Star Trek DS9

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

During the Dr Who two parter, they were promos for Star Trek DS9 starting Jan 20th.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
During the Dr Who two parter, they were promos for Star Trek DS9 starting Jan 20th.
I have always felt that Star Trek DS9 was an underrated series, that Star Trek TNG received all of the glory, publicity, and praise (justifiably so) while DS9 sort of quietly went it's own way somewhat under the radar. I was a big TNG fan as well, but what I particularly liked about DS9 was that it was structurally different in a lot of ways, with the storytelling, the tonality, and the portrayal of multilayered characters in the series was much different from TNG. Avery Brooks was excellent as Captain Sisko. First season was a little weak, but that was also certainly the case with TNG as well.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

ST:TNG had so much wasted potential the first few years. The first year the flawed episodes would have caused its cancellation if it hadn't had a built in audience of original series fans. It wasn't until the middle when they stopped doing shows based on original sees plots that it final took off.

DS9 started with original ideas and didn't try to mimic the original series. It developed its own style and stories. Even when they used characters from ST: TNG, they tried to do something different like with Q and
Vash visiting or going back in time to "The Trouble with Tribbles" episode.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Visitor wrote:
4 years ago
ST:TNG had so much wasted potential the first few years. The first year the flawed episodes would have caused its cancellation if it hadn't had a built in audience of original series fans. It wasn't until the middle when they stopped doing shows based on original sees plots that it final took off.

DS9 started with original ideas and didn't try to mimic the original series. It developed its own style and stories. Even when they used characters from ST: TNG, they tried to do something different like with Q and
Vash visiting or going back in time to "The Trouble with Tribbles" episode.
Sometimes it takes a while for a series to find its mojo. No doubt having that Star Trek brand name bought each series some time to find their footing and figure out their shows identity. I also think both shows being in syndication at the time alleviated to some extent the ratings pressures that would have existed had they aired on broadcast television at the time, (higher ratings threshold for a sustainable series) that both shows had time to fine tune their shows and build their fanbases. If either of these shows were on broadcast networks in that era they likely would not have survived to see a second season and any potential improvements. Perhaps a cable outlet such as Sci Fi could have been a viable alternative if not for TNG, but perhaps later on for DS9. I definitely enjoyed the darker tone of the DS9 series and how it differentiated itself from TNG.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
I have always felt that Star Trek DS9 was an underrated series, that Star Trek TNG received all of the glory, publicity, and praise (justifiably so) while DS9 sort of quietly went it's own way somewhat under the radar. I was a big TNG fan as well, but what I particularly liked about DS9 was that it was structurally different in a lot of ways, with the storytelling, the tonality, and the portrayal of multilayered characters in the series was much different from TNG. Avery Brooks was excellent as Captain Sisko. First season was a little weak, but that was also certainly the case with TNG as well.
Ds9 was the last truly great ST series, they were god things in the next two, but not the depth of stories and characters. not to mention you had 3 very accomplished actors in Brooks,Abedjous and Meany.

Yes the first season of TNG was very weak. Ds9 first season I did not think as much, from Emissary to the conclusion with Louise Fletcher
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
Ds9 was the last truly great ST series, they were god things in the next two, but not the depth of stories and characters. not to mention you had 3 very accomplished actors in Brooks,Abedjous and Meany.

Yes the first season of TNG was very weak. Ds9 first season I did not think as much, from Emissary to the conclusion with Louise Fletcher