She-ra reboot at Netflix

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Now this is something to look forward to. I just hope they don't mess with the costume too much.

https://tvweb.com/she-ra-reboot-netflix ... -cartoons/
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

https://screenrant.com/she-ra-reboot-tv ... flix-2018/

Fingers crossed for Horde slime pit!
ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

This would be awesome.

Of course this thread needs some pics
She-Ra Depowered.png
She-Ra Depowered.png (2.46 MiB) Viewed 7146 times
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So exciting...a hot blonde goddess like her deserves her own show...to be worshipped by us all...
Maybe the evil Horde will put her in some hardcore peril...and maybe even a little romance with the evil bitches!!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

If they update her in a white leather jacket and white chinos I'm going to be very depressed.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
6 years ago
If they update her in a white leather jacket and white chinos I'm going to be very depressed.
This won't be linked to a toyline so will be interesting to see how it goes
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

My perverted mind has so many sick twisted plot ideas only a lezdom like myself could ever produce such a glorious production!!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Sorry folks, but it is from the SJW writer who does Nimona and Lumberjanes. She is one of the core people driving the sjw trend in comic books right now. Don't expect anything remotely fanservicey, unless She-Ra goes lesbian. Which I'm sure would be fun, Batgirl1969, except that I'm sure Noelle Stevenson will make damn sure that it's not in the service of the prurient male gaze. It's going to be vaguely empowering sjw stuff about the strength of female friendship, etc. Possibly, since it's Netflix and aimed toward adults, maybe some genderfluid characterization, like Disney is about to do with the newest Loki book.

I think the best I could say is, maybe look for more sexy She-Ra cosplayers (including, of course, guys trying to genderbend) at conventions by next year. Cosplayers still love to heat things up even if comic book publishers often don't. And of course maybe a handful of SHIP producers will follow Cosplay Cuties' example (that Amy Fantasy She-Ra video was sexy as hell..and how can we forget that Cherie DeVille/Randy Moore two-parter?) and recreate that Horde slime pit Lionbadger is longing for.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

They should get the people behind the MoneySupermarket ads to do a live action She-Ra with faithful visual representations of the original characters and CGI animated backdrops.

Do it ironically as a live action version of the cartoon. Complete with the hilarious moral lesson at the end.

Last edited by Heroine Addict 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Tentatively excited. She-Ra is like, my favorite underrated heroine of all time. Half Valkyrie, half fantasy heroine, half super heroine (yeah I know that makes one and a half total) White/Gold color scheme. They might not even slide to far from the original look, with the popularity of WW, I'm actually expecting something more like an 'armored' variant of her classic dress.
Mamooche24
Overlord
Overlord

shevek wrote:
6 years ago
Sorry folks, but it is from the SJW writer who does Nimona and Lumberjanes. She is one of the core people driving the sjw trend in comic books right now. Don't expect anything remotely fanservicey, unless She-Ra goes lesbian. Which I'm sure would be fun, Batgirl1969, except that I'm sure Noelle Stevenson will make damn sure that it's not in the service of the prurient male gaze. It's going to be vaguely empowering sjw stuff about the strength of female friendship, etc. Possibly, since it's Netflix and aimed toward adults, maybe some genderfluid characterization, like Disney is about to do with the newest Loki book.

I think the best I could say is, maybe look for more sexy She-Ra cosplayers (including, of course, guys trying to genderbend) at conventions by next year. Cosplayers still love to heat things up even if comic book publishers often don't. And of course maybe a handful of SHIP producers will follow Cosplay Cuties' example (that Amy Fantasy She-Ra video was sexy as hell..and how can we forget that Cherie DeVille/Randy Moore two-parter?) and recreate that Horde slime pit Lionbadger is longing for.
Its an action cartoon where the main character is a heroine. Shes gonna get knocked out at least once, especially since its a series. Its just the nature of the material. The question is will it be a solid or just a quickie.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
6 years ago

Sounds like this could be a Bionic Woman or La Femme Nikita remake blunder
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

They could modernize it like:
Adam is gay when he is Adam but a ladies man as He-Man
Catra is a lezdom always trying to snag Adora for her own.
Shadow Weaver is Trans...also always trying to capture She-Ra for her own pet but also desperatly wants Prince Adam!
Hordak's little elf guy is Gimp instead of Imp.
Bow is of course Bi....
I don't know all the characters but sounds cool to me!! Lol
mcg
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Modernize it?

Say hello to He-Ra and She-Man everyone.

I'm quite sure something offensive will be found about the old material and "modern" changes will be made.
HeroineTard
Sargeant
Sargeant

I always found She-Ra's alter ego Adora to be way hotter than She-Ra herself.

That red leotard look is so sexy. I'm always disappointed after she transforms as her ass is now covered by a mini skirt.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Scratch my speculations about the target audience.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/noelle-steven ... ra-reboot/

This is definitely a kids show - part of a kids' block on Netflix which features several other cartoons such as Trolls and Captain Underpants. There won't be any adult themes in it. Noelle Stevenson will have to be content with trying to turn six year olds into Social Justice Warriors through "glorification of the strengths of femininity, dilution of gender barriers, and emphasis on a wide variety of relationships between women, aimed at a family audience". I took that quote straight from Rebecca Sugar's description of what she's trying to do with Steven Universe. Same goals probably.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yep....this pretty much confirms it...a modernized version...boo!!!

“She-Ra”
From Eisner Award-winning author and executive producer Noelle Stevenson comes a modern take on the ‘80s girl power icon for a new generation of young fans. The trailblazing property originally debuted in 1985 to satisfy demand for a female-led fantasy series. The series is described as an epic and timely tale that celebrates female friendship and empowerment, led by a warrior princess tailor made for today.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
6 years ago

This is definitely a kids show - part of a kids' block on Netflix which features several other cartoons such as Trolls and Captain Underpants. There won't be any adult themes in it. Noelle Stevenson will have to be content with trying to turn six year olds into Social Justice Warriors through "glorification of the strengths of femininity, dilution of gender barriers, and emphasis on a wide variety of relationships between women, aimed at a family audience". I took that quote straight from Rebecca Sugar's description of what she's trying to do with Steven Universe. Same goals probably.
I think you're being a little... no... exceptionally harsh here. Not that it isn't likely there will be some sort of intent or agenda behind it but... that's art? There's always a agenda behind it.

I mean... who did you really THINK this show was for? The original was for kids to. There was never any hope there would be adult themes in it... it's Masters of the Universe... the birthplace of terrible puns. What should we be showing little girls besides glorification of the strengths of femininity? Should we be undercutting them instead? Teaching them that their inherently weak and unimportant or something? (I'm sure that's not what you meant I'm just making a point) Reinforcing gender barriers? I just don't really see the issue? The best we were ever REALLY getting out of this was a potential resurgence in She-ra's popularity thereby potentially inspiring some fetish material around her.

Lastly... What's wrong with Steven Universe? Show's pretty good if you pay attention to it and aren't watching it for fetish purposes?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
6 years ago
Lastly... What's wrong with Steven Universe? Show's pretty good if you pay attention to it and aren't watching it for fetish purposes?
Isn't this a fetish forum?
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
6 years ago
Yep....this pretty much confirms it...a modernized version...boo!!!
But modernised means she might actually be able to hit someone with her sword, which they could never do for fear of inciting violence in the old 80s ones.
shevek
Producer
Producer

I'm gonna get somewhat political below..so stop me if you don't think it's a good idea, because I don't want this thread relegated to the currently empty Phantom Zone. I think my discussion is within reasonable bounds, however.
Femina wrote:
6 years ago
shevek wrote:
6 years ago

The best we were ever REALLY getting out of this was a potential resurgence in She-ra's popularity thereby potentially inspiring some fetish material around her.

I know the original was also a kids' show. And I've already said we might get some fetish source material from the new show. But the original's "agenda" was merely selling toys and conveying vague positive morals that nobody could possibly disagree with. Chances are, the new show helmed by Noelle Stevenson will have an inherent philosophical agenda directed at the young viewers, while also heavily virtue-signaling to all of her 20something sjw comicbook colleagues about how progressive she is. This is even more likely if the show has no ancillary merchandise marketing component (remember, for folks like Noelle, capitalism is evil and outmoded, except where it can serve their ideological cause) because there'd be no sales to lose.

Steven Universe is entertaining and well done. Kids love it for the cartoon that it is. It is also a universe of powerful women centered around a beta-male named Steven. It is also creating and/or enabling an army of entitled snowflakes utterly obsessed with identity politics. Simply find an adult ( 18+) Steven Universe fan at a local Comic Con, and then let them speak with you for a few minutes. They will return again and again to flogging the same Social Justice topics which they chatter about endlessly on their Tumblrs. I have heard it and seen it in person as recently as last weekend.

Noelle Stevenson's probable purpose in life by helming She-Ra - as evidence by her work on Nimona and Lumberjanes - is to create a vast army of Generation Z kids who think and speak like these Tumblrinas.
Of course she loves the She-Ra character - her subtitle is "Princess of Power". Of course she thinks the original series is "problematic" because it led mainly to a generation of little girls hairbrushing their dolls. Of course she will want to do whatever she can to erase all the "problematic" elements in creating the new series.

If it happens otherwise, I would breathe a sigh of relief, but until then, I'm expecting the worst. We'll see.
Bugsy44
Henchman
Henchman

I always liked Glimmer!!! Also Castaspella!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
6 years ago
I'm gonna get somewhat political below..so stop me if you don't think it's a good idea, because I don't want this thread relegated to the currently empty Phantom Zone. I think my discussion is within reasonable bounds, however.
You know how in Colombo they showed you in the opening sequence who committed the murder and the show wasn't about figuring out who did the murder but rather how Colombo solved the murder

And you know how you'd be watching it with your granny and half way through the show your granny would say "Aye, I think it was him!" and you'd look around incredulously at your granny and say "No granny, they showed you who did it, it was that guy" and she's still say "I bet you it was that other guy" and then you'd get a bit frustrated and start questioning ten year old you's sanity and end up freaking out at a pensioner and yelling "No granny! they showed you! they showed who did it! they showed you it was that guy!" and she'd still shake her head and said "no, I think it was him!"

That's you Shevek, it doesn't matter what is created, why its created or who it is created for you look at it and say "Aye, I bet it was those social justice warriors!" and it doesn't matter what anyone else says, it doesn't matter that the world has changed in the 50 years since the 1970s, it doesn't matter that the whole superheroine fetish falls apart if you don't have strong empowered over confident stick their nose in type women by the bucket full you're still there dunking a rich tea biscuit in your tea and saying "no, it was definitely those social justice warriors"

so just, go for it and splurge out your angst and I'll just watch she ra and be happy to have something instead of the nothing we've had since 1984.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago
Femina wrote:
6 years ago
Isn't this a fetish forum?
Sure, but just cause we're on a fetish forum doesn't mean our sole purpose in life has to be fetishes. A show doesn't have to be looked at negatively just because its not fetish content?

shevek wrote:
6 years ago
Femina wrote:
6 years ago

The best we were ever REALLY getting out of this was a potential resurgence in She-ra's popularity thereby potentially inspiring some fetish material around her.

I know the original was also a kids' show. And I've already said we might get some fetish source material from the new show. But the original's "agenda" was merely selling toys and conveying vague positive morals that nobody could possibly disagree with. Chances are, the new show helmed by Noelle Stevenson will have an inherent philosophical agenda directed at the young viewers, while also heavily virtue-signaling to all of her 20something sjw comicbook colleagues about how progressive she is. This is even more likely if the show has no ancillary merchandise marketing component (remember, for folks like Noelle, capitalism is evil and outmoded, except where it can serve their ideological cause) because there'd be no sales to lose.

Steven Universe is entertaining and well done. Kids love it for the cartoon that it is. It is also a universe of powerful women centered around a beta-male named Steven. It is also creating and/or enabling an army of entitled snowflakes utterly obsessed with identity politics. Simply find an adult ( 18+) Steven Universe fan at a local Comic Con, and then let them speak with you for a few minutes. They will return again and again to flogging the same Social Justice topics which they chatter about endlessly on their Tumblrs. I have heard it and seen it in person as recently as last weekend.

Noelle Stevenson's probable purpose in life by helming She-Ra - as evidence by her work on Nimona and Lumberjanes - is to create a vast army of Generation Z kids who think and speak like these Tumblrinas.

Of course she loves the She-Ra character - her subtitle is "Princess of Power". Of course she thinks the original series is "problematic" because it led mainly to a generation of little girls hairbrushing their dolls. Of course she will want to do whatever she can to erase all the "problematic" elements in creating the new series.

If it happens otherwise, I would breathe a sigh of relief, but until then, I'm expecting the worst. We'll see.
Well okay, I mean, If you're gonna look at life like that it's fine I guess... but, and I genuinely mean this in as constructive a way as I can possibly say it, it's REALLY hard to take even a valid complaint about inequality and agenda politics as fair when the person you're speaking with utilizes terms like 'tumblrinas' in their arguments. I mean, don't get me wrong, I pretty much think Twitter and parts of tumblr are stupid (the whole character limit thingy just seems like a baseline for misinterpretation disaster) but It's hard to appear as though one's own agenda is more fair in some way with all the name calling.

Personally... I find most shows that DON'T include a toy line tend to be better and less focused around gimmicky last second new character reveals and such. In my head, more attention drawn to She-Ra can only mean good things for the characters overall cultural presence... I mean, she's only got like four pages on the rule 34 and she's one of the oldest super heroines in existence... so even if the show turned out to be a total fail, I still feel like we win overall.
HeroineTard
Sargeant
Sargeant

Bugsy44 wrote:
6 years ago
I always liked Glimmer!!! Also Castaspella!
Yeah. Glimmer is super hot in those purple tights and leotard.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
6 years ago

Sure, but just cause we're on a fetish forum doesn't mean our sole purpose in life has to be fetishes. A show doesn't have to be looked at negatively just because its not fetish content?
I would imagine if I walk into a beer tasting room my goal is to drink beer. If I am on a fetish board then my goal is fetish material. I can find PC material at "Ain't it cool" or other general sites.

And yes I would be concerned about trends that ruin my naughty fun.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago
Femina wrote:
6 years ago

I would imagine if I walk into a beer tasting room my goal is to drink beer. If I am on a fetish board then my goal is fetish material. I can find PC material at "Ain't it cool" or other general sites.

And yes I would be concerned about trends that ruin my naughty fun.
Ok, but just because Pepsi comes up in discussion in that beer tasting room doesn't mean Pepsi is suddenly gross because it is being talked about in a beer tasting room... there's got to be an actual REASON other than that it's being talked about at a venue that ordinarily ignores it for it to actually be classified as bad. Since we're talking about beer tasting rooms I mean. That's the sort of judgmental bollocks that goes on at Pepsi you know? Going on and on about how beer tastes like piss water cause it ain't Pepsi, and suddenly nobody wants to drink anything. Isn't it possible for Pepsi and Beer to just agree that they are different drinks no better or worse than the other?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
6 years ago
Ok, but just because Pepsi comes up in discussion in that beer tasting room doesn't mean Pepsi is suddenly gross because it is being talked about in a beer tasting room... there's got to be an actual REASON other than that it's being talked about at a venue that ordinarily ignores it for it to actually be classified as bad. Since we're talking about beer tasting rooms I mean. That's the sort of judgmental bollocks that goes on at Pepsi you know? Going on and on about how beer tastes like piss water cause it ain't Pepsi, and suddenly nobody wants to drink anything. Isn't it possible for Pepsi and Beer to just agree that they are different drinks no better or worse than the other?
Yeah actually Pepsi might be gross.
In the big scheme of things YES I am concerned SJWs will burn the house down. They always do. By the very definition of their views they have to. Yes I am concerned that slowly the fetish is pushed into the darkness and that topics are always changed from beer to pepsi until all there is is Pepsi. For example Beyond the Trailer makes a complaint that Gal Gadot is too sexual which is a laugh yet says NOTHING about both Superman and Aquaman going shirtless for huge chunks of time. Complaint for complaint sake. Tilting at windmills. Turning everything straight into something ugly. Straight mens like something so we have to burn it down.

Yes I have SJW anxiety. Its like the 60s and 70s and 80s where there was always that cringy God moment in every movie where they had to interject some God nonsense into everything. That is even ok with me given it was a positive view as opposed to today where there is no positive view being put forward but complaints for complaints sake or to tear something down something.

Pepsi is NOT beer. There's a whole science to making good beer. They are not interchangeable. That reeks of moral relativity. When all the colors are the same you only need one crayon in the box. If Pepsi and beer are then same then you only really need water.

No I do not believe SJWs have any good intentions. An ideology that is nothing more than pounding holes in a boat is not an ideology. Yes I believe they are fake righteous people hiding behind a cause as an excuse to shame people.

I have a fetish. I like my fetish. I want to discuss my fetish with like minded fetish people on a board I perceive to be a fetish board (for the most part). I want a safe place I can discuss this fetish. I am straight and proud of it and want tits and ass and legs and booty and I want to go somewhere where some fake righteous basement dweller doesn't show up to shame and ridicule the board, hiding behind fake chivalry as some excuse to bully and shame someone.

Yes I am concerned there are people with no good intentions who are trying to burn the proverbial house down and hiding behind some fake righteous cause to do so. I see no good intentions, just bullies.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I would like to get back to Focus on Prince Adam...what a God!!! Is it bad I love both Him AND She-Ra??? Hey they are both hot tanned blondes....perfect for me!! I could be their Catra or Shadow Weaver!!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago
I have a fetish. I like my fetish. I want to discuss my fetish with like minded fetish people on a board I perceive to be a fetish board (for the most part). I want a safe place I can discuss this fetish. I am straight and proud of it and want tits and ass and legs and booty and I want to go somewhere where some fake righteous basement dweller doesn't show up to shame and ridicule the board, hiding behind fake chivalry as some excuse to bully and shame someone.

Yes I am concerned there are people with no good intentions who are trying to burn the proverbial house down and hiding behind some fake righteous cause to do so. I see no good intentions, just bullies.
This doesn't make any sense. The fetish is not mainstream. There have never been in the mainstream "sexy" superheroines. You're freaking out about something that does not exist in the first place being 'destroyed'. There's never been a wonder woman movie. There's a batman every 6 months for the last 30 years. Marvel won't make a film with a female lead until 2019 but there have been 3 spider canons since the 90s.

But oh my god! Here it is a couple of dead medium comics that were never great have changed a bit! You guys need to get a grip and some perspective. This is particularly weird to someone living outside the US because this mad facists vs sjws thing doesn't exist or if it does people shrug and mutter "oh it's just artists"

I mean what happens if the sjws "win" and sexy heroines and forced O and peril become super taboo? What happens then? Well, the same thing that happens with any other taboo, people will want it and your business will be bluddy booming?

This is why you look so bluddy ridiculous when you guys launch into a speculative sjw panic that will literally have no negative impact on you! There hasn't been a she ra for 30 years, nobody wanted to make one, you get interesting story she ra or no she ra, there's not some violent horde rape film sitting on a shelf at hbo waiting for the sjw heat to die dow !, I told you, they showed you at the start who did it, Colombo is not a who done it
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
6 years ago
I would like to get back to Focus on Prince Adam...what a God!!! Is it bad I love both Him AND She-Ra??? Hey they are both hot tanned blondes....perfect for me!! I could be their Catra or Shadow Weaver!!
I see you as more of an Entrapta character

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
6 years ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
6 years ago
I see you as more of an Entrapta character

Hey...NOW that works....even my favorite colors...cotton candy bubblegum flavored too!! I forgot about that little spy guy...what a perv he must be..always hiding and watching the girls....thanks!!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago

Pepsi is NOT beer. There's a whole science to making good beer. They are not interchangeable. That reeks of moral relativity. When all the colors are the same you only need one crayon in the box. If Pepsi and beer are then same then you only really need water.
You are taking my analogy about Pepsi being spoken about in a beer tasting room far FAR to seriously. Look, you decided to answer a question that I posed to someone else. My point has never been that Pepsi is better or worse than beer. Someone brought up Steven Universe in a negative light without much by way of explanation, having seen SU here and there and generally having favorable opinions of what I've seen I asked 'What's wrong with Steven Universe' and then you came in with the whole 'Well aren't we on a fetish website' thing as though the location where a thing is discussed somehow has any relevance over that things value as a whole. My point was never about Social Justice. It was about questioning why somebody disliked something that I happened to considered pretty neat overall (outside of the animation anyhow which is why I don't 'consume' the show, I'm not a big fan of lazy American animation these days)

Essentially We're talking about different things. I don't like beer, tastes like piss to me, but I'm aware other people do and I don't judge them for it. I don't like Pepsi either (I'm more of a sprite gal) but that's also beside the point. A website based around conversation is always going to have conversation occurring sporadically that isn't necessarily about the thing that we are all discussing 'overall'. Just as you can't go to a beer tasting gig and expect all of your guests to not go and chat quietly or raucously in the corner about another sort of entertainment based liquid. Human beings just talk about things, its what we do. All we can do about it is occasionally remind everyone why we're here. We all like the thing we're here for, so no one's gonna get mad about it.

I could go on about some stuff, the concept of positivity provided in place of things that you and others don't believe is there yada yada, we aren't supposed to talk about politics so I wont. But seriously, I don't see that's its all that fair people are still allowed to rant and rail about how the SJW's are destroying everything and we all just are supposed to take it. (Not that this is all your fault or anything. I'm just saying)

Getting back on track, do we suppose He-Man will be in this show? Is it still connected with Masters of the Universe and all that? (Spinning off into a new He-Man perhaps?) or is this gonna be like a one off thing completely self contained?
HeroineTard
Sargeant
Sargeant

This is off topic but, all this SJW/Feminism talk reminds me of a great Angelique Kithos video.

She played an arrogant feminist who was imprisoned and was given the choice to wear a slutty red leotard and pantyhose to fight crime in in order to avoid a life behind bars. She agreed to it begrudgingly, and on her first mission she got a living crap beaten out of her, then she was shown her place as she begged for her life.

I know we'll never see this sort of thing in a She-Ra show, but I think it's a nice avenue for superheroine fetish content while also sticking it to the SJW/feminists.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
6 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago

You are taking my analogy about Pepsi being spoken about in a beer tasting room far FAR to seriously. Look, you decided to answer a question that I posed to someone else. My point has never been that Pepsi is better or worse than beer. Someone brought up Steven Universe in a negative light without much by way of explanation, having seen SU here and there and generally having favorable opinions of what I've seen I asked 'What's wrong with Steven Universe' and then you came in with the whole 'Well aren't we on a fetish website' thing as though the location where a thing is discussed somehow has any relevance over that things value as a whole. My point was never about Social Justice. It was about questioning why somebody disliked something that I happened to considered pretty neat overall (outside of the animation anyhow which is why I don't 'consume' the show, I'm not a big fan of lazy American animation these days)

Essentially We're talking about different things. I don't like beer, tastes like piss to me, but I'm aware other people do and I don't judge them for it. I don't like Pepsi either (I'm more of a sprite gal) but that's also beside the point. A website based around conversation is always going to have conversation occurring sporadically that isn't necessarily about the thing that we are all discussing 'overall'. Just as you can't go to a beer tasting gig and expect all of your guests to not go and chat quietly or raucously in the corner about another sort of entertainment based liquid. Human beings just talk about things, its what we do. All we can do about it is occasionally remind everyone why we're here. We all like the thing we're here for, so no one's gonna get mad about it.

I could go on about some stuff, the concept of positivity provided in place of things that you and others don't believe is there yada yada, we aren't supposed to talk about politics so I wont. But seriously, I don't see that's its all that fair people are still allowed to rant and rail about how the SJW's are destroying everything and we all just are supposed to take it. (Not that this is all your fault or anything. I'm just saying)

Getting back on track, do we suppose He-Man will be in this show? Is it still connected with Masters of the Universe and all that? (Spinning off into a new He-Man perhaps?) or is this gonna be like a one off thing completely self contained?
That is an interesting question, She Ra seemed to reply on may He Man or he man villian guest apperances.

Are they going to never mention the original series?

The Bionic woman reboot failed miserably and even the original went down hill when they preteneded Steve Austin did not exist
shevek
Producer
Producer

Yes, HeroineTard, I actually bought that Kithos video! She gets fire powers. Not because of the storyline you described, but because it involved transforming a normal powerless woman into a sexy superheroine. But I have seen it all the same.

I'm going to say a few things with regards to all of this She-Ra stuff, because I believe in keeping things civil and constructive while voicing what I believe to be a justified perspective.

Yes I am looking forward to the new She-Ra animated series regardless. And yes I consider myself a strong second-wave feminist who believes in equality for everyone under the law (not equality of outcome, which is actually known as "equity" and is a major third-wave principle).

But I would like to help you understand: this series is being helmed not by some random Japanese guy or old-school Hollywood animation artist. It is being run by a very prominent Social Justice Warrrior lgbt type, the kind that has taken over comic book companies in the past four years, especially at Marvel.

Her track record with the kind of writing is clear from what she's done with Lumberjanes, which is a relatively big hit comic with both the lgbt community and progressive types who want to condition Generation Z to be open-minded and aware of various sexual orientations at a fairly young age. That in itself is not a problem, since Lumberjanes essentially only preaches to the converted, or the kids of the converted. It's not really made serious inroads into the mainstream, and almost nobody has to buy it if they don't already believe in the philosophy it contains. Your average Wal-Mart shopper is blissfully unaware of it. It's not a 'stealth' comic the way the Marvel ones are...sneaking far-left third-wave intersectional feminism into the stories of mainstream characters by replacing Iron Man with a teenage black girl or turning a sexy superheroine like Carol Danvers into an androgynous one, etc.

She-Ra, however, is a super-mainstream character beloved by hundreds of millions, along with He-Man. An entire generation already grew up with her. Noelle Stevenson's dream in wanting to helm a new She-Ra cartoon show is not merely benign fangirling over a childhood heroine. She is quietly frothing at the mouth to get a hold of this mainstream character and change her to suit the agenda.

Mr. X is correct - SJW's always have an ulterior motive that involves burning everything down in a frenzy of antithetical revolution. They hate everything and everyone that stands in the way of this mission. That's why the current crop of SJW writers at Marvel Comics and other comics companies are telling the fans to "feast on my ass" (Bemis), saying that white cis males should be beaten with baseball bats (Visaggio), decrying interracial marriage between Lateenexes and whites (Rivera), while pontificating patronizingly about how "the strong should protect the weak" (Waid).

These are things that out of control, enraged SJW comic writers are doing right now. They prefer a scorched-earth policy when it comes to clearing the way for their agenda to take over. That's why they're even OK when longtime progressive forces in politics and culture like Franken, Conyers and Keillor (and as of today, one female senator as well!) get swept away in the burning fire along with all of the Republican bigots in the #MeToo controversy. Because as long as identity politics triumphs, and the offender is replaced by a woman or a POC, who cares what kind of privileged white people get thrown under the bus. Sounds a bit like the purges of Stalin and Mao, doesn't it? Or, to put a flipside on it, anti-Communism under McCarthy. Yet that's what is happening right now. A culture-wide indiscriminatory purification that's the wet dream of every SJW.

Now, that's not to say that Noelle Stevenson is doing the exact same thing. She seems pretty level-headed.
One long glance at her twitter does not reveal any raging rants against bigoted comics fans, but just a long series of spunky, nerdy lesbian comicbook stuff punctuated by very occasional cheers for lgbt equality. The current photo on her Twitter, in fact, shows the lineup of traditionally sexy females from the 80s She-Ra era. So I'm not saying her involvement in She-Ra will make things extreme and oppressive. But despite her relatively innocent appearance, she certainly does follow the same agenda as the more rampant sjws in comics that I've listed above.

There's no question that she'll apply her third-wave intersectionalist philosophy to the new She-Ra cartoon.
Maybe in dribs and drabs, maybe just snuck in here and there. But it'll be there. We have yet to see what form it'll take. Will they change She-Ra's costume to make it less sexy and fashion-based, and more warrior-like and practical? Possibly. Will she avoid any reliance on male characters, and express friendship and solidarity with the female characters? Possibly. Will there be a diverse racial/ethnic lineup to the characters that definitely was NOT there before? I'm guessing yes. Will there be lessons that specifically empower girls (not just kids in general) to think and act for themselves? Probably.

Most of that sounds good and fine, as long as it's not overdone and relentless preachy and overbearing. I refer you to the CW shows as of late, where progressivist buzzwords come sneaking through via the writers. When Wild Dog says "why does the the brown man have to be the janitor". When several characters exclaim "Hashtag Feminism!" in a Flash episode. When Supergirl gets described in the title sequence as a "refugee". When the climax superhero crossover of the year basically involves an anti-fa frenzy of "punching Nazis".
And so on. Most likely that's what's going to happen with She-Ra. Not some kind of deluge of SJW-isms all the once, but a trickle of buzzwords and symbolic actions here and there.

OK then, we'll see what happens. I'm looking forward to the series regardless, but like I said, given who's writing it, it's important to take the writing with a grain of salt and consider the source.
shevek
Producer
Producer

That is an interesting question, She Ra seemed to reply on may He Man or he man villian guest apperances.

Are they going to never mention the original series?

The Bionic woman reboot failed miserably and even the original went down hill when they preteneded Steve Austin did not exist
From what I hear, this cartoon might be the first step in rebooting the entire Masters of the Universe oeuvre, including maybe a live-action He-Man movie. If She-Ra would be in that movie, it would be fun to speculate who would play her and what her costume would look like. Someone who looks a lot like Margot Robbie (but of course, isn't her) would be great, I think.

Also I would like to respond to Lionbadger, if that's OK:

Lionbadger: sjws certainly do exist in Europe. For example, they are the ones in the EU who are mad at the UK for Brexit, or the Scandinavian officials who excise any mention of the offender's religion when a sexual crime occurs, or the ones taking to the streets to "punch Nazis" when a right-wing party garners some political clout in Central or Eastern Europe, or the ones calling Ukrainian nationalists "fascist" even as the Ukraine is being invaded by imperialistic, totalitarian Russia. The difference between the US and Europe is that in the US, the SJWs have only about halfway taken over things (as evidence by the red/blue cultural split) while in Europe, SJWs seem to be already the clear majority of government and culture, and have been for quite some time.

Or am I reading things totally wrong somehow? Hey, I don't live there, so I acknowledge that I might be....

But what I don't understand is your proclamation that "there have never been in the mainstream sexy superheroines". Wonder Woman has been mainstream for several generations and she has always looked
sexy. There have been sexy heroines in mainstream TV and movie title roles in the 60s (Batgirl, Emma Peel, Barbarella); 70s (Isis, Bionic Woman, Charlie's Angels, Cleopatra Jones); the 80s (Helen Slater, She-Ra, Jem and the Holograms, Golden Girl); the 90s (Dark Angel, Buffy, Xena, Cleopatra 2525), and the 00s (Birds of Prey, Witchblade, Painkiller Jane, Black Scorpion) and so on. There is a list of actresses a mile along in various dramas and sitcoms who have dressed up as Wonder Woman to look sexy, from Emily Deschanel to Kaley Cuoco. There have been sexy heroines all along in movies and TV shows, from Brigitte Nielsen as Red Sonja, to Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl and Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy, to Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow. Today, almost every female hero on the CW shows is gorgeous and hot (although many of their costumes tone it down a bit).

Isn't that what this website is about? Celebrating (i.e. fetishizing) that beauty?

Speaking of which, I mentioned Golden Girl above with regards to the 80s. The cartoon was definitely a ripoff of both She-Ra and Jem (also the comic Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld) that happened around the same time (maybe there was just a zeitgeist for this kind of stuff) but the characters were very sexy *and* warriorlike. (Really, this is just the tip of the iceberg, as during the 80s, there was also the beginning of a proliferation of B-movies starring female warriors from such companies as Golan/Globus, etc). But back to Golden Girl: this might be the sexiest set of action figures ever assembled. See what you think.
goldengirl3.jpg
goldengirl3.jpg (339.82 KiB) Viewed 6524 times
goldengirl1.jpg
goldengirl1.jpg (71.51 KiB) Viewed 6524 times
goldengirl2.jpg
goldengirl2.jpg (190.08 KiB) Viewed 6524 times
Void
Sargeant
Sargeant

I think some of us are imbuing more cultural reach and influence on to a cartoon than it could ever reasonably have. The way someone grows up to think or behave is not something you can lay at the feet of a cartoon they watched, or a comic they read, or a game they played. It's not a thing - it's never been a thing. Seriously, it's as weak as accusing violent games of facilitating apathy towards real-life violence - or 'sexy' female characters in fiction facilitating a male-centred culture of objectifying women. It cuts both ways, and it's paranoid delusion both ways.

We ought to judge these things based on what they are, what their merits are as finished products, rather than on what the nebulous perceived purpose of the creators is. Even at that, I'm not sure I understand the distaste if some kind of moral lessons become visible in the story, least of all if they are as inane as a more practically attired heroine, or presenting diversity, or presenting empowering depictions of strong women - in **She-Ra**. I mean, as opposed to what? Showing women as weak and dependant on men? I don't fathom the complaint in what you might get in the finished product, or in the kind of supposedly 'subversive' message it is transmitting to its audience. You don't mind if they do all those things, but you mind if they are doing those things to spread a political message? Because we didn't have that in our cartoons...

The return of a fantasy action heroine, and the He-man mythos, just sounds like pure gravy to me. If it is targeted at girls and layered with positive morals about female strength and solidarity, super kudos to the next generation of girls. If it promotes acceptance of homosexuality, I don't understand why we wouldn't want kids seeing that. Either way, some of those that watch it will later fetishize it, as happens with all depictions of action heroines, and the next generation of forum lurkers may be hoping to see SHIPy things befalling 'their' She-Ra. Play out the Lion King - it's the circle of SHIP.
Lost in the night, and there is no morning.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Trying to stay out of yet another of these Political Shitshow threads, containing way too many lazy stereotypes to unpack. However, I'm really scratching my head at the notion that "the strong should protect the weak" is a patronizing "SJW" message.

Seriously, WTF?!

Surely the strong protecting the weak is, y'know, the basis of all superheroism? Isn't the entire (mainstream side of this) genre based on the idea that people with remarkable powers, skills and/or resources should protect the vulnerable?
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 years ago
Trying to stay out of yet another of these Political Shitshow threads, containing way too many lazy stereotypes to unpack. However, I'm really scratching my head at the notion that "the strong should protect the weak" is a patronizing "SJW" message.

Seriously, WTF?!

Surely the strong protecting the weak is, y'know, the basis of all superheroism? Isn't the entire (mainstream side of this) genre based on the idea that people with remarkable powers, skills and/or resources should protect the vulnerable?
What part of "fetish board" is not understood here?

Hypnotic stated this board is for general comic topics and also fetish. The board has a strong fetish slant.

I don't go to model railroad boards and discuss my little pony topics.

But your response is exactly a grand example of what I was stating. What is "fetishy" about your position ESPECIALLY given your icon is that of a fetish model from a fetish video.
Surely the strong protecting the weak is, y'know, the basis of all superheroism?
So on a board that routinely discusses fetish elements these should now be discarded?
Isn't the entire (mainstream side of this) genre based on the idea that people with remarkable powers, skills and/or resources should protect the vulnerable?
And doesn't that involve ruining the fun of "naughty" people. By virtue of that statement you have shown that THIS is a threat to the very fetish community you attend. SJWs do NOT like this genre. By their very nature they WILL destroy it in the name of protecting sexually exploited women.

Knock knock
Who's there?

SHHHHHHH.... we're sexually exploiting women wink wink wink wink.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
6 years ago

Lionbadger: sjws certainly do exist in Europe. For example, they are the ones in the EU who are mad at the UK for Brexit, or the Scandinavian officials who excise any mention of the offender's religion when a sexual crime occurs, or the ones taking to the streets to "punch Nazis" when a right-wing party garners some political clout in Central or Eastern Europe, or the ones calling Ukrainian nationalists "fascist" even as the Ukraine is being invaded by imperialistic, totalitarian Russia. The difference between the US and Europe is that in the US, the SJWs have only about halfway taken over things (as evidence by the red/blue cultural split) while in Europe, SJWs seem to be already the clear majority of government and culture, and have been for quite some time.
Okay, so you just proxy SJW for "any political debate"

The leader of the left in the uk wants to get rid of ghe queen, nationalise the railways and get rid of all nukes, hes been campaigning for brexit for 40 years. The conservative Prime minister with a hsrd on for surveillance, deporting immigrants and locking up kids was staunchly against brexit.

I'm not entirely sure why you'd bother to mention religion when a crime occurs but it's true that there are a lot of catholic ghettos in sweden filled with refugees families from the former yugoslavia and i.e. malmo is allegedly rough (for sweden anyway)

Central and eadtrtn europe forget, unless you want us to seriously accept that protesting a return to communisim is being an SJW.

If they made Buffy or Xena today you'd be ranting about how they got rid of Buffy's cheerleader costume from the movie and gave willow too much focus and that Xena was pushing an agenda. Your defnitions are all ovef the place chap and you're just being outragec for the sake of outrage (if only there was a term for that).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
6 years ago

If they made Buffy or Xena today you'd be ranting about how they got rid of Buffy's cheerleader costume from the movie and gave willow too much focus and that Xena was pushing an agenda. Your defnitions are all ovef the place chap and you're just being outragec for the sake of outrage (if only there was a term for that).
yes cause... shhhhhhh... we're on a board that caters to fetishes.... shhhhhhh ;) ;) ;) ;)
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago

What part of "fetish board" is not understood here?

Hypnotic stated this board is for general comic topics and also fetish. The board has a strong fetish slant.

I don't go to model railroad boards and discuss my little pony topics.

But your response is exactly a grand example of what I was stating. What is "fetishy" about your position ESPECIALLY given your icon is that of a fetish model from a fetish video.
Surely the strong protecting the weak is, y'know, the basis of all superheroism?
So on a board that routinely discusses fetish elements these should now be discarded?
Isn't the entire (mainstream side of this) genre based on the idea that people with remarkable powers, skills and/or resources should protect the vulnerable?
And doesn't that involve ruining the fun of "naughty" people. By virtue of that statement you have shown that THIS is a threat to the very fetish community you attend. SJWs do NOT like this genre. By their very nature they WILL destroy it in the name of protecting sexually exploited women.

Knock knock
Who's there?
That post doesn't address mine in any way whatsoever. Shevek was specifically referring to mainstream (not fetish) texts when he complained about the "SJW" preachiness of the notion that the strong should protect the weak.

The strong protecting the weak is the core theme of mainstream superheroine texts. Blatantly. Fetish texts may subvert that by having a strong villain defeat a weakened heroine. But that's not pertinent to Shevek branding virtually all mainstream superheroism as "SJW".

It should be perfectly clear to anyone reading my post that I was talking about Shevek's extraordinarily broad definition of "SJW". Which now somehow includes the creators/writers of virtually every mainstream superheroine, pretty much the entire membership of Tumblr and the vast majority of politicians and creative types in Europe. Oh, plus anyone who reports sexual harassment or sexual assault is now inexplicably an "SJW" too. It might be easier to narrow down who Shevek doesn't regard as "SJWs".

But hey, if you prefer to rant about how you imagine I don't like fetish or something, that's your call. Such a fantastical argument is utterly irrelevant to what I actually posted, though.
Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago
SHHHHHHH.... we're sexually exploiting women wink wink wink wink.
Whaaaaaat?! Is that some sort of blurted confession to a serious crime? (Or just a grammatically dodgy description of the fantasies on this board?) I'm pretty sure most of the women in the SH Peril fetish industry get paid a few hundred dollars for a day's work and a lot of them appear to enjoy portraying such fantasies.

Women are no more being sexually exploited here than they are being murdered on Bluestone's board.

Fantasy and reality. Different things are different.

Mainstream and fetish. Two more things that are different from each other.

Now, enjoying an adult fetish parody of a kids' show from your own youth is common here. However, expecting a modern kids' show to cater to an adult fetish audience isn't entirely reasonable. We're not the intended market.
GWalb
Henchman
Henchman

Perhaps we should just wait and see what the new series is like, rather than arguing about what it might be like.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Yes, deeeeeep breaths and relax everybody.
Season of goodwill to all men (so dats you bitches out of it, ha!) (Ok, ok we will take the women folk as part of man kind in general) and just lets all get along
If you are naughty Santa wont come.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
shevek
Producer
Producer

Heroine Addict, the Marvel/Mark Waid version of the "strong protecting the weak" is not the usual mainstream superhero one you're thinking about. It's more like a righteous defense of the Progressive Stack https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_stack

But let's not worry about it. We know Noelle Stevenson's creative track record with Lumberjames so chances are it's going to reflect on what she does with She Ra, but there's no point in speculating further beyond just waiting and seeing what happens. Here's hoping She Ra is portrayed beautifully.

And in the meantime I will continue to produce my own superheroine videos which actually do have fairly liberal and progressive themes themselves, while staying away from identity politics and overbearing virtue signaling. I have lesbian and bisexual heroines who pursue active relationships as part of their storyline, and I have an anti-heroine who destroys an entire office because she is tired of being sexually harassed. But I also have an upcoming episode featuring a self-made Republican entrepreneur who becomes the most powerful woman in the world and has a very law-and-order, authoritarian outlook on life. Because I like to be nuanced and show how every side has something to contribute.

Happy holidays, whether you get your presents from Santa or Krampus or Hanukkah Harry.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago
shhhhhhh... we're on a board that caters to fetishes

you know

fetish caterers would be a great service

there's probably a very awkward Dragon's Den in there somewhere
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
6 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago
shhhhhhh...we're on a board that caters to fetishes
you know

fetish caterers would be a great service

there's probably a very awkward Dragon's Den in there somewhere
I remember Akira Lane used to do naked sushi catering where you eat off her tummy.

On a side note she is now going out of business and becoming a realtor. Good for her. Sad to see her go.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Expect it to be puritan identity politics cancer, then at least you wont be disappointed.
This is par for the course in $CURRENT_YEAR , but It could lead to an uptick in fan work.