Lovers Of Yvonne Craig Batgirl

General discussions about superheroines!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

This user over on YouTube has put together a couple of Batgirl Supercuts that are very entertaining!

Here is an example.

sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

These were cut from the remastered DVDs. They look better than they ever did on a TV.

As a side note getting people to take a Bat-antidote pill for fear gas would be almost impossible based un founded fears....
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
As a side note getting people to take a Bat-antidote pill for fear gas would be almost impossible based un founded fears....
If they used the Alfred version in Harley Quinn: The Animated Series, I wouldn't trust him either. Robin was right not to trust him.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
These were cut from the remastered DVDs. They look better than they ever did on a TV.

And the show looks even better on Blu-ray ;-)
Bought that some years ago on amazon in Italy as it was really cheap.
For some reasons I am only interested in season 3 of the collection :hmmm: ;)
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Damselbinder

It is remarkable that Yvonne Craig's costume was so cheap looking by any reasonable modern broadcast standard, but it just looked beyond-belief sexy. I doubt the costume department had a big budget, but they must have been very, very skilled... and of course they had an absurdly attractive human being to work with.
tamonicus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I read somewhere it was made of Lurex, a metallic fabric, also used for the Catwoman costumes (according to Wikipedia).

I cannot swear this is correct, but I found this photo online purporting to the Yvonne Craig's costume.
costume.jpg
costume.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
I disagree with Damselbinder's comment of the costume being cheap. I'll bet it was state of the art as of late 1960's. It looks terrible without Yvonne in it, but with her in it... <I bite the butt of hand> It fit her perfectly---every contour---and yet, she was able to move freely in it. I think what made the costume, besides Yvonne, was the craftsmanship that went into making it.
Damselbinder

tamonicus wrote:
3 years ago
I read somewhere it was made of Lurex, a metallic fabric, also used for the Catwoman costumes (according to Wikipedia).

I cannot swear this is correct, but I found this photo online purporting to the Yvonne Craig's costume.

costume.jpg

I disagree with Damselbinder's comment of the costume being cheap. I'll bet it was state of the art as of late 1960's. It looks terrible without Yvonne in it, but with her in it... <I bite the butt of hand> It fit her perfectly---every contour---and yet, she was able to move freely in it. I think what made the costume, besides Yvonne, was the craftsmanship that went into making it.
But that was exactly what I said, that the craftsmanship must have been amazing because it DOES look good. It looks cheap by a MODERN standard, but still good. See what I'm saying?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
It is remarkable that Yvonne Craig's costume was so cheap looking by any reasonable modern broadcast standard, but it just looked beyond-belief sexy. I doubt the costume department had a big budget, but they must have been very, very skilled... and of course they had an absurdly attractive human being to work with.
Costume is still iconic.

Good reason that Christina Carter, Kendra James and others still model their Batgirl on it.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
tamonicus wrote:
3 years ago

costume.jpg

But that was exactly what I said, that the craftsmanship must have been amazing because it DOES look good. It looks cheap by a MODERN standard, but still good. See what I'm saying?
I never thought it looked cheap. In a way it her outfit is pretty amazing. If you look at a lot of costumes from then and even into today, they are pretty formless.
Leotards are basically a tube into which you slide a female. Tummies stick out an boobs are squished in.
Materials of the late 60s were not particularly stretchy and giving it that sparkle so you male viewers could appreciate her curves weren’t making the problem easier. Her costume was tailored to fit and accentuate her feminine wiles...
Most of the commercially available Batgirl 69 costumes either become formless tubes or hang on the girls because the don’t fit. Angela Sommers costume was constructed constructed much more like the show than most of the cheap versions.
tamonicus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Damselbinder: No problem. Thanks for clarifying. I agree their methods were primitive by today's standards. I really doubt anything looked better at that time. I think Yvonne's first first costume pressed her chest so much that a producer said something like, "This costume hides the one--no, make that two--reasons we cast her!"

With regards to EW & DG, I read their costumes were made of satin, a better material than Lurex. I've seen spandex, a still more superior fabric, look great on some women & lousy on others. While I think EW & DG's costumes used more advanced materials & looked great, I still contend Yvonne's was better made.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I HAVE to get that costume that Angela Summers wears...mmmmmm Purrrfect!
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

tamonicus wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder: No problem. Thanks for clarifying. I agree their methods were primitive by today's standards. I really doubt anything looked better at that time. I think Yvonne's first first costume pressed her chest so much that a producer said something like, "This costume hides the one--no, make that two--reasons we cast her!"

With regards to EW & DG, I read their costumes were made of satin, a better material than Lurex. I've seen spandex, a still more superior fabric, look great on some women & lousy on others. While I think EW & DG's costumes used more advanced materials & looked great, I still contend Yvonne's was better made.

They're my top three superheroine costumes, though in order, to me, they're !. Dyna Girl. 2). Electra Woman and 3). Batgirl.

My only regret is that because EW & DG was a kid's show, they couldn't do anything as kinky as the traps Batgirl found herself in. Except for a brief amount of time when you saw Electra Woman in a net that the Spider Lady dropped on her and when Dyna Girl was straining against Glitter Rocks' walls, you never really got to see them struggle.

I would have given anything to see them in something like the pattern cutter, cat's whiskers, Siamese Human Knot or saber dance and caviar dunk or better yet, the human surfboards or magnifying glass traps Batman and Robin were in.

On the other hand, as much as I liked Batgirl's costume and how Yvonne looked in it, I kind of wish it could have been a leotard and tights like Electra Woman and Dyna Girl's.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

IMSancho wrote:
3 years ago
tamonicus wrote:
3 years ago

They're my top three superheroine costumes, though in order, to me, they're !. Dyna Girl. 2). Electra Woman and 3). Batgirl.

My only regret is that because EW & DG was a kid's show, they couldn't do anything as kinky as the traps Batgirl found herself in. Except for a brief amount of time when you saw Electra Woman in a net that the Spider Lady dropped on her and when Dyna Girl was straining against Glitter Rocks' walls, you never really got to see them struggle.

I would have given anything to see them in something like the pattern cutter, cat's whiskers, Siamese Human Knot or saber dance and caviar dunk or better yet, the human surfboards or magnifying glass traps Batman and Robin were in.

On the other hand, as much as I liked Batgirl's costume and how Yvonne looked in it, I kind of wish it could have been a leotard and tights like Electra Woman and Dyna Girl's.
Or really have Evil Dyna Girl torment Electra Woman.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

IMSancho wrote:
3 years ago
tamonicus wrote:
3 years ago

The main reason you didn’t see EW & DG in anything like the traps Batgirl faced was because they weren’t willing to spend money on the production costs. The less they spent the better. It also explains the really cheesy effects and stunts. Children’s programming was there only to sell ad space.

If you look at the skirt length on Isis, Joy on the Bugaloos, Daphne Blake, or the intense BDSM themes in The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, producers had no problem selling sexy to minors. They did have an aversion to spending money...

Batgirl never never got the elaborate death traps because by the third season, they were cutting production costs. Giant clams, spinning turbines and giant frosty-freezes cost money and the producers weren’t willing to pay for them. A fourth season had been a possibility, but they had already scrapped the batcave set.

It would have been cool if they had sent Robin to college and had Batman and Batgirl running parallel investigation giving her more screen time and better perils.
tamonicus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

The main reason you didn’t see EW & DG in anything like the traps Batgirl faced was because they weren’t willing to spend money on the production costs.
That was very true for EW & DG. That was shot on a very tight schedule. Judy Strangis said they shot an episode a day. (She wasn't clear if that she meant one of the eight two-part episodes or one the sixteen half-episodes.) Whichever, she said it emphatically, as if that was a very compressed shooting schedule.

Deidre Hall said the set was very warm. Since Sid & Marty Krofft also produced the Donny & Marie Osmond show, she & Jane Elliott (Cleopatra) used to hang out on the Donny & Marie set & sit on the ice used by the skaters in the opening number. Marie Osmond is rumored to have sung the EW & DG theme song. Then there's this comedic (?) sketch from Donny & Marie. Anything look familiar?

IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
IMSancho wrote:
3 years ago
tamonicus wrote:
3 years ago

The main reason you didn’t see EW & DG in anything like the traps Batgirl faced was because they weren’t willing to spend money on the production costs. The less they spent the better. It also explains the really cheesy effects and stunts. Children’s programming was there only to sell ad space.

If you look at the skirt length on Isis, Joy on the Bugaloos, Daphne Blake, or the intense BDSM themes in The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, producers had no problem selling sexy to minors. They did have an aversion to spending money...

Batgirl never never got the elaborate death traps because by the third season, they were cutting production costs. Giant clams, spinning turbines and giant frosty-freezes cost money and the producers weren’t willing to pay for them. A fourth season had been a possibility, but they had already scrapped the batcave set.

It would have been cool if they had sent Robin to college and had Batman and Batgirl running parallel investigation giving her more screen time and better perils.

Perhaps you're right. You think if Electra Woman and Dyna Girl had gotten another season that we would have seen them tied up, struggling and writhing like Yvonne in the Cat's Whiskers?
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The only episodes where Electra Woman and Dyna Girl had to struggle were the aforementioned net versus the Spider Lady and the nets over boiling oil with Ali Baba. Everything else was save money with simple traps and spend it on a few animals.
tamonicus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Can anyone shed any light on why the Kroffts pulled the plug on ElectraWoman & DynaGirl after one season? It was one of three serialized shows, along with Wonderbug & Dr. Shrinker, plus some unwatchable "comedic" routines & obviously fake musical routines. I doubt Nielsen ratings were sophisticated enough to tell which segments of the Krofft Supershow had the best viewership.

Hey, it's not like decades later anyone's talking about Wonderbug, Dr. Shrinker, or Captain Kool & the Kongs. I think the Kroffts were way too hasty, especially with the advent of Wonder Woman and the Bionic Woman.
MaryAnn
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
I know that discussion was done a long time ago and if you don't mind, I have some experience about Bat-suit!

I don't know about the cost of the fabric of her bat-suit by that time but now it's expensive. I've been cosplaying as Batgirl (Yvonne Craig) and I did want to create her exact bat-suit. I found that it was made from purple lame with metal coating fabric, I bought the fabric from Canada. Before starting to work on it, you have to wash it, stretch it and do this over and over again. When the fabric can't be stretch further then you can start drawing the sewing patterns. It took me a month of work, only for the bat-suit. Imagine all the work for the ankle boots and the bat-cowl. Gloves, cape and belt were cheaps and easy to make.

When you do it that way, the Bat-suit won't get loose with time. The bad side, you gain a few pounds and you can't fit in it, so I have to watch my weight and do some exercices every weeks to be able to wear that suit again... like the real Batgirl! :)
joejanus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

The real you cosplaying! We should get you and Batgirl1969 together for a photoshoot. :)
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Once they figured out the Catwoman costume, why wouldn’t they use it 50 times? They did make similar costumes for all 3 Catwoman and molls Moth and Cornelia.
MaryAnn
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

joejanus wrote:
2 years ago
The real you cosplaying! We should get you and Batgirl1969 together for a photoshoot. :)
Years ago, I was cosplaying. Now I'm playing real scenarios with close friends, My husband was the Joker, he went back home and I became a single mother.

My ex-girlfriend move from the other side of the country to help me with my baby. She was my first and only Catwoman (friend cosplayer), we are now both back to imagine and play new scenarios!
MaryAnn
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

sneakly wrote:
2 years ago
Once they figured out the Catwoman costume, why wouldn’t they use it 50 times? They did make similar costumes for all 3 Catwoman and molls Moth and Cornelia.
What I think is they make Catwoman catsuit the way I did my bat-suit: The fabric can't be strectch anymore, if another girl want to wear it, well if she doesn't have the same height, weight, size of shoulders, waist, hips, breasts, butt... the suit won't fit.
JWeathers
Producer
Producer

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
I'm not so sure that "cheap" is quite the right word. The material is fantastic, and it was really cut well. It isn't modern, but I am not sure I would say it is cheap. :)
JWeathers
Producer
Producer

sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
tamonicus wrote:
3 years ago

costume.jpg

I never thought it looked cheap. In a way it her outfit is pretty amazing. If you look at a lot of costumes from then and even into today, they are pretty formless.
Leotards are basically a tube into which you slide a female. Tummies stick out an boobs are squished in.
Materials of the late 60s were not particularly stretchy and giving it that sparkle so you male viewers could appreciate her curves weren’t making the problem easier. Her costume was tailored to fit and accentuate her feminine wiles...
Most of the commercially available Batgirl 69 costumes either become formless tubes or hang on the girls because the don’t fit. Angela Sommers costume was constructed constructed much more like the show than most of the cheap versions.
Yeah, the reason the Angela costume looks great is a) Angela [sort of goes without saying], but also because it is cut correctly. I had the latest one made of stretchier fabric, than the one I used in 2013 for the first "Perils" movie. But the cut is the same - also very important is what is worn underneath. You have to use 60's style bras. The really pointy ones. I went out an bought some just for the movies.

The end effect is that wonderful separated, pointy 60's thing...
Attachments
Babs Batgirl.jpg
Babs Batgirl.jpg (297.32 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

ImageOne of my pet peeves with batgirl costumes is getting the cape drape wrong. In the 69 version, the edge of the cape is turned back (I bet they even held it with some stitching). The yellow gives a bright accent and the cape doesn’t hide the shoulders and the wonderful ‘60s torpedo bra.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

MaryAnn wrote:
2 years ago
joejanus wrote:
2 years ago
Years ago, I was cosplaying. Now I'm playing real scenarios with close friends, My husband was the Joker, he went back home and I became a single mother.

My ex-girlfriend move from the other side of the country to help me with my baby. She was my first and only Catwoman (friend cosplayer), we are now both back to imagine and play new scenarios!
If COVID subsides this con season, you'll be seeing a LOT more of me in scene, especially since travel and cosplay materials costs are no longer the concern they were for me for years, look out world, here comes the Batgirl!!!
MaryAnn
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

sneakly wrote:
2 years ago
ImageOne of my pet peeves with batgirl costumes is getting the cape drape wrong. In the 69 version, the edge of the cape is turned back (I bet they even held it with some stitching). The yellow gives a bright accent and the cape doesn’t hide the shoulders and the wonderful ‘60s torpedo bra.
Oups... she's still wearing her watch! :)
vnv7272
Sargeant
Sargeant

batgirl1969 wrote:
2 years ago
MaryAnn wrote:
2 years ago
joejanus wrote:
2 years ago

If COVID subsides this con season, you'll be seeing a LOT more of me in scene, especially since travel and cosplay materials costs are no longer the concern they were for me for years, look out world, here comes the Batgirl!!!
Awesome! I hope that works out and you have a blast.