Ultra (Image) [Luna Brothers]

shevek
Producer
Producer

Have you heard of the Luna Brothers? I hadn't. But then, I wasn't buying comics during the years where they first made their marks with three great original limited series: Ultra, Girls, and The Sword.

I randomly ran across Ultra (2004-05) while reading comics online. I saw the cover below, with its parody of celebrity magazines and the caption "The Private Life of a Superheroine" and was intrigued, thinking, "Well, there's probably going to be some sexiness in this." Boy was I right. But it's not the over-the-top fight-'em-all 90s bad girl kind. Ultra is more of a character study meets reality show.

The title character, Ultra, is Hispanic superheroine Pearl Penalosa. She forms a kind of "Sex and the City" superheroine girlfriend group with her friends Jen (Cowgirl) and Liv (Aphrodite). Jen and Pearl work for Heroine, Inc. and Liv works for Olympus, Inc. in a world where all superheroes have agents. Sure, they all do good deeds and save people, but the way they get paid is through their endorsements, and they receive their missions through the agency. Basically it's a world where superheroing is a job, like any other job, down to dressing up in costume in a locker room and taking lunch breaks.

But the difference between their jobs and normal humans' is that they are also mega-celebrities, in the news media all the time. They are relentlessly hounded by paparazzi, and every little detail of their lives, especially relationships, is analyzed. They become role models for their fans. So the comic is about how these heroines handle their mega-stardom. Every issue has "celebrity interviews" in the back, and ads that the heroines appear in. Mind you, this is over a decade before The Wicked and The Divine dealt with almost the exact same subject matter. (I think Powers had some concepts like this around the same time, though: Retro Girl had an agent, I believe). One of the most brilliant ideas is designing each comic cover so it parodies the front of a real pop-culture magazine (see below). I wonder if the artists who did all of those "Justice Magazine" covers (you know, sexy poses of DC & Marvel heroines on a fake magazine cover) were originally inspired by Ultra.

The story plays out a lot like a dramatic television show. Pearl is on a quest to find love, and she has her ups and downs with her friends and her co-worker rivals at the agency.
All the action happens within the course of one week, so the developments are intense.
Yes, there's plenty of combat action as well. And a lesbian subplot. Throughout, the art is fantastic and even, might I say, passionate to the point where it helps you feel the emotions of the characters. In fact, what I'm most sad about is that this only lasted eight issues and the Luna never developed this world further (their other later series at least went for 24 issues). Seems kind of a waste to one-off an idea this great.

So overall I would say this is one of the best superheroine comics I've ever read. I would recommend it unequivocally. And I'm going to try and also check out Girls, The Sword, and the more recent stuff the Luna Bros have done individually or with other creators. If you can still cop the TPB (I'm going to look for it this week) please do.

shevek
Producer
Producer

One very interesting thing is that Ultra was optioned for a TV show that never ran but did produce a pilot. They change the character so she's no longer Hispanic (luckily this was a few years before accusations of 'whitewashing' started coming from Tumblr regions) but instead she's a country hick who is super intelligent and lands in the big city, wide-eyed and full of dreams (and superpowers).

It starred Lena Headey who went on to superstardom as Cersei Lannister on Game of Thrones (which I've never watched - you gasp! but it's so sexy! well, I don't have cable) so you'll be familiar with her work. She is super hot in this.

Normally I would never post Youtube videos in the comic section, but I am going to violate every rule of decency and do so, because where else would it be more appropriate to place these if Ultra is only mentioned in this one thread anyway.

This guy Johann seems to be the only person who had the sense to preserve this obscure moment of 2000s TV history, out of worship for the lovely Ms. Headey, so please enjoy. Note that the quality isn't excellent but you can make everything out. It's in five parts.

Part 1 - Ultra TV pilot 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoaHoD13bk0&t=51s

Part 2 - Ultra TV pilot 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-DllEE-v9k

Part 3 - Ultra TV pilot 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1aEoJzj9Pc

Part 4- Ultra TV pilot 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plIi6mwwd8A

Part 5- Ultra TV pilot 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdegjGapUnA
Last edited by shevek 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:One very interesting thing is that Ultra was optioned for a TV show that never ran but did produce a pilot. They change the character so she's no longer Hispanic (luckily this was a few years before accusations of 'whitewashing' started coming from Tumblr regions) but instead she's a country hick who is super intelligent and lands in the big city, wide-eyed and full of dreams (and superpowers).

It starred Lena Headey who went on to superstardom as Cersei Lannister on Game of Thrones (which I've never watched - you gasp! but it's so sexy! well, I don't have cable) so you'll be familiar with her work. She is super hot in this.

Normally I would never post Youtube videos in the comic section, but I am going to violate every rule of decency and do so, because where else would it be more appropriate to place these if Ultra is only mentioned in this one thread anyway.

This guy Johann seems to be the only person who had the sense to preserve this obscure moment of 2000s TV history, out of worship for the lovely Ms. Headey, so please enjoy. Note that the quality isn't excellent but you can make everything out. It's in four parts.
Okay I have to ask, how is it 'lucky' this was a few years before whitewashing? I mean, you've written it right there in your second sentence. They change the character so she's no longer Hispanic but instead a country hick... this basically changes EVERYTHING about who the character is? This isn't really any better than making Spider-Man black... except its worse because it would have been like making PETER PARKER black and saying 'just role with it.' So either it's okay in one instance and not the other or it isn't... but there really shouldn't be a middle ground. Don't get me wrong, I hated them making Johnny Storm Black, but I hated equally the casting of Rhoony Mara as the Indian lady in that peter pan film.

It's just... everyone's idea of where it is acceptable to cast out of race/gender/whatever seems to be steeped in varying levels of personal hipocracy and very little to do with what they think is right or fair.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Whoa, hold on, Femina :)

I liked the fact that we mostly agreed on Marvel's terrible PC agenda, so let's backtrack here.

The reason that it's "lucky" that the TV version of Ultra happened before the advent of whitewash complaining (not that it matters much because the series never got picked up) is simply because WHO CARES ABOUT ANY OF THAT SHIT. The TV version also has a dark dude wearing a hat sitting around in her apartment telling her stuff, and that never happened in the comic, either.

Making Pearl white-trash instead of Hispanic didn't intrinsically change anything much. In fact, the TV show, in only one episode, offered more glimpses of her youth than eight issues of the comic did.

The Latina aspect of Pearl consisted mainly of her identifying as Latina a bit in interviews, and talking to her overbearing Latina mom on the phone. There was no background story in the comic of her coming up from the barrio or whatever. They didn't show her having a quincenera or eating any kind of Latin food or speaking Spanish. So the Latina identification wasn't immersive - it was superficial at best, and probably just a play at making the character seem diverse so the main characters weren't just three white chicks like Sex and the City.

Anyway, I'd rather this thread be about the comic book to be judged on its own merits. I think the comic is excellent. Read it for yourself (online if you must) and see.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Hey! I'm topping this thread about the Luna Brothers' Ultra comic because I just noticed that Comixology released it digitally, both with individual issues, and with the "Seven Days" TPB (which includes the whole Ultra series issues #1-8 plus some bonus stuff).
Here's the sales listing for it:
https://www.comixology.com/Ultra-Seven- ... omic/17269?

Also...in the meantime, I did acquire the entire 24-issue run of Girls - the comic that the Luna Brothers did which was about a bunch of alien horror girls that hatched out of eggs in a small town. Won't give away any of the details, but it's worth a look. Doesn't have any superheroines in in it, though.

If the premise of Ultra intrigues you, then buy the TPB. It's still one of the best pure superheroine stories of the past 20 years.
ultrasevendays.jpg
ultrasevendays.jpg (81.59 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

Found this randomly on Youtube.
Apparently the Luna Brothers produced this short ad to promote the hardcover release of Ultra "Seven Days" TPB in 2011.
The Ultra cosplayer looks good.

As far as the clips from the Ultra TV pilot above, the old links above don't work anymore, but they've been moved to a Lena Headey fan channel. Still poor quality but here they are.

Ultra Pilot Part 1

Ultra Pilot Part 2

Ultra Pilot Part 3

Ultra Pilot Part 4

Ultra Pilot Part 5