Captain Marvel news

General discussions about superheroines!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I know any thread about Captain Marvel sends the gammons of this here parish into spasms of apoplexy but I'll risk it;

1. For Brie Larsson teasing some film news or maybe even a trailer https://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/2018/0 ... nt-weekly/

2. I'll put this medicinal Captain Marvel defeated image as a sort of methodone to take the edge off.
captain_marvel_by_creativore-dbk8kzl.jpg
captain_marvel_by_creativore-dbk8kzl.jpg (211.02 KiB) Viewed 6865 times
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Captain Marvel sidesteps the traditional origin-story template, and when it begins, Carol already has her powers. She’s left her earthly life behind to join an elite Kree military team called Starforce, led by Jude Law’s enigmatic commander.

But before long, Carol finds herself back on Earth with new questions about her past. And she’s got a formidable enemy in the form of the Skrulls — the notorious Marvel baddies made all the more dangerous by their shape-shifting abilities. Ben Mendelsohn plays their leader Talos, who spearheads a Skrull invasion of Earth.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DmV8AgBVAAELIio.jpeg
DmV8AgBVAAELIio.jpeg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 6849 times
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ZERO origin story eh? I hope there's at least a flashback or two... That's really all they needed with Starlord afterall.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

At least Marvel is skipping the possibility of endless origin movies every decade.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

seems it's an origin story in the vein of "soldier to hero" kind of thing

not entirely sold on these skrulls but I guess they are meant to be shapeshifters

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

better shot of Ronan

Blx
Elder Member
Elder Member

Hot as fuck, imma be real
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

As long as they have a superheroine who kicks ass up and down the turnpike and gives zero fucks about what the guys say and do, I'm there on opening night. We sorely need more action heroes who are women. I just got back from watching Jason Statham trying to kill a 60-foot great white shark with nothing but his attitude and a shit-ton of testosterone. It was truly disappointing.

Anything is better than the entitled white male action hero right now, I swear.
kendra
Henchman
Henchman

Maybe? Idk, her look is not inspiring me...
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Shakeshift wrote:
5 years ago
As long as they have a superheroine who kicks ass up and down the turnpike and gives zero fucks about what the guys say and do, I'm there on opening night. We sorely need more action heroes who are women. I just got back from watching Jason Statham trying to kill a 60-foot great white shark with nothing but his attitude and a shit-ton of testosterone. It was truly disappointing.

Anything is better than the entitled white male action hero right now, I swear.
I took it as just an entertaining summer popcorn flick/shark movie...and in all honesty as someone who reads the book series the film was based on, Statham was a shoe-in to play the book's main character, as they both have very similar mannerisms and Statham was actually a pretty damned good diver in real life. Not sure where the entitlement comes from. *shrug*
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It's funny cause I love her in every picture EXCEPT that magazine cover. It's a bad pose with a weird mugshot. Dunno who picked it.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Agreed, she looks great in the images, especially in costume, but there's something off about the cover, maybe too much editing/photoshop?
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

RedMountain wrote:
5 years ago
Agreed, she looks great in the images, especially in costume, but there's something off about the cover, maybe too much editing/photoshop?
CERTAINLY to much. Those photoshoppers on magazines are all crazy people.
Night_Lantern
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I think she looks great and I’m very excited for this movie!
wondergirlsupragirl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Wow, Brie is gorgeous in costume! Can't wait to see her being bold and full of confidence in some fight action scenes! :yahoo:
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The plot points sound encouraging too
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman

lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
looks like my xcom team..
kendra
Henchman
Henchman

Kinda wish more of the women would get in shape closer to what is needed though. Cavill gets jacked and I know women can't get to looking like the comic version but something more like Hamilton in T2 would be great.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bugger T2, Emily Blunt in edge of tomorrow looks like she could tear sheet metal with her bare hands
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
better shot of Ronan

In this scene, Ronan has been discovered by Velma, that meddling kid.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

MightyHypnotic wrote:
5 years ago

In this scene, Ronan has been discovered by Velma, that meddling kid.
"I would have gotten away with Galactic conquest too if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

dang, for a minute I thought it was the REAL trailer. Still waitin.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

not sure how legit but

Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well that looked like it has some quality n polish to it ...
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

talk about a teaser
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

She looks about as enthusiastic as all the women I've ever dated.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

I liked the use of Blockbuster Video as a visual cue for "We're in the 90's now."
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Lurkndog wrote:
5 years ago
I liked the use of Blockbuster Video as a visual cue for "We're in the 90's now."
Yeah. They've become to the 90s what the Eiffel Tower is to scenes in Paris.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I wonder if they had to make their own or use one of the last before it closed?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Theres one in Oregon I think still going - as 'The Last' its had a new lease of life apparently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45175194
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Looks good. I'll say that Brie didn't sound all that... emotive in most of the dialogue she had in the trailer her... but a lot of it sounds like its probably from the same scene or so. It seems like there's an element of 'kidnapped astronaut, brainwashed' so if she's just 'a soldier with no past' for awhile it makes sense if she'd be sort of distant and aloof and maybe come more 'into' herself as she regained more of her past (there even seems to be a difference in her energy blasts as sort of greenish blue 'cold?' in the green costume before being more plasma/fire in the main costume at the end.

Action looks good, effects look good. Looks like we'll be getting a nick fury origin at the same time. I'm pleased enough with this trailer.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
It seems like there's an element of 'kidnapped astronaut, brainwashed' so if she's just 'a soldier with no past' for awhile it makes sense if she'd be sort of distant and aloof and maybe come more 'into' herself as she regained more of her past
It hadn't dawned on me but I guess that that is a bit of a call back to her losing her memories in the comics
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
Femina wrote:
5 years ago
It seems like there's an element of 'kidnapped astronaut, brainwashed' so if she's just 'a soldier with no past' for awhile it makes sense if she'd be sort of distant and aloof and maybe come more 'into' herself as she regained more of her past
It hadn't dawned on me but I guess that that is a bit of a call back to her losing her memories in the comics
Yeah, could be a lot of the first act is just her being really confused about Earth, causing flashbacks and only steadily 'reclaiming' an identity... the trailer is really selling the 'who am I' storarc, right down to that really neat shot of her 'standing up' starting as a little kid on the ground to full captain marvel once she's stood all the way up... in that essence it may very well be that she's SUPPOSED to be sort of a blank slate until the slate starts to be revealed?
Damselbinder

On the one hand, I'm glad we've got an MCU hero who's not a funny wisecracker. Even T'Challah couldn't escape that completely.

On the other hand...well, she seems a bit checked out, performance-wise. Not a lot of charisma. Jude Law's Mar-Vell put across a tonne of character with just one look. I'm gettin' nothing from Brie.

As for the memories thing, I think it'd be rather fun if the memories were fake - she's not human at all.
Bugsy44
Henchman
Henchman

Trailer looked cool!

Brie is solid! Very much looking forward to seeing it!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Yes I agree she did look as if she was dialling in that performance in the clip, but as said above by others perhaps there is a reason behind it.
Doesn't grab me hugely at the moment though Sam L is always worth a look
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Thing to remember with teaser trailers is they probably don't have much movie to work with. There's still a hell of a lot of post production to do.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The trailers effects and action look promising as hell. We don't see a lot of it, but that 'outer space flyby' with the whole 'space team' was cool, and that camera trick they did when she flipped up onto the bus was an acrobatic feat I'd expect in a spider-man film? That's one of the things that makes Carol so dangerous, she isn't JUST super strong and super tough, she also has combat training!
Night_Lantern
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Looks great! Also just had to go and grab these images from the trailer. For research purposes of course.
AE1D82D4-6410-4AAD-9185-B63227DA8569.png
AE1D82D4-6410-4AAD-9185-B63227DA8569.png (1011.59 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
DD8F1BAD-2324-4268-8F9D-21EE052EFFBC.jpeg
DD8F1BAD-2324-4268-8F9D-21EE052EFFBC.jpeg (343.58 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
E22ED000-1D16-4B21-9A37-4C075FD0BBCD.png
E22ED000-1D16-4B21-9A37-4C075FD0BBCD.png (538.28 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
Looks like a little peril is in store for our newest babe in tights. Can’t wait to see her in action!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Her head is being electrocuted and she has exactly the same blank, dull expression.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
5 years ago
Her head is being electrocuted and she has exactly the same blank, dull expression.
Probably not electrocuted actually. That's probably the mind altering device.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
Maybe, but she's in her Captain Marvel costume, not the blue one she's wearing when she crashes into the Blockbuster.

The trailer makes it seem like she gets that costume halfway through the picture.

If she was brainwashed before crash-landing on Earth, you'd think she would be wearing the older costume.

Though it's possible she starts out as Captain Marvel, gets brainwiped, and they put her in a generic spacecop uniform before dumping her on Earth, and she has to get back to being Captain Marvel again. Who knows?
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Lurkndog wrote:
5 years ago
Femina wrote:
5 years ago
Maybe, but she's in her Captain Marvel costume, not the blue one she's wearing when she crashes into the Blockbuster.

The trailer makes it seem like she gets that costume halfway through the picture.

If she was brainwashed before crash-landing on Earth, you'd think she would be wearing the older costume.

Though it's possible she starts out as Captain Marvel, gets brainwiped, and they put her in a generic spacecop uniform before dumping her on Earth, and she has to get back to being Captain Marvel again. Who knows?
That's debatable? The lighting in the scene makes it hard to tell what color her costume is, I think the light caused by the beams may be reflecting a color that 'looks' like her regular colors off the Star Force uniform as a sort of foreshadowing.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I saw the preview , I am not impressed. But then I think most Marvel movies are poor