Captain Marvel news

General discussions about superheroines!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dogfish wrote:
5 years ago
I can understand folks being a little bit disappointed if it's not a brilliant film. The third phase of MCU movies have been the best now by far, Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok, Civil War, Infinity War, these are all among the best superhero flicks ever made, and Marvel was making it look like they could pop movies that good out at will. I mean Infinity War might not be the best movie ever made, in fact I'm fairly certain it isn't, but it's one of the hardest movies to get right, and they smashed it clean out of the park. When a movie studio can deliver something like that, and make it look like it isn't even really straining itself, then expectations get very high.
I'm expecting something in the region of Iron Man or Captain America, solid but a little safe.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

I expect something as good TO ME as Black Panther -- made with the POV of not-white-dudes (cool), technically solid (A-game)...

...but still ending up in the fight-in-a-safe-space all-greenscreen final conflict where most post-"Man of Steel" epics (and several before) have ended up, with all the satisfaction of store-brand diet caffeine-free soda and modern multiplex heatlamp popcorn.

The sterile third act stuff just bugs me. It bets everything on the tragedy of the villain's demise, and even with a great villain that's asking a lot; with a muddled villain, bah. I think I need to believe someone else seen in closeup at the final conflict does/could die.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
5 years ago
I can understand folks being a little bit disappointed if it's not a brilliant film. The third phase of MCU movies have been the best now by far, Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok, Civil War, Infinity War, these are all among the best superhero flicks ever made, and Marvel was making it look like they could pop movies that good out at will. I mean Infinity War might not be the best movie ever made, in fact I'm fairly certain it isn't, but it's one of the hardest movies to get right, and they smashed it clean out of the park. When a movie studio can deliver something like that, and make it look like it isn't even really straining itself, then expectations get very high.

Expectations change perceptions. If folks are expecting something as good as Black Panther or Infinity War, then they get something as good as maybe Aquaman, they're going to be disappointed. If folks are expecting something as bad as Justice League or Batman vs Superman and they get something as good as Aquaman, they're going to be overjoyed.

And if Captain Marvel falls a little short, fair enough. There's only one good Thor movie out of three, the Iron Man movies are bang average, Avengers 2 is not great and the Ant-Man movies are cute but sort of nothingburgers. The idea that the MCU fails because one movie isn't amazing is ridonkulous because there has already been maybe half a dozen bad MCU movies.
Disagree, for me

Batman vs Superman and Justice League were better than any of the Marvel movies other than the original X men
Bert

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Disagree, for me

Batman vs Superman and Justice League were better than any of the Marvel movies other than the original X men
:giggle:
Bert

Imagineer wrote:
5 years ago
I expect something as good TO ME as Black Panther -- made with the POV of not-white-dudes (cool), technically solid (A-game)...

...but still ending up in the fight-in-a-safe-space all-greenscreen final conflict where most post-"Man of Steel" epics (and several before) have ended up, with all the satisfaction of store-brand diet caffeine-free soda and modern multiplex heatlamp popcorn.

The sterile third act stuff just bugs me. It bets everything on the tragedy of the villain's demise, and even with a great villain that's asking a lot; with a muddled villain, bah. I think I need to believe someone else seen in closeup at the final conflict does/could die.
I totally agree. Big dollar filmmaking is so faddish and so formulaic. There's a template that MUST be followed. Sometimes the result can still be good despite the limitations. The first Guardians of the Galaxy movie, Whedon's Avengers, Wonder Woman to some extent, they managed to achieve something memorable from within the confines of the oppressive rule book. Amazingly, even when a movie manages to rise above its confining formula, the inevitable sequel can still be squashed by it. After the great success of the first Avengers movie, Whedon faced more restrictions on the second one and the film suffered for it. Guardians 2 was a mess. I don't know if excessive control was a factor in that one, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

The best example I know of regarding faddishness is The Bourne Identity. Doug Liman is a brilliant director and he made excellent use of hand held cameras to create a dynamic feel in that film. Subsequent films were directed by Paul Greengrass, who tried and failed badly at recreating the effect. For some reason, despite the tremendously annoying effect of bad "shakycam" filming, the technique took over. It's now rare to see decent action sequences that aren't either unwatchably shaky or so rapid cut that you can barely tell what's happening.

The Superhero flick reliance on CGI third acts goes back to Hellboy I think. Wherever it started, studios are now totally locked into that template. Maybe execs are heavily monetarily invested in the CGI houses? I dunno, but the results are so often boring and predictable. It's much more about what they can do, versus what they should.

Okay, rant off. Oh, wait - I forgot, it's all the fault of sixth wave Nazi femno-SJW snowflake Becky Sues. Phew. Would have been embarrassing to leave that out.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

New York Post panned it

https://nypost.com/2019/03/05/captain-m ... hero-slog/

Captain/Ms Marvel is not an iconic character and that is a problem.

Wonder Woman is, Bat Girl is but except in teams, Marvel has never had that iconic female superheroine
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bert wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Disagree, for me

Must admit I lost it at that too. :giggle:
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

Wonder Woman is, Bat Girl is but except in teams, Marvel has never had that iconic female superheroine
The whole Marvel universe is built on showing the audience somebody they dont know.

Sony, DC and fox are stuck recycling things into worse versions of themselves.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

The whole Marvel universe is built on showing the audience somebody they dont know.

Sony, DC and fox are stuck recycling things into worse versions of themselves.
I will admidt that Keaton's Batman and Wayne are better than Affleck and Bale's

But D.C is better than Marvel for me.

And except for Downey's Tony Stark and Johanssen's Widow and chilkas Thing none of them work from Marvel
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Bert --

I don't mind what you call faddish and formulaic so much, in general.

First, never forget Sturgeon's law, "ninety percent of everything is crap." (The emphasis on everything is important, because the point of the law is to remind us that specific examples of terribleness can be used to criticize anything done in volume, because most of the volume of any human endeavor is not being done by the best of us, and greatness is hard.)

So sure, there's some mediocrity in the comic book movie space, but I try to cut the flicks a break because I want to be entertained by them.

Second, formulas aka tropes exist because they generally work and people usually like them.

So my complaint was more specific, pointed at a third-act formula that I'm having trouble cutting these flicks a break for. In the end I'm still entertained, but more and more disappointed with each revisit of the formula, because the neatness of hero-vs-complementary-villain in a safe-space-for-fighting all-greenscreen battle divorces me from the stakes and makes it too unreal in the same way each time. Their epic therefore necessarily at-a-distance scope illustrated by anything-can-be-rendered CGI when combined with offscreen stakes makes them emotionally cheap in a way that leaves me cold and disappoints me.

I really do think it's as simple as needing someone I can see up close other than the villain being legitimately in danger -- and the more successful the heroes are each time out at safely evacuating bystanders the more plot armor they build for those bystanders and the less effective they are, but flicks that don't even bother to show some stakes or some immediately-meaningful collateral damage seem behind the curve and firmly in the bottom third of that 90%.

BTW, Paul Greengrass didn't inherit shakycam from Doug Liman. The spread of shakycam specifically as an action shooting style (especially fighting) is in part because it hides flaws in action choreography. You can make an aging Liam Neeson look like a badass a lot more easily if you don't step back and watch the fight as a spectator. The technique will probably never go away entirely for that reason.

And third-act isolation is as old as the hills -- it's the "big action set piece" whenever that takes place in a "remote" location for which we have no frame of reference. James Bond kind of demands it -- the villain's lair. The trope is just particularly shopworn, for me at least, with superhero flicks. Iron Man 3, ugh. Suicide Squad and Justice League's faking of civilian stakes was so lame. And even my beloved Winter Soldier went there when they reduced the stakes to a single super-zoom-out shot from an individual murdercarrier target. --And I think the backlash to Man of Steel amplified the problem.

-----
Dazzle1, how ecstatic are you that you found a negative review? Can we look forward to you posting every one you can find to prove your culture war against whatever is justified?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Imageneer

I am just pointing out the fact that this movie despite the push from the left has not been well recieved.

You have a problem that someone dares to say Marvel movies are bad? and that Brie Larsen is a jerk?

Listen to her interviews.
Bert

@Imagineer

Yikes! I'm trying to imagine what your reply would have looked like if I hadn't completely agreed with you! :cool2:
Bert

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Imageneer

I am just pointing out the fact that this movie despite the push from the left has not been well recieved.

You have a problem that someone dares to say Marvel movies are bad? and that Brie Larsen is a jerk?

Well, someone is a jerk...
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Now, lads!! Back to your corners. Take a breath, spit in a bucket. And go actually watch the movie and present your reviews. And play nice. Don't make me mad. You wouldn't like me when I'm mad.

:bh:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Bert wrote:
5 years ago
Yikes! I'm trying to imagine what your reply would have looked like if I hadn't completely agreed with you! :cool2:
Well, you said a lot more than "I totally agree" -- you're making a broader point that blockbusters follow fads and formulas, and within that, that superhero flicks have a template, an oppressive rule book, a confining formula, excessive control... and I wouldn't go that far. I particularly don't agree with your characterizations of particular films -- and that's okay, and we don't need to get into the details today or at all necessarily; you're covering a lot of ground.

And I'm no fan of shakycam, but if we understand its utility as well as its aesthetics, it explains why we see so much of it and will continue to do so.

Somewhat related: the searching-camera technique and lens-flares of Zack Snyder and JJ Abrams fall into a similar aesthetic, calling attention to the camera operator as an active, not passive, observer, reflecting the democratization of film from affordable cameras and YouTube and smartphones.

But we're getting far afield of Captain Marvel now, especially having not seen it yet.

I'm sure we'll have more discussions about how these films are made -- the movie business is fascinating.
Bert

Just teasing, Imagineer.
Bert

DrDominator9 wrote:
5 years ago
Now, lads!! Back to your corners. Take a breath, spit in a bucket. And go actually watch the movie and present your reviews. And play nice. Don't make me mad. You wouldn't like me when I'm mad.

Not vague enough? :blush: Sorry, skipper.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
You have a problem that someone dares to say ...that Brie Larsen is a jerk?

Okay

Doesn't strike me as overly jerky

Are you sure you don't just need a course of haemarroid cream or something Dazzle?
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago

Her interviews are great. Brie's interviews are fun, thoughtful... We can tell you're jealous of her. Jealous of her talent, her kindness, her consideration of others, her work ethic, her salary level, her free spirit, her accomplishments, ongoing success, and bright future

I'm sorry the manbabies see their future as bleak, sad, dismal, and have adopted woe-is-us as their motto.

It's not easy to understand manbabyness. The complaining on and on for weeks, months, years. A lady says words, manbabies misinterpret them, and are then so self-butthurt, self-offended, crushed, and lamenting obsessively on social media. It really is sad and bizarre. Actual 3 to 5 year olds don't groan on for so long.

One thing an actual jerk does is spell people's names wrong. This can be cause of spite, rudeness or tiny brain capacity. Or could be you know your comments are really about a manbaby invented strawlady that doesn't exist, and so the name spelling doesn't matter to you, cause you know, it's manbaby inspired fake news.
Dazzle1 wrote: Captain/Ms Marvel is not an iconic character and that is a problem.

Nope, not a problem. Wasn't a problem for Black Panther. Wasn't a problem for Star Wars. Darth Vader, Luke, Han, Leia, all of them unknown, until Star Wars came out in 1977. Then they were Stars!

Who's Bat Girl? You mean Batgirl?! Can't spell fictional character's names right either!
Dazzle1 wrote: New York Post panned it

I am just pointing out the fact that this movie despite the push from the left has not been well received.
Nope, not a fact. It has been well received by the majority that have seen it and reported on it. It doesn't have to be 100% amazing to be well received.

No push from the left. And despite the right leaning manbaby attempts, no effective push from the right either. Real reviews not affected. Fake manbaby reviews don't count.

Oh look, you cherry picked a overly bad review! Huge surprise there! Anyway, one review is meaningless. Anyone can link to a review that DOES or DOESN'T pan it, or comes in somewhere in the middle. Here are some...

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2019/03/ ... ew/210441/

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/movie-r ... =feed-full

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainm ... rd-roeper/

Good as it is, Wonder Woman had some reviewers pan it. And it had many more good reviews. Put them all together and we have the consensus that WW is really good.

What informs is consensus. Here, let's look at how 'well received.' the consensus is...

Captain Marvel (84%, 6.96/10 avg, fresh as in pretty good)
Captain Marvel t-meter 030619.png
Captain Marvel t-meter 030619.png (182.73 KiB) Viewed 4989 times
Wonder Woman (93%, 7.64/10 avg, fresh as in really good)
Wonder Woman tmeter 030619.png
Wonder Woman tmeter 030619.png (145.06 KiB) Viewed 4989 times
Batman v Superman (27%, 4.94/10 avg, rotten as in to the core, terrible)
Batman v Superman tmeter 030619.png
Batman v Superman tmeter 030619.png (159.18 KiB) Viewed 4989 times
Justice League (40%, 5.25/10 avg, rotten as in smells like meh)
Justice League tmeter 030619.png
Justice League tmeter 030619.png (177.41 KiB) Viewed 4989 times
CM clearly well received by consensus. Am looking forward to seeing it this opening weekend.

Wonder Woman may well be better. I really liked it. Won't take anything away from CM.

The 'rotten' consensus for JL and BvS makes sense. BvS and JL were shit movies. I pretty much agree with the consensus. (Liked the cast in both, but the movies were crap.) Maybe JL is somewhat better, not so much shit as it was meh, lame, boring, unlike the fantastic first Avengers movie and Avengers Infinity War.

I heard that the people who saw the premieres for BvS saw a cut that was about 30 minutes longer than the version the rest of us saw. They seem to like the long version somewhat better. Wish I coulda seen that one, and not the incoherent mess that shoulda been way better shovelled to the rest of us.

But Dazzle1, definitely stay home. You won't like it. Wait for Shazam, just one more month away. Then skip Avengers Endgame cause Captain Marvel is in it. Then some more Marvel movies, you should skip those to. Then Joker movie in October, you'll like that, I'll be skipping that one. Next year looks pretty good for DC tho. I'll be seeing WW 1984 in theater. Good times.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Jesus guys lets rise above pulling up people on 'spelling' for putting a space in Batgirl FFS.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

https://news.yahoo.com/apos-captain-mar ... 11517.html

Partial explanation for Brie Larson's acting since she was on Benadryl for the whole film. :)
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
Jesus guys lets rise above pulling up people on 'spelling' for putting a space in Batgirl FFS.
.... Much as I hate it when I witness arguments made against me with typos.....

Tallyho is spot on folks 'You misspelled Their' Isn't actually an argument and doesn't mean 'you've won' :P
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

When the attacks don't elevate above invoking broad caricatures, criticism of spelling seems like the deserved level of response.

--Seven pages in, just quibbles of manbabies vs manhaters.
Last edited by Imagineer 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Well in 2.5 hours I'll be seeing this, do we want a heavily biased report back?
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
I know a lot of people who would like to fit a "space" in Batgirl......😀
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
That part was an aside, in jest.

Getting fictional characters names wrong by accident is not a big deal. If out of spite would be a little different but not by much. Spelling real people's names wrong out of spite is entirely different.

Backstory is: he spelled Larson's name wrong before, with e instead of o. I asked him to spell it right, and showed how to spell it right. But out of spite or rudeness or whatever, he spelled it wrong again on purpose. Goes to his lack of character and blind hatred of manbaby invented strawlady.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The man from hell monte he say "fuvking aye!"

And, easter egg, 2 decent scenes of SHIP!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

DrDominator9 wrote:
5 years ago

Mad...calm...I don't like you much either way.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

You criticize an actress bad attitude and the pitchforks come out
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
She doesn't have a bad attitude, that's just you lying ala Trump, and pointing your lies out is not pitchforks coming out.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
The man from hell monte he say "fuvking aye!"

And, easter egg, 2 decent scenes of SHIP!
Thanks for the info. Seeing CM tonight.

:lynda1: :ss:
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Saw it tonight and it was decent, but nothing to write home about. It definitely drags at times. Part of my problem though is I'm a bit of a Ms. Marvel purist and I absolute hate the way they are just going with Captain Marvel here as her "origin" and basically taking a dump all over the source material for the kind of character they could have had Carol be in this universe. Entertaining movie though with some nice nostalgic nods to the 90s. Brie did a decent job with what she had to work with and I realized tonight that she was the "heroine" from the most recent King Kong movie, had no idea that was her, lol
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

I saw it tonight. Good movie, and although I'll probably won't see it again in theaters but I'll definitely pick up the Blu-Ray whenever it comes out later this year. It's got two peril scenes so I was very happy. I'd give it a B+. Worth watching in the theater, and worth picking up to own for anyone's collection.

It was WAY better than Aquafag. I regretted seeing that movie as soon as I saw the octupi playing percussion.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
She doesn't have a bad attitude, that's just you lying ala Trump, and pointing your lies out is not pitchforks coming out.
Go to Facebook for your TDS problem
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Go to Facebook for your TDS problem
I'd rather point out your lies and your many problems.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

OK FIRST RULE OF THE FORUM GUYS BE RESPECTFUL TOWARDS EACH OTHER

Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

But only to each other? We have to let aspersions cast on everyone else just go? Are we really tone-policing responses to deliberately-insulting labels but not the original use of those labels?
flirty_but_nice
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I saw the movie last night. I thought it was fantastic! Especially loved all of the Agents of Shield tie-ins. The soundtrack was superb!
xoxo
Jenn (aka Flirty)
shevek
Producer
Producer

Rotten Tomatoes had 58,000 audience reviews that averaged 34%, the lowest of any Marvel movie ever.
Then the website mysteriously deleted 54,000 of those reviews, leaving just over 4,000. But the average only went up to 36%.
Then the total number of reviews over the past few hours went up from 4,000 to 10,000...and the average went back down to 34%.
My prediction: it's going to go lower and possibly hit the 27% that it did when the Want to See average was at its lowest.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

That sounds like a lot of man-babies flooded the site with bad karma. I can't believe that many people disliked it so much. I may be seeing it tonight.

theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
5 years ago
That sounds like a lot of man-babies flooded the site with bad karma. I can't believe that many people disliked it so much. I may be seeing it tonight.
Yep, 50% diff between critics and audience, especially audience on the downside, is the manbabies dishonesty campaign in full force. I wonder if there's any other movie at RT that has a discrepancy like that.

Manbabies won't affect box office any. Still looking at $100Mil+.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
Rotten Tomatoes had 58,000 audience reviews that averaged 34%, the lowest of any Marvel movie ever.
Then the website mysteriously deleted 54,000 of those reviews, leaving just over 4,000. But the average only went up to 36%.
Then the total number of reviews over the past few hours went up from 4,000 to 10,000...and the average went back down to 34%.
My prediction: it's going to go lower and possibly hit the 27% that it did when the Want to See average was at its lowest.
Manbabies out in force. Kind of expected.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
5 years ago
shevek wrote:
5 years ago
It goes back to my original point, why the censorship of views?
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
5 years ago
shevek wrote:
5 years ago
Because the views have no value. Most of them will be duplicate accounts and many of them will simply be posting in bad faith.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
5 years ago
shevek wrote:
5 years ago
It's NOT censorship of views. It's blocking the manbabies fake news campaign.

RT's platform is for real audience goers, who ACTUALLY SEE a movie and chime in on what they thought of it. To honestly report actual audience views.

manbabies are playing a hate game: joining RT, giving low ratings to a movie they didn't see. cause they're a group of self-butthurt losers. Their intent is to game the system, and misinform others. They want to skew and fake RT's audience score.

Actual views shouldn't be censored. manbaby lies and propaganda should be. Unfortunately, I imagine RT won't be entirely successful at this. Fortunately, word of mouth and other press will keep CM at a 100+ million opening weekend still. Based on research, I'm guessing 130 to 155 million opening weekend.

The theater I saw it at was packed. They (we) cheered the movie. Mostly college age men and women. A few older folks (like me). While the women hating manbabies try to fart a bunch of dishonest noise, I'm not worried about the movie. It'll do fine.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
Whaaaa? You mean a sustained effort by sexist assholes to trash a film before it came out CONTINUED after it actually came out!?!?!? Heresy!
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Not quite sure about the Rotten Tomatoes situation as far as assessing the validity of the user critics. How is the conclusion that the bad ratings are all fake? I guess the site can figure out which reviews are bots?
I haven't seen the movie--I'm planning on it but waiting to avoid the annoying crowds who seem to feel the need to check their phones throughout the movie. My feeling is that the professional critics may be prejudiced in favor of it, much like it seems critics were supposed to love Black Panther as so much more than a superhero movie (I was amused that it was up for an Academy Award for Best Picture). Black Panther entertained me as a typical superhero movie. The script was fairly predictable and the action was good--typical of any quality superhero movie. My feeling was that the elevation of the movie to a Best Picture status was a pandering to and condescension towards African-Americans (I could only imagine Spike Lee's comments should he have lost to Black Panther instead of The Green Book, as the criticism for The Green Book was harsh enough).
My thought is that critics are now pandering to women by praising the movie more than it might be worth because of it being a sort of benchmark for female heroine films (Ignoring 1984's Supergirl and the recent Wonder Woman to name a few). It feels as though the backlash comes from the so-called "manbabies" (are there "womanbabies" or is this a single-gender type of behavior?), who are giving unfair criticism for reasons ascribed to them by people here, and from people who are tired of condescending praise for less than legitimate reason. The accurate praise and criticism I hope will come after the movie has been out for some time and people can draw conclusions based on unbiased viewership (if that's possible).
I have no horse in this race, but I do find the discussion interesting and I enjoy throwing out my two cents every so often.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

The actual critic reviews aren't that glowing. Sure, some glow, but plenty paint it as merely good, and some call it mediocre. Don't be fooled by summary percentages -- or at least remember what the percentage is: not a score of the movie's quality, but the percentage of reviews that are more favorable than unfavorable. That's it. If 90% of the critics write reviews that can be distilled to a barely 3 out of 5 stars rating and 10% say it's crap, then the movie is 90% fresh. If 90% of the critics say it's damn near perfect and 10% say it's a little too flawed to recommend... same 90% fresh.

As for Rotten Tomatoes' dumping of suspected troll reviews, none of us know exactly what they're doing to separate wheat from chaff. But once a campaign forms that's focused on "getting out the vote" to achieve the lowest possible score, it taints all negative reviews. Call RT's response the Streisand Effect of negative campaigning.

Movies that promote a social agenda, even movies whose mere existence promotes a social agenda, will get a break from critics who believe in that social agenda. But if you read actual reviews and not just surf scores, you'll find the elements of criticism that matter to you and form your own composite impression of whether or not you'll enjoy the movie. As for the merits of the film in the annals of film history, that'll take longer to form, and it'll still require the same filtration process according to your values.

And the merits of a film have f-all to do with the Academy, which is just a different special interest group with its own agenda. Black Panther got a nomination because it's significant, and because the Academy and the film industry has been taking heat for being out of touch in more ways than one.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

No Spoilers!!!

I saw Captain Marvel tonight and found it very entertaining. It's not the best Marvel film by a long shot but it's solid entertainment and well worth the money I thought. All the pre-film opening nonsense about Brie not smiling in the trailers was a tempest in a teacup. She was excellent in the role and should be a strong character throughout the next slate of Marvel movies to come in the upcoming years. There's typical Marvel comedy throughout and, I felt, excellent effects, plot, writing and acting. Go see it, enjoy it and draw your own conclusions.

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
5 years ago
shevek wrote:
5 years ago
Because the views have no value. Most of them will be duplicate accounts and many of them will simply be posting in bad faith.
How do you know this? the same claim is made regarding Discovery,Star Wars and DR and this was the Calpadli era as well as Whittaker
It seems people have a problem with different views.

Many years ago, Colin Baker was with Tom Baker at a fan convention. He honestly though all the Peri hate was manufactured. He was honestly suprised when told Americans hated Peri's valley girl talk and stupidity.