Living in the shadow of the corona virus

Where derailed topics go to ....live?
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yeah. Can't subscribe to the conspiracy nonsense. One can take the assumption that 'it's all on purpose!!!!!' all day long and with no evidence till the cows come home but uh......... there's simply nothing PROFITABLE by releasing a global viral death machine. That's science fiction film silliness.

Stop looking for people to blame for an a natural phenomenon, do your part to help us deal with it realistically. Looking for somebody to blame for a natural phenomena is as productive as trying to rescue a drowning man by teleportation him into a steel box with no air holes...

my metaphors need work, but what I mean is, it's LESS THAN pointless to look for someone to assign blame to for a natural phenomena, because when nature is at blame, seeking something else to assign the blame to only muddles things further and makes it more difficult to tackle the problem.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
RedMountain wrote:
3 years ago
The new strain from the UK is now in the US...this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better sadly. Everyone do their best to stay safe and stay home away from other people.
Stay safe but most of us have to work and the govt has to end the shutdowns.

You can social distance and still work.

Many of us are self employed and it is obvious in Mass that most of the govt would see us die on the street than let us earn a living.
Great point dazzle. All the people in this industry are small business owners and most do video shoots and they cannot do shoots because of the lock down. So if the attitude of some is "flip you and your small business" just remember all the producers here are small business owners.
For those of us who live in Mass. The state legislature justified giving themselves a pay raise. The arrogant rep from Cambridge Mike Connolly says they are worth it. For those outside the area. Mass is almost entirely Democratic and they believe that public sector actually is what makes the country great.
Damselbinder

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
RedMountain wrote:
3 years ago
The new strain from the UK is now in the US...this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better sadly. Everyone do their best to stay safe and stay home away from other people.

Many of us are self employed and it is obvious in Mass that most of the govt would see us die on the street than let us earn a living.
Great point dazzle. All the people in this industry are small business owners and most do video shoots and they cannot do shoots because of the lock down. So if the attitude of some is "flip you and your small business" just remember all the producers here are small business owners.
For those of us who live in Mass. The state legislature justified giving themselves a pay raise. The arrogant rep from Cambridge Mike Connolly says they are worth it. For those outside the area. Mass is almost entirely Democratic and they believe that public sector actually is what makes the country great.
Republican or Democrat, I cannot imagine how someone would justify that under the current circumstances. Was it a sneaky thing, like, they attached it to a bill which raised pay for civil servants generally? Or was it straight up "let's just pay ourselves more, lol"?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

The piece of human excrement that is the President of USA has disputed the numbers of Covid dead, calling it fake news
If anything they are likely to be understated.
The man is an appalling human being
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Bert

Ted Cruz is spearheading a Republican movement to challenge the election results this Wednesday. Cruz was acknowledged as the most hated man in the Senate - by BOTH parties - prior to 2016. He finished second to Trump in the 2016 Republican primaries. The thing that people are refusing to focus on is that Republican voters really, truly want appalling human beings as their leaders. 74 million Americans voted for Trump in November as he continued to do nothing to combat the deadly pandemic.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
74 million Americans voted for Trump in November as he continued to do nothing to combat the deadly pandemic.
What is really fascinating for me that more and more republicans are living in some sort of alternate reality. They listen to their partys messages, social media and TV stations and believe that everything else is fake news by evil "communist" media as their twitter troll president makes them believe.
During the US election they presented survey findings on german TV:
From the democratic voters way more than 90% thought at that point that the president handled the pandemic really bad.
Pretty much like 99% outside the US thought.
Among the republican voters around 90% thought that he did a good job handling the pandemic.
WTF???????
An alternate reality where facts doesn't matter anymore.
But that explains perfectly why Trump nearly won the election again.....as normally the result should have been a landslide victory for Biden after 4 years with that "president".
I'm still shocked it was this close.
They vote for their president no matter what he does.
I believe that most of those who voted for Trump would have still voted for him EVEN if he had killed and eaten some babies on LIVE TV days before the election.
In some things he was really, really, really good at: Spreading fear and hate, dividing a country ....and building up images of evil "bogeymen" all around the republican party.
Thank god it's all over in 3 weeks.
Hopefully then Twitter will finally cancel his account.
Guess he will then be screaming at folks in parks, pants down.... with a megaphone...spreading more "facts" from his universe..
At least until he will be transferred to his new home with thick iron bars, where he then has a new twitter account on a computer that isn't connected to the internet.
_
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
RedMountain wrote:
3 years ago

Republican or Democrat, I cannot imagine how someone would justify that under the current circumstances. Was it a sneaky thing, like, they attached it to a bill which raised pay for civil servants generally? Or was it straight up "let's just pay ourselves more, lol"?
They will claim it was in existing bill, but they could have passed a bill eliminating it and putting the money towards those of us hurting. They did it out in the open with no shame
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

I finally got tested today. Because I was in contact with people who were infected, my doctor was able to send an order to a place and I got right in.
Bert

IMSancho wrote:
3 years ago
I finally got tested today. Because I was in contact with people who were infected, my doctor was able to send an order to a place and I got right in.
I'm sorry you've had such a stressful time.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
IMSancho wrote:
3 years ago
I'm sorry you've had such a stressful time.

Thank you. I knew a lot of people are trying to get tests. I had no idea it was that many.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well that's good news at last, when will you have the results?

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

More stringent lockdowns in UK.
Maybe it was a mistake to entrust our pandemic response to a guy who doesn't know how to use a comb.

BUT let's try and stay positive (but not in a test results sense!) amidst all this doom and gloom
IMG-20210105-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20210105-WA0007.jpg (26.69 KiB) Viewed 2828 times

Damselbinder

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
More stringent lockdowns in UK.
Maybe it was a mistake to entrust our pandemic response to a guy who doesn't know how to use a comb.

BUT let's try and stay positive (but not in a test results sense!) amidst all this doom and gloom

IMG-20210105-WA0007.jpg
Truly. Francis Urquhart for PM.

tamonicus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

FWIW, I get a free antibody tests whenever I donate blood platelets, which I do about once a month. I think they test the initial test tube of blood.

The good news is they've all been negative, and the antibody test is said to be more conclusive. The bad news is I usually get them 5-ish days after the donation, so the results aren't timely.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I totally understand if some folks out there are nervous about taking the COVID vaccine, that these vaccines were rushed in production, bypassing many of the regulatory safeguards in order to get it out to the public, so I get the hesitation out there. Having said that, I personally have no issue with getting the vaccine whatsoever, sign me up. The thing that gets me though is that many of us enter into risky behaviors every day, whether it's smoking cigarettes, not wearing a seat belt, driving 15-20 miles over the speed limit, frequenting those all you can eat buffets, and unhealthy diets that contribute to heart disease, most people have something in their lives that contribute to the decrease of their longevity of life that they on some level find acceptable. At least with the COVID vaccine, one is being proactive in trying to combat this deadly infection, so why not take the vaccine and, Oh yeah, maybe also prevent oneself from spreading it onto another unsuspecting person. I know I should try to be more empathetic to those who say they will refuse to take the vaccine, but it just surprises and mystifies me that so many otherwise reasonable and intelligent people who balk at getting this vaccine and contributing to a goal of getting back to normalcy.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Well that's good news at last, when will you have the results?
The next day or 2, I think
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

3775 dead yesterday.

And a fiasco with regards the vaccine rollout with just 28% used, 4.8m
Each death is terrible but how many of those who will pass on in the weeks ahead could have been saved by vaccination now. Just tragic.

Bert

Well, Trump's busy with more important matters. Overturning an election loss is hard work, especially when your team is comprised of idiots. Unsurprisingly, now that the Democrats have won both Georgia Senate seats Trump is bleating that it's even more important that he remain president so that he can veto everything the Dems try to pass. Today should be fun.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Well, Trump's busy with more important matters. Overturning an election loss is hard work, especially when your team is comprised of idiots. Unsurprisingly, now that the Democrats have won both Georgia Senate seats Trump is bleating that it's even more important that he remain president so that he can veto everything the Dems try to pass. Today should be fun.
Trump enabled warp speed which got the vaccines, while the Dems on the local level shutdown business

Anyone who voted for Warnock is no better than anyone who voted for Robert Byrd. The man is a racist islamic terrorist supporter
Damselbinder

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Trump enabled warp speed which got the vaccines, while the Dems on the local level shutdown business

Anyone who voted for Warnock is no better than anyone who voted for Robert Byrd. The man is a racist islamic terrorist supporter
You are aware that Pfizer and Astra/Zeneca's vaccines were developed in Europe, right?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Bert wrote:
3 years ago

You are aware that Pfizer and Astra/Zeneca's vaccines were developed in Europe, right?
You aware Moderna was done here

But seriously the dems did nothing to solve the crisis in order to help to get Joe Biden elected. They should have worked with Trump for the benefit of the U.S but any lives lost are collateral damage as far as they were concerned. Getting trump out of the office is more important than every American who died from China's Covid
Damselbinder

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Bert wrote:
3 years ago

You aware Moderna was done here

But seriously the dems did nothing to solve the crisis in order to help to get Joe Biden elected. They should have worked with Trump for the benefit of the U.S but any lives lost are collateral damage as far as they were concerned. Getting trump out of the office is more important than every American who died from China's Covid
Read: https://pingree.house.gov/coronavirus/c ... avirus.htm

It is amazing how people will flit from "not that many people have died, it's fine" when Trump's being criticized to "OH THE HUMANITY" when congress is.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
I totally understand if some folks out there are nervous about taking the COVID vaccine, that these vaccines were rushed in production, bypassing many of the regulatory safeguards in order to get it out to the public, so I get the hesitation out there.
At least in the USA and UK, AFAIK, absolutely no regulatory safeguards were bypassed. The reason why several vaccines have been produced in such a short time is largely down to one factor: funding.

Firstly, for the past few years there had been sporadic research efforts into analysing these types of Corona-virus, but funding meant the work was done in fits and starts. When the pandemic broke, researchers suddenly found there was an endless supply of funds available to study these viruses -- my inbox was flooded on a nearly daily basis with fresh research calls tied to Covid from across the academic spectrum, including related topics like nursing, mental health, impact on education, etc. etc. (A 'call' is a request by a funding body for academics to submit project ideas around a particular research area, btw.) This enabled a lot of virology labs to re-activate some of their suspended work. So: the effort to create a vaccine did not begin from scratch in 2020, there was a body of half-completed work already done that just needed further funding to take it to completion.

Second, creating double blind trials is, in itself, expensive. It requires collecting together groups of people, representative of the target audience, in statistically significant quantities. And, of course, you need to do multiple runs of each trial -- usually one pilot trial on a small number of people to check for any major safety issues, and then (if successful) at least one full scale trial on thousands of people. And, of course, you have to go through numerous tracking, checks and reporting phases to ensure the trial is being conducted correctly. So there's bottlenecks and delays, because there's only limited resources in research labs and oversight bodies to do this work. Then Covid-19 hit, and suddenly there was ample money and resources available to remove all the delays. None of the steps were skipped, we just didn't have delays of months between each step. (Also, unlike any other vaccine, some of the steps that could be run in parallel, were done in parallel. Critically, governments started to pump speculative money into manufacturing vaccines at volume before their large scale trials had even finished.)

EDIT: Bottom line: the vaccines are about as safe as any other vaccine. Like all vaccines, there's a tiny minority of people who suffer adverse reactions, and they are tracked and studied. The Johnson & Johnson trial was suspended in October, for example, because of one single mystery illness in one participant -- it was subsequently restarted after an investigation. With the mass roll-out, there's been instances of a tiny number of people feeling slightly ill for a few hours after having a vaccine shot, and in Australia (I think it was) there was a case of one guy with extreme allergy problems suffering a serious (potentially life threatening) allergic attack -- he quickly used his EpiPen and was fine. All of these cases are used to help inform how the vaccine is administered to others. (If you suffer from serious allergies, for example, you'll be told to double check you have an EpiPen handy -- even though there's only been one serious reaction reported in the world so far.)

R5
Last edited by five_red 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Exactly one year ago this article was published... so eerie to read it now...

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-m ... of-wuhan-/
Bert

@five_red - Outstanding post!
Damselbinder

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

In response to earlier posts the other thing is that they ran the different testing stages in parallel rather than sequentially as they do usually. Some of the long term effects have not been thoroughly gone into as they would normally but there's no readily obvious reason for there to be serious issues. Even the allergy sufferers who had a reaction to the virus innoculation recovered quickly with simple treatment. You are talking about a 1 in 100,000 chance of an adverse reaction to the vaccine against a 3 in 100 chance of it being fatal if you contract it. Its really a no brainer. Especially when you add in the 10-15% chance of non fatal but long term health issues from Covid.

Sorry five_red should have read your post properly

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Sorry five_red should have read your post properly
I added the bit about the allergic response as an edit after initially posting. Chances are you didn't read it coz it wasn't there, yet. :laugh: I added it because I figured someone might bring it up -- great minds think alike.

By the way, I went to check if there'd been any more reaction reports other than the single one I'd heard about, and found that there's already research reviews conducted and published on the topic. This is what happens when you properly fund research people!! :laugh:

(Btw, I'm never certain if people outside the academic network can see papers like these -- some journals publish openly and some require a subscription to see beyond just the abstract. The 'abstract' is the paragraph summary at the start of any academic paper, in case you didn't recognise the term. If anyone has any trouble, let me know and I'll see if I can pull the full thing for you.)

R5
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Over 1000 dead in UK yesterday (1041)
Grim start to the new year all over

Bert

A quarter million new cases in the U.S. and 4,000 deaths. And Trump inspired hundreds of his idiot base to storm the Capitol Building, leading to Senators and Congresspeople hiding under their desks wearing gas masks. One person was shot and later died, several others also died. And the markets went up. Quite a country.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well many of those gathered without masks in close proximity to each other shouting obscenities yesterday will no doubt be happy that Biden will become President literally over their dead body as in 2 weeks they will have caught Covid and be dead

Damselbinder

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Well many of those gathered without masks in close proximity to each other shouting obscenities yesterday will no doubt be happy that Biden will become President literally over their dead body as in 2 weeks they will have caught Covid and be dead
I hope they don't die. I want them to spend many, healthy years in prison.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Over 1000 dead in UK yesterday (1041)
Grim start to the new year all over
Maybe you should relocate a couple hundred miles north east Tally, that fat sack of cum "running" Westminster is largely ignored in the last bastion of hope left in the British isles and there is some serious discussion about jailing Trump if he flies into Prestwick for another round of golf.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

You mis-spelled 'ruining' there.

Rock God Lemmy from Motorhead (God rest his soul) seems to have been something of a prophet with his lyrics to ' Orgasmatron' (awesome song, BTW)
More prophetic than we knew-

"I twist the truth, I rule the world, my crown is called deceit
I am the emperor of lies, you grovel at my feet
I rob you and I slaughter you, your downfall is my gain
And still you play the sycophant and revel in your pain
And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate
I am the politician and I decide your fate. "

That can apply either side of the pond as we both have examples of the worst kind of human being in charge of us.

UK has started rolling out the Astrazeneca vaccine today which is good as it doesn't need extreme cold storage, just a normal fridge temperature.
That of course will help in third world distribution in impoverished areas.
Like Scotland. :whistle: :giggle: ;)

Damselbinder

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
You mis-spelled 'ruining' there.

Rock God Lemmy from Motorhead (God rest his soul) seems to have been something of a prophet with his lyrics to ' Orgasmatron' (awesome song, BTW)
More prophetic than we knew-

"I twist the truth, I rule the world, my crown is called deceit
I am the emperor of lies, you grovel at my feet
I rob you and I slaughter you, your downfall is my gain
And still you play the sycophant and revel in your pain
And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate
I am the politician and I decide your fate. "

That can apply either side of the pond as we both have examples of the worst kind of human being in charge of us.

UK has started rolling out the Astrazeneca vaccine today which is good as it doesn't need extreme cold storage, just a normal fridge temperature.
That of course will help in third world distribution in impoverished areas.
Like Scotland. :whistle: :giggle: ;)
Says the Welshman.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Hey I'll have you know we got lace up shoes now!

IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

I got the call at 8 a.m. today. Negative.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Do you also support the imprisonment of the Antifa thugs who committed the burnings and attacks all years

All these people demanding those who invaded the capitol be arrested and blame Trump (they should be and he is)

Were silent on the other side and I've yet to see any Dem condemn Antifa or BLM

I want both sides prosecuted.

Do you?
Damselbinder

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Do you also support the imprisonment of the Antifa thugs who committed the burnings and attacks all years

All these people demanding those who invaded the capitol be arrested and blame Trump (they should be and he is)

Do you?
I want people to stop equivocating between largely peaceful protests and a violent insurrection against the democratic institutions of America itself. Antifa barely exists. Stop pretending there's parity between the two sides. It's sickeningly disingenuous. People stormed the capitol building and your response is "yes that was bad, b-but what about Antifa?" Christ.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago

Do you?
I want people to stop equivocating between largely peaceful protests and a violent insurrection against the democratic institutions of America itself. Antifa barely exists. Stop pretending there's parity between the two sides. It's sickeningly disingenuous. People stormed the capitol building and your response is "yes that was bad, b-but what about Antifa?" Christ.
And there lies the problem. Those protest were violent they caused damage and you refuse to ack

Antifa is a threat just like the KKK. Name Andy Ngo means anything to you

You think Trump is a problem, I think the Squad including Ayanna Pressley have incited far more riots

I am sick of a pass by given to BLM, the new KKK
Damselbinder

When they start lynching white people for sleeping with black people, man-who-said-that-Israeli-lives-were-intrinsically-more-valuable-than-Lebanese-ones, then we'll talk.
Damselbinder

Oh and, for the record, the Glorious Leader posted this a few months ago...

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
When they start lynching white people for sleeping with black people, man-who-said-that-Israeli-lives-were-intrinsically-more-valuable-than-Lebanese-ones, then we'll talk.
4 Dallas police officers killed by BLM, how many stores burned. How many time did they block cars from free passage on streets?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Oh and, for the record, the Glorious Leader posted this a few months ago...

That is the point, your side won't call out BLM and Antifa( you won't even admidt it exists)

I want all of yesterday's prosecuted but I also want every BLM and Antifa member who committed violence or blocked a street and refused to let people pass prosecuted
Damselbinder

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
4 Dallas police officers killed by BLM, how many stores burned. How many time did they block cars from free passage on streets?
"Killed by BLM." You mean killed by a black man. Micaiah Xavier Johnson, who had a history of mental health problems, and who was thrown out of the New Black Panther Party for espousing violent rhetoric. That's what you mean. He's a murderer and should be punished for his crimes. What's your point?

Stores burning? Go to prison, sure, that's destruction of people's livelihoods. Blocking cars? Er... certainly... not as bad... but, yeah, maybe a bit brainless?

You're right though. Totally morally equivalent to trying to overthrow a democratic election. One that wasn't even close. Absolutely the same. Anyone who says it's bad is a hypocrite if they don't also append "oh and uh antifa are just as bad."

Someone who is asleep may superficially resemble someone who is dead. That doesn't mean they're the same thing.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
I want all of yesterday's prosecuted but I also want every BLM and Antifa member who committed violence or blocked a street and refused to let people pass prosecuted
Blocking a street is not, by any metric imaginable, comparable to storming the capital building to disrupt the democratic process.

Trump had authorities ready to break up violently a group of authorized protesters so that he could walk a few blocks to hold a bible upside down a few months ago and his excuse was basically that no rioting is acceptable. Meanwhile he's incited and encouraged a literally treasonous act of national sedition on the Capitol building with the INSANE hope that it'd somehow steal him a presidency he didn't win, and proves every day further that he doesn't deserve.

Antifa is a JOKE. People need to get their shit together and recognize this. There is no organized platform of dangerous intent by Antifa. It doesn't exist, they're a loose affiliation of infighting tribes who are neither numerous enough nor have their shit together enough to constitute a meaningful danger to the country to the extent of warranting the attention people like you give to them over greater problems. Trump filed to have ANTIFA bared from entering the united states... well guess what? Antifa didn't shit all over America yesterday. Hard right wing American's shit all over America yesterday while the President, presumably, masturbated himself to the whole thing with a bottle of wine. Hope all the dimwitted fucktards who embarrassed us globally yesterday at least put some lube on their hands before going fellatio on the Orangest man in history.

I am ashamed of my country today.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Please don't start with the politics. Let the cloud of fog settle. NOBODY is the good guy. Nobody. Making comparisons that have meaningless distinctions is not an argument. Plenty of property damage, beaten up people, buildings set on fire to go around.
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Please don't start with the politics. Let the cloud of fog settle. NOBODY is the good guy. Nobody. Making comparisons that have meaningless distinctions is not an argument. Plenty of property damage, beaten up people, buildings set on fire to go around.
I maintain my position, but you're right that this should stop. No more from me.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

or from me

Lets get back to talking about dominating superheroines
Bert

IMSancho wrote:
3 years ago
I got the call at 8 a.m. today. Negative.
That's great news!