Supergirl Season Five

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Pretty sad this season is sooo lame that there is no GOOD reason for discussions!
BTW, how many habitable sister planets did Krypton have? First Daxam, and then the one the Leviathan baddies are from? Also, I have not seen any real clue what purpose these five baddies have. Their former leader, Rama Khan, had been leading their group for 2 million years, but why Earth? Two million years ago, the most advanced form of life on the planet was the dolphins, or some branch of the apes. Definitely before Cro Magnon or neanderthal roamed the planet! Are they supposed to be the progenitors of humanity? trying to recreate their home world? If so, they've been slacking hard, and slow-walking the advancement of Terran society. Definitely not trying to make a space-faring species like they are!
I think some writer saw that the comic book DCU was using a baddie group named Leviathan and decided to come up with their shitty version!

I still think my Mordru/White Witch idea would have been more viable, actually use a facet of LSH history, and use Dreamer in a better fashion-ie, she's the cause of the creation of new baddie, and the release of an uber-baddie!
Bert

From Supergirl.tv"

"Many of you might know through various interviews that Nicole Maines has done recently, that much of the season 5 finale for Supergirl had been filmed. However, not all the shots were finished. The production team pivoted, and found a way to use the footage they had to make the finale. What wasn't clear was would that change the number of episodes we get. Today, The CW released a new return date for Supergirl which is now May 3rd. The finale is still confirmed for May 17th."

I have to say, it amuses me to no end that Supergirl's producers will piece together a finale from an unfinished shoot. The show is so bad that I seriously doubt anyone would even notice. Hell, it might even improve things!
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Wow, an interesting challenge, making something like that. I mean, I have fun making something out of nothing, but I get to put new dialogue and meaning to the shots. These guys don't get that luxury!
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mel ... 20858.html

Finally Lex is the hero!

Because of production problems with the coronavirus, the final episode got changed because they didn't finish filming the original script. So apparently Lex survives because they didn't get around to his death scene. Maybe they should rename the next season, Lex Luthor, and have his name cover over Supergirl's like in the Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
4 years ago
...rename the next season, Lex Luthor, and have his name cover over Supergirl's like in the Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes.
Heh, now THAT would be cool!! Now come on Lex, wheel out Mother for a Supergirl face-off, I need the screenshots!!
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Visitor wrote:
4 years ago
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mel ... 20858.html

Finally Lex is the hero!

Because of production problems with the coronavirus, the final episode got changed because they didn't finish filming the original script. So apparently Lex survives because they didn't get around to his death scene. Maybe they should rename the next season, Lex Luthor, and have his name cover over Supergirl's like in the Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes.
I love that idea! Is there any way we can get you into the writers room? Your idea is not as out there as it seems. Look at all of the anti-heroes we have seen lead television series the last twenty years, from Tony Soprano to Walter White to Red Reddington on the Blacklist, there are plenty of examples of these type of characters fronting television shows. The key question it seems is there anyone in that creatively challenged writers room that is capable of that outside the box thinking and willing to subvert the original premise of the series. I think that idea would be awesome! More Jon Cryer please!
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Honestly, I expect the episode to start with bad karaoke(Melissa can sing, and likes to sing, but the rest of the cast?!), then go to bad comic book storytelling. Remember, pre-Supergirl Melissa had minimal contact with comic books, with most of her know-how from this series, so she's getting a shitty example!
If they wanted a "celebrity" director for a couple eps, why not Zachary Levi? He has shown his comic book chops with his making Shazam a GOOD movie, and shown his directing chops behind the camera for a batch of episodes of Chuck. OK, it's not a true superhero show, but could be considered superhero lite? I just feel he gets the comic book genre, and would do a good job.
I'm glad the season has been shortened. This season from hell can end sooner. Here's hoping next season is better with new mother Melissa maybe sporting better duds than this dud of an outfit? More perils again? Lena stops being wah wah about Kara protecting her by not telling her her secret ID? Remember, Lena asked where Jimmy got a bunch of his cars, and he told her Lex tortured him, trying to get Superman's secret ID out of him! She should've known the perils of knowing a super's secret ID!

I just wish the SJW's would leave our show alone, and let it be about a girl from another planet, trying to help her adopted world the best she can.

My 2 cents.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Episode 17 - "Deus Lex Machina"

Lex does it his way and this makes this the season's best episode. Starting with the present as Lex is a hero for saving people we get flashbacks to the day after Crisis and moving forward as Lex plots and manipulated everyone to do his will. Some scenes from past episodes now make sense as they show they were all part of his master plan to pit his enemies against each other.

Now if they could shove Supergirl and her friends off to one side and make this the Lex Luthor show.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Definitely agree with you about how good the episode was, Visitor. That said, I want our girl in blue (and red) back at the forefront in the remaining episodes and big time in Season 6. They owe us!!

You know when the writers put out a show like they did last night, it makes one angry that they don't try harder in this series. They seem to do it better for almost every other CW show but SG gets the short end of the stick, so to speak. Black Lightning is wonderfully written with compelling sub-characters that don't have you complaining that he's not on-screen as BL enough. It's more balanced. Anyway, that's my rant for today. I guess I'll just be happy that they did an excellent job for a change. The directing by Melissa seemed fine to me, btw.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The episode was ok in my opinion.
It was a bit confusing in parts, but in the end it all made sense somehow.
It was not so good having Supergirl sitting on the "bench" for most of the episode. (even the background is totally understandable)
Of course I wanna see more of her as it is her show after all. Especially I like action and peril scenes with her as well as secret identity struggles.
But when the actual CW season will be finished in two weeks....I will start to rewatch Supergirl seasons 1-4 and revel in the times when the show was in its prime. :hmmm:
Remember? SG had a really sexy costume and the show had more interesting storylines! :yes:
Ok, sometimes I guess the costume hid some of the weaker stories. ;)
Last edited by Maskripper 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
shevek
Producer
Producer

An episode where Jon Cryer (as Lex) masterfully pulls all the strings was indeed an inspired idea from the Supergirl crew, lifting the show out of its doldrums. He alone has the charisma to pull it off.

Very nice to see they briefly brought M'gann back too, although I don't see why she was necessary, or how she got there so quickly from Mars.

For my money, the best moment was the revelation of Gamemnae's "technology goddess" form where she fully used her electrokinetic powers (as in the comics). I hope we get to see her do that again in a climactic battle scene at some point.

The only thing I don't understand is that although we saw some of their "agents", we don't see any other of the leaders of Leviathan - with Rama Khan and Margot out of the picture, is Gamemnae the only one left, or are all the others just hiding out in their secret headquarters? (there are supposed to be several more Ancients in the inner circle, according to the comics)
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

No Supergirl season 7 in the fall or in january.......

https://dctv.news/cw-schedule-changes-t ... -crossover

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
No Supergirl season 7 in the fall or in january.......

https://dctv.news/cw-schedule-changes-t ... -crossover
Season 6 debut is delayed a few months due to Mel's pregnancy.
Bert

Supergirl - a series review.

Season 1: Absolutely remarkable. While the writing was weak right from the beginning, the show's debut got so many things right. Great actress, great Supergirl costume, and most importantly - great action. I was shocked and delighted with their willingness to shoot real, engaging fight scenes and put Supergirl into actual perilous situations. For a superhero show to work there has to be real drama in the fight scenes. The outcome must not be obvious. Season one passed that test with flying colors. Many memorable battles, some of which Supergirl lost. Real drama. The second half of the season showed the first wave in what would become a tsunami of pacifying changes, when shorts started appearing under Supergirl's skirt during action shots. A slight bummer, but liveable.

Season 2: Fairly similar to season one, but lower budgets led to less impressive and fewer fight scenes. Many of the fights were still really good though. The writing stayed bad, but the stories began veering more often into the team aspect by focusing on supporting characters. That was wave number two, less focus on Supergirl.

Season 3: The transition year. Kriesburg was fired part way through the year after accusations of sexual harassment. The problems from season two became more pronounced and the show began veering badly off course in the second half of the season.

Season 4: It started badly with Melissa mostly absent due to her Broadway show, and it went precipitously downhill from there. New showrunners, new attitude. Supergirl went full soap opera, full "woke" sensibility and full reverse on good action. Massively disappointing.

Season 5: New suit, new hair, doubling down on the new direction of season 4. The show becomes unwatchably awful. Terrible action shots. Virtually every episode I manage to sit through or fast forward through contains one shot of Melissa's stuntwoman flying through the air in slow motion during a "fight" scene. That's it for action. The writing somehow manages to get even worse. Nothing makes sense. Things happen purely for one time plot needs. Possibly the worst written modern television program on the air. 0.0 percent sexiness. Useless.

Season 6?: Who cares.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Season 6 has only one thing to redeem itself, Lex Luthor. Because of production shut down, the death of Lex never got filmed and they rewrote the episode so he lives. Maybe they will give him a bigger role now that he is the hero, at least in the public's view. At least there is no news that he's heading to the Superman show.

Otherwise I have to pretty much agree with your assessment. Considering how many great villains they took from Superman comics to prop up the series, the bad writing destroyed the show time and again. This became the CW's superhero soap opera. All they were missing were a bunch of teen agers and their angst about growing up with powers.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

@Bert:
I will rewatch season 1-4 in the next weeks/months and will then try to write a similar review of each season.
Right now I don't remember the older seasons good enough to do that.
I generally agree that it got worse, for me especially with this season. Still I mostly enjoyed the seasons 1-4.
I don't agree that she ever wore shorts under the skirt....at least from what I remember. I think that it is just her top that covers her pantyhose like a bathing suit would do.
Because they are not "allowed" to produce upskirt shots where you could see the crotch of the pantyhose and her slip underneath that.

brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Agree 100% with Bert's review. I actually found it unwatchable from Season 4.

And shorts here, btw:

Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

^ Hmh, don't remember that scene. Especially that it was showing that much.
I guess they changed that rather quickly then.

Bert

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
I don't agree that she ever wore shorts under the skirt....at least from what I remember. I think that it is just her top that covers her pantyhose like a bathing suit would do.
Because they are not "allowed" to produce upskirt shots where you could see the crotch of the pantyhose and her slip underneath that.
Oh, they very much were allowed to include upskirt shots in the first half of season 1. There's a thread in the forum dedicated to them. But part way through the season, scenes that revealed anything started showing shorts under the skirt. Frankly I'm surprised there was as much upskirt action as we did get.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon about Rama Khan because in the penultimate season 5 episode which just aired ("The Missing Link") Rama Khan is back, unleashed by Gamemnae to cause havoc and subdue the "Supers".

I say "Supers" because for the first time, this term is consistently used throughout the episode to refer to Supergirl's "Maximum Diversity Super-Team". This show has become exactly like every other show on the CW where the main character is subsumed into
a team of heroes and in many instances doesn't even get the majority of the screen time.

Also, I can't disagree much with Bert's pessimistic, but realistic, assessment of the gradual decline of the quality of the writing and plots in the show. The last really decent story arc was the Reign sequence. And yes, the only thing making this show still worth watching is John Cryer in it. Look at this way, though - it took Supergirl five seasons to plummet to the quality level which Batwoman started with *straight out of the gate*. :) So at least there's that.

That being said, there is a bit of peril in this episode when Rama Khan buries Supergirl in his earth constructs, and when she is
debilitated by the Kryptonite. Probably not enough, though, to get any decent still shots or gifs, though I encourage folks to try.

The only other thing that was pleasing about this episode was the finally blossoming romance between J'onn and M'gann. I don't think this has ever happened in the comics because their apparent age difference is so great, but in this show she has not really been portrayed as Miss Martian like in Young Justice. I hope it makes the viewer wonder how the Martians get it on - maybe they mind-meld Vulcan-style.
Bert

I nominate the season 5 Supergirl finale as the worst hour of television ever released to the public. WTF was that?
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
I nominate the season 5 Supergirl finale as the worst hour of television ever released to the public. WTF was that?
I don't know if it was the worst even out of the other Supergirl episodes, but it would definitely make the 10 worst list if I could face remembering them. Could have had better action sequences than throwing stunt people around jumping over containers and into walls with weak CGI effects. Even the Luthor scenes weren't up to past bits and the Lillian Luthor part makes no sense in handing off a weapon to someone that hates Lex so much.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

As much as I have enjoyed the Supergirl series since it's inception and have taken joy out of countless scenes of SG in peril, there's simply no denying that this Fifth Season was the worst one yet. I collect all the seasons on DVD when they come out, eagerly buying them when they're issued. This season's DVD will probably be purchased for merely the sake of having a complete set. It may never be unwrapped (and not in order to keep it's value up!)

I was chatting with a friend online who doesn't watch the show and it occurred to me that there hasn't been one regular heterosexual couple pictured during this season. I'm not anti-gay by any stretch of the imagination but I do think it wouldn't be wrong to show at least one couple of the opposite sex getting along and helping each other...besides Martians!!!

I understand they had to patch up the finale due to Covid and honestly it worked well enough in my book but Covid can't explain away the wide variety of problems in this season. They have at least half a year to get their writers room improved so we have a theme that's worthy of the main character...and we have a main character back who's worthy of not being a bit player. They need to feature Supergirl in the lead with an issue critical to her. I'm all for strong ensemble shows and this cast has the talent to be great. They won't be unless the writing gets fixed. Here's hoping things get back on track in spring 2021.

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think Dreamer and Supergirl should be paired up and a new Brainiac, the really cool all robotic non-Johnny Depp wanna be version...with some special attraction to SG!!!!
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The closest this season came to a heterosexual couple was William trying to date Kara Danvers. Of course her secret identity worries kept them apart.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
The closest this season came to a heterosexual couple was William trying to date Kara Danvers. Of course her secret identity worries kept them apart.
Yeah, that went nowhere. Nor should it have, imho. Clearly they want to show Kara has horrible taste in men. I suppose that's one way to make a super character seem more relatable. But do they have to hit that same tune now for six years running? That is yet one more aspect that needs to change for next season. And it could be an interesting way to bring SG back to the center of the show. Give her a real love interest and then put him in jeopardy. That's an arc that I think people would like. And it shouldn't be Lex who puts her male interest in jeopardy. Should be a new villain. Just some brainstorming thoughts.

Bert

The current show runners have established their direction for Supergirl. Wokeness to the nth degree, zero tolerance for sexiness, acute avoidance of action and soap opera plotting of the worst sort. Better writers can't do much to improve the stories they tell given those imperatives, except perhaps for better soap opera drama.

The worst aspect of how terrible the show is now is that it started out so great. There is no doubt in my mind that the direction the show has taken in the last two years is a purposeful rejection of what it was in the beginning. I don't know what caused the rejection, but I'm convinced it is very deliberate. It might have been an about face from Kreisburg's vision, it might have been an awareness of our genre desires, it might have been Lynda Carter poisoning the cast with her opinions on not being exploited, it might simply be the new showrunner's bid to stake out the wokeness front. Whatever the reason, Supergirl is dead to me. Why watch a show that infuriates you, both for what it is now and for what it could still be?
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
Yeah, that went nowhere. Nor should it have, imho. Clearly they want to show Kara has horrible taste in men. I suppose that's one way to make a super character seem more relatable. But do they have to hit that same tune now for six years running? That is yet one more aspect that needs to change for next season. And it could be an interesting way to bring SG back to the center of the show. Give her a real love interest and then put him in jeopardy. That's an arc that I think people would like. And it shouldn't be Lex who puts her male interest in jeopardy. Should be a new villain. Just some brainstorming thoughts.
I would love to see her paired up with an anti hero of sorts, not someone who is a villain but not someone who is a squeaky clean pushover either, but someone who is not out to take over the world or conquer civilizations, but a type of non lethal dangerous bad boy without a care in the world who maybe stumbles onto her secret and shows no desire for blackmail or personal gain but revels in the fact that he knows Kara's secret unsettles and distresses her to no end. Kara/SG needs someone who is not going to look at her with puppy dog eyes and utter devotion, not someone who deifies her very existence, but someone who will keep her on her toes, to challenge her, someone who is freewheeling, unpredictable, and volatile at times. Perhaps her interest in him could be her desire to keep tabs on him and to try to possibly to reform this bad boy and sparks ensue.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
I would love to see her paired up with an anti hero of sorts, not someone who is a villain but not someone who is a squeaky clean pushover either, but someone who is not out to take over the world or conquer civilizations, but a type of non lethal dangerous bad boy without a care in the world who maybe stumbles onto her secret and shows no desire for blackmail or personal gain but revels in the fact that he knows Kara's secret unsettles and distresses her to no end. Kara/SG needs someone who is not going to look at her with puppy dog eyes and utter devotion, not someone who deifies her very existence, but someone who will keep her on her toes, to challenge her, someone who is freewheeling, unpredictable, and volatile at times. Perhaps her interest in him could be her desire to keep tabs on him and to try to possibly to reform this bad boy and sparks ensue.
Seems to me that the bad boy character that you have described was the Mon-El character when he first showed up in the pod on Earth. He treated Kara more than poorly at first and only after about six shows or so did they start showing a romantic interest in each other. And a modicum of respect. After quite a while.

I don't need to see a replay of that kind of relationship. Someone strong to keep Kara on her toes, sure, that's fine. Maybe even a superhero who doesn't always play by the rules and is almost too busy with his own schedule to pay Kara much attention. I'm not sure. Certainly should be someone who matches her on a powers level if only for the sexual compatibility needed for this male hero to survive a night with her. But at the heart of this guy, he should respect her and be good for her ultimately. Does that go against the code of good drama? Perhaps but then they barely keep to the code of good drama as it is, so how bad could it be to give a character like that a shot.

Oh, one more thing. The writers don't have to shove this guy down our throat by his second episode. Half a season to build a friendship wouldn't be untoward. Maybe Kara has the same kind of pleasure sharing the heroic limelight with him as she did when her cousin showed up. Or maybe the guy is a bit of a publicity hound but not in an evil way. That's my brainstorming session for the night. What do you people think? Does that sound like a decent character arc?

bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
Seems to me that the bad boy character that you have described was the Mon-El character when he first showed up in the pod on Earth. He treated Kara more than poorly at first and only after about six shows or so did they start showing a romantic interest in each other. And a modicum of respect. After quite a while.

I don't need to see a replay of that kind of relationship. Someone strong to keep Kara on her toes, sure, that's fine. Maybe even a superhero who doesn't always play by the rules and is almost too busy with his own schedule to pay Kara much attention. I'm not sure. Certainly should be someone who matches her on a powers level if only for the sexual compatibility needed for this male hero to survive a night with her. But at the heart of this guy, he should respect her and be good for her ultimately. Does that go against the code of good drama? Perhaps but then they barely keep to the code of good drama as it is, so how bad could it be to give a character like that a shot.

Oh, one more thing. The writers don't have to shove this guy down our throat by his second episode. Half a season to build a friendship wouldn't be untoward. Maybe Kara has the same kind of pleasure sharing the heroic limelight with him as she did when her cousin showed up. Or maybe the guy is a bit of a publicity hound but not in an evil way. That's my brainstorming session for the night. What do you people think? Does that sound like a decent character arc?
I am sorry to be so crass, but Mon-El was a pussy. He was introduced as a bad boy jerk, but by his third episode he was mooning over her, just like James Olsen and that mooning just killed the character for me. Kara doesn't need to fill that empty seat for game night with another milquetoast boring character like Mon-El or some other goody two shoes type, she needs someone who will turn her life upside down, someone with an edge, a larger than life character that won't turn into a puddle of mush every time he sees Kara and goes down on bended knee to worship her. I want it to be a guy that stirs up shit in her, rocks her world. The character of the mooning Mon-El was just another mediocre character played by a mediocre actor. Kara does not need a Prince Charming, she needs a young, dangerous, and cool Johnny Depp type character that rides a motorcycle, flouts traditional conventions, is sometimes ill mannered, but somehow has a magnetic personality that draws people in. Mon-El was a bad boy for a whole two seconds before they cut his cajones, but I want the real deal.
Bert

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
Mon-El was a bad boy for a whole two seconds before they cut his cajones, but I want the real deal.
Okay, okay. I wouldn't have pegged you as the type that hankered for bad boys, but different strokes for different folks!

Pretend gay shaming someone on a thread about the ultra-woke Supergirl show just appealed to me somehow!
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Visitor wrote:
3 years ago

I am sorry to be so crass, but Mon-El was a pussy. He was introduced as a bad boy jerk, but by his third episode he was mooning over her, just like James Olsen and that mooning just killed the character for me. Kara doesn't need to fill that empty seat for game night with another milquetoast boring character like Mon-El or some other goody two shoes type, she needs someone who will turn her life upside down, someone with an edge, a larger than life character that won't turn into a puddle of mush every time he sees Kara and goes down on bended knee to worship her. I want it to be a guy that stirs up shit in her, rocks her world. The character of the mooning Mon-El was just another mediocre character played by a mediocre actor. Kara does not need a Prince Charming, she needs a young, dangerous, and cool Johnny Depp type character that rides a motorcycle, flouts traditional conventions, is sometimes ill mannered, but somehow has a magnetic personality that draws people in. Mon-El was a bad boy for a whole two seconds before they cut his cajones, but I want the real deal.
MAYBE she needs a BAD GIRL love interest instead!! A hot motorcycle riding leather wearing take control hardcore hardhitting Brunette lesbian...think Strap-ons are too much for CW??
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Don't get me wrong...this season does offer quite some aspects to get mad about....
But when I read through this topic, I get the impression that this is some kind of "who rants the most and the loudest" competition (for some members at least)
What is the prize to win in this competition? :hmmm:

bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The prize is the knowledge that one has got one's frustrations with the numerous flaws in the series off their chest and offering one's two cents on some crazy ideas that might improve the series. I hope that was "quiet" enough for you.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Bob, see my PM.

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

@ Bob:
Yeah, totally fine with that....to a certain degree.
But I think it gets more and more "one-sided" with some folks.... only mention negative aspects ...and this over and over again.
Rant, repeat, rant, repeat.
Like: ...this is shit...I hate that.....I hate this....the worst....shit....garbage....shit....unwatchable...etc.
A LOT of negative energy.

clyde11
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

"MAYBE she needs a BAD GIRL love interest instead!! A hot motorcycle riding leather wearing take control hardcore hardhitting Brunette lesbian...think Strap-ons are too much for CW??"

I think Supergirl and Alex should pair up. I mean...they're not real sisters. (Not that it would ruin anything for me if they were.)
Then they wouldn't need to keep bringing in some character actor every season to for Alex to get all neurotic about and then
take like five episodes to sort her shit out.

Actually...I think Supergirl, Alex and Lena should have a love triangle. They've each either fucked James or his sister.

What would really be cool would be Lena using mind control on Supergirl and Alex, forcing them to go down on each other
while Lena watches and masturbates, then jumps in on the action herself.
Maybe even a threesome in the supply closet at Catco.

Some producer out there needs to make this happen.
Bert

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
@ Bob:
But I think it gets more and more "one-sided" with some folks.... only mention negative aspects ...and this over and over again.
Like: ...this is shit...I hate that.....I hate this....the worst....shit....garbage....shit....unwatchable...etc.
My apologies. I'll stop.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
@ Bob:
I can understand where you are coming from. I guess some of that is the nature of social media, that the people who are the most motivated to post things are the ones with gripes, laments, and complaints, that people that are content with the series do not feel as motivated to post happy, satisfied praise of the series. I think the thing that frustrates many of us is that the series is sort of like that gifted young child whom everybody knows has enormous potential, is smart, brilliant, and could be wildly successful if he just applied himself to his studies and hit the books, but instead has become a lazy malcontent seemingly happy with just being mediocre just getting by student. All of that wasted potential. I will never give up on hoping that Supergirl series will live up to that iconic name, and the expectations that come with that moniker. The frustrating thing is also that we have seen some inspired writing, particularly with the Lex Luthor character where you go "wow, that was rather clever, funny, or cool, and then you go back to Kara and her friends and the series falls flat again. Wildly uneven. I am sorry if you are tired of all of the negativity on here in regards to the quality of the series but I do think it is a byproduct of a feeling that it is capable of being so much more than a middling series. I rather call out a mediocre series on it's flaws rather than stay silent or pretend this mediocre series is better than it actually is. End of rant.
clyde11
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

"I can understand where you are coming from. I guess some of that is the nature of social media"

It's also the nature of social media to get offended and butt hurt when other people don't like the same movies
and TV shows that you do and then those people have the gall to express those opinions on the same thread that
you express what you like about said movies and shows.
Imagine how awesome free speech would be if the people who disagree with us didn't use it.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

clyde11 wrote:
3 years ago
"I can understand where you are coming from. I guess some of that is the nature of social media"

It's also the nature of social media to get offended and butt hurt when other people don't like the same movies
and TV shows that you do and then those people have the gall to express those opinions on the same thread that
you express what you like about said movies and shows.
Imagine how awesome free speech would be if the people who disagree with us didn't use it.
Wow, your sarcastic comment doesn't catches my point at all.
I mentioned several times that I'm not very happy with season 5 either.
And yeah, free speech is a good thing. Of course!
I'm just not ok with a topic turning into a rant festival, where many folks only post to rant about the show to a point where it get's tiresome and hateful.
And I'm pretty sure that there are folks here that only comment on things to rant about. And that is what I'm not ok with.
Let's say someone posts 20 comments (random number) on different topics and (nearly) all of them are negative.
Then it's not "expressing opinions on something" anymore....then it's trolling and hating.
And that's the worst part of "social" media.
We can do better.
We have to.

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yes it does seem to be a pile on. A lot of channels get clicks by bashing these shows though some of the rants against them are good for a chuckle.

I liken what we see today where agenda items are pushed in shows to the stuff I watched in the past when Hollywood was more conservative and everything had a God message in it or a Man is man and Woman is woman message or some other such traditionalist propaganda.

My theory is the people who were the church lady in the past measuring skirts for proper height are today's SJWs. They are a distinct group of co-alphas that society always has had. The cause or political party does not matter. All that matters is the power position to police and bully society.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Well, time for my 2 cents.
This season has been a slow slog, but it's over?
We have seen a costume make-over that has drawn the ire of many a fan, including myself. Still think they should have gone to a figure skater outfitter, and get a sweet little number that still would keep Melissa warm.
We have seen them try to shove a new Kara "romance" down our throats with William. Ugh. This guy admitted he didn't deserve his Pulitzer Prize as it was pretty much dropped in his lap, so Kara shouldn't go goo-goo eyed over his "accomplishments". Does having a square jawline and a British accent make a girl's knees go weak?
Kara's role in "Crisis" was pretty negligible beyond getting beaten up by the Batman of another Earth, and getting saved by Batwoman.
The previous two episodes before the season finale were ok, with the penultimate episode promising serious green K perils as Rama Khan made off with a batch of green K INGOTS! I did enjoy the Kara/Lena make up scene. Still wish Kara had brought up how Lex tortured Jimmy to get Superman's secret ID(Lena HAD asked about those scars when they were in bed together!), or that she had to get Alex's memories of her secret ID erased to protect her sister. Would have been pretty convincing arguments.
Now the finale.
Spoiler
I don't know if the writers were trying to say Lex is slow-rolling the "kill the supers"plot, but honestly, if I wanted to murder Supergirl, and had Rama Khan at my disposal, I would've told Rama Kara's home address, verified she was home(simple with his drones)and have Rama transport ingots of green K to Kara's apartment, then arrive to watch Kara wilt and die! Instead, we got props that made me feel they're from Space: 1999! You have ingots of the mineral that can kill your foe, and go instead go with pew pews?! Yes, I went bad ST:TNG memes on us! Also, I had to double check to see what the black guy's powers were. The action was so muddled I needed a replay to figure out he was a fire guy. Also, not too empowering for females when the only uber-baddie needing a prop for her powers was the female. Also, while watching the fight between the "super"team and the three baddies made me say "Am I watching Arrow?!" A big fight and our main heroine isn't in the mix? Ugh. Also, shooting green K blasts at non-kryptonians? These baddies do have super-powers, right?
Brainiac 5 wasn't smart enough to shut off the non-Leviathan rad field?
When Andrea showed up to murder Kara with the green K dagger, there was no reaction from Kara with the presence of green K around her? I figure she would be sickened by it being so close to her.
Lex honestly expected Brainy to trap several Leviathan baddies in a bottle? Won't use the Wayne's World quote for that! Involves monkeys, btw.
And the end. Lillian Luthor had been a decent human being since the Crisis reboot, and now she's gone evil Cadmus Lillian on us?! And then how the fuck can a 21st century human comprehend how to operate a Coluan bottle? That technology is centuries if not millennia ahead of our science, and don't expect Brainy to include an operator's manual for it! Also don't expect it to be found in any interstellar internet. Lex and Lillian may be HUMAN geniuses, but there are limits to Terran knowledge!
I will admit that they finally gave a piece of Supergirl cheesecake when she gets her anti-kryptonite armor. Uploaded a still at: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aiq_RsXFNT0c1zt1QZ8 ... -?e=WNpsDv

Sorry, don't really know how to upload pics here. If anyone wants to download, and upload more properly, feel free!

OK. My 2 cents are done, for now. Let's pray we can get better writers for next season, and a better costume!
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Going back to the post Crisis episode where Lex explains to Lillian what happened and all she cares about was Lex struck a deal with the Monitor to save Lena and not her. So much for "nice" Lillian and why would Lex hand her a weapon to someone that tried to poison him pre-Crisis and now has a grudge. Only if it is completely useless and it's just to keep her busy.
Bert

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
And I'm pretty sure that there are folks here that only comment on things to rant about. And that is what I'm not ok with.
Let's say someone posts 20 comments (random number) on different topics and (nearly) all of them are negative.
Then it's not "expressing opinions on something" anymore....then it's trolling and hating.
And that's the worst part of "social" media.
We can do better.
We have to.
I'm peeking in again to offer a modest self defense. I was a vocal and enthusiastic supporter of Supergirl in the early days of the show. My recent posts have been motivated by the deep disappointment in how far the show has fallen. I've quoted one of my early forum posts on Supergirl below.

"When evaluating the pilot, I think it's helpful to keep in mind the many ways this could have gone wrong. I have to say, Berlanti made a lot of great choices here and it pays off. Melissa is, and I don't say this lightly, perfect in the role of Kara/Supergirl. This girl can act. Plus, she is really effective in the fight scenes. Some Hollywood actresses won't play vulnerable in fight scenes. Not the case here. When Supergirl is on the receiving end (which she is - a lot!) she really sells it and you believe she's in peril. I really admire the producers for not shying away from putting Supergirl in harm's way. It would have been easy to tone down the violence and peril because the hero is female, but they have committed to making the fight scenes hard hitting. A big plus is that they have real money, so we get cool wire work and big effects to enhance the fights, something our niche producers can never compete with.

I love the suit. Again, they could have wimped out here, but they went with a pleasing modern take on the traditional Supergirl suit, including the skirt. They don't go to extreme lengths to avoid upskirt moments, so you do get to see considerable Supergirl leg!

The plot mcguffin that provides a steady stream of powered opponents for Supergirl is maybe a little convenient, but so what. We will see her seriously challenged week after week this way, and I approve of that.

All in all, the pilot is even better than I'd hoped for after seeing the trailers. Now the only things to worry about are whether they will stick with the hard hitting style of action, and whether the show can build a big enough audience to stick around for a while. I truly hope so."

Okay, now I'm back under my rock.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Danorian wrote:
3 years ago

Sorry, don't really know how to upload pics here. If anyone wants to download, and upload more properly, feel free!
Here it is...
Hot Kara Shot.jpg
Hot Kara Shot.jpg (77.31 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Further proof I have a devious mind(must be those 40 some odd years of reading comics!)
When the Leviathan trio is fighting Kara and crew, what if Rama Khan crushed a green K ingot to dust, the air chick surrounded Kara with green K dust, and the fire guy fired them to encase Kara in a green K glaze?
Yup, I'm evil, but why would wanna-be gods use their powers smartly? It's not like the writers didn't have them going with a "god" motif, or show off some of their abilities.
Pretty sad when a fanboy can be more diabolical than "professional" writers!

My 2 cents for today.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

@Bert:
Re-watched the episodes 1-6 of season 1 over the last 3 days, a weird but very satisfying experience. Especially after watching season 5 over the last months.
After I haven't seen these episodes for the last 5 years....it was a good reminder to see how goody the show once was.
Not only with Supergirl ,her stunning outfit, her way better haircut and also Kara was wearing rather short skirts for most of the time (and often heels). And as you mentioned the fight and peril scenes were very good back then.
-
Back to this season:
I was very curious to see Alex in her vigilante outfit and mask. A hood and some face paint? Where that leftovers from the early days of the Arrow show? That is no mask in my opinion.
But I do have the hope that that was only a quick problem solution as they ran out of time to shoot scenes. Hopefully the will design a proper mask for her, even she might only get an eye mask like Dreamer.
The finale was ok for me, as it was a makeshift finale.
We might have to wait a full year for season 6 now. I will keep watching. I will keep hoping for some improvements.
A new season is always a good opportunity for a new suit for example..... :hmmm:
And get Alex a black leather suit and a proper mask ;)

Bert

Appreciated.