy so it's kind of it's own thing I guess. It probably isn't going to be true, but the implication is she's the hub of the conflict.
Spoiler
Thing to bear in mind too, she's already kind of the villain of Wandavision. Her action with the town is the villainous act that traps and mindfucks three thousand people and she resurrects Vision against his will. Her actions draw the attention of Agatha, and they provoke the opportunistic idiot in charge of SWORD, but while they involve themselves in the unfolding mayhem, it's Wanda's show.

Also notable, Wanda doesn't stick around to help make things right. She's out of there. Not very heroic.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Could be like Ragnarock where the prophecy was really about saving the Asguardians.