Chick Fight

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Bert

Um, did anyone know this was in the works? It looks freaking awesome!

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Oh, that looks rrrrreally interesting! A good comedy + good fight scenes with chicks?
Count me in!
If the movie is half as good as the trailer...it will be worth watching.

Will be released on November 13 in the US:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10944486
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

That looks like Alec Baldwin's best work since "Glengerry Glen Ross."
Bert

Coffee is for closers!
Damselbinder

This looks shockingly derivative. The premise is obtuse, the rivalry is cartoonish, and not a single joke landed. It's the cinematic equivalent of toothache.
Bert

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
This looks shockingly derivative. The premise is obtuse, the rivalry is cartoonish, and not a single joke landed. It's the cinematic equivalent of toothache.
An attractive, well known actress has made a movie about a female fight club. It appears to have beautifully shot fight sequences, humor and a somewhat light tone. If this film is of no interest to you, what are you even doing here? Shockingly derivative, obtuse, cartoonish, unfunny and like a toothache? A movie where Malin Ackerman competes in a fight club? Just get over yourself.
Damselbinder

Hey, a movie can have a enticing premise and still be profoundly asinine. And are we really gonna pull the "if you don't have anything nice to say" lever here? Half this forum is people complaining about stuff.
Bert

Now it's also profoundly asinine? Let me guess, your favorite movie is The Bicycle Thief, you think Jane Austin should have written greeting cards instead of novels and other than a few moments of the original Twilight Zone, television isn't worth your extremely valuable time.
the123
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

d
Last edited by the123 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Damselbinder

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Now it's also profoundly asinine? Let me guess, your favorite movie is The Bicycle Thief, you think Jane Austin should have written greeting cards instead of novels and other than a few moments of the original Twilight Zone, television isn't worth your extremely valuable time.
My favourite movie is Conan the Barbarian, Jane Austen was rad, and I fucking love television. I just think THIS sucks.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

People's opinions are valid here but just keep them about the genre subject and not about each other please - people are allowed to dislike something and disagree with a viewpoint politely.

No one has overstepped the mark this is just a note to try and ensure that no one does.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

:tv: :cool:
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Bert

Conan the Barbarian? Thanks for sharing. Your dislike of the Chick Fight trailer no longer bothers me.
shevek
Producer
Producer

At last...we see the full story behind how Silk Spectre acquired her superb fighting skills!

I guess after the success of G.L.O.W. proved that it was possible to balance spandex and fourth-wave feminism (not an easy feat, but I can tell you exactly how they did it, if anyone wants to know)....and female wrestling has grown in popularity among progressive types....the catfight was finally let out of the bag.

This should be a hoot, and Alec Baldwin as her Mister Miyagi / Mickey Goldmill is an inspired casting choice.

Looking forward to it, unless I hear otherwise. Now I'm wondering two things: 1) Why hasn't Bella Thorne been cast in a superhero franchise yet? (not to worry..she has plenty of time, she's only 23) and 2) Is it worth watching the "Her & Him" adult movie which Thorne directed last year? (easy enough to find out)
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Seems like a big "meh". Given the current track record of closed down theaters and COVID this will probably just go to netflix. I wouldn't sit in a theater for that. As for the lead actress... a karen is a karen.

I think there is a trend by male feminists and such that seem to be steering women into their fetishes but gift wrapping it as "showing women being empowered" or "Strong willed women" or "girls get it done". Why does a woman have to act like a guy to be a good woman. Would rather see a The Pursuit of Happyness movie of a woman succeeding in a business. I believe Jennifer Lawrence did one. This really reeks of male feminist fetish gift wrapped as female empowerment. "ooh chics fighting... but we'll show them being strong. Girls get it done. Bygones."
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
......Why does a woman have to act like a guy to be a good woman.....
That says it all.
You define these action as "male", and thereby show off your...old school.....role type cliche thinking.
In your world the tough guy is there to always save the utterly helpless, but good looking damsel in distress.
Yes, there are women as well who can fight. Why not a female fight club?
And you don't need to be a feminist to wanna see "empowered" women. Because there is no (good) alternative to it.
You just need to be human with an open mind.
Women are still not treated equal in many aspects, but luckily change is underway.

P.S.:
I know I maybe shouldn't have said that in a place like this...but well, it's my opinion.

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Damselbinder

Mr X what you describe already exists. It was called "Girl Boss."
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago

That says it all.
You define these action as "male", and thereby show off your...old school.....role type cliche thinking.
No I show off my understanding of millions of years of evolution. Gender is not a social construct.

Tell you what. When a trans person says they are a woman in a man's body, define "woman" for me without using any of these so called "old school" cliches or stereotypes. If these roles are social constructs then trans people are wrong and only wanting to be a social construct? There is no inherent male or female behavior?

Also what you call "old school" has been successful for hundreds of thousands of years as we went form hominids to human. What you have today is a 20 year lab experiment that hasn't proven to work over multiple generations.

So yes I'll stay with science and evolution. Women HAVE characteristics that are biologically inherent.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
So yes I'll stay with science and evolution. Women HAVE characteristics that are biologically inherent.
Yeah, totally right.
But a female fight club like in this case, very much like female MMA fighters, female soccer players, female soldiers, female police officers, female astronauts isn't against science or nature.
It's breaking down old oppressive role models that needs to be crushed.
And they are getting crushed, year by year.
Still a long way to go.

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

You're conflating two different things.

And what makes you think old roles need to be crushed? IS force used? By all means stop that. Otherwise if males and females enter into an agreement where they divide work then its none of your business. You make an unfounded assumption past behavior is some social construct when in fact a good deal stems from inherent human behavior and that past behavior is bad or oppressive or some other nonsensical demonizing label.

As for the items you list, being an astronaut is not a male job. neither is soccer player. You're all over the map here and avoiding the point I made. Nothing wrong with classic female behavior.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Being an astronaut is not a male job. neither is soccer player. You're all over the map here and avoiding the point I made. Nothing wrong with classic female behavior.
Being a skilled powerful fighter isn't a male job, either. Lucy Lawless proved that, along with many others who had actual martial arts experience like Cynthia Rothrock. Neither is being a superhero, otherwise we wouldn't have a whole forum dedicated to the very idea that being a female superhero is sexy. I'm not trying to defend the movie - it could still be a dumpster fire - but it has some good possibilities given the actresses involved so let's see what they come up with.
Damselbinder

I vote dumpster fire
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
It's breaking down old oppressive role models that needs to be crushed.
And they are getting crushed, year by year.
Still a long way to go.
This RIGHT HERE is why I will never trust any SJW opinion. THIS is the real motivation.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

:thumbup:
Malin
Other Hot Chicks
Cage Fights

:thumbsdown:
dialog
meh jokes
plot

In summary: Think I'll like the fights, and not really care for the rest of movie. But who knows.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Bert

Let's say you're a fan of chess. You play often, you follow the professional circuit, you are a member of several chess blogs and you bemoan the fact that very few movies ever put any focus on this passion of yours. And then one day a movie starring some well known people is announced, and it's focused on chess. Do you:

A: Show some excitement about a mainstream movie that is appealing, at least partly, to your exact interest?

B. Crap all over the movie because the trailer doesn't completely meet your incredibly exacting artistic standards?

C. Disparage the movie because you are incapable of seeing any work of art without superimposing your own regressive sexual politics onto it?

Note: If you answered B or C, you may want to reconsider based on the scarcity of relevant material.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Trailers can be bad at showing what you want to decide if it's worth it. Some have material that didn't make the film's released cut. They usually show what they think will get an audience.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
I had already typed a long reply to your ...... posts, but instead of wasting my energy on discussing such topics with you...let me just say:

That's all I have to say.

Damselbinder

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Let's say you're a fan of chess. You play often, you follow the professional circuit, you are a member of several chess blogs and you bemoan the fact that very few movies ever put any focus on this passion of yours. And then one day a movie starring some well known people is announced, and it's focused on chess. Do you:

A: Show some excitement about a mainstream movie that is appealing, at least partly, to your exact interest?

B. Crap all over the movie because the trailer doesn't completely meet your incredibly exacting artistic standards?

C. Disparage the movie because you are incapable of seeing any work of art without superimposing your own regressive sexual politics onto it?

Note: If you answered B or C, you may want to reconsider based on the scarcity of relevant material.
I beg your pardon, but this is the superheroine forum. Not the "girl-fight" forum. You may notice that this movie was put in "other categories - general movies and tv". Even if it were the girl fight forum I think "I'd rather have nothing than something lame" is a perfectly legitimate viewpoint.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
I had already typed a long reply to your ...... posts, but instead of wasting my energy on discussing such topics with you...let me just say:

There is nothing different between SJWs and the church lady other than what you're peddling. Social engineering is wrong regardless of how you think its so important. We spent decades telling one group of xtian conservatives to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS and low and behold a new group of busy bodies step up AND BECOME THE SAME BUSY BODIES and worse it was the same group who told the xtian group to go away.

But your statement clearly shows what I have known all the way back to when I was a leftist activist. These changes to shows and comics and movies are NOT for story or for new ideas, they are for social engineering and all to tear something else down. Thanks for clarifying this with your statement. Now we ONCE MORE have to tell a group of busy bodies to GO FIND A HOBBY SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

There is nothing different between SJWs and the church lady other than what you're peddling. Social engineering is wrong regardless of how you think its so important. We spent decades telling one group of xtian conservatives to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS and low and behold a new group of busy bodies step up AND BECOME THE SAME BUSY BODIES and worse it was the same group who told the xtian group to go away.

But your statement clearly shows what I have known all the way back to when I was a leftist activist. These changes to shows and comics and movies are NOT for story or for new ideas, they are for social engineering and all to tear something else down. Thanks for clarifying this with your statement. Now we ONCE MORE have to tell a group of busy bodies to GO FIND A HOBBY SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Though I'm tempted to dive in, I'm going to say this while I still have no skin in the game

Please don't turn this thread into another political flamewar
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ok I will end this. Thanks for the advice Damselbinder.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
But your statement clearly shows what I have known all the way back to when I was a leftist activist. These changes to shows and comics and movies are NOT for story or for new ideas, they are for social engineering and all to tear something else down.
When (if) ''The Power'' tv-serie will be released, I can already see your brain exploding like in Scanners (or lately, The Boys :giggle: )
Bert

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago

You may notice that this movie was put in "other categories - general movies and tv".
I did notice that...when I put it there.
Damselbinder

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago

You may notice that this movie was put in "other categories - general movies and tv".
I did notice that...when I put it there.
Then your line of argument makes even less sense.
Bert

It's all good Db. I've come to terms with your taste. Few films indeed could ever rise to the level of brushing the dirt off the sandals of Conan the Barbarian.
Damselbinder

I don't know about other films.

But this one certainly won't.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Seems like a big "meh". Given the current track record of closed down theaters and COVID this will probably just go to netflix. I wouldn't sit in a theater for that. As for the lead actress... a karen is a karen.

I think there is a trend by male feminists and such that seem to be steering women into their fetishes but gift wrapping it as "showing women being empowered" or "Strong willed women" or "girls get it done". Why does a woman have to act like a guy to be a good woman. Would rather see a The Pursuit of Happyness movie of a woman succeeding in a business. I believe Jennifer Lawrence did one. This really reeks of male feminist fetish gift wrapped as female empowerment. "ooh chics fighting... but we'll show them being strong. Girls get it done. Bygones."
I don't disagree that this movie looks pretty lackluster or agenda driven... but I have a hard time hearing the ol' 'let girls be submissive girls!' argument as some kind of legit thing in retaliation to the voices crying 'let girls be men' or 'let girls fight' or any such variation on the argument. You're still a man, you have about the same stake in this particular game as the type of men you're ranting about. By virtue of your penis, your gender has traditionally mattered where (by virtue of my lack of a penis) my gender has traditionally NOT MATTERED. So rant and rave about how these kinds of crap movies have a clear agenda, you know what? I agree, this movie looks kind of crap........... but I'll take a thousand crap movies that carry the agenda that I MATTER AT ALL which I can happily ignore and not watch at my leasure... over thousands of years of stated evolution where I DON'T MATTER except to be passed around by the dudes for breeding stock.

At the end of the day BOTH ENDS of this argument stem from the position of what YOU want women to be... and since your specific end of the argument stems from the end of the spectrum where I traditionally matter less, it places me and mine in an inevitable alliance with the type of men you are ranting against EVEN IF their ideology is JUST AS ASSUMPTIVE... at least their assumptive ideology means that I get to matter some. So I agree, let girls be girly, let girls be sexy, let girls be tough...... let girls be any damn thing they want and quit complaining about it either way.

That's all I have to say on the matter.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
3 years ago
At the end of the day BOTH ENDS of this argument stem from the position of what YOU want women to be...
I never said what women SHOULD be. I said stop funneling women into one stereotype and stop demonizing characteristics that are not bad characteristics. If these characteristics are so bad then why pressure men to be sensitive and compassionate and caring and be less manly if they are bad characteristics. Making women act like women is an attack on women.

This whole "social roles are oppressive" argument is garbage and sadly, as someone else pointed out in another thread, is the core motivation for WRECKING current media and entertainment. Its not about better stories or characters, its about thinking everyone is broken and needs to be fixed. This is why I will never trust SJWs on their claims since their real motivation is always deconstructionism. We old liberals had to deal with this same meddling with the xtian church ladies and now ONCE AGAIN we have to deal with a new crop of busy body church ladies. Maybe the real oppressive role that needs to be removed are the co-alphas, the self proclaimed social police.

And BTW there is PLENTY of pressure on men by women to act certain ways. Toxic masculinity (which is not a thing BTW). Telling us men what kind of women we're supposed to like. Swapping one woman type in our fantasy material for another then shaming us for not like it. Treating us like a public utility women think they have a say in. Constantly meddling in our affairs.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Femina wrote:
3 years ago
At the end of the day BOTH ENDS of this argument stem from the position of what YOU want women to be...
I never said what women SHOULD be. I said stop funneling women into one stereotype and stop demonizing characteristics that are not bad characteristics. If these characteristics are so bad then why pressure men to be sensitive and compassionate and caring and be less manly if they are bad characteristics. Making women act like women is an attack on women.
No you said what you believe. That women are biologically evolved to be a certain way, one which benefits you... and anyone who says woman should or can be any other way is wrong wrong wrong, should shut up forever and let things go back to how it 'should' be. Don't take much to read between the lines... and It's real tough for us women to be the villain pressuring men to be sensitive and compassionate and caring and less 'manly' when you've got it all covered preassuring them NOT to be... but that's a digression on my part, I'm NOT a man afterall.
This whole "social roles are oppressive" argument is garbage and sadly, as someone else pointed out in another thread, is the core motivation for WRECKING current media and entertainment. Its not about better stories or characters, its about thinking everyone is broken and needs to be fixed. This is why I will never trust SJWs on their claims since their real motivation is always deconstructionism. We old liberals had to deal with this same meddling with the xtian church ladies and now ONCE AGAIN we have to deal with a new crop of busy body church ladies. Maybe the real oppressive role that needs to be removed are the co-alphas, the self proclaimed social police.
Again, I'll take a dozen crap films I never watch EMPOWERING me amid the occasional good films over NONE. Movies are entertainment, they hardly matter. If you don't like one, you're free to skip it, to call it's storytelling shit. I'm not arguing against anybodies right to do that. I'm only objecting to your whining that bad movies about girl power are in some way HARMFUL to women whom should be delicate little flowers for window dressing or some other such nonsense.
And BTW there is PLENTY of pressure on men by women to act certain ways. Toxic masculinity (which is not a thing BTW). Telling us men what kind of women we're supposed to like. Swapping one woman type in our fantasy material for another then shaming us for not like it. Treating us like a public utility women think they have a say in. Constantly meddling in our affairs.
Alright, so what's your argument here then? Women pressure men to act a certain way... therefore it's okay for you to pressure women to be a certain way while ALSO to complain about other men pressuring women to be a certain way that you don't want them to be? I'm perplexed Mr. X. Is your goal to protect men from women? To protect women from men? Or is it just to protect your view of men and women from everyone else?
Last edited by Femina 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

OK everybody let's not ascribe traits toe each other beliefs when we are all thousands of miles away and the written word can have a tone depending on the readers mood that the writer just doesn't intend when setting finger tip yo keyboard.
So let's leave the discussion there shall we please.
We will end it on a positive note of every body is right and I'm fabulous.

Getting back to the film - it kinda has the Ghost busters remake written all over it for me. Hope I'm wrong and it's hilarious but just doesn't grab me as is.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
the123
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

d
Last edited by the123 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Damselbinder

the123 wrote:
3 years ago
i love the female ghostbusters it is a shame they did not make another one was looking forward to that.
Well. I can see why you'd be looking forward to this, then.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Women pressure men to act a certain way... therefore it's okay for you to pressure women to be a certain way
STRAWMAN - I NEVER argued that. What is the point of a discussion with you when you argue things I never said. I argued OTHERS were pressuring women to act manly and OTHERS were demonizing other female traits.

PLEASE READ WHAT I WROTE.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Women pressure men to act a certain way... therefore it's okay for you to pressure women to be a certain way
STRAWMAN - I NEVER argued that. What is the point of a discussion with you when you argue things I never said. I argued OTHERS were pressuring women to act manly and OTHERS were demonizing other female traits.

PLEASE READ WHAT I WROTE.
That's NOT a Strawman, it wasn't even an ARGUMENT. I asked what your argument was, then presented the three most likely arguments you seemed to be presenting as questions, because you were making conflicting statements and I wanted clarification.

So as you've now presented your clarification. Which DOES appear to basically boil down to be 'protecting women from men' (While simultaneously expressing your somewhat ironic want for women to stay out of your manly affairs) I will simply direct you then back to my very first post on this topic which pretty much addresses this, wherein I express my annoyance that you feel the need to white knight yourself for the poor frail vulnerable woman in place of the white knighting for the strong kickass woman. It's the same thing. You're the SAME.
Last edited by Femina 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Let's drop it guys

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ok I'll drop it. I don't know what Femina is arguing about.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Fair 'nough Tallyho. Though I don't disparage Mr. X make a reply so's not to just seem like a 'last word and dash' sort of gal... I promise not to press the conversation further.

As for my opinion on the movie... I've got a different take. We know the movie can't succeed... because no movie can succeed right now. Movies are as unprofitable as they have EVER BEEN thanks to this damn virus. I'm a bit concerned how a lot of mediums are going to be coming out of all this. I only wonder if when it fails people will blame the movie... or the current state of the medium... and wonder whether either will even be the real cause...

If I wind up WRONG than color me pleased though, cause it'd at least mean movies can be profitable again and maybe theater isn't dead.
EvilDaria
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

For the record, I agree with Mask Ripper (and I have had the cuts and bruises to prove it). We can do whatever the guys do, we just have to do it better not for ego but for results.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

EvilDaria wrote:
3 years ago
For the record, I agree with Mask Ripper (and I have had the cuts and bruises to prove it). We can do whatever the guys do, we just have to do it better not for ego but for results.
I'm bloody useless so doing what I do is a zero achievement, aim higher ladies, aim higher!
Don't strive for equality, why the hell would you want to drag yourselves down to our level? :giggle:

Thanks to all for letting this go.
Ignore my wits and japeries.
We had already seen massive film style budgets and big name stars in TV series given we will be looking at at least 1-2 years of disruption over this before there is an antidote (and it may be we never get a cure) it will be interesting to see where cinema ends up. I suspect we will see the continued rise of the series over film as a weapon of choice for companies, writers, actors and networks

ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Looks almost as funny as reading this thread.