Question about GIGA Membership

General discussions about superheroines!
HeroineFanboy
Henchman
Henchman

Hello All --

I recently joined Giga (www.akiba-web.com) as a member of the website. I played the test video and Windows Media Player was able to play it. Unfortunately, when I try to watch streaming videos, I am required to enter a User ID and Password for a Windows Media DRM License Certification.

I tried using my User ID and Password for GIGA, but that didn't work. I tried updating my security settings, as GIGA suggests on its FAQs page, but that didn't work.

Has anyone else experienced this problem on GIGA? Do you know how I can correct it so that I can watch streaming videos?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

That sounds like an issue with your video player and not giga. Do you have some DVD format video player you never used that gets activated with their videos? Also did you try binging the DRM license and see what that is? Also the english side of giga has directions on what player to use. Do you have an out of date IE? Giga doesn't work well on firefox.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Make sure you use IE. I had problems with the GIGA samples with FireFox, but it worked okay in IE.
HeroineFanboy
Henchman
Henchman

I am using the most updated versions of Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. Whenever I click on a streaming video on the GIGA website, I am prompted to enter a User ID and Password. I then enter my User ID and Password for the GIGA website and I'm immediately rewarded with the following message:

"Windows Media DRM License Certification -- You have failed to get a license. If you click on CANCEL and play a video, you will be directed for a license certification page."

I have emailed GIGA but have not received a reply (not surprising, considering the staff is Japanese and probably has to translate my email, if it can be bothered to do so at all).

I have looked at the Q&A page on GIGA and followed all of the instructions. Nothing seems to work. I'm frustrated because I feel ripped off and doubly so because I can't watch any of the videos.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem or can offer advice, please let me know.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

HeroineFanboy wrote:I am using the most updated versions of Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. Whenever I click on a streaming video on the GIGA website, I am prompted to enter a User ID and Password. I then enter my User ID and Password for the GIGA website and I'm immediately rewarded with the following message:

"Windows Media DRM License Certification -- You have failed to get a license. If you click on CANCEL and play a video, you will be directed for a license certification page."

I have emailed GIGA but have not received a reply (not surprising, considering the staff is Japanese and probably has to translate my email, if it can be bothered to do so at all).

I have looked at the Q&A page on GIGA and followed all of the instructions. Nothing seems to work. I'm frustrated because I feel ripped off and doubly so because I can't watch any of the videos.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem or can offer advice, please let me know.
Did you try hitting cancel to see what certificate they send you to?

I do remember when I was a member that they install some kind of copy protection scheme. Something called Pirate Buster or some such thing. It could be your firewall is blocking their app from acquiring the permission certificate to view the video. Each time you view one of their videos you have to acquire a permission cert. Do you have a firewall or virus software you could temporarily turn off to see if this helps?
HeroineFanboy
Henchman
Henchman

I'm reviving this old thread, because, like a fool, I decided to try a membership with GIGA again. (The test video played perfectly fine, but all of the same problems that I had long ago were the same.) I'm using the right versions of Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player, I've tried turning off my firewall, and nothing seems to work to help me bypass the DRM certification window that appears. I enter my username and password every time, and each time I get an error message. This is extremely frustrating -- not to mention a waste of money! Yet, I assume that someone out there must be successfully accessing the membership videos on GIGA's website, or else the English website wouldn't exist. Can any PRETTY PLEASE explain to me what I can do to watch the videos? Thank you.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

HeroineFanboy wrote:I'm reviving this old thread, because, like a fool, I decided to try a membership with GIGA again. (The test video played perfectly fine, but all of the same problems that I had long ago were the same.) I'm using the right versions of Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player, I've tried turning off my firewall, and nothing seems to work to help me bypass the DRM certification window that appears. I enter my username and password every time, and each time I get an error message. This is extremely frustrating -- not to mention a waste of money! Yet, I assume that someone out there must be successfully accessing the membership videos on GIGA's website, or else the English website wouldn't exist. Can any PRETTY PLEASE explain to me what I can do to watch the videos? Thank you.
I actually can't access the site reliably on one of my machines even though all my machines have AVG. For some reason one machine simply won't allow the traffic through or the videos to play in the samples.

Only other thing I could suggest is clear cookies.

I also never found anything of interest in the members area. Its like there's a treasure trove of unseen real fun stuff in there.

They've also kind of gone down hill. Maybe I'm jaded but their videos seem boring and repetitive. The girls are also cute but the same time and time again. I think they have a rule not to use girls with implants so to get busty girls they end up getting chubby girls. And we're talking Japan so its not like its full of lots of busty girls. They also seem to cycle through girls a lot so I wonder if they piss them off or they just want new girls all the time. I guess I'd quit too if part of the job requirement was to let the owners boff you.
HeroineFanboy
Henchman
Henchman

I tried clearing my cookies (on top of all the other suggestions) and that didn't resolve the problem. A couple questions:

(1) When it's prompting me for a User ID and Password, is it the same User ID and Password that I use to log into my account on GIGA?

(2) The error message says that I've failed to get a license. If that's so, then how does one get a license in the first place?

Ugh, this is so upsetting. GIGA has such excellent videos and is one of the few sites, of which I'm aware, that actually offers a membership to access its back catalog, but this DRM issue has made it literally impossible for me to enjoy any of GIGA's products.
krypto
Neophyte
Neophyte

I actually am a member of the site right now... and when it ask for the prompt... I put my user ID and Password that I use for entering into the site it self... I have not had any trouble with and have use there site a couple of times over the last couple of years..... Hope this helps...
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

1) yes
2) The piratebuster (or whatever they call it) app tried to go out and get the license and it failed. That sounds like your machine blocked it. Now it could be that at some point a prompt came up saying something like "Pirate.... tried to connect to the internet. Yes or No" and you selected NO and now your firewall blocks it. so you may have to go into your firewall settings and look for that item and remove it then say YES next time it prompts. What fire wall you using?

I am suspicious though its something else cause the example video plays for you and it goes to get a license. Your U and P should get you in and you can see the member titles. If not then you're not logged in.
rayman
Overlord
Overlord

HeroineFanboy wrote:Hello All --

I recently joined Giga (http://www.akiba-web.com) as a member of the website. I played the test video and Windows Media Player was able to play it. Unfortunately, when I try to watch streaming videos, I am required to enter a User ID and Password for a Windows Media DRM License Certification.

I tried using my User ID and Password for GIGA, but that didn't work. I tried updating my security settings, as GIGA suggests on its FAQs page, but that didn't work.

Has anyone else experienced this problem on GIGA? Do you know how I can correct it so that I can watch streaming videos?
Hi

Are you just a member of the GIGIA site or are you a paying member?

Before you can watch a GIGA movie your pc needs to download a DRM code and you have a DRM folder on your pc and sometimes you need to clear out and rebuild this folder but you will need to check up on the details about that as it is a long time since I went through that process.

IE is definitely the best browser to use.

If you try and use ay software to "capture" a streaming video fro GIGA taht invariably causes issues.
Creator of - Cobalt - Swiftstrike - Lady Death and more
HeroineFanboy
Henchman
Henchman

Mr. X, I'm using Symantec Endpoint Protection, which seems to have taken over from Windows in terms of managing my firewall.

Rayman, I am definitely (and unfortunately under the circumstances) a paying member.

I have also logged into my account and attempted to play the videos on a completely different computer, just in case there was something off about my regular computer, and still the videos would not play. I'm close to giving up, unless there are any other ideas. Thanks for everyone's help.
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

Use google translate and ask giga customer services for help. You can't be the first person this has happened to.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

HeroineFanboy wrote:Mr. X, I'm using Symantec Endpoint Protection, which seems to have taken over from Windows in terms of managing my firewall.

Giga won't hep you then since they clearly state all virus protection has to be turned OFF before running to get the license.
rayman
Overlord
Overlord

Mr X is bang on as usual GIGA wil be of no help at all!

If you are able to play the videos but they are all unviewable then it is definitey a DRM issue.

I have only bought downloadable movies fro GIGA and they give you a small file to download to check if your DRM is working but it sounds like that worked fine for you.

Can you stream the trailers okay?
Creator of - Cobalt - Swiftstrike - Lady Death and more
Masmune
Henchman
Henchman

Hi Everyone,

GIGA has switched to Silverlight (yeah, I know) for streaming so I decided to take the plunge on a standard membership.

Good:
Selection: 500+ videos. That's a great selection even if certain videos (notably most Platinum videos and English subtitles) are excluded.
It works! Really and truly. I had the best experience with IE.
Price: 3000 yen (approx. 25 USD) really isn't much considering
Transparency: The list of standard membership videos is available here: http://www.akiba-web.com/search/index.p ... form_id=38

Bad:
The stream quality is definitely not HD. If I had to guess, maybe 1024x768?
Buffering: It's best if you queue up the video first, press pause and let it sit in the background for a bit first.

I think if you're really into GIGA's stuff, this is a no-brainer. There really are a lot of videos. If you're not sure, it's a reasonable price to experiment for a month.

Personally, I think I'll quit after 1 month. I'm not a big fan of GIGA, but I find they add some nice variety once in a while.

I hope this is helpful.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

so does anyone know what the difference between standard light and platinum membership is?
bgrhugs
Sargeant
Sargeant

so when you join you get to watch all the member videos?..or do you still have to pay for each one?
Godz24
Henchman
Henchman

ok here is the run down. Platinum membership gives you access to all videos , including platinum level videos that are 6 months old and older. Standard lets you watch normal videos that are 1 year and older, no access to platinum videos.light has limited access to a rotating amount of videos. in standard and platinum you can watch all videos you have access too. no need to pay for each one. my only gripe is the fact chrome does not work right with it. Use IE
Godz24
Henchman
Henchman

one more thing. Platinum and standard memberships give you access to a new just released video each month. sometimes sooner. i used to Use Audrials to download the files via recording but it doesnt work like it used to. the DRM still stays on it :(
Masmune
Henchman
Henchman

Yeah, I only did the standard so I can't speak to the Platinum. It's generally a year embargo, but there are exceptions and some series aren't available at all. I also think I might have been overly optimistic about 1024x768, but again, I think it's worth a try if you're interested in some of their videos. You can see which videos are included beforehand, which is definitely nice.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

As a former member I can say... membership with Giga is ATROCIOUS... but I don't know if it was because Giga sucks, or because I'm an American trying to communicate with a Japanese website... all I know is I had difficulties as well.
bgrhugs
Sargeant
Sargeant

has anyone ever joined the Zen-Pictures memberships?.......how that go?
Godz24
Henchman
Henchman

its the same company, so basically the same access but zen has a longer time between releases. feels like one release a month-ish.
Godz24
Henchman
Henchman

i noticed that they sometimes release 2 versions of the same movie, one for zen and one for giga. so i usually just get the giga membership if a superlady video is included.
FlyGuy
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Hey something I've wondered about Giga/Akiba maybe someone can answer. Is it possible to purchase their videos (legitimately) in DVD format? I hadn't thought so but usually the first image for each video is a DVD cover so that had me wondering. I have to say I like the SP Player - much better than Windows Media Player - but of course I'd prefer the ease and functionality of a disc.

Like many others I understand why they protect their content but am frustrated that I can't watch it in my preferred format. I can only imagine how much more money I would have paid them if that were possible.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maybe not from giga but if you search for the title in Bing or google you'll find JAV sites that may distribute a DVD.
FlyGuy
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Thanks Mr. X - I have seen at least one of those sites. I can't quite tell if they're 100% legit though. I'm concerned about the possible reduction in quality.
Interestingly, I was watching one of the vids (Space-Time Agent Erena I think) and before the movie there's a tutorial, with an actress in a body suit, apparently explaining how to burn the videos to DVD. There are subtitles with English words like "DVD-RW" and "Active X" but since it's from a couple of years ago it likely no longer applies. Wish I could understand it though just out of curiosity...
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well basically you can throw the file on a cd then play from the cd on your computer. As for making a DVD that requires more sophisticated stuff and GIGA now has some proprietary player that I think prevents that.