More original characters

Want to just talk about stories? Float a request, do some research, recruit a partner in crime? Then come on in and have yourself a pint.
Mikeunmaskem
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

I like the traditional heroines ( Wonder Woman, batgirl, supergirl, etc.) and I realize the stories here are original, but I tire of them and mostly stay away from them. I see that a goood portion of this forum is flooded with those characters. Folks.... they are great, but the world is flooded with them. Let them stay in the movies and mainline comics!! I like a heroine, who is in a skimpy outfit with at least knee high to thigh boots, and a mask. She has long flowing hair and is confident in her beauty bordering on arrogant. Now the good stuff!! She will face peril. Debooting some stripping, maybe haircut peril ( every now and then to rarely on this one) and most definitely unmasking. Her identity is discovered. It depends on how smart and tenacious the lady is as to how she escapes and covers this fact up or even hiding this fact, depending on how much the writer wants to keep the character going! On this forum is one of my favorite writers, Void. His Pariah stories are great and we need more pariah and the azure verse! JK Waylon/Don Ship is another of my favorites! I love Valora!! I love The Gosssmer Ghost stories, this writer needs to continue, I think it is Betty Dreadful!! Help me!! Who heard my plea and appreciates it??

Thank you,

Mikeunmaskem
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The pros and cons of original characters has been discussed a lot. So far I've chickened out and run with writing Supergirl, Wonder Woman and a sort of Spidergirl clone and have avoided going into an OC though I do have something in the back of my mind for the future.

You have some interesting peril ideas and I am sure the other writers in the community might like to hear your thoughts on that (with no promises on meeting your expectations, of course!)

My only disappointment is, you've obviously been reading a lot - you ping Void and Pariah, and Dreadful's "Ghost" stories ... but ... please, please, please SAY SOMETHING in their story threads. You hope your plea is appreciated, well, the writers need to know they are appreciated too in order to keep writing. Please do not take that as something personally directed at you, there are many who read who say nothing, but, you must understand why it is important. You wrote to be heard, so did they.

I hope the writers go on to deliver something that keep avid readers like you interested :) - Thanks for your post!!
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mikeunmaskem wrote:
3 years ago
I like the traditional heroines ( Wonder Woman, batgirl, supergirl, etc.) and I realize the stories here are original, but I tire of them and mostly stay away from them. I see that a goood portion of this forum is flooded with those characters. Folks.... they are great, but the world is flooded with them. Let them stay in the movies and mainline comics!! I like a heroine, who is in a skimpy outfit with at least knee high to thigh boots, and a mask. She has long flowing hair and is confident in her beauty bordering on arrogant. Now the good stuff!! She will face peril. Debooting some stripping, maybe haircut peril ( every now and then to rarely on this one) and most definitely unmasking. Her identity is discovered. It depends on how smart and tenacious the lady is as to how she escapes and covers this fact up or even hiding this fact, depending on how much the writer wants to keep the character going! On this forum is one of my favorite writers, Void. His Pariah stories are great and we need more pariah and the azure verse! JK Waylon/Don Ship is another of my favorites! I love Valora!! I love The Gosssmer Ghost stories, this writer needs to continue, I think it is Betty Dreadful!! Help me!! Who heard my plea and appreciates it??

Thank you,

Mikeunmaskem
The trick is can a writer weather this genre or standard superheroine fiction create something original.Meaning not a variation of Supergirl. Wonder Woman Bat girl Etc. The last D.C one can think of is Halo from Young Justice
Bert

Mikeunmaskem wrote:
3 years ago

Thank you,

Mikeunmaskem
Those are fairly specific requests. I suggest you try your own hand at writing a story.
Mikeunmaskem
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Maybe I will, one day, when my confidence is high enough !! I’m kind of down now, like I’ve always been!
Bert

Voltaire, a fairly clever Frenchman, penned a famous quote:

“The best is the enemy of the good.”

The point is - at least regarding writing genre fiction - it doesn't need to be perfect. I resisted writing stories for a long time because whenever I'd try to start I would fail to make progress. I was trying too hard to make it good. Finally I just quit striving for perfection and wrote something. When I shared it here, a few people responded and seemed to like it.

Give it a shot!
trystan
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

I shall be writing stories with new original characters. I recently posted my first one and I hope you enjoy it!
Damselbinder

Ah, I see Valora deserved two exclamation marks!(!) How kind.

There are definitely lots of the writers here who've done a lot with OCs, and as AEM said, the best way to encourage them to continue is to leave feedback on their story threads.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

I agree that you (everyone) needs to post comments on the stories you enjoy. The reason most people write to existing characters is because it is way easier to use an existing character. If you say batgirl, the reader has a clear idea of backstory, costume, style and content. With an original character, that is entirely on the author. That is not a small amount of work. And finally readers may not look at a story because the character is unfamiliar.

You have some very specific ideas you want to read. I have never heard of a haircutting peril, if you write a good story with that, you may inspire others. You may find that you enjoy creating something others enjoy. A long time ago I realized that no one else is going to write the story I had in my head. Occasionally, I will blunder across someone that has a story that is similar.

By the way, I just posted a story with an original Heroine, Perils of Penelope Young-Jugs.