Stargirl in 2020

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dc- ... 39097.html

Stargirl is coming to join the CW DC universe of shows.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

Visitor wrote:
4 years ago
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dc- ... 39097.html

Stargirl is coming to join the CW DC universe of shows.

Amy Smart as the mom of a high school sophomore? Damn, that makes me feel old.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Was originally supposed to be on DC Universe but we're all glad it's free now :)

Brec Bassinger looks fantastic. With Geoff Johns, expect maximum action, superpowers and teenage hi-jinks.

Here's the first trailer:

MetaDude2
Sargeant
Sargeant

She looks fantastic!
————————————————————————
Part time story writer. :thumbup:
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Here's hoping Geoff Johns and his production company has the most influence on this show, so it can stand out some as different than the Berlanti sameness.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Hoping she doesn't decide to switch to baggy pants after 2 seasons. 😁
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I LOVE her costume!!! she looks amazing!!!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

how the hell does the 'community theatre CW' keep pumping out these great adaptaions and the entertainment giant of Warner Bros, with big name X,Y,Z constantly stutters and stumbles and crashes the family gas guzzler?

it's crazy (but in a good and redeeming of the Dc universe way)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Fair play, she certainly looks the part.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Love her costume and the trailer looks great. Looking forward to this new series. Glad it will be on CW.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

lionbadger wrote:
4 years ago
how the hell does the 'community theatre CW' keep pumping out these great adaptaions and the entertainment giant of Warner Bros, with big name X,Y,Z constantly stutters and stumbles and crashes the family gas guzzler?

it's crazy (but in a good and redeeming of the Dc universe way)
The same reason that Adam West was a better Batman than Ben Affleck, because if you have since affection for the material then you can do a lot more with it than a team of studio executives trying to constantly rewrite an idea to appeal to a focus group.
shevek
Producer
Producer

The Part 5 finale of Crisis on Infinite Earths shows a brief shot of some of the Earth 2 lineup of heroes in the upcoming Stargirl show, including Doctor Midnite and Hourman. Apparently in addition to Stargirl there will be two other superheroines: a Korean actress playing Tigress, and a Latina actress (the one who played Stallone's daughter in the recent Rambo movie) playing Yolanda Montez, the female Wildcat. So they've got diversity covered. The Yolanda/Wildcat costume looks tight - hopefully the Tigress one will be, as well. If so, we'll have a lot to look forward to on this show!
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

Can’t wait
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Such a great costume and character!!
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I particularly like the "girl next door" aspect to her, even when she is StarGirl, I am looking forward to knowing this character better!
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Maskripper wrote:
4 years ago
She will debut on May 12th:
https://stargirl.tv/stargirl-to-debute- ... -on-the-cw
May 12th! Wonderful. I was beginning to wonder if it was going to air. Glad to read this and looking forward to the show airing. Thanks for the information.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

If you were waiting for this show to debut, you're going to have to wait a little longer.

https://www.newsarama.com/49600-dc-cw-s ... poned.html
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Noooooooo!!!!
ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

:love: :love: :love:
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Loved the trailer. So looking forward to this new series.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

If I get only 10% as excited over this show.....as I am with the Batwoman TV show.... this will be huuuuuge!
So far I'm still a ...little... skeptical.
The Stargirl mask is merely ok, the Wildcat mask is a little more promising.
The masked women here are teenagers (or look like teenagers).
And I ...normally... don't watch stuff with kids in the main role(s). No "Strangers things"....no Harry Potter.
But of course I will watch this show and hope it will deliver.
Masked woman in the lead role = Must see

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Someone really likes it...

the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

God that woman's annoying.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
She looks like she drinks bleach.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
She looks like she drinks bleach.
As do you! :joker:

This looks way more fun than Supergirl and Batwoman...

Looking forward to it. :cap:
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Sorry

I see a small girl carry too large a staff and Star Girl has never been a team leader.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Sorry

I see a small girl carry too large a staff and Star Girl has never been a team leader.
Clearly staff not too large as she uses it well. Works for her.

'never been a team leader' is irrelevant to a series that Stargirl is the star of.

But, sure, don't watch the series when it starts cause it's not for you. Easy solution. :thumbup:
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Sorry

Clearly staff not too large as she uses it well. Works for her.

'never been a team leader' is irrelevant to a series that Stargirl is the star of.

But, sure, don't watch the series when it starts cause it's not for you. Easy solution. :thumbup:
Tue it's not for me

But no she handles as well as the actor Jakob Kell did a sword on Highlander, poorly
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

But no she handles as well as the actor Jakob Kell did a sword on Highlander, poorly
The only thing that's 'poorly' is your poor ability to put words together.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

People are allowed their opinions and allowed to express them, as long as they are politely done.
Please don't start making it personal just because they think the staff is too big to suit the character and the actress wielding it

ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sorry but Jacob Kell is cool as fuck. If the fight scenes in this are like Highlander Endgame, maybe I should give it a watch!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ivandobsky wrote:
3 years ago
Sorry but Jacob Kell is cool as fuck. If the fight scenes in this are like Highlander Endgame, maybe I should give it a watch!
Are you seriously he nearly drops the sword and his fight with Paul who is an accomplished martial artist. The Donnie Yen fight is superior

The fights in the tv series are far better.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Are you seriously he nearly drops the sword and his fight.
Yes. I'm not a swordfighting expert. His attitude sells it enough for me. Duncan!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ivandobsky wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Are you seriously he nearly drops the sword and his fight.
Yes. I'm not a swordfighting expert. His attitude sells it enough for me. Duncan!
I look at Kell and laugh him, compared to Kallas or Grayson
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So, time to get this topic back on track.
I just saw episode 1 and it' was promising start.
Some remarks without a particular order:
- Stargirl is "just" a 15 year old teenager here, and I mostly ignore movies/TV shows with teenagers like Harry Potter or Stranger things as they are often....annoying :hmmm:
- The staff is pretty annoying as well .....so far, as he has a life of its own and so far seemingly does what he wants (I don't know anything about Stargirl from the comics)
Spoiler
- The bad villain gets to see her face in the first episode (she hasn't gotten her costume yet)....kind of a problem if the bad guys know who you are as it puts her and her family in big danger already. I wonder how they will continue with that as they villains now could just kill her anytime they want. I hope she can restore her secret pretty fast, otherwise her mask that she will get, wouldn't make much sense anymore
- The effects are really great so such a TV show, seems it has a much bigger budget in that direction
- It will be interesting to see how the overall storyline will develop, I hope that it's not... Stargirl with many allies VS a big team of villains (like some trailers suggested so far)
- I hope for secret identity issues/peril and that ther secret identity actual IS a secret identity for the most time....not like with ...for example..... Catwoman in the comics
Spoiler
- I liked the scene where she masked herself with a bandana to fight against these punks. Glad that she realised that she should conceal her face while she switches to vigilante mode
Looking forward to see more episodes!
I will make posts about this show on my Blog in the future as there should be plenty of scenes with the masked Stargirl and other characters :-)

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

"The car loss a little of its resale value."

After blaming the Cosmic Staff for destroying the car instead of letting her let the air of the tires.
shevek
Producer
Producer

This show had a lot to prove in its pilot episode. All of the previous CW superhero shows started out with characters that either mainstream types had already heard of, or they had other audience hooks (Black Lightning could attract a black audience; Batwoman could attract LGBTs and fans of the Gotham legacy). But unless you were paying attention to a handful of very specific CW or Smallville episodes, or immersed deep DC Comics lore, or a rabid fan of Young Justice, you would not know who Stargirl is.

This means the show has to live or die on the pure strength of its initial characterizations - will it or won't it appeal to a wide family audience base? I would have to stay it succeeds in that respect. Other than the female Dr. Mid-Nite, there is no new diversity casting here - everything reflects the comics precisely as Geoff Johns intended. The tone is hopeful, optimistic and wide-eyed, and does not engage in any divisive identity politics or social agenda...yet. So the show is literally for everyone.

The feeling that one gets from the production is pure Americana: the superhero as a classic American art form. Although the visual FX are updated, the presentation seems to be straight out of a 1980s movie - I'm getting vibes of Back to the Future, ET and Gremlins. The way she tries out the staff and her powers is the same kind of exuberance we saw in the recent Shazam movie which made it so fun to watch. And the fact that the episode begins with an epic battle means we can expect a good level of action.

Now to the lead actress, Brec Bassinger. She is extremely cute, and if this show does well, she will develop quite a following. I'm sure many viewers can't wait to see her squeeze into that tight 'bike shorts' costume. It's hard to say whether the other costumes will look as good, though. We only catch brief glimpses of the Injustice Society members in the opening scene - Tigress looks like she could be promising - and only Brainwave is shown in his rather generic green getup for any length of time. The rest of the new young Justice Society was already introduced as the members of the cafeteria's "loser table" (I hope people realized this) so we'll have to see how the new Dr. Midnite, Hourman and female Wildcat look in their attire as well.

Luke Wilson is a goofball. It's a good thing he is cast primarily as a sidekick because although he's decent in that role, he's not enough to carry the show. We'll also have to see what Amy Smart, who is Courtney's mom, adds to the show because so far she's very standard suburban mom fare.

Like Maskripper, I'm wondering how they'll deal with the relationship between Stargirl and the main villain, Brainwave. It seems like it would be impossible for her to keep a secret identity if her arch-nemesis can simply read her mind. In the comics, Courtney is rather careless with her secret identity anyway. Also, I'm wondering how ornery that staff is - if the ongoing joke is that it has a mind of its own, what happens when she learns to control it? Because right now for me, at least, the staff is the second most interesting actor in the show.

The other thing I'm worried about is how deeply they can milk the stereotypical Midwestern wholesome town scenario (and of course, whatever dark secrets lie behind it). I mean, the original Justice Society was headquartered in New York City and/or Gotham, and encountered plenty of threats in that highly populated area. But in the middle of Nebraska, if Courtney is going to encounter a lot of foes within her own small town, there has to be a reason why they would all be clustered there. So I guess we'll find that out.

Also I'm looking forward to see the reveal for her young evil rival, Shiv, who is the high-school age daughter of the Dragon King. Shiv (aka Cindy Burman) is portrayed by experienced young actress Meg DeLacy, who will be giving Brec's attractiveness a run for her money, especially if the Shiv costume looks anything like it does in the comics.

I'm not a huge fan of the music per se, but here is a glimpse of the visual appeal of Meg DeLacy from a pop single she released two years ago called "Bruises".

IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

It doesn't seem like that long ago, Amy Smart played Mox's girlfriend in Varsity Blues. Now she's playing a suburban mom of a teenager.

Where did all the time go?.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

is it too taboo to put Stargirl into peril?
CJS
Henchman
Henchman

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
is it too taboo to put Stargirl into peril?
I was wondering how they'd approach it, too. If I recall, the character is 15 or so, but the actress is 19 or 20.
Sapphire Angel - Superheroine
Book 1 — Superheroine (complete)
Book 2 — Power Play (complete)
Book 3 — Deconstruction (complete)
Book 4 — Savage Dawn (complete)
Book 5 — Savage Vengeance (coming January 2024)
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It depends upon the peril. So far the show has had Brainwave telekinetically grab her body and throw stuff at her.
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I liked the pilot myself. It was great to see Courtney getting used to the Cosmic staff.

Loved the comic relief of her saying she merely wanted to take out the air out of the tires, not destroy the car. Not that he did not deserve it.

I know that TV show theme songs are not done anymore (which is a shame) but I would love to have had one with Stargirl.

She did well in her very first battle with a villain.

I know we saw the ending of the Justice Society, but I hope we see how it got to that point.

Of course the number one question is whether or not Starman was her dad. We will get that answer later in the season.

Love her first meeting with her future teammates.

Reminds me of high school and how happy I was when I graduated.

I am so going to love this show.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Episode 2:

A solid episode with a verrrry interesting ending!
A nice fight against...
Spoiler
...Brainwave (edit)! Quite some peril and even he knows who she is, she finally wears her real mask.
Luckily he gets taken care of so that her secret identity is intact for now!
Will post on the blog about it later this week (thursday?) with a video of the scene.
-
Damn, why couldn't she be a bit older in that role? So 18 or 20?
#teenagers
Last edited by Maskripper 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Bert

Actress is 20.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Actress is 20.
Yeah, but in her role she's 15, and she looks very much like that.

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I'm waiting for the scene where Pat is grounding Courtney and she is blaming the Cosmic Rod. :)
thoraz
Neophyte
Neophyte

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
Episode 2:

A solid episode with a verrrry interesting ending!
A nice fight against...
Spoiler
...Brainiac! Quite some peril and even he knows who she is, she finally wears her real mask.
Luckily he gets taken care of so that her secret identity is intact for now!
Will post on the blog about it later this week (thursday?) with a video of the scene.
-
She fought Brainwave, not Brainiac ;)
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

^ ah yes, sounds better!