Living in the shadow of the corona virus

Where derailed topics go to ....live?
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

coronavirus+mgn10.jpg
coronavirus+mgn10.jpg (47.63 KiB) Viewed 27565 times
I've not seen mention of this topic elsewhere so I thought I would share my experience of the Spanish lock down which was announced leading in to this weekend (14th-15th March 2020). For context I live within the "Comunidad De Madrid" - one of the autonomous regions of the country. I am not in the middle of the city but about half an hour away to the west.

In the week into the run up of the announcement of the state of emergency there was already a hint of tension in the air, especially as the reality on the ground in Italy became well known. What had been a tragedy far away in China was on our doorsteps and then suddenly in the heart of the country. And so, there were slightly more people in the shops buying slightly more things and then ...

So, mid last week I did a top-up shop and was surprised at what I saw. Shelves that were normally well stocked had voids where some products had been snapped up. Reassuringly however, stuff was coming back - staff members were able to, quite quickly, wheel in pallets a meter and half high and fill the gaps. Sure the shelves needed stacking - but I was reassured that by the next day things would be more normal in terms of the shopping experience. With the shopping I had obtained I was satisfied that I would not be in any danger of running short for the two weeks to come.

I live on a housing estate / sub division / urbanizacion - however you want to label it. Once the state of emergency began the local police came and put tape across the entrances of the sports facilities and play parks of the estate and of course the local bar nearby also had to close its doors for who knows how long. As you can imagine, for the locals that was quite a shift, they being a sporty and bar/restaurant/cafe sort of culture. Usually a sunny weekend like what have just had here would see the road frequented by cyclists off to ride on the roads or many mountain tracks nearby, but today - silence.

I also wonder if the social similarities of the Italians and Spanish is what may increase the communication of the virus, especially in comparison with my native Britain. Here in Spain it is customary for men and women to greet well known female friends with two kisses, cheek to cheek, in Italy something similar if I recall. Between males, a firm hug is also a common sight. Personal space is more easily entered to as well, whereas the brits tend to be a little more distant. Will the Spanish suffer due to their much more friendly nature, I don't know.

This week, I am not sure exactly when, I intend to test the mood in the local village, a short car trip away and attempt a small top-up shop and perhaps obtain some petrol. It will also give me an idea of how the local Police will treat my movement even though I will have a valid reason to go.

How are things where you are in the world, and how is the evolving crisis affecting your life?
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The biggest thing in England is that now there's no sport we're all bored. I don't think we're in full lock-down yet though, the government has been sending conflicting advice and at one point it seems they were intent on deliberately allowing the virus to spread so that they could get it out the way. I think somebody explained to the PM though that the demographic most likely to die was the demographic most likely to vote Conservative, so he seems to be getting his head out of his arse now.

It's probably going to get much worse though because of the slow reaction to the threat. We had three thousand people from Madrid crammed into a stadium in Liverpool just a few days ago.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bo-Jo's response would be laughable if it were not so serious a mistake! Set to lock down 70 year olds... in a few weeks time?!? Does anyone have any idea what the landscape will be like in a few weeks time?! A lot can happen in just one week, let alone two, just ask the Italians, just ask the Spanish!!

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I live in Massachusetts outside of Boston.

In the last week. All K-12 schools have been closed for the next three weeks. Almost all universities have students remotely.

Restaurants can only do take out or delivery

Most business are working remotely
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

If only America had some sort of pandemic response unit

How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Boy that fake news gets everywhere, don't it?

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Also Trump:

January 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”

February 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”

February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”

February 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”

February 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”

February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”

February 26: “We're going very substantially down, not up.”

February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

February 28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”

March 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”

March 2: “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”

March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”

March 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”

March 5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”

March 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”

March 6: “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”

March 6: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”

March 6: “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”

March 8: “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”

March 9: “This blindsided the world.”
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

May we keep this discussion off political bashing

Let not be as divisive as the politicians
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

To be fair, I was hoping that this might promote honest discussion about how things were where other people live, not make it a blame game hehe!

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Part of the reason Trump is so lost with this is that Covid19 doesn't have a Twitter account. When people point out his idiocy he attacks them directly, brands them liars, fake news belittles them with some derogatory prefix (Slow Joe etc) But this crisis is exposing the ineptness of the regime and there is no one else to blame. You sack the people you need in this situation and this is what you get.
The UK has a cordinated plan for dealing with the outbreak which as a government insider I can now reveal to you all -
_20200316_150207.JPG
_20200316_150207.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 28003 times

Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ah, that strat, huh?! Well, good luck to everyone then!

Bert

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
May we keep this discussion off political bashing

Let not be as divisive as the politicians
Says the Trump lover when Trump's actions are the main reason America is at such risk.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Cmon fellas let's be respectful towards each other even if our opinions differ.

Bert

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -new-turn/

Respectfully, it is impossible to have a meaningful discussion about the coronavirus crisis, or at least its effect on America, without mentioning politics, and in particular the role the president has played in making the crisis worse. As outlined in the column above, Donald Trump has made and continues to make the situation more dangerous for the American people. He minimized the crisis for week after week, muzzled knowledgeable medical experts and made many false and misleading statements. He attacked the media, first for promoting Covid19 as a hoax to damage his presidency, and then for honestly and responsibly reporting his lies, errors and evasions.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bert wrote:
4 years ago
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -new-turn/

Respectfully, it is impossible to have a meaningful discussion about the coronavirus crisis, or at least its effect on America, without mentioning politics, and in particular the role the president has played in making the crisis worse. As outlined in the column above, Donald Trump has made and continues to make the situation more dangerous for the American people. He minimized the crisis for week after week, muzzled knowledgeable medical experts and made many false and misleading statements. He attacked the media, first for promoting Covid19 as a hoax to damage his presidency, and then for honestly and responsibly reporting his lies, errors and evasions.
I generally agree with this analysis but, as the OP, I was hoping to share experiences with regular people I.e other members who are in affected areas.

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Living in a Republican state in the US, the local and state governments are doing more than our president to slow the spread. Pretty much any event with large crowds has been cancelled from sports to sales to carnivals. Schools are closing for classes and shifting to on-line for what they can.

Stores have large empty spots of the shelves for certain products, but the stores are trying to restock.

It isn't too bad here, yet. Although not having testing kits is probably doing more to make the situation seem better than it really is.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
4 years ago
I generally agree with this analysis but, as the OP, I was hoping to share experiences with regular people I.e other members who are in affected areas.
Well, as an italian I can tell you this is like nothing I've seen before, since 1974. Especially in north Italy (Lombardia) it's complete chaos, with infection and death rates over the roof ... only China numbers -who succesfully contained the virus after 70 days of lockdown- were worse at this point.

There are not enough masks (not even enough for medical personnel), the hospitals are full, ICUs are not enough, oxygen is running out... the other countries saw north italy regions example (they didn't completly shut down 3 weeks ago and look where they are now) so they taking the same precautions beforehand, rightly so. Because looking at us is like a time machine, that's what happens if there is no lockdown, in 2-3 weeks, starting from just 10 infections (which are actually x10 or more, in the wild).

And people need to be controlled by police/military because there are too many stupid ones out there thinking it's all fake, or that it's nothing that matters to them in person (until themselves or a relative get infected, of course) and they go around even with all the shops/gigs/sports events cancelled (you can go out only to buy food, meds or to go to work). Many people actually left Lombardia to go to south italian regions, thinking to be smart this way (yeah, they gonna infect the people/relatives living here, that's what will happen, fuckin geniouses !)
Last edited by helstar 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I just saw a post on another site that said that previous generations went to war and risked their lives to save our world from evil tyrants, that the least we can do is stay home during this period, try to lower our risk of infection by not appearing with large groups of people, and not infect some of our older and at risk Americans. When I saw large, long lines of people waiting to get in restaraunts and bars in my city of Boston last Saturday night, I think that people still don't get the enormity of the danger involved in needlessly potentially exposing ourselves to this awful virus. Authorities in my area after seeing some of those lines, decided to ban all activities of 25 or more people. Someone I follow said that some of these healthy young people will go two weeks without experiencing any symptoms, go visit their grandparents and kill them with this virus. We must be vigilant about the dangers of spreading this virus and not be selfish dicks and do what we please without any regard to other people's health and welfare. I really rather not get into politics while people are dying from this virus, but sufficed to say, many of our world's leaders mishandled this thing to a great degree. I remember there used to be stories on these news magazine shows in the past here that said we were nowhere close to being able to handle a worldwide pandemic of this magnitude. I guess they were right. Let's hope that the next time this kind of thing happens (unfortunately, I think this is inevitable) we learn from this clusterfuck what not to do during a crisis such as this, and learn to deal responsibly when something of this magnitude occurs. I hope everyone on here stays safe and in good health. This too shall pass.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

All I have to say is that it is way out of control!!!...lucky me this has been my first assignment upon becoming a full fledge Dr!! yay me!!! baptism by fire
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

helstar wrote:
4 years ago
Abductorenmadrid wrote:
4 years ago
Well, as an italian I can tell you this is like nothing I've seen before, since 1974. Especially in north Italy (Lombardia) it's complete chaos, with infection and death rates over the roof ... only China numbers -who succesfully contained the virus after 70 days of lockdown- were worse at this point.
Thank you for that - I know other members here have an american viewpoint, but I hope our experiences as europeans might enlighten them as to what a lock down looks like! I suspect just as Italy was seemingly slow off the mark, so has Spain been and as for the UK, their response is glacial and in the USA - well we shall see what happens!!

Batgirl - if that is the case - I wish you the very best of luck - you will need it!

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

The economics of this is actually probably going to be a lot worse than the deaths from the virus itself. I'm not minimizing the deaths by any means but when you start closing down all the businesses, all the stadiums and all the restaurants, that's millions of week-to-week paycheck earners laid off. It's going to be a lot more than a ripple in the U.S. economy (and the world's) we will see spread out. It'll be a very nasty wave that will be virtually impossible to avoid. That's why the stock market is tanking.

In last night's debate both Biden and Sanders said people should be made whole and not held financially accountable for the effects of this national disaster. One answer I can see is to put a freeze on mortgage payments and rent payments for two months and add those payments to the end of the mortgage or lease. So people don't have to worry about being evicted.

There need to be inventive and caring reactions to this crisis on a world-wide basis. And politics needs to take a back seat.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
4 years ago
All I have to say is that it is way out of control!!!...lucky me this has been my first assignment upon becoming a full fledge Dr!! yay me!!! baptism by fire
Be safe
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

As promised I did a recon trip into the village and do a top-up shop. Petrol has not been reported as an issue so I took our little all-electric into the pueblo instead. I did not encounter any police on the short journey though there was plenty of evidence of their touch - parks and public spaces where you could congregate are taped off.

I entered the supermarket and things were a lot more sombre than what I encountered on my last trip. Everyone behaved as if they were inside an invisible bubble, unable to navigate any area with someone else in it for fear of it popping! Good! Masks were worn by many people, including the staff who I was quite concerned for when I saw them without any protection on my last trip. Taped lines now mark the separation between trolleys at the checkout.

In terms of "stuff on the shelves" - there were more gaps than last time I was there, but, in some cases, the inverse of what there was before. A section of frozen fish which was a void last week is up to the gunwales today. There was a more diverse selection of fresh meat on sale too. Last time, while there was a good volume of meat left, you better had liked pork in that one sort of cut or else ...!! Cheese on the other hand is now like gold dust... maybe the re-order hadn't been stocked but the big long section of cheese was empty! The beer situation, while not critical, was not great! Main brand beers were lacking, BUT, "own brand" stuff was there (gee, great!) Maybe some of these gaps have been caused by delivery trucks being filled with essentials instead? Hard to say.

What else did I note - well - flour is now being sold in units of 5kg, not the usual 1kg - the hoarder special! It may be that these less traditional formats (sold to restaurants perhaps) are sat in warehouses and so can fill the gap for now? I scored yeast on a previous trip and I still have flour for bread in the cupboard - but - maybe next time I will grab a 5kg bag! Eggs are extinct too - a void where they once were - but we have some in the house, we can eek them out for a week more for sure.

In summary then - if a normal day's shopping is a 10 out of 10, I would rate last weeks as a 7 and todays more like 6 or a 5.

I will do another recon next week I guess and see how things are going!! For now though I hope to stay put!

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

IMG-20200317-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200317-WA0000.jpg (96.17 KiB) Viewed 27881 times

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
4 years ago
As promised I did a recon trip into the village and do a top-up shop. Petrol has not been reported as an issue so I took our little all-electric into the pueblo instead. I did not encounter any police on the short journey though there was plenty of evidence of their touch - parks and public spaces where you could congregate are taped off.

I entered the supermarket and things were a lot more sombre than what I encountered on my last trip. Everyone behaved as if they were inside an invisible bubble, unable to navigate any area with someone else in it for fear of it popping! Good! Masks were worn by many people, including the staff who I was quite concerned for when I saw them without any protection on my last trip. Taped lines now mark the separation between trolleys at the checkout.

In terms of "stuff on the shelves" - there were more gaps than last time I was there, but, in some cases, the inverse of what there was before. A section of frozen fish which was a void last week is up to the gunwales today. There was a more diverse selection of fresh meat on sale too. Last time, while there was a good volume of meat left, you better had liked pork in that one sort of cut or else ...!! Cheese on the other hand is now like gold dust... maybe the re-order hadn't been stocked but the big long section of cheese was empty! The beer situation, while not critical, was not great! Main brand beers were lacking, BUT, "own brand" stuff was there (gee, great!) Maybe some of these gaps have been caused by delivery trucks being filled with essentials instead? Hard to say.

What else did I note - well - flour is now being sold in units of 5kg, not the usual 1kg - the hoarder special! It may be that these less traditional formats (sold to restaurants perhaps) are sat in warehouses and so can fill the gap for now? I scored yeast on a previous trip and I still have flour for bread in the cupboard - but - maybe next time I will grab a 5kg bag! Eggs are extinct too - a void where they once were - but we have some in the house, we can eek them out for a week more for sure.

In summary then - if a normal day's shopping is a 10 out of 10, I would rate last weeks as a 7 and todays more like 6 or a 5.

I will do another recon next week I guess and see how things are going!! For now though I hope to stay put!
With the exception of a few items , you have been able to get most of your needs here in Mass
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago

With the exception of a few items , you have been able to get most of your needs here in Mass
I have? Sorry, I don't follow...

TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I live in New York (Long Island). As recently as last week, people were still going out and doing their thing. And the advice on TV was basically just "wash your hands, don't touch your face."

But last Friday, things seemed to be escalating. There was talk about school closings. I'm a computer programmer and I started working from home about 2 years ago. But I also train (and teach) in the martial arts. And I started to think that maybe I should take a break for a while as the dojo is a serious disease vector.

Then I got a text on Friday from my teacher saying he is closing the school for 2 weeks and I was very relieved. Now I don't even have to make that decision.

I have not been out of the house since Friday, when I went for my annual eye exam. I'm almost 50 years old and in excellent health, so I'm frankly not too worried about getting the virus myself. But I also live with my Mom who has serious health issues (COPD) and is very likely to die if she gets the virus, and my Dad who has Alzheimers.

The worst part about the situation for me, so far, is not having a break from my Dad. It's not his fault, but he's driving me crazy. And I am very stressed about how long this is going to last. We were just getting to the point where we were thinking about putting him in a nursing home or getting some in-home help and that just became a whole lot more difficult, now.

As for shopping, I do most of my shopping online. So I thought I would be okay there. Except Amazon is basically out of everything. You can't even buy toilet paper, now. It's insane. I just heard that they are now prioritizing essentials like medical supplies and other essentials, so I hope they get toilet paper and other stuff in soon.

My biggest problem right now is just the anxiety. The uncertainty of how I am going to get through the next few weeks or months or however long this lasts has got me VERY stressed. It feels like we are very close to the breaking point here and if one more thing goes wrong, it could be truly catastrophic.

I will refrain from bashing the Great Pumpkin, since that's not really what this thread is about and it's not a constructive conversation. :)
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Good luck, TIEnTEEZ. You've got a lot on your plate over there. Here in NJ, I was fortunate to walk into a Walgreens this afternoon and was able to get two packs of toilet paper for a neighbor with lung issues. The stock boy was just putting it out. They even had paper towels and some tissue boxes. Everything in town is now closed and we're self-quarantining ourselves here. I'm retired but my wife is currently working from home. And so it goes.... Stay safe, people!

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

TIEnTEEZ wrote:
4 years ago
I live in New York (Long Island). As recently as last week, people were still going out and doing their thing. And the advice on TV was basically just "wash your hands, don't touch your face."

But last Friday, things seemed to be escalating. There was talk about school closings. I'm a computer programmer and I started working from home about 2 years ago. But I also train (and teach) in the martial arts. And I started to think that maybe I should take a break for a while as the dojo is a serious disease vector.

Then I got a text on Friday from my teacher saying he is closing the school for 2 weeks and I was very relieved. Now I don't even have to make that decision.

I have not been out of the house since Friday, when I went for my annual eye exam. I'm almost 50 years old and in excellent health, so I'm frankly not too worried about getting the virus myself. But I also live with my Mom who has serious health issues (COPD) and is very likely to die if she gets the virus, and my Dad who has Alzheimers.

The worst part about the situation for me, so far, is not having a break from my Dad. It's not his fault, but he's driving me crazy. And I am very stressed about how long this is going to last. We were just getting to the point where we were thinking about putting him in a nursing home or getting some in-home help and that just became a whole lot more difficult, now.

As for shopping, I do most of my shopping online. So I thought I would be okay there. Except Amazon is basically out of everything. You can't even buy toilet paper, now. It's insane. I just heard that they are now prioritizing essentials like medical supplies and other essentials, so I hope they get toilet paper and other stuff in soon.

My biggest problem right now is just the anxiety. The uncertainty of how I am going to get through the next few weeks or months or however long this lasts has got me VERY stressed. It feels like we are very close to the breaking point here and if one more thing goes wrong, it could be truly catastrophic.

I will refrain from bashing the Great Pumpkin, since that's not really what this thread is about and it's not a constructive conversation. :)
I think your teacher made the right decision. As a former instructor, I would not want students this close at this time

Anxiety is something we will have to deal with. For the two of us, the fact that we can practice at home, will help. My health club closed for the next 3 weeks, no warning. but I did 45 minutes this morning on my own
Bert

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago

Haha! replace "you" with "I" and "your" with "my", slap a period on the end, and you'll be well on the way to understanding what he meant. It's not your fault, because Murican.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bert wrote:
4 years ago
Abductorenmadrid wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago

Haha! replace "you" with "I" and "your" with "my", slap a period on the end, and you'll be well on the way to understanding what he meant. It's not your fault, because Murican.
So confused! Damn you, simplified English!!! Thanks Bert, you should be added into google-translate, you are our "Rosetta Stone" from now on!

Bert

We all have to stick together as we actively distance ourselves from one another!
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

TIEnTEEZ, I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances, I can imagine your father's problems can be quite stressful for you! Are there no services or organisations available that might be able to give you a break?

AEM

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I'm a chronic asthmatic and last 3yrs have moved back in to look after my elderly mum who has both asthma, incontinence and early stage dementia so we are both in the higher risk category.

We have carer visits to help but given they are visiting 10 or so other people a day I am more worried about them giving it to her than anything else. We have struggled to get sanitary wipes for her which is another worry.

The panic buying is ridiculous.

We are lucky that this outbreak isn't potentially lethal to all aspects of society.

So small mercies and all that.

I hope all here and their families come through this OK. We are gonna emerge from this. Just need to be sensible.

I miss the pub already

We were gonna have a last hurrah

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

It's the refugees in camps that are gonna get it bad and all those Syrians trapped at the border, poor buggers.

Bert

A little update on coronavirus.

-The elderly are more at risk.
-The young are least at risk.
-Those with pre-existing conditions like COPD and asthma are at increased risk.
-Men are more at risk than women.
-Blood type "A" appears more at risk.
-Blood type "O" appears less at risk.

These factors may add or subtract from someone's overall risk of contacting Covid19, and to how severe a case they might suffer. But they are just factors, and there are no guarantees. Healthy women in their twenties have died from Covid19.

Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. Don't touch your eyes, nose or mouth. Keep six feet away from people. Practice social distancing. Don't shake hands or kiss.

The challenge here is to avoid infection until a vaccine is available. Modern technology has allowed vaccine developers to skip animal testing and go straight to human tests, which are beginning now. There is a reasonable chance that a safe, effective vaccine may be available within six to nine months. Be smart. Do all you can to avoid exposing yourself to infection.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Source for this info ? Thanks
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

IMG-20200319-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20200319-WA0002.jpg (201.04 KiB) Viewed 27709 times

Keep your spirits up lords and ladies
IMG-20200319-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20200319-WA0003.jpg (105.4 KiB) Viewed 27708 times

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

helstar wrote:
4 years ago

Been on several news sites

https://www.sciencealert.com/paper-sugg ... o-covid-19
Bert

helstar wrote:
4 years ago

A Chinese study involving a little over 2000 people. Details are online.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
I think your teacher made the right decision. As a former instructor, I would not want students this close at this time

Anxiety is something we will have to deal with. For the two of us, the fact that we can practice at home, will help. My health club closed for the next 3 weeks, no warning. but I did 45 minutes this morning on my own
It was absolutely the right decision and I told him so as soon as I got the text. There are some other dojos in my area that are still holding limited classes and I think they are NUTS. But now I think the Governor has basically ordered all gyms (including martial arts studios) to shut down for 2 weeks.

It's really hard to get up the energy to work out on my own. I know that I should, but it just seems hard to start. I am used to following my routine and going to the dojo. I really don't have a lot of room in the house, although I suppose I could do basic stuff like sit-ups and push-ups - the incredibly boring stuff.

I have some weapons katas I can do by myself, but I need more room than I have. Been thinking about trying to do them outside, but...

A) There's not much room on the patio, either.
B) It's raining today.
C) I feel weird doing it out in the open, like I'm looking for attention. :-P
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
4 years ago
TIEnTEEZ, I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances, I can imagine your father's problems can be quite stressful for you! Are there no services or organisations available that might be able to give you a break?

AEM
Part of the problem there is that I'm not really in charge around here. I live here to help out both my parents, and Mom is the boss. And she absolutely refuses to have a stranger in the house for some reason.

I keep begging her to get someone in just once or twice a week to groom my dad, shower, shave, etc. But she won't do it. I've been wanting her to do this for a while. And now with the virus everything just became ten times harder. We can't even get the doctor's office or the Pharmacy on the freaking phone to renew our prescriptions.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

TIEnTEEZ wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago

It was absolutely the right decision and I told him so as soon as I got the text. There are some other dojos in my area that are still holding limited classes and I think they are NUTS. But now I think the Governor has basically ordered all gyms (including martial arts studios) to shut down for 2 weeks.

It's really hard to get up the energy to work out on my own. I know that I should, but it just seems hard to start. I am used to following my routine and going to the dojo. I really don't have a lot of room in the house, although I suppose I could do basic stuff like sit-ups and push-ups - the incredibly boring stuff.

I have some weapons katas I can do by myself, but I need more room than I have. Been thinking about trying to do them outside, but...

A) There's not much room on the patio, either.
B) It's raining today.
C) I feel weird doing it out in the open, like I'm looking for attention. :-P
Are you able to do some unarmed movement, Is your form hard form or Kung Fu based? My advice on part C, just start moving and your training should allow you to not be effected by passers by. Because of where I am in the Northeast I have been doing early in the shared garage.

When my health club closed for the next three weeks,at first I was irraited because what they were going to do is limit it to 25 people. Than they just decided for the employees as well as the users safety to close it.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
Are you able to do some unarmed movement, Is your form hard form or Kung Fu based? My advice on part C, just start moving and your training should allow you to not be effected by passers by. Because of where I am in the Northeast I have been doing early in the shared garage.

When my health club closed for the next three weeks,at first I was irraited because what they were going to do is limit it to 25 people. Than they just decided for the employees as well as the users safety to close it.
I do Japanese Jiu-Jutsu. We don't really have katas except for a few weapons katas like Bo and Jo. Basically, that's what I was planning to do. It's one of the only things I can really do alone, other than punches and kicks, maybe.

Of course, I also have to work during the day (I work from home) so that makes it even more difficult. I don't really want to do it outside in the dark. :-P And it's been raining the last few days, too. Maybe tomorrow, I can get out there a little if the weather is better. (Sigh)
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

TIEnTEEZ wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago

I do Japanese Jiu-Jutsu. We don't really have katas except for a few weapons katas like Bo and Jo. Basically, that's what I was planning to do. It's one of the only things I can really do alone, other than punches and kicks, maybe.

Of course, I also have to work during the day (I work from home) so that makes it even more difficult. I don't really want to do it outside in the dark. :-P And it's been raining the last few days, too. Maybe tomorrow, I can get out there a little if the weather is better. (Sigh)
Yes your style does not lend itself to much individualized movement, from the little I know of it
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I was unfortunately required to venture out to the local supermarket again today. In general things were much better in the store than they have been since the crisis began to kick off here. Fresh meat was well stocked, veg too. The frozen section was well stocked save for Merluza/Hake which was empty. Crisps/Potato chips had also been decimated (people snacking, trapped at home !?!) Pasta and flour were okay - rice a little light but still available. Tinned stuff which had been wiped out were back again. As the "out of stock" situation seems to be affecting entire product ranges in one category (last time no cheeses, this time no potato chips) I am guessing it's due to the peculiarities of the re-order system - not shoppers going crazy to get that one product.

Today I'd rate that shop situation as an 8 out of 10 - unless you were out for potato chips - in which case it was a zero LOL!!

Stay safe, everyone!

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
4 years ago
I was unfortunately required to venture out to the local supermarket again today. In general things were much better in the store than they have been since the crisis began to kick off here. Fresh meat was well stocked, veg too. The frozen section was well stocked save for Merluza/Hake which was empty. Crisps/Potato chips had also been decimated (people snacking, trapped at home !?!) Pasta and flour were okay - rice a little light but still available. Tinned stuff which had been wiped out were back again. As the "out of stock" situation seems to be affecting entire product ranges in one category (last time no cheeses, this time no potato chips) I am guessing it's due to the peculiarities of the re-order system - not shoppers going crazy to get that one product.

Today I'd rate that shop situation as an 8 out of 10 - unless you were out for potato chips - in which case it was a zero LOL!!

Stay safe, everyone!
One move several Supermarkets are doing, is setting some hours for only seniors to shop.

Which is a wise thing to do.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

They moved my dad to a new nursing home yesterday as his dementia has worsened but no one can go see him as they are in lock down, so he is gonna wonder where the hell we all are, which is a bit hard to take for us as we cant settle him in. It wasnt our choice of home either so we got no idea what it's like. :sad:

Bert

Sorry, buddy. That's really tough.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

tallyho wrote:
4 years ago
They moved my dad to a new nursing home yesterday as his dementia has worsened but no one can go see him as they are in lock down, so he is gonna wonder where the hell we all are, which is a bit hard to take for us as we cant settle him in. It wasnt our choice of home either so we got no idea what it's like. :sad:

That is very sad news to hear. My prayers go out to you and your family. Please be sure that you can have written communications delivered to him so he knows you're thinking of him. I'm not sure what stage his dementia is in but perhaps photos of you with simple hearts attached will let him be aware he's thought of.