Sony Fucks Disney Over Spiderman

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

This is fricking huge.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/20/2082 ... -feige-mcu

So having established Spiderman as essentially the new lead of the MCU, Disney have been told they can't use him any more by Sony.

And that seems to be that. Hell of a problem for the MCU to try to figure out from a writing perspective. :spidey:

On the one hand, this fucks the MCU, but on the other hand I can appreciate how funny that is, and also I mean, Disney have been due to wind their neck in for years now. They own almost everything, they're only a big run at some major video game developers away from becoming a cultural monopoly, and that's really not good. I mean I like a lot of their movies well enough but I'd like for there to be other movies too sometimes.

But yeah, kind of a big deal this I guess. Wonder what they'll do?
chase251
Henchman
Henchman

Crying shame, I liked these new movies with my man Spidey, hopefully Sony won't screw him up over this and have to reboot (again). Hella good timing sony!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

So many threads in Spiderman: Far from Home movie about him taking Iron Man's mantle as a key avenger, so many plans for Phase 4. Now they're toast. It sure feels like Sony just whacked the head off the golden goose that this franchise was on the verge of becoming. I guess he's back to being your friendly neighborhood Spiderman....without portfolio, so to speak. They'll have him fighting singular villains with no connection to the Marvel Universe. Good luck with that.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Dick move by Sony, for sure. All for the sake of wanting all the $$$. But can Spiderman be as profitable without the rest of the MCU to draw upon? I think not.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I might be wrong about Spiderman being "divorced" from the Marvel Universe. This article says that Sony actually owns the movie rights to about 900 Marvel comic characters that they purchased way before the Marvel Movie Universe got its start with Iron Man in 2004.

https://screenrant.com/sony-marvel-comi ... vie-rights

So this could be an interesting prize fight after all between Sony and Disney. Does Sony have some brilliant version of Kevin Feige? They'll need one...with great long term vision.

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Spiderman's got his own large and well developed group of foes that Sony can use, but it derails the build up in the MCU. Peopled liked the integration with Iron Man.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dunno if I'd say they fucked Disney? Disney is throwing it's weight around and sony's concerned. Essentially Sony does most of the legwork for the Spider-man films with some assistance from Marvel. They'd cut a deal that Sony received the bulk of the revenue from MCU Spider-man movies because he belongs to them and they are doing most of the production work.

SUDDENLY Disney is saying they want to split the profits 50/50 while changing nothing else about the original deal. Sony would still be doing most of the work, just taking a huge pay cut.

I'm not saying 'poor sony' here or anything, just that its a case of Big Dick Disney waving its enormous junk around because it basically owns the world and expects everything else to just cower in fear and take the shit end of the stick in order to appease the mouse eared overlords.

This is as much or MORE Disney's fault than it is Sony's. They were the aggressor of this little spat.
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

Nothing to do with Sony at all. Entirely Disney's fault.

Disney asked to have a 50/50 share with Sony, when Sony own the rights to Spiderman - absolutely obviously never going to happen.

Disney then tore up the contract when Sony made a counter offer - and threw a tantrum publically so MCU fanboys could plie on. This thread case in point.

It's a repeat of The Defenders cancellations on Netflix - Disney throwing their weight around, attempting to bully other studios. It just shows how they have zero appreciation for the fans.

Although this has been plainly evident for some time due to what they're doing to Starwars.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

This is what happens when you have so much media consolidation, you get this giant behemoth company such as Disney, and they can basically say a big FU to the fandom out there with no real fear of reprisal. I mean they will suffer in regards to the PR battle, but in essence they are basically untouchable, sort of unaccountable to the wants and needs of the fans of the Marvel universe.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Regarding media consolidation, it's worth remembering that without Disney and their messing with copyright law, Spiderman would be a public domain character very soon. A lot of the old superheroes would. Kind of a shame that they're not really, would be fun if everybody could take a whack at making a Spiderman movie like they do with Sherlock Holmes.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

It will be interesting to see how the live-Spiderverse and the MCU retcon each other out, and how mainstream audiences respond to such significant retconning.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I expect they just wont mention him again. Or maybe like they'll have someone go 'Hey should we call our friendly neighborhood..."

Then someone will interrupt like "No kids!"
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Just curious

Why is Disney involved with a Marvel character when Universal did the MCUs and promoted the characters in the theme park?
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Femina wrote:
4 years ago
I expect they just wont mention him again. Or maybe like they'll have someone go 'Hey should we call our friendly neighborhood..."

Then someone will interrupt like "No kids!"
They managed to get away with no Hulk for a while, but Hulk kind of likes his space so it kind of fits that he'd be absent, even for a long period.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

:spidey:

the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

I'm taking all of this drama with a grain of salt. It seems like negotiations are still ongoing, and all of this rhetoric from both sides is more jockeying for position than a final outcome.

Also, while I like Tom Holland as Spidey, Spider-Man: Homecoming was my second-to-least-favorite MCU movie, and that's only if you count The Incredible Hulk (2008). I did not see Far From Home, and probably won't.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Good news: after more negotiations and jockeying for position, Sony and Marvel have struck a deal to keep Spider-Man in the MCU for another movie:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/sony ... 203351489/
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

This is terrific news that Spiderman is remaining in the MCU for at least one more picture. Will the two companies be gun-shy and thus not weave the character as deeply into the web of intrigue that is the MCU though? (See what I did there?) Well, we have til 2021 to find out.

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

What deal did they make.... O.O I thought it was pretty much a done split!

Call me grumpy but I really hope Disney didn't get the better end of the deal.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Disney gets 25% and can keep the merchandising end in the new deal for the Spiderman sequel and an unnamed crossover movie appearance. At least we find out what Marvel had planned after the surprise ending of the last movie instead of another series reboot.

Not as much money as Disney demanded, but still a lot to keep them satisfied considering the last movie made over a billion dollars world wide.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!