How Do You/Did You Read Your Comic Books?

How do you read your comic books?

Cover to cover.
82%
Peril first, then the story.
18%

Total votes: 44
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was talking with someone in the studio about comic books, and got on the subject of how we bought them and read them. He was methodical, buying every comic in a series and reading them cover to cover before stashing them away.

My approach was much more random. I would look for a title that interested me, scan the book for how much peril/ko was involved and if it looked good, I would buy it, jump into the peril pages and then skim the story afterwards.

Then it would be my goto comic until something better came along.

So I'm curious how did you read yours?
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

I do the same, look at the kinds of content in the comics - and select which ones i'd like to read.

However I read cover to cover once i've made the choice, I don't skip straight to the peril. I enjoy seeing how the writer and illustrator build up to the peril - have got some great ideas on how to build up stories of my own that way.
Last edited by swampy170 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Supergirl is mine
Elder Member
Elder Member

I was the same as you mighty, would scan through first and look for any good peril and then make a purchase if there was, same with vids nowadays.
Manta Ray Jack
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Comic books came way before noticing girls in peril in my case so reading cover to cover was pretty entrenched in me. I haven't bought one in years but looking back, seems to me that all the best peril was on the cover anyways. But then, I was mainly buying Marvel and I don't think they had many titles with female leads at the time. Least, not that I can recall.
zepolmas
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

I just plain read'em
GMan2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

When I used to buy them, I never really had a chance to skim the inside of the comic prior to purchase. They were always sealed. So I was stuck with the 'having to judge a book by its cover'. Then I'd get home, open it, skim the pages once...looking at all the drawings....THEN read it cover to cover.

(Is Mr. Atlas still getting sand kicked in his face in the advertisements at the back?) :lol: I almost bought a pair of the X-Ray glasses at one time too!
Renegade
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

I would always read them through, after all I spent 25, 35 cents on each one - as much as 50 cents for something like "Batman Family"! I think I stopped reading comics about the time they reached $2.99 an issue, with the exception of "Femforce" which I stuck with into the $4.95 range.

Also, in my case the mix was about half 'traditional' comics (Batman and X-Men were favorites of mainstream books) and about half were the sort of books that played to/led me to a forum like this :wink: There was certainly disappointment when the cover art wasn't particularly tied to the story.

As for the ads, I always wanted the 7-foot Polaris Submarine, but in that day I couldn't come up with the $6.95 :lol:
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

[quote="GMan2]
(Is Mr. Atlas still getting sand kicked in his face in the advertisements at the back?) :lol: I almost bought a pair of the X-Ray glasses at one time too![/quote]

You dodged a bullet there Gman, those glasses were a con. Always wondered why doctors didn't buy them. After I did I discovered you couldn't see thru to the underwear of a single girl in my class. :wink:
I didn't really have a set way, sometimes I read c-c, sometimes the dangerous bits first.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
league
Neophyte
Neophyte

I read comic books alot well before I noticed the epril stuff in them. I still today read the ones I like cover to cover. between my hubby and I we have a pretty good pull list of weekly books.

MightyHypnotic wrote:I was talking with someone in the studio about comic books, and got on the subject of how we bought them and read them. He was methodical, buying every comic in a series and reading them cover to cover before stashing them away.

My approach was much more random. I would look for a title that interested me, scan the book for how much peril/ko was involved and if it looked good, I would buy it, jump into the peril pages and then skim the story afterwards.

Then it would be my goto comic until something better came along.

So I'm curious how did you read yours?
mask hunter
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

I would look for the peril / deathtrap.... then i would read cover to cover, enjoying every moment of the heroine slowly inching ever so closer to the trap...