Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Your first sentence there is a SHIT method of argument and would have done better not being in your statement here AT ALL.
I was refuting Tallyho's constant criticism of the US and constantly pointing out ONLY US numbers. His country isn't doing all that much better. I did not argue the US was right only that maybe he should take a look in his own backyard.
Dear God man I am pointing out the numbers and how it's going stateside because IT'S A HUMAN ISSUE, this isn't point scoring .
Why only the US? Not sure why you keep doing this. BTW world wide numbers are 800k.

But I'm not going to debate this anymore. If you want to keep focusing on US numbers then so be it.
It's a big undertaking to become the sole statistician for the death toll globally for the purposes of tallying the death tole on a fetish web site... pretty sure he's doing it because this is basically the official 'Corona Virus' topic thread and this is naturally where you'd put that sort of thing.

Just because he's not able or willing to maintain death numbers globally on par with a major news network and doesn't check beyond stateside for purposes of his daily checks doesn't make the numbers meaningless. Nor does pointing out that he isn't notating death toll's in other countries mean death is less terrible stateside.

We can't read your mind Mr. X. If there's some specific factoid you want access to 24/7 and you find yourself disappointed in the ones notated here... seems like you're perfectly capable of doing the number crunching yourself?
Last edited by Femina 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Why only the US? Not sure why you keep doing this. BTW world wide numbers are 800k.

But I'm not going to debate this anymore. If you want to keep focusing on US numbers then so be it.
I keep quoting US figures as you are the economic driver of the West. Until you guys get it under control none of us can go back to anything remotely like normal. As I said 300+ dead in a week in the UK isnt great but when you are coming in at 7-10, 000 a week that's where the issue is.

I would love Trump to play a blinder and get it under control and the death rate down and if he did I would be the first to praise him. But it's one cluster fuck after another and until that changes and he stops worrying about himself and starts caring about the nation its not happening, sadly.

BUT genuinely I have quoted the numbers to try and drive home how disastrous this is and how important it is to follow medical advice rather than putting your faith in injecting disinfectant because an idiot told you so. Above all I am quoting them because it's a human tragedy. I guarantee Indias death rate is worse than the US but under recorded. But its easier for Europe to economically dissociate from India; no way we can do that with the states.

And some good news 33,000 infections yesterday and 446 deaths. Numbers are always down on a Sunday to reporting delays, but its great news that the infections are some 13000 lower than they have been.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago

I keep quoting US figures as you are the economic driver of the West. Until you guys get it under control none of us can go back to anything remotely like normal.
That's an absurd connection.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Is it really? What, you aren't the economic powerhouse of the West? Transatlantic trade isn't important to European economies? Its 20% of UK trade that is with you. You are our biggest single nation trading partner
I thought that might be quite important. If your factories aren't functioning it has an impact globally. The massive job losses would seem to indicate to me they are not so is this normal? In the era of global economies parts are made and shipped from one country to another. The state of your economy has a direct baring on other nations.
I appreciate you have an adversity to facts, but there it is.
Just call it fake news. It doesn't change the reality but you may feel better about ignoring the truth

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

In better news less than 500 deaths yesterday, let's hope that trend continues, infection rates up again to 40,000 though.

Oh and 1 dead in Wales. And 19 new cases.

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

studying Covid since Feb, This virus has new surprises almost daily...around every RNA strand(get it...around every corner) we seem to find new functionality of the virus. Get used to masks. I am having a few custom Batgirl and Batwoman masks made that look like the lower half of their cowls....so i can be a heroine in the streets and in the sheets....wait...I mean the labs!!! oops
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Yes and a first re-infected case in Hong Kong. Hopefully that's going to be extremely rare but worrying none the less

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Yes and a first re-infected case in Hong Kong. Hopefully that's going to be extremely rare but worrying none the less
Would be interested to know how severe re-infects are?
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Did anyone see the priest and 2 dominatrix that were filmed in New Orleans? looked up the adult film star that was one of them and damn...she is one hot tattooed up goth dom....Mindy Dixon...couldn't find any of her work but she totally needs to get into cosplay bdms films!!!
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
Did anyone see the priest and 2 dominatrix that were filmed in New Orleans? looked up the adult film star that was one of them and damn...she is one hot tattooed up goth dom....Mindy Dixon...couldn't find any of her work but she totally needs to get into cosplay bdms films!!!
What's the connection with the covid19 ? :hmmm:
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

helstar wrote:
3 years ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
They weren't wearing masks!!!!
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
helstar wrote:
3 years ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
They weren't wearing masks!!!!
They were arrested for public indecency because they were having sex on the church altar - basically in public. They were spotted by someone outside the church who called the police.

Doesn't really have anything to do with Covid. :-P
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

13th day of record hospital infections. Gonna start to see the daily deaths rise on the back of that. Quarter of a million dead. Just shocking.
:weep:

Gee it didn't disappear on Nov 4th after all.

Please. Wear a mask- if you are prepared to take up arms to protect your family for gods sake wear a mask to protect them from a threat much more likely to harm them.

To all board members and their families who work in the health care services thank you and stay safe. As I've said earlier in the thread until US gets it under control we are all in trouble.
Stay safe everyone, let's hope tomorrow brings no new records.

Bert

Yesterday was America's busiest airline travel day since March with over one million travelers, and the virus is far, far more prevalent around the country now than in the spring. Infections and deaths are spiking just as the holiday season is upon us. By early January the U.S. will probably be averaging over 2,500 deaths per day and hospitals will be overflowing around the country. Medical staff are already overwhelmed and exhausted. This is what a total leadership vacuum in a major country looks like.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Nero fiddled. Trump golfs. That's where we're at!
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Damselbinder

DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Nero fiddled. Trump golfs. That's where we're at!
You know the worst part? Nero didn't fiddle. The man was psychotic, but he was personally running around during the fire trying to organise firefighting crews. It was one of his finest hours as emperor.

...Trump on the other hand...
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I respectfully appreciate the views presented, but wanted to add an alternative view. For what it's worth, Trump golfing or not golfing is not going to do a damn bit of difference. Obama, Bush and previous presidents golf or take a different form of vacation during times when critics can point to a critical issue that has yet to be resolved. It's bad optics, but it's common to all of them. If you want some really bad optics, check out California Governor Newsom's dinner with lobbyists at The French Laundry. Then check out his pathetic attempt at an apology. As I see it, politicians should be regarded with contempt and skepticism.
And what would people have Trump do? He was called out for being xenophobic for suggesting the cessation of travel to and from China, while Pelosi went to Chinatown in SF for Chinese New Year and claimed there was no problem. Trump has many flaws, but the media exacerbated the situation by becoming a shill for the Democratic party and consistently looking to bash Trump regardless of what he does. As an independent voter, my concern is more with the media's dishonesty than Trump, as the former will be around for however long people have a desire to take in news whereas the latter will be gone in two months.

For what it's worth, each citizen has it within their power to take the appropriate precautions, and each state has the power to impose whatever limitations they want. The law of the land in each state for the virus is in the governors' hands, not the president's.
I'm no fan of Trump, but I also want to be objective with the issue. And looking for any politician to provide leadership is a futile exercise. Politicians are not leaders at heart, they are populists looking for election and re-election. There are but a small few examples. I would suggest looking for leaders within local communities.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

Can we all at least agree on the fact that Sidney Powell is completely fucking crazy?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

He hasn't attended a coronavirus task force meeting since May. He didn't allow said task force to deliver any pandemic updates until last week some 4 months since the last one. Whilst other Presidents have played golf, a) they haven't done so when a quarter of a million of their fellow citizens are lying dead and b) no one has played it more times than Trump. What I would have him do is acknowledge he lost a fair election and Co ordinate with Bidens team to concentrate on rolling out a vaccination programme ASAP.
I personally don't see how hitting a ball into a hole has helped save any body but working with the new administration will. You guys had a Pandemic control unit established and he scrapped it in 2017. You had a Pandemic play book for trying to control it in its early stages and he ignored it. In both cases because Obama had set them up. He touts the Ban on China movement that he brought in but it wasn't a ban it was a restriction and tens of thousands of people still came in from China.
He didn't create the virus but sure as hell is responsible for the devastation it's causing you guys. Even if he just reinforced the mask wearing message of his own medical advisors that would be something but just look at how rife the disease has been within the white house including a rumoured 130 security agents who have to be in close proximity to the people they are protecting.
Call me old fashioned but I fail to see how golfing helps anyone.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Shakeshift wrote:
3 years ago
Can we all at least agree on the fact that Sidney Powell is completely fucking crazy?
Hell yeah

sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I’ll respectfully disagree with you Tallyho. Playing golf looks bad, but it’s not like he was going to do anything he didn’t otherwise because he was playing golf. Presidents rely on their cabinet to tell them the best options and they pick one.
And what country has had success with the virus? I don’t see any country doing much better—they have all been hit in waves and no policy has been effective.
But haven’t we seen pharmaceutical companies rolling out a vaccine faster than ever? I may be wrong, but didn’t the administration cut the usual restrictions in order to speed the process on the vaccine? Not that it’s any impressive feat, but in a limited amount of options that’s at least something.
The challenge has been the balance between the effect of the virus and the devastation of people’s livelihood. Not an easy situation for anyone. Trump is just incapable of presenting a coherent speech to explain anything. If he were eloquent as Obama was, perhaps he could have made sense in his plans. (And this is not to defend the guy, I’m just trying to look at it from a few angles. I may be off on my sense of it all, but I tried to take in the information from a few different sources.)
And I respect your opinion Tallyho, I just see it from a different perspective.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

But the problem I have is that he has actively undermined the public health message. Most of the far east countries HAVE controlled the virus - look at New Zealand - like Britain they are an island and so should have an advantage, unlike Britain they have been consistent in their actions. Trump and Pence actively belittled mask wearing. He said to Woodward he lied about the serious nature of the virus to the population. He actively encouraged large groups meeting. Of 18 election rallies that he held 87% caused big case spikes in the towns and cities where they were held - estimates are that they caused 32,000 extra cases. Inevitably that will equate to hundreds dead or with long term health issues.
He didn't hold those rallies for the good of the people he held them for the ego of Trump.

I can give you solid examples of what he could have done and how he could have behaved.
Your opinion seems to be that he wouldn't have made any difference to things anyway so it doesn't matter.
Explain to me please how in a time of great national crisis not attending the Covid task force briefings can possibly be a responsible approach for any leader.

(and be nice to me it's my birthday, ;) :giggle:)

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I can tell you, under no other administration would we have what therapy and soon to be vaccines that we do have or will have this month, 10 years worth of research and development in 8 months...unheard of. Team Trump left everyone else in the dust....even if it is orange cheeto dust, he has done better than any politician could have
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

He's had nothing to do with it. Astrozeneca have a potential vaccine within 9 months of the outbreak and they are British. ALL governments globally abandoned the red tape. He's nothing special. Pfizer were funded by German government

helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

''Team Trump'' (vicepresident Pence) said what you hear in the video below, during election rallies earlier this year...

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
I can tell you, under no other administration would we have what therapy and soon to be vaccines that we do have or will have this month, 10 years worth of research and development in 8 months...unheard of. Team Trump left everyone else in the dust....even if it is orange cheeto dust, he has done better than any politician could have
More than likely this exposes the overwhelming burden of the FDA. $500 mil to get any drug through a years long process which is mostly spurred by corporate protectionism. Merely getting them out of the way made this possible. One has to wonder how many cancer and aids drugs sit waiting for approval or are unable to get through the process due to cost.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Let's not forget this is the imbecile who suggested injecting bleach.
And before anyone says ' he was joking' look at the footage - he was deadly serious, with the emphasis on deadly. 18 idiots gave it a try that weekend.
BUT if, IF you accept it was a 'joke', what kind of a callous monster 'jokes' when 140,000 people are dead and you are at a briefing to try and stop that getting worse ? (death toll at the time)
And after the condemnation he doesn't attend another meeting or briefing. No tine for that when there are golf balls to be hit.

Just stay safe everyone over there and all board members, be sensible, listen to medical advice and if you can do so safely, help your neighbours and the elderly. Now a vaccine or 3 is on the horizon just hold on a few more months.

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
No he didn't.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
No he didn't.
Sorry, Disinfectant - in UK we use disinfectant and bleach pretty much interchangeably. But either way my point stands such injecting will get you dead.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52407177

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Sorry, Disinfectant - in UK we use disinfectant and bleach pretty much interchangeably. But either way my point stands such injecting will get you dead.
A "disinfectant" is not necessarily a cleaning supply. Yeah so he said something stupid.
Bert

The president of the United States, during a live pandemic news conference in front of an audience of millions, suggested that using poisonous disinfectants internally could potentially cure covid-19. Sloughing that off as "Yeah so he said something stupid" is simply refusing to admit the reality of the situation because it clashes with your position.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Sadly a 14th straight day of record hospital admissions for Covid.
The death rate from that will start to kick in soon.
A grim Christmas. Again please listen to medical advice

sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Up front I want to emphasize that I appreciate the polite conversation being had right now. It's refreshing to have differing perspectives without the cliche personal insults for people daring to present differing opinions.

When it comes to the virus, governors have had the control within each of their states to regulate matters as they want. Trump does not have the same power as each state has. The problem is both governors and the president have allowed the virus to be a political issue instead of a health matter.

For what it's worth, the U.S. fatality rate seems like it's certainly not out of the ordinary. Is it this low because of Trump? Is it this high because of Trump? I suppose it depends on how a person wants to criticize or praise Trump.
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

As for the Trump rallies, the criticism is fair so long as there is equal criticism for the lack of masks at many of the anti-police protests and at the Biden celebration rallies. In all those cases, there has been more than ample evidence of a lack of masks and unsafe conditions. As long as those criticizing Trump also criticize Pelosi, then the criticism is fair. But I fear many only criticize the politicians who do not reflect their political views. I would have all politicians criticized fairly for being hypocrites in their reaction to the virus. For example, we have politicians imposing curfews and trying to restrict travel for others while they go to Hawaii for a "conference".
https://www.kcra.com/article/political- ... i/34706995

As a point of discussion on the Trump comment, I thought this article helped to show how the media has had an agenda against Trump and is essentially a shill for Biden (so far):
https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house ... olute-joke

Most mainstream media outlets lean left, and even more lean anti-Trump. I can definitely understand why many dislike Trump, but the media should be held to the same standard as a president. Furthermore, the media is a long-term entity; the president is a maximum eight-year presence. With an honest and unbiased media, the people can have a clear and balanced idea of what is happening and reach accurate conclusions on important issues. When the media becomes a pawn of a single political party, that is a concern.

As for Trump, he might embody the concept of disliking the messenger but liking the message. I believe many who voted for Trump are not the vile people CNN and MSNBC commentators have suggested they are--I imagine many voted for Trump because his stance on certain issues are more in-line with those voters than Biden's stance. (The eradication of student debt on a massive level is one issue I have with Biden, as it benefits those who have college degrees at the cost of those who could not or did not attend college as well as those who paid off their student debt. It also ignores how that tax money could be better spent. I'm all for some relief for students who willingly entered into an agreement to borrow the money, but not at the cost being presented by Biden.) Biden is just another lifetime politician and part of the establishment. He is just the anti-Trump candidate and offers next to nothing as a leader. I hope I'm wrong, but I have yet to see anything inspirational from a guy who has done so little despite a lifetime in government. (Can we please finally have a third and fourth political party in the U.S.?!)

To respond to the Trump bleach/disinfectant issue, the media jumped at the chance to make Trump look bad and took him out of context. Here is the transcript. Anyone who has heard Trump talk over the past four years knows he just rattles stuff off the cuff. He will never be accused of being eloquent or well spoken, but people knew what he meant and the media couldn't help itself in its hatred for Trump to interpret his poorly phrased comments in the worst manner possible.

Here are the comments by Trump:
"A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposedly we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. (To Bryan) And I think you said you’re going to test that, too. Sounds interesting, right?"

"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful."

Later, Trump clarified his comments after a reporter asked Bryan whether disinfectants could actually be injected into COVID-19 patients.

"It wouldn’t be through injections, almost a cleaning and sterilization of an area. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work, but it certainly has a big effect if it’s on a stationary object."

Anyhow, thank you to anyone taking the time to read another anonymous online person's comments. And thank you for the polite political conversation--I enjoy hearing other people's points and discussing them.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
No he didn't.
I added this in my longer post, but here's the context for the disinfectant/bleach issue:

Here are the comments by Trump:
"A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposedly we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. (To Bryan) And I think you said you’re going to test that, too. Sounds interesting, right?"

"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful."

Later, Trump clarified his comments after a reporter asked Bryan whether disinfectants could actually be injected into COVID-19 patients.

"It wouldn’t be through injections, almost a cleaning and sterilization of an area. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work, but it certainly has a big effect if it’s on a stationary object."

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Y'all are looking at this backwards.

This is a culling, and the United States is exploiting it better than almost any other nation.
America is preparing for its next transformation.
Damselbinder

Imagineer wrote:
3 years ago
Y'all are looking at this backwards.

This is a culling, and the United States is exploiting it better than almost any other nation.
America is preparing for its next transformation.
...I beg your pardon?
the123
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

i dont care about this virus all i care about is what am i doing tomorrow and the next day and the day after that.
Damselbinder

Me too. I just don't want any of the things I do tomorrow, or the next day or the day after that to be "dying of a deadly virus" or "infecting someone with a deadly virus."
the123
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

people have died staying home so I am keeping my mind and body active and I will not let this stupid virus scare me into locking myself in my home. :flyaway:
Bert

sugarcoater wrote:
3 years ago

To respond to the Trump bleach/disinfectant issue, the media jumped at the chance to make Trump look bad and took him out of context. Here is the transcript. Anyone who has heard Trump talk over the past four years knows he just rattles stuff off the cuff. He will never be accused of being eloquent or well spoken, but people knew what he meant and the media couldn't help itself in its hatred for Trump to interpret his poorly phrased comments in the worst manner possible.
I'm at a loss as to how the verbatim text of his words exonerates him from the media's accusations. For additional context, Trump had just listened to a presentation on how disinfectants and sunlight killed the virus on external surfaces quite quickly. It's pretty obvious that Trump had not heard this information before, which is shocking on its own. But for him to then excitedly extemporize, on live television with millions of scared Americans listening, that using disinfectants INTERNALLY could cure people, well that's not only titanically stupid, it's also almost criminally irresponsible.

A petty person would also point out that Trump's version of "exterior surface" is "stationary object". Either that or sunlight and bleach don't work if the object in question is in motion. And yes, in this case I'm being petty.
Bert

the123 wrote:
3 years ago
people have died staying home so I am keeping my mind and body active and I will not let this stupid virus scare me into locking myself in my home. :flyaway:
Have 1.4 million of them died from staying home in the last eight months?
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

whew...good thing I am a Dr. I will just have to listen to my own advice!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Like the WHO says, until we are all safe no one is safe.

In the UK they've announced upto 3 different family groups getting together over Christmas which will just undo the 3 weeks of restrictions starting 2nd December. So we are gonna see another rise mid January over here. God help the health workers they are exhausted as it is. And today the Chancellor announced public sector payfreezes. They can find £29m to stage a Brexit Festival to celebrate us slitting our own throats but they can't find £24 m to fund free school meals for children who can't afford to eat, and they can't pay the people helping keep us all alive.

Bert

Oh man, living in British Columbia just keeps looking better and better. My heart goes out to everyone suffering from terrible leadership as well as the pandemic.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
...I beg your pardon?
Sometimes thinking like a supervillain helps make sense of the machinations of powerful men.
Bert wrote:
3 years ago
The state of the social safety net and government response to the pandemic has imperiled many who've stayed home as well as many who've gone to work. The effects will take time to manifest, and the statistical nuances will take time to fathom and will contribute to many debates.
Damselbinder

Imagineer wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
...I beg your pardon?
Sometimes thinking like a supervillain helps make sense of the machinations of powerful men.
Bert wrote:
3 years ago
The state of the social safety net and government response to the pandemic has imperiled many who've stayed home as well as many who've gone to work. The effects will take time to manifest, and the statistical nuances will take time to fathom and will contribute to many debates.
1) You made it sound like you were in favour of large numbers of people dying. I'm... assuming that's not the case. Neither do I think people are being deliberately allowed to die through anything other than incompetence.

2) "The effects will take time to manifest... the statistical nuances will take time to fathom and will contribute to many debates." That is insanely mealy-mouthed. I think it is pretty clear at this point that households isolating from each other slows the spread of the virus. How could it not?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

17th straight day of record hospital admissions.
Brace yourselves for big rises in the death toll next week.
Wear masks and stay safe

Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
1) You made it sound like you were in favour of large numbers of people dying. I'm... assuming that's not the case. Neither do I think people are being deliberately allowed to die through anything other than incompetence.
To the extent selfishness and malignant narcissism can be viewed at as incompetence, I agree, but only to that extent.
2) "The effects will take time to manifest... the statistical nuances will take time to fathom and will contribute to many debates." That is insanely mealy-mouthed. I think it is pretty clear at this point that households isolating from each other slows the spread of the virus. How could it not?
Slow your roll. It's quite clear that isolation slows the spread. But how well are we protecting people when they can't isolate? And how equitably are we managing the economic damage? People will be killed and maimed by preventable exposure. Damage will be greater for those who can't afford good healthcare (or work interruption), for those who lose income, who go hungry, who lose their homes, who can't escape crushing debt. Attempts to measure or even qualify the magnitude of these effects will be met with healthy skepticism, and then will be swamped in propaganda.
Damselbinder

Imagineer wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
To the extent selfishness and malignant narcissism can be viewed at as incompetence, I agree, but only to that extent.
Slow your roll. It's quite clear that isolation slows the spread. But how well are we protecting people when they can't isolate? And how equitably are we managing the economic damage? People will be killed and maimed by preventable exposure. Damage will be greater for those who can't afford good healthcare (or work interruption), for those who lose income, who go hungry, who lose their homes, who can't escape crushing debt. Attempts to measure or even qualify the magnitude of these effects will be met with healthy skepticism, and then will be swamped in propaganda.
Hang on

If all you're saying is "if the government half-arses support and assistance to people who have to isolate, it will lead to disaster" then...

...I agree.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Imagineer wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
I agree with you. It's not just a question of protecting people from the potential health effects from this deadly virus, that people are also hurting economically, having a hard time paying rent, their mortgages, and putting food on the table for their families. I think those aspects are also a piece of this puzzle that also must be accounted for when we discuss combatting this pandemic and doing what is in the best interests for all of our communities. Stay safe and healthy everyone.