Supergirl launches her own production company!

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

....and has signed a deal with Warner Brothers! (yeah...I mean Melissa Benoist)

https://deadline.com/2021/02/melissa-be ... 234693064/
-
Very interesting news!
Looks like she has an idea for her working life after being Supergirl on TV.
I wonder if that production company will make superhero shows for Warner Brothers.
Perhaps she thereby gets her own TV show that she produces and stars in?

Looking forward to where this leads. :hmmm:
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I'm not convinced it would be SH related.
Might do an SH show with another actress but I doubt her vehicle would be SH themed.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It's a way of getting better control of future shows and more money as producer and actress in them.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

All she has plus brains too....beautiful!! She is MY KIND of girl..AND she's Blonde!!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Actresses forming production companies goes as far back as the early 1900s when the very popular actress Mary Pickford joined with Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks and the director D. W. Griffith to found United Artists, which is a company that still exists a full century later. So, is Melissa forming her own production company a good idea. One would say so. I wish her lots of success.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
I wonder if that production company will make superhero shows for Warner Brothers.
Perhaps she thereby gets her own TV show that she produces and stars in?
Hate to break this to you, but Melissa Benoist has only a passing interest in superheroes in real life. When she got the role she was asked repeatedly about her geek credentials at SDCC, and she basically explained she used to be a big Star Wars fan as a kid, and she'd read a few graphic novels in high school. Pretty much her primary interests are singing and serious drama. If she's developing her own content, it is more likely to be closer to Glee than Supergirl.

If there's any cast member likely to be involved in superhero-related stuff post-SG, my money is on David Harewood. He genuinely seems to enjoy playing Martian Manhunter, and has always joked about wanting to play Bond or Doctor Who.

R5
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

^ Yeah, the chances that her company doing a superheroine show aren't really that big.
But one can always hope ;)
-
As long she doesn't produce an indie-drama series about a 90-year-old Peruvian grandmother who sits in her mountain hut, baking broccoli pie while she is waiting for the mailman who never shows up to bring her the new teeth she ordered from a catalog back in 1998....it should be a good thing.

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Bert

I'm all for Benoist starting her own production company and I wish her well. As for the idea that she might create superheroine content that would be appealing to this site, I'd say that's extremely unlikely. Melissa's life arc over the last five or six years argues strongly against it. As good as the first two or three years of Supergirl was (despite the eye-rollingly bad writing), events have conspired against seeing more such content from her, either as an actress or producer.

First, Melissa was in, or in the process of getting out of, a physically abusive relationship when she got her big break and landed the Supergirl role. As is often the case in these terrible situations, she didn't tell anyone about it at the time. This led to her acting out scenes of violence on the show week in,week out as she was dealing with the trauma of being a battered woman. That really sucks.

Second, the main creative force behind the show was forced out (rightly) during the third season for being abusive with cast and crew. That, combined with Melissa bravely coming forward with her story of partner abuse, resulted in a quick about face in the structure of the show.

So, given these facts, it seems clear that nothing produced by or starring the lovely Melissa is ever going to venture into anything resembling peril.

We were very lucky to get Supergirl the show. But through an unlikely series of terrible events, the show ended up neutered and unwatchably over-woke. Oddly, news from the past week has outed Joss Whedon as another abusive prick. Multiple actors have called him out for being a giant asshole, or worse. So two of my favorite shows of the last 25 years, Supergirl and Buffy, both have ugly asterisks next to them now. Dang it.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

If it makes you feel better, Bert, I was a Bill Cosby fan.
Damselbinder

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
I'm all for Benoist starting her own production company and I wish her well. As for the idea that she might create superheroine content that would be appealing to this site, I'd say that's extremely unlikely. Melissa's life arc over the last five or six years argues strongly against it. As good as the first two or three years of Supergirl was (despite the eye-rollingly bad writing), events have conspired against seeing more such content from her, either as an actress or producer.

First, Melissa was in, or in the process of getting out of, a physically abusive relationship when she got her big break and landed the Supergirl role. As is often the case in these terrible situations, she didn't tell anyone about it at the time. This led to her acting out scenes of violence on the show week in,week out as she was dealing with the trauma of being a battered woman. That really sucks.

Second, the main creative force behind the show was forced out (rightly) during the third season for being abusive with cast and crew. That, combined with Melissa bravely coming forward with her story of partner abuse, resulted in a quick about face in the structure of the show.

So, given these facts, it seems clear that nothing produced by or starring the lovely Melissa is ever going to venture into anything resembling peril.

We were very lucky to get Supergirl the show. But through an unlikely series of terrible events, the show ended up neutered and unwatchably over-woke. Oddly, news from the past week has outed Joss Whedon as another abusive prick. Multiple actors have called him out for being a giant asshole, or worse. So two of my favorite shows of the last 25 years, Supergirl and Buffy, both have ugly asterisks next to them now. Dang it.
Buffy hurts. That show (and Angel) had so much heart; it's awful to think it was produced through Joss being a massive shitheel.
Bert

Yeah, Michelle Trachtenberg revealed that after an undisclosed incident Whedon wasn't allowed to be alone in a room with her. She was 15 at the time. From what various actors and writers have posted, Whedon comes off as a narcissist who enjoyed messing with people just to enjoy abusing the power he had. There was a similar story in Canada a few years back involving the host of a very popular CBC Radio program. Everything seemed great from the outside, but behind the scenes is was chaos. He finally got outed when multiple women came forward accusing him of beating on them during dates. Once the floodgates opened after he was fired, staff revealed toxic workplace stories. Favouring one employee one day, only to crush them the next day, setting people against each other for his amusement, just tons of abusive power-mongering.
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

There have been rumors of Joss Whedon purposefully exposing his genitalia to female stars of his shows for years circulating on the con circuits in NYC and Boston. I wouldn't be surprised if he exposed himself to Trachtenberg when she was 15, hoping to see if she was interested in his junk. He's such a fucking dirtbag.
Bert

Lurkndog wrote:
3 years ago
If it makes you feel better, Bert, I was a Bill Cosby fan.
Yeah, I think most everyone was. It sucks to see people you admire turn out to be scumbags. I used to have tremendous respect for Joss Whedon. Now, much as I still love Buffy, this spoils it a little. I have the same problem with Supergirl. I was so critical of the show when they made the big pivot away from good action, only to learn that Melissa was a domestic abuse survivor. Now that colours all the things I originally loved about the show.
Bert

Shakeshift wrote:
3 years ago
There have been rumors of Joss Whedon purposefully exposing his genitalia to female stars of his shows for years circulating on the con circuits in NYC and Boston. I wouldn't be surprised if he exposed himself to Trachtenberg when she was 15, hoping to see if she was interested in his junk. He's such a fucking dirtbag.
What is with these creeps? That's just like Louis C.K. and Weinstein. Did they have a little club?
Damselbinder

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Shakeshift wrote:
3 years ago
What is with these creeps? That's just like Louis C.K. and Weinstein. Did they have a little club?
The whole entertainment industry is just so disposed to powerful little cliques, isn't it? If you're in a good position you can make or break people by snapping your fingers. So many people are so desperate to get into it, and employment and success can be so precarious that they'll tolerate a huge amount from the powerful, and until recently the powerful (and hell Joss Whedon was just one producer and that was still enough) I guess felt little fear of reprisal.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bert wrote:
3 years ago

Its extreme narcissism. Exposing one self is a symptom of this. Another is wielding of power.
The whole entertainment industry is just so disposed to powerful little cliques, isn't it? If you're in a good position you can make or break people by snapping your fingers. So many people are so desperate to get into it, and employment and success can be so precarious that they'll tolerate a huge amount from the powerful, and until recently the powerful (and hell Joss Whedon was just one producer and that was still enough) I guess felt little fear of reprisal.
I don't believe these people are victims. They know what they are doing. This is more one narcissist exploiting another. None of the women Weinstien exploited gave back their oscars or the millions they made. And not ONE of these women warned the next woman. That's why I find the claims against Cosby to be bogus. 60 women and not one of these women warned any other woman?
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

I don't believe these people are victims. They know what they are doing. This is more one narcissist exploiting another. None of the women Weinstien exploited gave back their oscars or the millions they made. And not ONE of these women warned the next woman. That's why I find the claims against Cosby to be bogus. 60 women and not one of these women warned any other woman?

Wow..... so, when you are a victim to someone you should give back your prizes and earned money? :hmmm:
So getting abused wasn't enough?
So they are ALL lying? That is so evil to say.... (that's what you are saying with your Cosby example)
And how should these women warn possible next victims?
Is there an address book with telephone numbers of all of those people who might get in contact with Weinstein?
They knew exactly what would possible would happen to them if they talk to anyone about it.
That's how the whole thing works for such asshats like Weinstein.
Do what you want with them and make sure they don't talk.
How do you know who was talking to whom?

It's funny how you ...again....attack the victims and blame them.
I guess a rape victim is to be blamed when she is wearing a short skirt in your opinion? :no:
So, Cosby and Weinstein are the victims of a female conspiracy against them? Or they were perhaps a little bad ...but all of the women took advantage of the situation?

Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Bert wrote:
3 years ago

Its extreme narcissism. Exposing one self is a symptom of this. Another is wielding of power.
I think that is a repugnant sentiment, and frankly just bald-facedly ignorant of the psychology of abuse. And I beg your pardon, but how do you know none of them warned anyone else? When systems of power are in place, or are seen to be in place, the whole point is that people feel unable to come forward publicly. Plus, your very reaction is part of the reason why people stay quiet. They're terrified of not being believed, and of potentially ruining their career and getting no justice. Also... give back their Oscars? What the fuck, frankly, are you talking about? "I was abused therefore let me just hand back all my achievements." That makes it seem like you think they 'paid' for their success with what happened to them, and that to demand justice they have to give their success back.

And yes, I'm sure some people are dishonest. But I'm also sure that a lot of them aren't.
Last edited by Damselbinder 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago

Wow..... so, when you are a victim to someone you should give back your prizes and earned money? :hmmm:
1. I don't believe they were victims.
2. Yes.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

OK let's calm it down guys.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago

As long she doesn't produce an indie-drama series about a 90-year-old Peruvian grandmother who sits in her mountain hut, baking broccoli pie while she is waiting for the mailman who never shows up to bring her the new teeth she ordered from a catalog back in 1998....it should be a good thing.
I've just bought the option on that idea, Maskripper. The 90 year old Peruvian will be played by Eva Mendes and will include a wrap-around framework of her in aged makeup and then go to a flashback for most of the movie with her as a beautiful broccoli farmer in the foothills of Peru who falls in love with Andy Garcia and, well, you get the picture. Tragedy ensues with horrific dental issues in act two!

Trying to inject some lightness in yet another thread that has gotten dark and political.
:confused: :no:

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Bert wrote:
3 years ago

Somehow It doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't consider someone blatantly victimized to be a victim due to some poppycock explanation or another. Weinstien's actors earning acclaim for their performance through his bullshit doesn't invalidate their achievement, and to indicate that it DOES simply because they were victimized through the process is a whole lotta bullshit.

"Well none of Cosby's victims warned any of his successive victims about him, therefore it's okay that they got raped" is not a valid defense strategy.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
3 years ago

Somehow It doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't consider someone blatantly victimized to be a victim due to some poppycock explanation or another. Weinstien's actors earning acclaim for their performance through his bullshit doesn't invalidate their achievement, and to indicate that it DOES simply because they were victimized through the process is a whole lotta bullshit.
I accept women are my equals and they are moral agents and culpable for the choices they make. These women weren't mugged. They knew what they were getting into and were willing to perform sex acts to further their career. If this happened the Henry Cavill would you say he was a victim?

Yes if fooling around got an actress an oscar and a movie role then NO she is not a victim. She could have walked away. And its not assumed walking away means you never win. Plenty of actresses win without doing these things.

I will not infantalize women. They don't deserve that insulation. They can be just as rotten, diabolical, narcissistic and exploitative as men. Women are equals, not special needs kids.
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

If this happened the Henry Cavill would you say he was a victim?
YES. Were you not aware that Kevin Spacey's victims were men? It doesn't just happen to women and no-one - except you - is pretending that it is.

Also you are aware Bill Cosby has been accused of literally drugging and raping his victims? Not just pressuring them (which is already plenty bad). And people have been making the allegations since the 80s, they just only recently got attention. A criminal complaint was first filed against him in the year 2000. That's quite a while ago now.
Bert

Just don't engage. It's not worth it. Would you argue religion with Tammy Faye Bakker? Or calculus with a four year old? Just let it go.
Damselbinder

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Just don't engage. It's not worth it. Would you argue religion with Tammy Faye Bakker? Or calculus with a four year old? Just let it go.
Yeah, you're right.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

YES. Were you not aware that Kevin Spacey's victims were men? It doesn't just happen to women and no-one - except you - is pretending that it is.
Were their careers ruined for saying NO?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Yes people view things differently. Its called diversity. And instead of forcing everyone into one collective that imposes one view on all, accept there are different views. So what I see this issue differently. At least I'm not so arrogant as to think I'm some hero "saving the little ladies".
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

OK let's all get back on to Melissa shall we.

What sort of stuff do we think she will do
A) Wildlife documentaries
B) Sci Fi / SH
C) Historical dramas
D) Educational /kids programnes
E) Arts programmes
F) Legal drama
G) Light cop /PI detective show
H) Quiz shows
I) 28 part in depth profile of handsome Welsh forum moderators

Or something else?

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago

You actually believe you have 28 facets of your character worthy of profiling? Would each part include a trip to the pub and give in-depth analysis of your ales of choice?

And handsome? By what measure? In a fall off the motorbike and dragged 50 feet on your face kind of way handsome?

:giggle:

Bert

DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago

You actually believe you have 28 facets of your character worthy of profiling? Would each part include a trip to the pub and give in-depth analysis of your ales of choice?

And handsome? By what measure? In a fall off the motorbike and dragged 50 feet on your face kind of way handsome?

:giggle:
No no. Not 28 parts devoted the the same moderator. 28 different moderators. Personally, I think Tally should have wished for 29!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I'll have you know I got film star looks. Unfortunately it's Anthony Hopkins when he played Quasi Modo, but hey. Still counts.

So anyhow what do we think she will likely pitch for as a first effort?
Maybe one- off TV movie drama?
A mini series?
A biopic?

Or something else.

I realise it's all I'll informed random speculation, but hey that's what forums are for.

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The first movie will be a history-biopic that then turns into a horror/drama-movie.
Madame Curie becomes French-Hulk after a minor accident in the lab. The other cast then try to convince her to use her powers for mankind but she becomes a drug addict and has strong hallucinations about a ship on its maiden voyage hitting an iceberg.
She swims over to Belfast and smashes Harland & Wolf to avoid all that from happening.
200 workers die as collateral damage and she then becomes a wanted criminal.
She gets depressed, eats broccoli, and loses all her super powers.
With a globe on her desk and a white cat on her lab, she plans her next moves.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I'd watch that. Just add lesbians
You left out the lesbians.
Never leave out the lesbians

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
I accept women are my equals and they are moral agents and culpable for the choices they make. These women weren't mugged. They knew what they were getting into and were willing to perform sex acts to further their career. If this happened the Henry Cavill would you say he was a victim?
Equality has got zip all to do with victimization, crime and punishment. Regardless of age, race, or gender a victim is a victim. It doesn't matter if you see the person you're sexually harassing is your equal, it's still sexual harassment.

And yes, I would consider it just as valid if say, Patty Jenkins was forcing Henry Cavill to use the casting couch to remain Superman or something. I know that 'well we only whine about it when it's involving women!!!!' is a popular smoke screen for dismissing real world issues like this, but it is only a smoke screen.
Yes if fooling around got an actress an oscar and a movie role then NO she is not a victim. She could have walked away. And its not assumed walking away means you never win. Plenty of actresses win without doing these things.
Probably says something that you're perspective is 'fooling around got the oscar' The Actor got the Oscar by putting in a performance that the Academy deemed prolific enough to award it to them. It's got fuck all to do with who hired them. There's no rhyme or reason in deducing that since she kept the symbol of her occupational excellence as awarded by her peers, that she just has to accept that she's gonna sometimes get fucked by Harvey Weinstein sometimes when he feels like it, HOW he feels like it. It's nonsense.
I will not infantalize women. They don't deserve that insulation. They can be just as rotten, diabolical, narcissistic and exploitative as men. Women are equals, not special needs kids.
Which again, has fuck all to do with punishing abusers for their victimization. Equality is in punishing everyone for the same crimes equally, not in assuming that because we are equals there is no crime.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Bert wrote:
3 years ago

How about Mira Sorvino, who was essentially blacklisted after turning Weinstein down? Wasn't she a victim? I always wondered what happened to her after her big break and Oscar win and now we know why she largely disappeared from films and never achieved the stardom and took advantage of that Oscar win. Now we know. One wonders how many careers Weinstein torpedoed and derailed because some of these women refused Weinstein's unwanted advances and attention.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Equality has got..
Why is it if someone has a different view than you or does not agree you push them to the most extreme horrific label?
bushwackerbob wrote:How about Mira Sorvino, who was essentially blacklisted after turning Weinstein down? Wasn't she a victim? I always wondered what happened to her after her big break and Oscar win and now we know why she largely disappeared from films and never achieved the stardom and took advantage of that Oscar win. Now we know. One wonders how many careers Weinstein torpedoed and derailed because some of these women refused Weinstein's unwanted advances and attention.
Don't know Bob. conservatives in Hollywood get black listed all the time for example so there are many reasons for black listing. Maybe she said something unacceptable?

She turned Weinstein down. If he black listed her then yes I would agree she's a victim. Is Tara Reid a victim?
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Equality has got..
Why is it if someone has a different view than you or does not agree you push them to the most extreme horrific label?
bushwackerbob wrote:How about Mira Sorvino, who was essentially blacklisted after turning Weinstein down? Wasn't she a victim? I always wondered what happened to her after her big break and Oscar win and now we know why she largely disappeared from films and never achieved the stardom and took advantage of that Oscar win. Now we know. One wonders how many careers Weinstein torpedoed and derailed because some of these women refused Weinstein's unwanted advances and attention.
Don't know Bob. conservatives in Hollywood get black listed all the time for example so there are many reasons for black listing. Maybe she said something unacceptable?

She turned Weinstein down. If he black listed her then yes I would agree she's a victim. Is Tara Reid a victim?
I am not aware of anything Sorvino may have said in order for her to get blacklisted in the 90's, and conservative actors kind of stand out in stark contrast to the rest of that liberal crowd in Hollywood and I think we would already know if she had conservative leanings. Being a conservative actor to be sure was no walk in the park in the 90's, but it is nothing compared to today when telling folks you have killed a family of five (sarcasm) is preferable to calling oneself a conservative in Hollywood circles in this day and age. Comparing the obvious talent of Mira Sorvino to Tara Reid is like comparing a four course meal at your favorite restaurant to getting a happy meal at McDonald's. Tara Reid had some much publicized substance abuse problems which led to her career stalling at one point as well.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Equality has got..
You didn't actually respond to me so I assume that means you've given up? I've got no context to answer your question with. I don't recall 'labeling' anything in this conversation outside of esoterically notating things. But with what I've got to work with here, I'd encourage you to take your own question and apply it to your own opinion. You appear to have taken the stance that, a person sexually assaulted in the Hollywood sphere A: Doesn't deserve to keep the awards they've earned (or perhaps SHOULDN'T keep them as a form of principle protest?) in the industry if they have actually been sexually assaulted somewhere along the process, B: Are at equal fault with the instigating parties if they don't immediately turn around and report the incident regardless of whatever societal and occupational pressures they may be under and C: That the casting couch is the primary notation of import in the acquisition of any acclaim they acquired along the process. It's not EXTREME to say that appears like 'extreme horrific' bullshit. In fact all of that appears, to me, like 'extreme horrific labeling' of the problem of the Casting Couch... then an attempt to WRITE IT OFF under the label of 'oh er... equality!'

If that isn't what you meant, I encourage you to put it right. Cause frankly, it's neither extreme nor horrific to label that perspective a s Bullshit.

What is it with the new age agenda that people honestly believe sticking their heads in the sand is gonna solve problems?
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
Comparing the obvious talent of Mira Sorvino to Tara Reid is like comparing a four course meal at your favorite restaurant to getting a happy meal at McDonald's. Tara Reid had some much publicized substance abuse problems which led to her career stalling at one point as well.
Ouch... I just hope Tera Reid isn't reading this.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
Comparing the obvious talent of Mira Sorvino to Tara Reid..

Maybe I got the wrong name. I meant the woman who was assaulted by Joe Biden.
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
Comparing the obvious talent of Mira Sorvino to Tara Reid..

Maybe I got the wrong name. I meant the woman who was assaulted by Joe Biden.
Tara Reade. Tara Reid is the name of a Hollywood actress who was somewhat famous in the early oughts.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

In the case of Spacey (at least in the Mass case) wasn't the person who accused him proven to be lying?
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

In the case of Spacey (at least in the Mass case) wasn't the person who accused him proven to be lying?
No. No in fact FIFTEEN people ultimately came out to accuse him... Fifteen MEN, who are traditionally less likely to come out about this sort of thing thanks to the BS culture that likes to shame men for showing any kind of vulnerability, and while most of them didn't peruse any form of legal compensation, their stories all paint a fairly consistant picture of behavior. It's not necessarily the NUMBER of accusations so much as it is the consistency and familiarity of Spacey's behavior throughout these many different statements made by his victims. The one LAWSUIT was dropped because the accuser died... and traditionally death is the end of any legal battles you're involved in... which in my opinion is a shame, since resolution of these sorts of things protects future victims as much as it brings justice to victims of the past.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

No. No in fact FIFTEEN people ultimately came out to accuse him... Fifteen MEN, who are traditionally less likely to come out about this sort of thing thanks to the BS culture that likes to shame men for showing any kind of vulnerability, and while most of them didn't peruse any form of legal compensation, their stories all paint a fairly consistant picture of behavior. It's not necessarily the NUMBER of accusations so much as it is the consistency and familiarity of Spacey's behavior throughout these many different statements made by his victims. The one LAWSUIT was dropped because the accuser died... and traditionally death is the end of any legal battles you're involved in... which in my opinion is a shame, since resolution of these sorts of things protects future victims as much as it brings justice to victims of the past.
He dropped his lawsuit because he was going to have to testify and he had already been proven a liar. He died after that
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

They were different accusers. One refused to testify and 3 others died, at least one by suicide

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I am only talking about the Mass case.

But an important point here. there is a new tendency to presume guilt not only in these type of case but many others.

It's dangerous!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
I am only talking about the Mass case.

But an important point here. there is a new tendency to presume guilt not only in these type of case but many others.

It's dangerous!
Legally this statement is false. People remain innocent until proven guilty and that's not likely to ever change. SOCIALLY it can be very different... but that's actually the reality of the first amendment at work. Most people believe the Freedom of Speech allows them to say or do whatever they want without consequence, but that isn't true. Freedom of Speech isn't freedom of consequence, ALL it covers is legality. You're free to say whatever you want, you aren't free of societies ability to ostracize you for it... because everyone else has the freedom to tell you that you're a monster and they want nothing to do with you... which is why nobody should be on Twitter... period.

HOWEVER... in cases like this, in terms of the danger of SOCIETY presuming guilt over innocence in cases like this, one has to weigh that against the dangers of society presuming innocence over cases like this as well... and I have never been convinced that either outweighs the other... If Spacey is indeed guilty, then it's beneficial to society that he's been ostracized and presuming his innocence would simply have allowed him to continue abusing his peers indefinitely. That weighs against the risk of the average individual becoming accused by society... one generally needs to be a famous individual for ALL of society to recognize and judge them over... which often means that they're already financially capable of retiring to obscurity comfortably.

Personally I think it's better that people have the fear of persecution to keep them on the up and up and discourage abusing others... but I'd also acknowledge that when someone is falsely persecuted there's nothing less tragic about that necessarily than the victims of factual persecution... but their opposites on a spectrum, and I would argue that the spectrum has been weighted toward allowing for predators far too long, and really all we're seeing right now is society growing up a little bit and loosing its tolerance. Fifteen accusers is simply too many for them to all be false, and again, when you read the accounts of what Spacey did to each of them, they very much read like a pattern of familiar behavior... things like grabbing genitals and not letting go, appearing angry, etc. Fifteen separate accounts painting a similar picture is pretty damning... but fret not for Mr. Spacey, for persecuted though he may be, he IS in fact, a Millionaire and will no doubt find retirement comfortable... and with hopefully fewer opportunities to sexually abuse young men.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
3 years ago

Personally I think it's better that people have the fear of persecution to keep them on the up and up and discourage abusing others...
That's Hobbesian thinking and its fundamentally flawed. It suffers from Hobbes's paradox.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Femina wrote:
3 years ago

Personally I think it's better that people have the fear of persecution to keep them on the up and up and discourage abusing others...
That's Hobbesian thinking and its fundamentally flawed. It suffers from Hobbes's paradox.
Which is why I followed up the statement with further consideration. I don't believe in anything ABSOLUTELY. I always, always, ALWAYS prefer to look at a thing from multiple angles, consider the circumstances etc. before I come to my own conclusions (though I would like to think I come to no conclusion so completely as to ignore good evidence that refutes it) I can't say that I always SUCCEED at this, cause I'm human, but it is the method I strive toward. Where I CAN'T do that of course, I have more general trends of thought, and I would still consider that generally it's better for people to worry about breaking the law where the question of abuse toward others is concerned than it is for people to feel free to do whatever they want to others, whenever they want.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So Femina you approve that the Duke LaCrosse team and their coach suffered great hut and finanical loss ? Or that the two Sacred Heart football players never got their scholarships back.

Or that many Dem Senators said it would be better than Kavanaugh widthdraw because women are to believed even though Ford and Swtnick were lying