Lady England - Haute Heroine of the Sceptered Isle

Have stories to share? Post them here! All writers welcome.
trystan
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

The Origin of Lady England

Olivia Knight served her country for many years. She represented everything regal about England as a lady of aristocratic birth. She studied at Oxford before moving to an apartment in Chelsea, London in the 1940s. She was a 5ft 10, statuesque beauty with sun kissed blonde hair. Her eyes were ocean blue and her physique had been sculpted and forged through many years of ballet, gymnastics and fencing practice. “Elegantly strong” is how she was often described by her mother. But a life of luxury was never for her, she needed to challenge her mind and body. It was not long after University that she committed herself to joining MI6. Her aptitude and skill in all areas earned her a position in MIX, a special branch of the British intelligence dedicated to paranormal, supernatural, occult, superhuman and extra terrestrial issues and threats. Her adventures all over the world thwarting Nazi occultists during World War 2 as well as various super villains earned her the right to be put forward to be England’s first super heroine defender. The programme was called Project Avalon. MIX had been working on a serum made from various herbs and psychedelic roots and chemicals, however science was not enough. For it to permanently work the serum needed to be magically enhance by a powerful entity. Occasionally MIX worked with various otherworldly beings and creatures that were sympathetic to the cause of justice. Gwynevar, Queen of the Fairies and Elfhame was one such being.

The winter winds blew daggers into bodies of agent Knight and her fellow MIX companions agent Geoffrey Manning, a scientist, and the mysterious agent Lyra Sinclair, one of the many practising witches that work for the agency. The two hiked the Dartmoor hills wrapped in large coats that made them look like yetis. It was only possible to enter Gwynevar’s realm during the night. The temperature had dropped to -10 and the moon was ripe for ritual.

“Agent Knight its time” Lyra said as she opened her back and knelt on the ground near a hill. She created a breaching sign on the earth with twigs from branches and lit some candles. She stood before the sign. “Stay behind me” she commanded her colleagues. She began whispering an incantation in an ancient welsh or a Celtic language long forgotten to the Anglo Saxons. She repeated it over and over. It became louder and slowly descended into gibberish as Lyra went into a trance. Her hands faced palms upwards and agents Knight and Manning could see light emerge from Lyra’s body and a portal opened up in front of them all, beyond the breaching sign. Olivia heard a seductive voice call her name and she felt compelled to walk towards the portal. Before the others could stop her she had already disappeared into thin air as the portal closed behind her.

Olivia found herself walking down a glowing tunnel, it was as if her entire soul and consciousness was being sucked into it like a vortex whirlpool. Suddenly she found herself on the a stone floor. She slowly stood up and analysed her surroundings. It was a large feasting hall as if from medieval times. There was a long table with chairs for what would be a banquet and a fire was blazing upon a hearth at the head of the table. And above that, was a chair carved out of what was a tree. Sat on the throne was a frighteningly powerful looking woman. She was pale, long limbed with dark eyes and silver hair. Her ears were elvish sharp and she was completely naked. Upon her head was a crown made of deer antlers. As she rose from the chair she stood 7 ft tall. She was gorgeous yet other worldly and intimidating. Olivia was inspired and slightly scared at the same time.
“Come forth” she commanded. As Olivia walked towards Gwynewar she continued to speak.
“So you are the one that has been chosen. The witches told me that you are the strongest of mind and body to withstand the transformation”
“I am!” Olivia responded firmly. She sought to impress this feminine goddess, Queen of the fairies. She had read the files. Far from the friendly tinker bell depictions, fairies were powerful beings of magic that traversed the realms of the dead and the living. They existed in a realm known as Elfin and have done so since time immemorial. During the days Camelot, Merlin and King Arthur established good relations with the Fairy realm however this relationship collapsed with the rise of Christianity and the destruction of the old ways which saw witch and fay folk persecuted for their existence. The modern industrial capitalist machine came later, ravaging the land forcing many entities and beings to exist in hidden dimensions and realms beyond mortal eyes. Gwynevar opened her hand extending her skinny long twig like fingers. “Show me the potion.”
Olivia took it out of her jacket. It was a green liquid inside a vial. The queen held it between her fingers staring at it with eyes as black as the void. “Your witches have collected the right herbs and done the right incantations and rituals. And your scientists have added their charms I see. All that is needed is for a goddess of my power to bless it if it is ever to be useful for a woman of mortal flesh to attain godhood herself. We Fairy folk have suffered enough from you humans, and now you need out help as you continue to destroy your own planet. This war and these Nazis however are working with the most baneful of demonic creatures, and they threaten to plunge you world into a darkness never seen before. The enemy of my enemy…..” she smiled at Olivia. “But in the end you are both our enemies, Nazi, Allied forces, what difference does it make, why should I help you?”
“Because I will be different.” Olivia responded.
“That is right” Gwynevar replied “you will learn a different way and serve justice universally”.
The Queen of the Fairies then enveloped the vial with her essence and energy, magical power that flows throughout the universe igniting the hidden potentials that existed within the mesh mash of science and occult sorcery that was this green elixir. It immediately changed colour to a glowing purple. The Queen handed the vial back to Catherine. Out of her jacket she pulled out a syringe and fixed the vial to it. She rolled up her sleeve ready to inject herself.
“please….there is no need for something so crude” Gwynevar interrupted.
With a wave of her hand the vial began to float way from Olivia’s hands. The glass shattered and the glowing purple liquid continued to be suspended in space. Gwynevar said some strange words and the liquid transformed into glowing ball of golden light. The Fairy then thrusted her right arm forward with speed and force sending the ball of energy into the body of Olivia which threw her back like a rag doll at least 5 metres. Olivia could feel her body changing as she was surrounded in that same light, it consumed her body. She was transformed into the hero that was needed for the time of war and battle against darkness. A strength and power grew inside of her as her clothes disintegrated. The white light replaced them with an outfit that best accentuated her aesthetic beauty. A suit of white exposing nothing except her belly and thighs. She donned long white high heel boots with a golden tiara upon which presented her majesty and glory to her foes. Her hands and forearms were covered in white gloves to match the rest of her costume. The red cross of St George was marked in the centre of her chest to show an attachment for the country she served. “For Queen and Country”, that was an ideal drummed into her upbringing and training with British intelligence. But as she gazed at Gwynevar terrifying majesty and her metamorphised being, she wondered which Queen?

“You now possess great power, and when you face the evil ones you will know how to use it. This mastery and knowledge of your power will increase in time, as well as your weaknesses. You will learn about them too…you are also immortal….a Goddess in your own right…you may have a patriotic affiliation to your sceptred Isle nation but remember, you will also be attached to the realm of the Faye, Avalon and dimensions beyond mortal eyes. England is merely the physical gateway to those realms”.
The words “Weaknesses” and “immortal” struck Olivia’s mind like a scorpions sting. She had questions for the Fairy Queen. But before she could speak Gwynevar spoke.
“Now Go! You do not have time” and with a gesture Olivia was sent through the portal she came from. Once united with her colleagues, agents Manning and Sinclair were in awe of her transformation in all its regal splendour and power.
“Wow…..you truly look like you could be England’s hero and saviour” Agent Manning said.
“Call me Lady England. Now let’s take out some Nazi filth!” Lady England said in her confidently feminine Oxfordian accent.
trystan
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Hope you all enjoy this first installment :)Just introducing a new English superheroine. I will have many episodes to follow after where Lady England will be put through many perilous trials of mind and body
Damselbinder

Thank you for submitting this. It's always good to see the story section getting some new blood. There is certainly a lot of imagination here, and going back to Arthurian mythology is always a good shout for a British superhero. A few issues rose to my attention:

1) This seemed a little rushed. You go from a biography of your hero to introducing supernatural beings in the space of the same paragraph.
2) Some odd sounding phrases. "...a chair carved from what was a tree." Surely that should just be "a chair carved from a tree".
3) I'm not really sure there IS an Oxfordian accent. Most people from Oxford just speak with an RP accent.
4) I feel honour bound to point out that no-one would be saying "for Queen and country" during World War II. George VI was still king.
trystan
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Thanks for the reply. With regards to point 1 and 2, it was all intentional. There is an Oxfordian accent with regards to those that study and graduate from Oxford. They often come out speaking the same much like the Eaton boys. It is an accent that is linked to the elite and is a product of British hierarchy with its roots in feudalism. There is also an Oxfordshire accent. Thanks for the point about George VI, however I am wondering whether to make it a complete alternate fantasy Britain. Overall I am just having a laugh here and I hope many will be entertained but thank you for your support and comments! I shall continue to write random stories about the adventures of Lady England.
valugi
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I liked the story, and the whole context, curious to see more