Star Trek Strange New Worlds

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

They have announced a third ST series featuring Captain Pike, Number One and Spock

I think Discovery and Picard have been a disaster.

Can they get this right?

Problem 1 - Spock is Leonard Nimoy, the actor from CBS streaming and Zachary Quinto from the movie reboot failed miserably,

Problem 2 - Will they follow the ST Time Line envisioned by Roddenbury.
Voyage and Enterprise both had problems when they deviated from the Roddenbury created universe.
For those who remember TOS,well known science fiction writers were not allowed to go off the rules Gene set.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Are they bring back the minidresses?

What made the original series successful was the “western set in space” premise. They had underlying themes about social justice, race, etc, but there was so little on TV that dealt with race at the time, you could have an attractive black female officer and that was ground breaking for its time. It didn’t change the cowboys in space premise of the show.

The later series began to become too self aware of the role of the impact on society. The farther you wander from cowboys in space, the more the shows tank. The central theme of Picard was civil rights. It tried too hard to sell an agenda.

Kirk treated in away typical for that era, woman in every port, frequently objectified. At the same time women were given some roles that were more than mothers and arm candy. It was ancillary to the story. A good story first, social justice should not be a giant wooden mallet to bludgeon us with.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
Are they bring back the minidresses?

What made the original series successful was the “western set in space” premise. They had underlying themes about social justice, race, etc, but there was so little on TV that dealt with race at the time, you could have an attractive black female officer and that was ground breaking for its time. It didn’t change the cowboys in space premise of the show.

The later series began to become too self aware of the role of the impact on society. The farther you wander from cowboys in space, the more the shows tank. The central theme of Picard was civil rights. It tried too hard to sell an agenda.

Kirk treated in away typical for that era, woman in every port, frequently objectified. At the same time women were given some roles that were more than mothers and arm candy. It was ancillary to the story. A good story first, social justice should not be a giant wooden mallet to bludgeon us with.
I do think you are selling it short. ST was the thinking person show.

The difference was they did issues in a thoughtful way as opposed to hitting you over the head and (I will not apologize for this term )the Woke bashing of the patriarchy
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

The first series tried to pitch a female First Officer but the network wouldnt wear it and the Science officer became the No.1.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I realize that when they put these Star Trek series on their streaming service instead of the CBS network itself, they are essentially doing the series a favor in that these shows are free of the ratings pressures that these shows would undoubtedly get, it's just that I have my cable, my Netflix, and my Internet, and there are so many damn streaming services out there you can't afford to get them all, that you have to make hard choices, and then you question yourself and ask, if I watch one thing on the service, is it worth it to shell out the money for the platform. I realize the days when you could make money on doing an hour long syndication series are gone as well, that train has left the station. I just hope one day that the powers that be decide to put something truly ambitious and first rate on the air, a Star Trek series for CBS that can deliver satisfactory ratings in order to have a sustained long run. Dare to dream I guess.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I hope they land on a planet of sex starved double gender aliens so everyone gets fucked up! NOT just the Trekkie babes
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
The first series tried to pitch a female First Officer but the network wouldnt wear it and the Science officer became the No.1.
The story goes they wanted to get rid of the female first officer and the alien

Gene could only keep one. so he kept Spock and married her
Last edited by Dazzle1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
I realize that when they put these Star Trek series on their streaming service instead of the CBS network itself, they are essentially doing the series a favor in that these shows are free of the ratings pressures that these shows would undoubtedly get, it's just that I have my cable, my Netflix, and my Internet, and there are so many damn streaming services out there you can't afford to get them all, that you have to make hard choices, and then you question yourself and ask, if I watch one thing on the service, is it worth it to shell out the money for the platform. I realize the days when you could make money on doing an hour long syndication series are gone as well, that train has left the station. I just hope one day that the powers that be decide to put something truly ambitious and first rate on the air, a Star Trek series for CBS that can deliver satisfactory ratings in order to have a sustained long run. Dare to dream I guess.
True and a complaint I have as well

I will stick with amazon because it is part of my Prime package.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
I hope they land on a planet of sex starved double gender aliens so everyone gets fucked up! NOT just the Trekkie babes
Planet Futinari six-nine, in the Dildoga system. In Japanese, with subtitles.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Sounds mad now that this would have been so controversial, but back then they were even cautious about having a Russian in the crew.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Sounds mad now that this would have been so controversial, but back then they were even cautious about having a Russian in the crew.
I don't think people had a problem adding the Checkov character. In fact Roddenbury admidts it was a mistake for him to overlook adding one.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Dogfish wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
I don't think people had a problem adding the Checkov character. In fact Roddenbury admidts it was a mistake for him to overlook adding one.
I had heard from several sources Chekhov was an issue but with the cold War at it's height it felt more important than ever to show global inclusion in the future, hence Sulu and Uhuru (and Scotty!)
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Dogfish wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
I had heard from several sources Chekhov was an issue but with the cold War at it's height it felt more important than ever to show global inclusion in the future, hence Sulu and Uhuru (and Scotty!)
I am just quoting Gene in a book about the Original series