YouTube Red: Video-Sharing Website Introduces Ad-Free Subscription Service

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wanted to get everyones thoughts on this...

I personally feel the biggest issue here is the YouTube Ad system is flawed. I don't run AdBlock on my laptop and sometimes I'll get hit with the same unclickable 30 second commercial 4 times in a row, whenever I switch to another video. Most commercials you can click away after 5 seconds.

YouTube should have kind of limit on how much ad time they can show you per hour. That would make it a little more palatable. If I don't like the ad I can switch windows for 30 secs, no problem.

Thoughts?
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Google is trying out a different way to monetize YouTube. Even having a fixed amount of commercials per hour will change eventually. Back in the older days of commercial television there were fewer commercials per hour, but that got changed and now they overlap the credits from one show with the introduction to the next to allow more commercials. Companies want to make money.

I too really hate the current ad programs especially when I'm not even sure if I want to watch a video because the description is poorly written. But I guess for people that regularly use YouTube the cost makes up for the time saved in not being bothered by the ads. For now I keep several windows open so I can do something useful while waiting for the ads to end.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm ok with 15 second ads or 30 second ads that you can opt out of after 5 seconds. Forcing a user to wait and watch a 30 second ad is a little greedy. Especially on a mobile platform where a user might be paying for bandwidth.
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I haven't seen an add on youtube in millions of years. Am I doing something wrong or is adblock to blame?