Steel City Con Dec 7-9, 2018

Cosplay Discussion, Releases, Pics & Clips
shevek
Producer
Producer

Heroineburgh is really excited to return to Steel City Con in Monroeville, PA (home of the mall-walking zombies) to premiere Episodes 11-13 in the big Event Hall and to woman (is that a verb? it should be!) our booth in Artists' Alley for the whole weekend, featuring live appearances of 12 heroines and villainesses from the series. Three of the actresses are so excited that they put their superheroine personas in their Facebook profile (see below). Now that is the kind of enthusiasm we like to see!

But of course, Heroineburgh is just a very small part of this event, with dozens of vendors, dozens more booths in Artists' Alley, comic book creators, the celebrity panels and autograph sessions, and the hard-fought Cosplay Contest on Sunday. Personally we are looking forward to meeting Brent Spiner (Data), Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar), Dean Cain (Superman on Lois & Clark;Jonathan Kent on Supergirl) and the ladies from Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

And on Friday night, we roll back into Pittsburgh proper, to celebrate the art exhibit of DC Comics' Jason Wright, debuting at the Spirit Lodge. Jason (who has colored the likes of Batgirl and Green Lantern) is the artist you've seen create comic book likenesses of the Heroineburgh characters. He'll also be performing in two local bands (one of which features our evil villainess Serpenta on bass, if you've seen her origin in Episode 9).

Looking forward to posting lots of cool cosplay photos in this thread in a few days....if you're near Southwestern PA, stop by at the Con and say hi to us at the booth!

Bridget is the breathtaking Arctica, queen of the frost! (appearing Saturday afternoon)
arctica_bridgetcloseup.jpg
arctica_bridgetcloseup.jpg (63.24 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
Kristin is the brave Jinniyya, mistress of the wind! (appearing Saturday afternoon)
jinniyya_con.jpg
jinniyya_con.jpg (101.01 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
Mauricia is the rough-and-ready Vendetta, the Italian assassin! (appearing Sunday afternoon)
vendetta_mauricia.jpg
vendetta_mauricia.jpg (35.35 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

Days 1 and 2 of the Con were a blast!

We started out on Friday by showing Episodes 11, 12 and 13 in the main event hall.
Several dozen people were in attendance.
We had a Q&A session and this time there were some excellent questions...for example a) how long does it take us to produce each episode, 2) how did we write the theme song, 3) where did we get the costumes and 4) how did we find the actresses. Really good interest.
Then Maura (Etherea) and Devon (Mesmera) posed on the stage for a photo and we were back to the booth to greet fans and stir up interest.
Later in the afternoon we were joined by Julie (Arcana) as well.

We found out the night before that we were moved from Artists' Alley to the main room with the commercial vendors, and we were now located in "Row H" (which is easy to remember, for Heroineburgh). It was a good upgrade because there was more foot traffic!
I was aided by my capable booth assistant Tao, who in a future Season 2 episode will be playing Kurgana the Barbarian.
At the booth we were greeted by pop-culture blogger Jim S. who interviewed Maura, Devon and myself, and posted a review of the episodes the next day on his blog. It was informative and favorable!

We also made a connection with the booth across the way..manned by Ted Sikora who self-publishes the excellent comic book Tap Dance Killer. A very high quality book reminiscent of Bronze Age Marvel, it's about a black anti-heroine from Cleveland who is a member of a group of assassin-style freaks with super powers. It's very possible that in the future we might do a crossover episode where the Tap Dance Killer (played by a Cleveland actress/cosplayer) visits Pittsburgh and teams up with (or fights) the Pittsburgh heroines. Fingers crossed on that one for later!

That night, we went back into the city to a venue that was hosting an art show for our Heroineburgh artist Jason Wright (of DC Comics fame).
Jason showcased nine paintings mostly with a fantasy or sci-fi theme, including his painting of Wonder Woman. Jason also debuted his new local
rock band, and after that, a band featuring Sarah E (villainess Serpenta from Episode 9!) on vocals played as well, as the crowd started moshing.
Then we went back to the hotel for some well-deserved rest.

On Day 2, the crowd deluge started almost immediately and it was packed to the gills by noon.
We constantly had tons of great interactions and many people were interested in the Heroineburgh series.
The actresses arrived in two shifts - Sydney (Devorra the Queen Bee), Bridget (Arctica) and Tiffany (Darbouka) appeared in the morning,
and then Kristin (Jinniyya) and Laura (our new Gardenia, with a brand new skirt) appeared later in the afternoon.
For about an hour, though, all of their slots overlapped, and there were five heroines & villainesses around the booth or walking around the immediate area, and this was quite a sight to see. Naturally, passersby took a good amount of photos, which we asked them politely to hashtag #heroineburgh when they are posted.

I got a chance to slip away from the booth for a while and listen to Brent Spiner (Data) and Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) regale a large audience
with some tales from the set of Star Trek: TNG. Brent was such a ham!
Merchandise sales started to pick up, and we sold five T-shirts, including a couple of the new Episode 11-13 design. We'll be back tomorrow for
Day 3 with three more actresses and the Cosplay Contest.

Etherea and Mesmera take a bow after Episodes 11-13 are shown.
IMG_0855.JPG
IMG_0855.JPG (6.13 MiB) Viewed 2019 times
Arcana at the Heroineburgh booth.
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG (7.02 MiB) Viewed 2019 times
Sarah E (aka Serpenta) singing and playing bass at the Jason Wright art opening.
IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG (4.46 MiB) Viewed 2019 times
Darbouka, Devorra and Arctica at the Heroineburgh booth.
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG (6.83 MiB) Viewed 2019 times
Jinniyya ready for action at the Heroineburgh booth.
IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG (8.26 MiB) Viewed 2019 times
The new Gardenia makes her first live appearance, complete with a brand new gorgeous shiny skirt.
IMG_0892.JPG
IMG_0892.JPG (7.48 MiB) Viewed 2019 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

The previous post ran out of room for photo attachments so here's a photo of Brent Spiner (Data) and Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) at the ST:TNG panel.
IMG_0894.JPG
IMG_0894.JPG (5.48 MiB) Viewed 2017 times
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Did Data explain why they could create a super sophisticated android but not give him contact lenses that made his eyes normal nor add make up/dye his rubber skin to a human shade of pink? :giggle:

Looks great Shevek, I hope its been a big success for you and the lovely ladies all seem to really enjoy themselves doing it which is nice to see
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
shevek
Producer
Producer

To be honest, Tallyho, I only spent a few minutes in the event hall while Spiner and Crosby were onstage, because my booth assistant actually claimed that hour to go to the Star Trek panel and take her break. So I mainly just went to snap a couple of shots. But while I was there I did hear Denise Crosby recall how she and Wil Wheaton, while filming ST:TNG, went over to the set of Coming of America and tried to blend in during a crowd dancing scene while prancing around in their Star Trek uniforms. Someone noticed what they were doing (probably the director) and called cut, and they hightailed it out of there. And my assistant brought back a story about how the members of the cast were always playing jokes, and they got criticized by Patrick Stewart for not being serious about their work, only for Stewart to eventually begin instigating their pranks as well. That's about all I heard.

And if you thought those ladies were lovely, then feast your eyes on the Sunday lineup.
Three new actresses who will all debut in Episode 14, which we are filming this month.

Josalynn plays violent villainess Vaporia, who can transform all or parts of her body into smoke, and co-leads the evil cabal Black Faction.
IMG_0898.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG (7.99 MiB) Viewed 1936 times
Mauricia takes over the role of Italian ninja assassin Vendetta in Season Two, continuing her agita-filled crusade against the mob.
IMG_0896.JPG
IMG_0896.JPG (7.9 MiB) Viewed 1936 times
And Lita debuts as Sintilla, the villainess with clairvoyant powers who simply loves being evil for its own sake. She has a shiny pink-and-black fetish-oriented costume and her signature weapons are spiked rubber paddles!
IMG_0909.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG (8.04 MiB) Viewed 1936 times
All three together.
IMG_0903.JPG
IMG_0903.JPG (7.91 MiB) Viewed 1936 times
And a mostly unrehearsed clip for Youtube!

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sintilla looks incredible!! i wish I could have went to this con....would love to see her spiked paddles up close and personal, I LOVE her catsuit! it fits her purrrrrfectly!!
shevek
Producer
Producer

This nice guy Jurassic Jones tagged us at the Con on his Instagram.
Photo is with Jinniyya (Kristin) and the new Gardenia (Laura).
Nice to have some cross-promoting fans!

shevek
Producer
Producer

Just found another Steel City Con photo today from cosplayer Draco Lydo. It wasn't tagged but it came up on a Pittsburgh area cosplayer page.

Here's a new "Trinity" at the Heroineburgh booth with Jinniyya (Kristin) subbing for Wonder Woman as our own Arabic Amazon!

(Draco is the Superman.)
jinniyya_with_superman_and_batman.jpg
jinniyya_with_superman_and_batman.jpg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 1739 times