New Justice League titles: Odyssey & Dark (DC 2018)

shevek
Producer
Producer

There are two new Justice League titles from DC which look promising because of great art and action-packed storytelling which is agenda-free. Both have the beautiful leading ladies you're looking for in the comics. Pick both of these and #movetheneedle for the good work from DC!

Justice League Odyssey is a space adventure starring Jessica Cruz (Green Lantern), Starfire, Cyborg and Azrael, going up against Darkseid. Here's the cover of #1 which just came out. I read it and it holds up well as an intro. One great aspect is the art by the legendary Stjepan Sejic (known for the S&M comic Sunstone, and Rat Queens as well as many mainstream superhero books). His depiction of costumes on the female body is rather exquisite, and the only issue I have is the way he depicts Starfire's hair as being 'stringy' instead of fiery. Starfire's costume covers a bit more of her body than before, but she still looks great, as does Jessica Cruz, who always seems a bit anxious and less than sure of herself...a very relatable portrayal.
justiceleagueodysseyno1.jpg
justiceleagueodysseyno1.jpg (450.13 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Meanwhile Justice League Dark is a reboot of the 2011 series featuring the magic-based heroes from the group. Leading the way are our favorites Wonder Woman and Zatanna, and you've also got Man-Bat (I always thought he was a product of science?), Swamp Thing and Detective Chimp. The writing is by the well-known James Tynion IV and the art is by Alvaro Martinez Bueno, who's been making the rounds at DC for the past five years, most recently in Detective Comics and Dark Nights Metal. What drew me in was the amazing peril cover of #3 (see below)...something you don't see much nowadays due to the rash of political correctness. Unfortunately, though, there's no actual peril situation like that inside the comic, although the heroines do endure some minor tribulations. One cool scene, however, involves some background on Zatanna and how she learned from her Dad (Zatara) how to speak her spell backwards. Overall a fun read of which you could jump into the middle.

Happy superheroine-ing!
justiceleaguedarkno3.jpg
justiceleaguedarkno3.jpg (620.11 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I look at these and I think these are put together by people playing superhero role playing games
StarFire and Azrael have no JLA conection