Thai and other non-English superheroine tv shows

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Can anyone help with this..?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of non-English speaking tv shows that feature superheroines. Obviously most English-speaking fans know about the Filipino heroines with tv shows: Darna, Varga, Super Ma'am, Krystala, etc. etc. The Japanese 'superheroine' shows are also fairly well documented online, as are odd shows like Mega Mindy from Belgium and Fly With Me from Hong Kong. But, after chatting with a couple of fellow fans, it occurs to me that there really isn't much material accessible to an English speaking audience about Thai tv shows centred on, or featuring, superheroines.

Here's a few that I'm aware of:
  • สาวน้อยมหัศจรรย์ Wonder G (aka Wonder Woman) -- aired 2010, 48 episodes total.
  • ไต้ฝุ่นสุดซ่า สายฟ้าจอมกวน (aka The Typhoon) -- aired 2011, unknown episode count, likely to be several dozen
  • ยอดมนุษย์ดาบเทวดา (aka Angel Sword) -- aired 2015, show about a male hero but introduced superheroine sidekick in later episodes (starting when?). Episode count is over 30.
There's also a current super team show called Four Guardian Gods that started just before Christmas, with a costumed female character who has Human Torch style flame powers. I'm aware of other superhero shows from the last fifteen years, but they don't appear to feature superheroines (although some may have featured superpowered female villains.)

I'm assuming the history of superheroines on tv in Thailand extends back before 2010, so it would be nice to compile some details on them.

R5
hagarb
Sargeant
Sargeant

I suggest ‘Revive to kill" กุหลาบเกราะเพชร

The girls look amazing and the fight scenes are pretty decent, the downside is there’s only a few episodes with fights.

https://mydramalist.com/30743-kularb-kror-petch

Attachments
69150092-5E21-4367-AE88-C2FF1D36C521.jpeg
69150092-5E21-4367-AE88-C2FF1D36C521.jpeg (102.11 KiB) Viewed 15142 times
Hey, check my artworks, featuring Batgirl facing a very brutal villain:https://hborges77.deviantart.com/galler ... or-rematch
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Hey dude I'm pretty sure nobody can help (would need some Thai forum member... very unlikely) but trying won't hurt of course :)

Ps. The Typhoon is 60 episodes.
hagarb
Sargeant
Sargeant

helstar wrote:
4 years ago
Hey dude I'm pretty sure nobody can help (...)
I just did. :)
Hey, check my artworks, featuring Batgirl facing a very brutal villain:https://hborges77.deviantart.com/galler ... or-rematch
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

helstar wrote:
4 years ago
Hey dude I'm pretty sure nobody can help (would need some Thai forum member... very unlikely) but trying won't hurt of course :)

Ps. The Typhoon is 60 episodes.
Thanks for confirming 60 episodes.

One of the problems is that because of the language differences and the Lunar calendar, when you see the episodes listed on sites where they've been uploaded (which is often the only place you'll get episode-by-episode listings) you can never be sure which is the final episode. :)

I've already looked on Thai language forums. Social media is pretty good at finding out about the existence of shows, at least recent ones, but of course without an episode guide you've little knowledge of whether a heroine appears in the whole show, or only a few episodes, or what. Thankfully for The Typhoon I found a blogger who'd written reviews of some of the early episodes, so that was useful in finding out about how the show was structured.

Cheers,
R5
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

those girls look HOT and their costumes amazing!!
they would look incredible fighting some equally hot female blonde villainesses
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

hagarb wrote:
4 years ago
I just did. :)
Nothing about his specific request about those tv series though... :hmm:
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Just to clarify: I'm interested in any tv show that features superheroines, both recent and old. Given how many Thai superhero shows are referenced on social media, it looks like the genre is as popular on Thai tv as in the Philippines and Indonesia. I'm assuming that this interest extends back before 2010, when social media took off. So presumably there's a potential cache of tv shows about or featuring superheroine type characters stretching back years that English-speaking audiences know little of. I'm curious about them.

R5
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

The only problem is that even with certain infos it would be next to impossible to watch any of those (unless somebody is willing to try to buy from a Thai random online shop - without even be sure if they ship abroad etc.)
Only some small videos on youtube I guess :coffee:
hagarb
Sargeant
Sargeant

helstar wrote:
4 years ago
The only problem is that even with certain infos it would be next to impossible to watch any of those (unless somebody is willing to try to buy from a Thai random online shop - without even be sure if they ship abroad etc.)
Only some small videos on youtube I guess :coffee:
Hey, don’t underestimate yourself, if I can do that, and I don’t even speak english properly, you definitely could do too. It’s all about how much time and money you agree to spend in order to find what are you looking for. You won’t succeed all the time, but that rule applies in everything in life anyway.

Another superhero (with gorgeous heroines) Thai movie is Night Falcon.
5799323F-914C-45DA-9184-BC3817003F80.png
5799323F-914C-45DA-9184-BC3817003F80.png (733.81 KiB) Viewed 15074 times
http://mjsimpson-films.blogspot.com/201 ... alcon.html

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

hagarb wrote:
4 years ago
Another superhero (with gorgeous heroines) Thai movie is Night Falcon.
Now this one was totally new to me, so a big big thank you for that.

To tackle the wider debate about motivations: I think the reason why I'm asking around about this is that there's been a noticeable shift in the last twelve to eighteen months for Japanese, Filipino and Indonesian broadcasters or content makers putting some of their old content onto streaming sites, notably YouTube. Indeed companies like GMA (Philippines) are even putting shows as recent as only 12 months old onto YT (Super Ma'am is on there now, in its entirety in HD.) Now, these shows are region locked, but there are ways around that if you know what you're doing. The problem is some of these shows are only made available for limited periods, which means that to stand any chance of catching them you need a solid idea of what you're searching for.

I have friends, both in 'real life' and online, who speak Japanese and Tagalog, and its through them that I've been able to find out about a lot of the superhero shows in Japan and The Philippines (indeed one of my Filipino friends actually remembers watching some of early Darna movies on tv when she was a girl.) I always assumed I'd never see these shows, but in the last two years, bit by bit, previously unobtainable shows have started to surface, legitimately(!!), on internet sites. Shows I assumed I'd never see back in 2017, by the end of 2019 I'd managed to watch every episode of(!!)

This spurred my interest in documenting some of the shows from other parts of the non-English speaking world -- notably Indonesia and Thailand, who seem to have fantasy soap-opera genres just like The Philippines (Fantaserye / Telefantasya as they're known in The Philippines, Lakorn as they're known in Thailand.) If you don't speak the lingo then it's damn near impossible to find superhero shows on an online video site... unless, of course, you have a list of specific titles to search for. So that's why I'm asking...

;)

R5
shevek
Producer
Producer

Five_red - excellent idea and that's some very good work you're doing there, keep it up! Would love to hear more about the history of Thai superheroines.

Seems like Southeast Asia has for decades had no compunction about producing movies and TV shows with female superheroine leads and that is fantastic.

However you didn't talk about the other non-English film industries which are also huge: Bollywood and Nollywood.

Unfortunately, probably because of its culture and some kind of inability to sell a movie with a main female lead, India's film industry is far behind East Asia when it comes to superheroines, but there are some sporadic examples.

First of all there is Bijli (Power/Energy), whose including in the horror-based Shh...Koi Hai TV show I documented in a thread on this forum a couple years ago. Her character inspired us to create Arogya and Kaliyuga for our series. Bijli is the quintessential Indian superheroine, and actress Neha Devi Singh is quite proud of her groundbreaking role - she mentions it regularly on her fan page.
65591888_10157045748811777_5380191569036967936_n.jpg
65591888_10157045748811777_5380191569036967936_n.jpg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 15015 times
There was a rumor in 2018 that actress Deepika Padukone would play India's first true movie superheroine in the vein of Wonder Woman, but nothing seems to have come of that as of yet.

Otherwise than that, there are only limited appearances by superheroines in Indian movies (despite the otherwise abundance of superhero roles like Krrish and Shaktimaan), so Bijli is still the gold standard but here are the other entries:

"Zara" in Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd. (2007) about two superheroes who fall in love but initially don't know each other's secret identity.
It's only one part of a six-part story in the movie. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeymoon ... s_Pvt._Ltd.

Priyanka Chopra as Sonia in Drona (2008). She was the sidekick to the main character in the film. It was a box-office disaster.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drona_(2008_film)
[Tangentially related: lovely actress Nupur who plays Arogya in our series recently wrapped a role in a TV show that's being produced by Priyanka Chopra!]

Kangana Ranaut as Kaya in Krrish 3 (2013). She's a shapeshifter who is a Mystique ripoff. Priyanka Chopra is also in this movie as the main hero Krrish's wife (no powers, though), and there are minor villainess roles played by "Cheetah Woman" and "Scorpion Woman".

The three main leads in the TV show Trideviyaan (which I assume means three goddesses?). It's kind of like Charlie's Angels except the women have powers (strength, speed and voice). But what is weird is that instead of looking different, the characters look very similar and are even named similarly: Dhannu, Tanu and Manu. It's like the producers couldn't think of three different ways to portray a heroic female character. This show ran for one reason, and there are quite a lot of episodes of it (190!). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trideviyaan

And...that's it. But if you thought India with over a billion people was rather sparse in this regard, don't look to Nigeria for pretty much anything.
Which is too bad, because that country has a burgeoning comic book industry, and some of the best titles feature superheroines such as Aje, Ireti,
and several members of the Vanguards (the Nigerian version of the Avengers). Also, Nigerian science-fiction writer Nnedi Okorafor, who works for
Marvel Comics, created the young Nigerian superheroine Ngozi, but nothing came of that even in the fanbase, let alone in the film world.

I did find two fairly hilarious Nigerian vids on Youtube about "Spider-Girl" - they're about a half-hour length each. The costume isn't good.

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Cutei Honey: The Live, is an old Japanese TV show that ran for a season. It had great action scenes, a fun sparkly sense of humor that wasn't afraid to get dark... and even some half decent sexual/fetish peril in some of the episodes, It's also not to hard to find well done subtitled episodes floating around.

shevek
Producer
Producer

In addition to that TV series here's the 2004 Cutie Honey movie starring Eriko Sato. Seems like it would definitely be up this Forum's alley:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutie_Honey_(film)

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
4 years ago
I did find two fairly hilarious Nigerian vids on Youtube about "Spider-Girl" - they're about a half-hour length each. The costume isn't good.

R5
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Night Hawk: basically Batwoman, but on Thai tv and three years before the CW show. :)

R5
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Yowza ! These THAI youtube channels (I guess the biggest TV companies over there ?) are like gold mines... :thumbup:
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

It seems like a bunch of episodes from the 2005 Angel Locsin version of Darna have resurfaced.

For example:

Unfortunately, the numbering of these videos doesn't match the episode guides I've found online.

I'm wondering if they are simply numbered in the order that the account holder has posted them. Apparently they are to replace some other files that had become corrupted.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

helstar wrote:
4 years ago
Yowza ! These THAI youtube channels (I guess the biggest TV companies over there ?) are like gold mines... :thumbup:
Yes, Ch7HD is apparently one of the big broadcasters that do superhero shows. One of their current shows is the Red Mask, but as yet no superpowered females have turned up. Bugaboo is the name of their streaming service with their back catalogue box sets, including Night Hawk IIRC and one or two other series with super females (specifically which one's I forget right now.)

I haven't had time to go through their YT channel playlists, so if you find anything heroine-related then post it here for everyone to enjoy. ;)

There's at least one other tv network that regularly makes superhero themed shows. A few years back they seemed to have their own mini version of The CW, with two or three shows that existed in one universe, with crossovers. Sadly the episodes featuring superheroines are hard to find (although they may be on Bugaboo), but I seem to recall finding some episodes on DM that had female villains. That network has a show running right now that is basically the Fantastic Four, except each member has powers based on nature, like wind, fire, etc.

So yeah, the whole country seems to be a gold mine of super-female tv, stretching back quite a few years at least :)

R5
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Please make/write (thai) names so I can look around :D

Well for now I haven't found anything related to superhero/superheroines, just drama-fantasy series feat. "giant snakes" trasforming women (wtf), dragon-faced spitfire-girl (double wtf), little daughter-of-Gods who has superstrenght (this one is more comedy in general from the small clips I've seen)
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

helstar wrote:
4 years ago
Please make/write (thai) names so I can look around :D
One is called Angel Sword (ยอดมนุษย์ดาบเทวดา ); he's a male superhero, but sometime around August 2015 (episode #38 or thereabouts if my estimates are right) his girlfriend adopts a superheroine identity too. Based on images online she seems to have energy blast type powers, where she can 'Force push' enemies away (like a Jedi.)

The first 25 or so episodes are up on DailyMotion, but sadly they don't reach the point where the heroine makes her debut. I think there may be some female super villains in the DM episodes however, but I've not checked through them all.

https://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x57zc6

The good news is that I've found someone who appears to have all the episodes, so I'm optimistic I can get the girlfriend-superheroine ones maybe sometime in the next couple of weeks. But there are no guarantees and these leads so often end in disappointment -- don't hold your breath. :)

R5
ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

There is a movie named Volta, that was also a TV show
ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

five_red wrote:
4 years ago

Night Hawk: basically Batwoman, but on Thai tv and three years before the CW show. :)

R5
Where I can find this show? Dailymotion?
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

ricky1989 wrote:
4 years ago
There is a movie named Volta, that was also a TV show
Volta is from the Philippines, and the lead is anything but hot. :cry:
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Agree ! Both terrible ! :giggle:
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I guess this is kind of superhero adjacent but there's a lot of Chinese TV shows with hot female spies in WW2 using pretty full-on superhero moves (think budget Crouching Tiger style ignoring physics with a Rambo-level of respect for the humanity and ability to shoot straight of the enemy) to fight against the Japanese. There are some interesting tropes with this particular weird genre of trashy WW2 spy romp too, for example despite it being war-torn China, the women are super hot. Also if a super hot woman puts on a Japanese soldier's uniform she just stole literally nobody notices that suddenly there's a super hot woman in the guard detail now. Also there is always a properly felonious but super hot Japanese lady army or intelligence officer or something, and sometimes she'll have super hot ninja goons.

It's all spectacularly simplistic Chinese anti-Japanese propaganda (indeed sometimes the genre is called anti-Japanese) and sometimes it's anti-pre-communist China too (because if the Chinese media doesn't rewrite the Communists backstabbing the regular Chinese military into something heroic, who will?) but it swings wildly between being so bad it's funny and weirdly hot.

Anybody looking to pile into this particular weird rabbit hole, this series is typical of the sort of thing. There are probably offshoots into more traditional super-heroic stuff too, but I've only seen glimpses of that.

Lot of channels do clips and chop bits up and whatnot, so it's hard to tell what's a different series sometimes.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Released within the last 2 years from the Philippines. The movie is trash but stars former Ms. Universe Pia Wurtzbach as a superheroine.

shevek
Producer
Producer

That Revenger Squad costume is somewhat reminiscent of the old Filipino superheroine comedy movie Super B.

Ricky89
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

There was also a movie called “Bizli”, a movie from Bangladesh, sad there wasn’t a sequel

helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Ah Pia is so hot. I remember her from the funny (?) mishap at the Miss Universe final contest, they actually crowned the wrong girl, and then retracted when the other Miss had the crown already in her head, what an epic fail xD

For the other, I will never understand the long ballet/singing sessions on these look-a-like indian movies, but this looks great for me !
ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

Maybe we can made a list about movie/tv show based for Country and where we can see this shows.

There was also another pinoy show named Super Klenk, but sadly like Volta I can’t find episodes
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

You don't want to see Volta episodes, trust me... they're even worse than the movie (no wonder it lasted less than 10 episodes whereas a lot of Pinoy shows are at least 50, 100 or even more)

About Super Klenk, it will stay a kind of an utopia/legend, unless the copyright owners post that on youtube or something...
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

ricky1989 wrote:
4 years ago
five_red wrote:
4 years ago

R5
Where I can find this show? Dailymotion?
I'll see if I can upload a few clips of the action sequences at some point in the future.

R5
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Night Hawk 1x03 clip (sorry for the poor audio.)

R5
Last edited by five_red 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

Thanks
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Typhoon and Lightning Bolt

Ruby Princess from Panji Manusia Millenium

R5
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Typhoon and lightning bolt, makes it look like she is crashing a stoner pad.
Are those beer cozies on the belt of Ruby Princess?

Are any of these either on Amazon or Netflix?
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

sneakly wrote:
4 years ago
Typhoon and lightning bolt, makes it look like she is crashing a stoner pad.
Are those beer cozies on the belt of Ruby Princess?

Are any of these either on Amazon or Netflix?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... IC5si3uxav

Panji Manusia Millenium has been uploaded legitimately on YouTube by the show's owners. Ruby Princess appears as cameos from around episode 1x70 on, but is a main character in season two. Ignore episodes 2x02 to 2x05 as these are actually 1x02 to 1x05 uploaded in error (if anyone has the proper episodes, let me know.) Ruby's belt is like Batman's utility belt, where she keeps her explosive weapons.

R5
ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

Any new show in 2020?
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

ricky1989 wrote:
4 years ago
Any new show in 2020?

Four Guardian Gods is a new Thai show from December 2019. It is like the Fantastic Four, except the hero's powers are based on earth, wind, water and fire. The female heroine has the fire powers.

R5
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

If you enjoy, it helps if you visit YouTube and feed the algorithm with likes, comments, etc.

R5
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Really cool ! Maybe a little bit rushed in the end, i had to pause to read lol :D
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

five_red wrote:
4 years ago
ricky1989 wrote:
4 years ago
Any new show in 2020?

Four Guardian Gods is a new Thai show from December 2019. It is like the Fantastic Four, except the hero's powers are based on earth, wind, water and fire. The female heroine has the fire powers.

R5
Hope it is more entertaining and less preachy than Captain Planet
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

I don't think it's anything like CP (no way to understand with certainty anyway, due to language barrier), Thai shows are more about fantasy and mitology and local legends (snake women everywhere lol !) etc.

ps. Oh dear, the VFX are really awful...
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

helstar wrote:
3 years ago
I don't think it's anything like CP (no way to understand with certainty anyway, due to language barrier), Thai shows are more about fantasy and mitology and local legends (snake women everywhere lol !) etc.

ps. Oh dear, the VFX are really awful...
Which reminds me, Toei have just started a new YT channel for viewers outside of Japan, uploading most of their back catalogue. Now obviously Japanese heroines are a lot different to the standard American superhero, so probably not so popular here, but what is interesting is that they're talking about crowd-sourcing translated subtitles from fans. It is an interesting idea: make low resolution copies of your back catalogue free for fans outside of your home market -- in return you get the ad revenue, translated subtitles in various languages, and generate a bigger foreign fanbase so you can later sell high quality copies of the episodes on streaming services.

With new back-catalogue superheroine shows from around the world showing up on YT seemingly almost every month, we can but hope that Filipino broadcasters adopt the same model. It would be great to have proper English subs for Krystala, Darna 2005, or Super Ma'am.

R5
mangog3000
Elder Member
Elder Member

There was a sexy superheroine called "Tiazinha" on Brazilian TV starting in 1999.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... s+tiazinha

There were several knockouts and bondage scenes in the series.

I have recently put up several KO-Peril scenarios featuring the sexy Tiazinha at my Deviant Art page :

https://www.deviantart.com/gytalf2000
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

mangog3000 wrote:
3 years ago
There was a sexy superheroine called "Tiazinha" on Brazilian TV starting in 1999.

I have recently put up several KO-Peril scenarios featuring the sexy Tiazinha at my Deviant Art page :

Now this is a series I would have loved to watch. That scene where is (pretends to be) mind controlled and does a dance for the villains looks straight out of an erotic superheroine fetish film. :w00t:

Do you have a link of the scene where she's gassed. I can't seem to find it. :)

mangog3000
Elder Member
Elder Member

brdiy wrote:
3 years ago
mangog3000 wrote:
3 years ago

Now this is a series I would have loved to watch. That scene where is (pretends to be) mind controlled and does a dance for the villains looks straight out of an erotic superheroine fetish film. :w00t:

Do you have a link of the scene where she's gassed. I can't seem to find it. :)

Go to the 7:08 mark in this video :

brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

^Thanks! Found it. Not really a gassing scene, though it certainly looked like it for a while. :)

Mind control seems like a recurring theme here. I hope there's some way to see how this one played out.

shevek
Producer
Producer

Ricky89 wrote:
4 years ago
There was also a movie called “Bizli”, a movie from Bangladesh, sad there wasn’t a sequel

Didn't see this post before. "Bizli" is of course the same word as "Bijli" (power / energy / electricity) except in Bengali instead of Hindi.

The actress looks amazing. Unfortunately, unlike the Bijli TV show, there are multiple Bollywood dance numbers, and the heroine never wears an actual costume even though her female foe apparently does. Going to find a way to check this out, though, if I can!