"Are you losing faith on the Supergirl Tv series -- Airing Mondays @ 8pm on CBS ?" or REALLY ? I mean REALLY ???

General discussions about superheroines!
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Location: Mostly United Kinkydoms of Netherlands and Damnmarks

I still believe in this show. I was probably the last to join this band wagon and so far it has been a fair joy ride in a bumpy railroad so I will be the last to ask to stop the train in order to be able to get out when I can gladly bungee jump my worries away everytime an episode goes across another bridge.

Quickly off topic : Oh my God how much I hate write this on a tablet with a tiny screen and keyboard.

Intermission : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mxlgapCFKk

Thanks Whatever Lazy Gods We Praise, Back on my notebook.

We ask for this kind of tv show for years, at this point we were willing to accept even something lower than this like the never meant to see the light of the day, not to mention the broadcast air waves, David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman's don't giving a shit for proper forensic procedures neither the most basic Batman's method of investigation and barely legal crime fighting or fetish fashion fabrics, so you know this Supergirl could be a lot worst.

For better and for the worst Ratings we're gonna Hate no matter if they are good or bad, they will never be enough for the audience neither for the damn powers that be.

Somebody else please get this awesome song below and paste the appropriate scenes from the show in order to made a fan music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXiWHWkbD6Y
Semi-Pro Devil's Advocate and Lawyer of Lost Pants & Causes / Spare Time Frame Caption Hunter.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

No, I am not.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

tallyho wrote:No, I am not.
Thank you Wing Commander Tallyho, sometimes you are my only hope after Obi Wan Kenobi of course.

"Obi Wan is dead Dude !"

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Help us Tallyho Kenobi, you are our ONLY hope !
Semi-Pro Devil's Advocate and Lawyer of Lost Pants & Causes / Spare Time Frame Caption Hunter.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The renewal discussions at CBS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0EBOFL_VwE

Or maybe they're saying this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPwvzGIWX7o
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

tallyho wrote:No, I am not.
I'm not either
:supes: Watch all of W.O.N/MMP's Superheroine World Underwater Peril Fan Film Series, only on W.O.N Cinema YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/woncinema
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Not so much faith. Just don't see how they can keep going burning through villains. Then again Smallville hung on for a long time.
JohnFeer
Henchman
Henchman

I'm Good to Go with Melissa Benoist, Tomorrow Belongs to She.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:Not so much faith. Just don't see how they can keep going burning through villains. Then again Smallville hung on for a long time.
Superman/Supergirl has one of the largest group of villains except for maybe Batman in the DC universe. Plus they can always create more from Krypton and its prisons. They haven't even used the minor one shot ones.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

except for the lame villains someone like Darksied is going to require a huge budget. I think longer running villains over a few episodes would work better. Yeah sure Superman had that villain that was a cowboy and rode him like a horse but hardly that's going to end up on a show.
Masmune
Henchman
Henchman

Mr. X wrote:except for the lame villains someone like Darksied is going to require a huge budget. I think longer running villains over a few episodes would work better. Yeah sure Superman had that villain that was a cowboy and rode him like a horse but hardly that's going to end up on a show.
Yes, they need to spread out their stories/villains more!

I can't lose faith because I never had any to begin with. In a sense, it's better than I feared, but it's perhaps more frustrating because I feel like it has a lot of potential, particularly in terms of acting, but they still try to fit too much in and there are major pacing issues. There seem to be fewer goofy scenes of late as well, which is good.

Anyway, I think most of the problems can be fixed with some better writing, so I'm hopeful.

-Masmune
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

:ybat: :hq: :supes:
Last edited by theScribbler 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think the real question is if the producers of the show lose faith and won't stick it out. Or if the show gets some exec who dislikes the show like what happened with Quantum Leap.

I also agree the show needs to sex things up a bit. Maybe they are targeting kids but the show is bland. Most shows that try to attract female viewers have a lot of hunk scenes which this show doesn't really have.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

:ybat: :hq: :supes:
Last edited by theScribbler 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

With all due respect ma'am but your KFC body type is all chicken wings and no breasts at all, you would never qualify for Hooters and most certainly you are not Our Lord kind of Super. A Wonder for some ? Maybe, but thanks for we still have a multiverse to explore so good luck with your future endevours on the cinematic universe.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

I had no faith that the show would succeed on CBS, or put its heroine in a costume without weird elements, or handle the Kal-Elephant in the room well, or deliver any but the tiniest intention-defying satisfaction of prurient interests.

And it annoys the hell out of me that they just cloned The Flash -- she has (and needs) a Team, they have a lair, and a magical tech elf, it's all about Team as Family because the hero suffered a familial loss, there's a nearby villain sausage factory, the secret identity is A Big Deal and yet given away, discarded, forgotten, or lost like a dirty penny... ugh. I get why they did it: when you don't know if your protagonist can sell a show on their own, use a proven formula and don't get cute. It's just so blatant that it makes it predictable and generates a lot of ocular rotation events.

But it's still watchable, and there are enough fun moments to keep it from stacking up on the DVR. And there's probably room in CBS's schedule for another season if the show manages to pay its own bills.

If all it does is pave the way for more onscreen comic book heroines who don't wear leather pants, I'll brand it a success.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

So far I'm really enjoying the show. Yeah, there are some things I might change, and the computer tech talk last episode was ridiculously bad, but overall the show has me hooked, and thoroughly entertained.

And as for throwing us a bone, did you miss Indigo last episode? My jaw was on the floor.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The team superhero approach is because the shows are all from the same producer. The older shows followed the secret identity means keep it secret version from the comic books. If Smallville had been more successful with its spinoffs, then it would have had only other superheroes know the secret identity and not the sidekick teams.

Unfortunately studios would rather copy a method that works, then try something new and risk losing money. Whatever gets the best rating will decide the next superhero show.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Even a different producer would have cloned The Flash. Really, only Berlanti or Kriesberg or Johns could have done something for CBS other than a clone. It may yet become more distinctive in a second season.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'm not sure it was a straight copy of The Flash. Buffy, Angel and various other shows all worked well with a team dynamic.

The problem with having a superhero/ine with a truly secret identity is that the ways to stop his/her friends and colleagues discovering the secret become increasingly contrived and annoying.

It also makes exposition clumsy if the hero/ine has to exclaim things out loud because there's no cipher with whom they can discuss their superheroics.
Last edited by Heroine Addict 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

I'm sure it was a straight copy of The Flash. The Flash doesn't have to be the first show ever to have a team, even a team with a nearby villain sausage factory, for that to be so. Network television has a short attention span; CBS execs didn't hear "it's Buffy with a cape," they heard "it's The Flash but with Superman's cute young cousin."

And I don't expect strict impenetrability of a secret identity -- you're right, that gets contrived and annoying -- just that acting like it's The Most Important Secret and then dropping that when the story of the week lazily dictates is contrived and annoying too. But there's a lot of Because The Plot Now Dictates on all the Berlanti shows. Maybe most viewers like that heightened drama, but it rings hollow so fast. When Felicity breaks off her engagement with Ollie because he reluctantly agreed never to tell a soul about his son, I'm not giddy that the telegraphed drama is realized, I'm just bored.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The later seasons of Smallville might be a closer comparison. With a team set-up in the Daily Planet / CatCo.

Bear in mind that Supergirl was being developed at a time when nobody knew whether The Flash would be a success. Supergirl was commissioned by CBS in September 2014, presumably with the format agreed as part of the pitch. This was a month before The Flash premiered.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

FallOutDweller wrote:Image

With all due respect ma'am but your KFC body type is all chicken wings and no breasts at all, you would never qualify for Hooters and most certainly you are not Our Lord kind of Super. A Wonder for some ? Maybe, but thanks for we still have a multiverse to explore so good luck with your future endevours on the cinematic universe.
You start with all due respect and then go into a flood of no respect. And why are you talking to an image. She's not here.

Well, can't say it's much fun to post an image I like and get this reaction. OK, I'll stop. Everyone can breathe a sigh of relief. Saves me time anyway.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

theScribbler wrote:You start with all due respect and then go into a flood of no respect. And why are you talking to an image. She's not here.

Well, can't say it's much fun to post an image I like and get this reaction. OK, I'll stop. Everyone can breathe a sigh of relief. Saves me time anyway.
I am more crazy for awesome things like the spread eagle gif image of Supergirl you provide from the Master Baits Jailer episode than any random image of Gal Gadot asking Maxwell Baits Lord who's Supergirl.

I am not a fan of Gal Gadot, I am theScribbler's fan and I can't wait for whatever you might provide next because I lack the ability to try something nice like that. Who cares about Gal Gadot and the Fast&Furious clown car she get herself in on that dark and "realistic" toned parallel universe.

Thanks God if the Anti-Monitor chew that away from the 52 for good during Crisis of Infinite Earths.

Thank you for your posts Sir.
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

Masmune wrote:
Mr. X wrote:except for the lame villains someone like Darksied is going to require a huge budget. I think longer running villains over a few episodes would work better. Yeah sure Superman had that villain that was a cowboy and rode him like a horse but hardly that's going to end up on a show.
Yes, they need to spread out their stories/villains more!

I can't lose faith because I never had any to begin with. In a sense, it's better than I feared, but it's perhaps more frustrating because I feel like it has a lot of potential, particularly in terms of acting, but they still try to fit too much in and there are major pacing issues. There seem to be fewer goofy scenes of late as well, which is good.

Anyway, I think most of the problems can be fixed with some better writing, so I'm hopeful.

-Masmune
Ye guys of little imagination - you realise they've been locking up villains, not killing them right?

All it takes is one too powerful villain to perform a jailbreak, and you have a ton of villains once again.. most of whom have an axe to grind with the girl of steel! ;-)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Not only that, its a sci-fi orientated show - all you need is some alien with a mystical bit of tech- you call it a 'Lazarus key' or something fancy and bang even dead villains can be reborn or cloned or possess good guys or whatever way you want to play it.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Indeed. Death is only a minor setback in this genre.

Besides, they still have many hundreds of DC villains to get through. It might become an emergency if the show runs long enough for Kara's granddaughter to need someone to fight.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

There are not hundreds of villains. And why would anyone want that? Freak of the week? Superman may have a fairly large rouges gallery but its not hundreds. Seems silly to get to season 2 and be scraping the bucket for Cowboy Man or the Metal Men or Kryptonite Puppy or some such d-listers.
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Mr. X wrote:There are not hundreds of villains. And why would anyone want that? Freak of the week? Superman may have a fairly large rouges gallery but its not hundreds. Seems silly to get to season 2 and be scraping the bucket for Cowboy Man or the Metal Men or Kryptonite Puppy or some such d-listers.
No, no, no, no, NO ! Please Sir, share with us more of your knowledge about this so called D-listers.

You might bring back to life many characters available for unexpectedly good, original and creative custom videos.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:There are not hundreds of villains. And why would anyone want that? Freak of the week? Superman may have a fairly large rouges gallery but its not hundreds. Seems silly to get to season 2 and be scraping the bucket for Cowboy Man or the Metal Men or Kryptonite Puppy or some such d-listers.
Maxwell Lord and Red Tornado didn't even start out as Supergirl or Superman villains. There must be many hundreds of villains in the DC universe without scraping the bottom of the barrel. A few of the big names may be off-limits due to the movie universe, but there's still a load of villains available.

Plus there will be rematches and a few original TV villains. No limits, really.
Last edited by Heroine Addict 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Heroine Addict wrote:Maxwell Lord and Red Tornado didn't even start out as Supergirl or Superman villains. There must be many hundreds of villains in the DC universe without scraping the bottom of the barrel. A few of the big names may be off-limits due to the movie universe, but there's still a load of villains available.
Keep in mind Folks, until CW take over and merge the showverses Supergirl still lives in one of many 52's parallel universes in the multiverse. So until then Anything Goes is a valid rule for heroes that start as villains and villains who start as less than their original versions like Toyman or more them they should be like Indigo also known as Smurfette Transcyberneticgender Brainiac or Caitlin Jenner with a severe case of blue balls.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
Maxwell Lord and Red Tornado didn't even start out as Supergirl or Superman villains. There must be many hundreds of villains in the DC universe without scraping the bottom of the barrel. A few of the big names may be off-limits due to the movie universe, but there's still a load of villains available.

That just indicates right there they are reaching their limits. They aren't even using Superman villains. And Red Tornado was a super hero, not a villain. he was a mole originally sent in to infiltrate but he became a hero. They aren't even following the stories... which they COULD.

Just waiting for parasite to show up then its pretty much exhausted except the furies and darksied.

The show needs a season villain. Someone over reaching and not Non. He's too lame and dull.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Just looking at Supergirl's own villain's, they've barely scratched the surface.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/supergirl ... 1/enemies/

That's before we even consider Superman's villains or villains from elsewhere in the DC universe.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/superman/ ... 7/enemies/

A better recurring villain would be good, but overuse would makes it ridiculous when this supposedly formidable foe fails constantly and ends every episode with a cry of "I'll get you next time!" One way around this is to have the villain sending assassins after Supergirl. But that's exactly what they are currently doing with Maxwell Lord and Non.

I suspect Season 2's big villain has already been set-up. The "death" of the original Hank Henshaw is obviously going to lead to him coming back as a cyborg. They chose that character for a reason.
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

to Heroine Addict : Remember when Astra was supposed to be the big villain and suddenly they decided to scrap her and replace with Non because obviously an evil twin sister female didn't sound that good among most feminist interest groups so let's go with the generic evil misogynistic aryan nazi-kryptonian that stands for truth, justice, patriarchy and the fuhrer's way according to his scrotum ?

Yes, I miss Astra after her allegedly second in command finish screwing his BlueBerry Smurfette Slave Fuck Doll.
JohnFeer
Henchman
Henchman

Really "Supergirl" the TV show will fail because they've squandered all the good villains and villainesses? and the D-List is too paltry....thats the argument?
Ridiculous.
Mid Card Acts can get upgraded by a good TV program, Frank Gorshin took the Riddler to the A List, hell Mister Freeze and King Tut didn't exist prior to the Batman TV show.

JF
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It does seem like a very strange criticism. Aside from the fact that Superman and its various spin-offs have remained in publication for 78 years with new villains created regularly, the show has a team of writers who create characters as part of their job. The fiction well is not going to run dry.

I'm reminded of this:
"The advancement of the arts, from year to year, taxes our credulity and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement must end." Henry Ellsworth, 1843
Bert

"The advancement of the arts, from year to year, taxes our credulity and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement must end." Henry Ellsworth, 1843

Great quote. There's evidence that he was right - Honey Boo Boo. But there's plenty of evidence that he's wrong too, for instance The Wire. (I had more to say about this that wasn't arts related, but I deleted it to avoid controversy - one person's "human improvement" is another person's sign of the apocalypse.)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

In the late 1800's there was talk of closing the Patent offices because we were on the cusp of inventing all there was to invent.(truly).

With imagination and creativity there will always be villains for her to fight. Whether they are 'good' baddies or lame ones is of course down to the quality of the writing.
But either way she is nice eye-candy if nothing else and each episode has the chance, however slimly of delivering a taster of whatever it is we all enjoy about this fetish.
It may not deliver it ,but if it's still on air then there's the chance that it might. So I live in hope of more and a season 2.

swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:

That just indicates right there they are reaching their limits. They aren't even using Superman villains. And Red Tornado was a super hero, not a villain. he was a mole originally sent in to infiltrate but he became a hero. They aren't even following the stories... which they COULD.

Just waiting for parasite to show up then its pretty much exhausted except the furies and darksied.

The show needs a season villain. Someone over reaching and not Non. He's too lame and dull.
They have 2 season villains!

Maxwell Lord has been building to full villain-dom all season, and General Astra's husband Non (and the other kryptonian lackeys) are the current season's true villains.

Plus, there has been a forshadowing of another even more powerful villain - very much nuanced storytelling.

Not to mention they've now co-erced Brainiac 8 (or Indigo)

They're finally pulling something cohesive together after half a season of show building.

NOT loosing faith at all, finally gaining faith - something I'd hoped would happen.
Richpartist
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

"Shaka,when the walls fell"
ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

FOD I will bet u the show gets more episodes.
The bet loser does not post for 12 months

K
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

That's a insane bet and I don't accepted because is obvious this series will have at least maybe one or two more seasons.

An so far I am the only one unilaterally advocating in favor or this series, why all the sudden everybody else see nothing beyond the horizon but doom ? It can't be just because I have such a magnetic personality polarizing everybody elses view against everything I said.
ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

FOD: "I am the only one unilaterally advocating in favor or this series"

Really?
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Really, everybody else started in favor of this series and suddenly after half a season everybody else start to whine about how the series was not just "aesthetic" good enough for them but also how they were allegedly able to read the producers minds behind the stage and claim "Well, maybe this ratings are not good enough or maybe this series is too expensive so maybe we should keep going with the Arrowverse and add more shirtless men in it instead of wasting our time trying to developed and build up more interest in the audience for a second season."

It became an endless debate of "Oh they are burning A-List villains too fast" or "Oh they have only D-List villains now damn it" or "Oh they are too misogynist" or "Oh they are not misogynist enough" and etc, etc, etc....the only way some people would be happy apparently was if this series was so controversial and over the top that would last only three episodes.

Thanks whatever stupid lazy liar gods we praise if we get a Crisis of Infinite Earth in the midway between show in order to give for the tv multiverse a fresh start if everything really start to goes south.
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

ksire_99 wrote:FOD: "I am the only one unilaterally advocating in favor or this series"

Really?
Yes, really. UNILATERALLY. Everybody else has issues with this series so they always keep one step back before the real people with pitch forks and torches come into the studio and axe this series for good.

Not in Kryptonian fashion of course because that's clearly above the budget.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

There had only been a very small amount of speculation about cancellation. So starting a thread asking people if they're losing faith just draws attention to the question on hardly anyone's lips.

Let's say I make up a rumor that Melissa is about to be fired. Would a thread asking "Is CBS losing faith in Melissa? Really? I mean REALLY?" downplay the rumor or help to spread it?
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

At least it help, I hope, to move most of the speculation away from the tv show actual thread.

In my honest opinion people that complain about this show are the same people that complain about some fetish studio because their favorite actresses don't get raped often enough.

Is a primetime tv show dudes, don't expect the same amount of fetish you get from your usual, by the way, CUSTOMIZED video.

This show is called Supergirl, not Baywatch.
4havokk
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

My problem with the show is the predictability the lack of creative scripting. I have won bets on this show because its that predictable.
Richpartist
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'm guessing no one understood my obscure Star Trek TNG reference :) It meant that I'm losing faith,just not completely :)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

No, I got it but we just dont admit to being geeks. (Plus it was a hopelessly ill conceived episode for patently obvious reasons)