Executive Assistant Iris, Assassins etc (Aspen)

shevek
Producer
Producer

Recently discovered this newer series from the Aspen company which is famed for the very beautiful and complex universe of the Fathom books (should probably do a separate thread on that sometimes). Fathom is one of the pinnacles of the 90s bad-girl style but not so devoid of substance as some of the Rob Liefeld stuff - there was a serious story and mythos there, well explored and revealed.

Executive Assistant is similar at least in that respect, with regards to depth of story. Sure there is the 90s bad-girl style in full effect - no question this is one of the most sizzling books going female-form-wise - but the content is also there, and it seems a bit like a feminist allegory as well (which to me is fine as long as there's no reduction in prurience as a result).

The Executive Assistants are women, orphans who have trained at a secret academy for assassins, kind of a finishing school. When chosen by various crime bosses and corporate moguls, they serve two purposes for their employers: the quiet organized and submissive executive assistant to the CEO, and the secret role of assassin and enforcer for the company's goals. They are all deadly on the level of, say, a Lady Shiva or a Rose Wilson or a Shi.

So far I have read most of one series, Executive Assistant Iris, which chronicles the tale of an Asian EA (Iris) who serves an Asian corporate mogul who is also a ruthless crime boss. After discovering the ugliness behind the academy which raised her, however, she winds up teaming with other EAs who were graduates of that school and forms a revenge squad of sorts. The contentious group dynamic reminds me a bit of Danger Girl.

All the way through it's just hot, visually. The book also has a bit of a manga feel to it. And I'm sorry if you don't think so but there are few things hotter than a fit Asian woman with tattoos. Probably one of the few things hotter is when the demure servile secretary in the background becomes the
supersexy killing machine in the catsuit. You see that every so often (Luthor's bodyguard Mercy, Paxton Powers' assistant Miss Winston from Batman Beyond who in the comic becomes the powerful Vendetta) but rarely is it taken to this genius level.

I'm going to go back and check out the other series: Executive Assistant Assassins (which according to my updates from Drive-Thru Comics has been collected in TPB form).

Anyone else enjoy this series?