shipfilmdb.com

General discussions about superheroines!
HeroineFall84
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Greetings all,

Our SHiP genre has exceeded in size, film quality, and community over the past ten years. Along with this growth I noticed record keeping becoming muddy. Many reviews house broken links to SHG-Media's old system, some films are no longer for sale, and what was that actress's name again?

A solution to these issues would be an IMDB style website exclusive to SHiP films. If it already exists, I missed it. If it doesn't, I intend to create it—domain already purchased.

What I hope to accomplish is a website archiving film details such as: release dates, producers, directors, cast members, ratings, and more. Each film will have its own page complete with cover (if available), screen shots, trailer (if available), and synopsis. Users can search by the above details or by film content.

Down the road I'll create film reviews and further features, but will start with the fundamentals. I see many future possibilities with this recourse. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Wow, this is a really great idea, but monumental in task size. Insanely huge, really, considering not just all the current websites but the ones that are defunct, and all the stuff that comes out on a regular basis from C4S and other sources. I would admire anyone's dedication who commits to this. I assume this would go back as far as humanly possible, and that it would also include some of the largest catalogs (without bias).

I, for one, would be more than happy to send you any information necessary on the Heroineburgh output (10 episodes so far). Just send me a PM with your email.
HeroineFall84
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

shevek wrote:
6 years ago
Wow, this is a really great idea, but monumental in task size. Insanely huge, really, considering not just all the current websites but the ones that are defunct, and all the stuff that comes out on a regular basis from C4S and other sources. I would admire anyone's dedication who commits to this. I assume this would go back as far as humanly possible, and that it would also include some of the largest catalogs (without bias).

I, for one, would be more than happy to send you any information necessary on the Heroineburgh output (10 episodes so far). Just send me a PM with your email.
It will be MASSIVE, to be sure. But, if we work together something amazing will come of it! I will send you my email!
HeroineFall84
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

MightyHypnotic wrote:
6 years ago
Its a great idea.. Maybe we should do it here, since we already have a pretty big archive....
That's doable, for sure. I'm currently coding the engine for the system. How would you integrate it? Sub-domain?
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

One thing to be wary of is 'outing' models who are still in the business but no longer wish to be known by a previous name. Such as Reya Fett, who appeared in many producers' videos under another name.

Would it be possible to consolidate a performer's past works under a single (current) moniker?
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

HeroineFall84 wrote:
6 years ago
MightyHypnotic wrote:
6 years ago
Its a great idea.. Maybe we should do it here, since we already have a pretty big archive....
That's doable, for sure. I'm currently coding the engine for the system. How would you integrate it? Sub-domain?
That's definitely one way. We can discuss it for sure. Shoot me a PM when you get a chance.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Heroine Addict wrote:
5 years ago
One thing to be wary of is 'outing' models who are still in the business but no longer wish to be known by a previous name. Such as Reya Fett, who appeared in many producers' videos under another name.

Would it be possible to consolidate a performer's past works under a single (current) moniker?
I think simply saying "previously known under another name" would be all you would need to do, as long as you don't mention what that other name is.
I think that's probably a concern for only a handful of actresses who have changed their names.

A slightly bigger issue might be whether to include the output of actresses (or producers, in some cases) who no longer have any current presence on the web (although in many cases, their videos pop up on upload sites) and, in fact, have deliberately erased their presence from the web (or at least drastically diminished it, or they don't really answer communications at all, etc.). With the 20-year history of SHIP, this becomes very applicable.

For example, Livia who did Superheroine Legends and Livia Fetish is still around under another aspect/moniker but no longer has any SHIP presence. Or Randy Moore or Paris Kennedy, whose web presence has vanished. Or Diana Knight who recently retired. And many more who were legends/giants in the genre. Would the fact that they once had publicly available video products mean that it's still kosher at this point to publicly catalogue them and print their names and photos etc., or would that be an issue? I mean, a librarian would say any published book should be in the public library available to anyone from the public, but is the same true for the more risque and somewhat ephemeral realm of SHIP vids where some people just might want to outrun their reputation?

Same thing could be true for producers. I mean, I'd assume it might be Ok to list the output of producers who have stopped making new videos but still release their catalog on C4S, like Steve Steele, or the Superheroine's Demise guy. But what about those who have been gone from the scene for quite a while, like Alex Rodriguez from New Phoenix, or the guy from SHIB? I would guess there's a fair amount to consider here - again, it's a bit different than something like comicbookdb.com because you're talking about people's reputations, which usually can't be affected by putting out a comic book (except of course for Richard C Meyer).

All I can say is God (or whatever superpower) bless the meticulous archivism of 13+ years of this great forum, without which such an effort would be impossible. The second-most extensive archive (Heroine Movies) only goes back to 2009!
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

Keep in mind that there are many producers who would probably NOT want to be placed in such a database. They probably also wouldn't want their lists of videos, their model's names, and other associated production data placed within that same database.

Privacy within the fetish industry is very important. Not respecting said privacy would leave people open to legal action and lawsuits.
HeroineFall84
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

My first thoughts were about sensitivity regarding the records. It's been a lasting topic regarding model names, so it's logical to assume select producers desire the same digression. I was a producer once and vanished after my first film. My reasoning wasn't to bury my work or to protect my identity—a screen name protected my identity, and the quality of my work buried it. I offer this information because it isn't safe to assume a vanished producer wishes to be forgotten. That being said, I will include my film in the archive.

This forum gave my passion for SHiP a home and nourishment. Former and current producer's contributions laid the foundation we stand on. Their work should be honored. Producer names, cast members, and production companies are nice, but not essential. The films, however, are.

Creating the archive will be time consuming, but asking permission to publish facts from other publications would be silly. Therefore, perhaps our practice will be only using the forum, Heroine Movies, and C4S as resources. We'll assume, through existing publication, the information is public knowledge.  Once information is online, it's permanent—unless it's the Sinbad SHAZAM film. That shit vanished.

If individuals contact us and request alterations, we'll accommodate them. Every film, talent, director, and producer page will communicate our respectful intent. The films, however, would only be removed if a legal violation occurred such as underage actors.
HeroineFall84
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Shakeshift wrote:
5 years ago
Keep in mind that there are many producers who would probably NOT want to be placed in such a database. They probably also wouldn't want their lists of videos, their model's names, and other associated production data placed within that same database.

Privacy within the fetish industry is very important. Not respecting said privacy would leave people open to legal action and lawsuits.
What do you mean by legal action and lawsuits?
HeroineFall84
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Here is a sample of how a film's page will look. Still working on the Cast section, but it gives the idea. The design is coming along faster than I expected.

Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

You're also rating the videos on a scale of 1 to 10? What exactly is your highly-technical formula for rating these videos based on?
HeroineFall84
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Shakeshift wrote:
5 years ago
You're also rating the videos on a scale of 1 to 10? What exactly is your highly-technical formula for rating these videos based on?
I won't be ranking them. The users will do that. My implementation is straightforward using standard practices to ensure a single user can cast one vote per video. The sample photo is not an actual representation of votes cast.

This project isn't based on my personal views, rather to create a place for movie fans to locate films based on their preference. Using a "weighted tag" could establish the quantity of an element in the film. For instance, a film stating that bearhugs are a feature, but only has 3 seconds of it would have a lower bearhug rating than those with longer durations. This would also be based on user ratings of provided tags. I see potential for driving more traffic with higher customer satisfaction.

The site design resembles IMDB but can be changed over time adapting with our unique genre. Again, I'm not doing this to create a rift. I believe this tool will be beneficial.
Blx
Elder Member
Elder Member

I wouldn't do rankings/ratings, to be honest. It's a small industry and a ranking system opens up a ton of things that you don't want to happen. It's not certain, but it could. I suggest instead throwing a link to where the video is sold.

Maybe you could comment under a vid, but I wouldn't do ratings. I like the ideas being thrown around, though
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

Also with rankings you're just going to have fetish producers logging in under false names and giving their own videos a '10' score and everyone else's videos a '1' in order to make their own videos get the highest median score, increasing the probability of second-run sales. People constantly pull tricks like this whenever they can.
HeroineFall84
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Blx wrote:
5 years ago
I wouldn't do rankings/ratings, to be honest. It's a small industry and a ranking system opens up a ton of things that you don't want to happen. It's not certain, but it could. I suggest instead throwing a link to where the video is sold.

Maybe you could comment under a vid, but I wouldn't do ratings. I like the ideas being thrown around, though
What did you have in mind pertaining to "a ton of things you don't want to happen"? I've been around for some time, but not privy to all the happenings of the past. I've seen systems go sideways over fake reviews, but also heard people down vote content (as a minority) to make their fetish appear more in demand. Simple sales might clear that up.
Shakeshift wrote:
5 years ago
Also with rankings you're just going to have fetish producers logging in under false names and giving their own videos a '10' score and everyone else's videos a '1' in order to make their own videos get the highest median score, increasing the probability of second-run sales. People constantly pull tricks like this whenever they can.
I spent the weekend thinking about the ranking/rating system and I think it adds value when done correctly, but I'm not apposed to excluding it. Creating a rating system isn't a simple task because of the risks you listed. IP addresses must be logged, cookies have to be made, and several other measures to prevent spam votes. It's obnoxious.

However, the more I thought about the generalized voting the less important it became. I'm not sure I'd allow comments, but perhaps reviews with guidelines. Comments are often unhelpful due to excessive brevity, which is offputting. Stating a film is "the best film ever" with no elaboration is pointless.

What about a guided review system with a few prompts? Perhaps one is Story, and the reviewer selects from a few options: Boring, Interesting, or Thrilling—to be clear, those are shit examples, but give the idea. Maybe the next few are Costume, Set Design, and Acting. The reviewer could leave a narrative as the final section where more detail could be provided if they desire.