Let me Know If You Like This Grid Format

Info regarding this website!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey all,

I switched the forum to a grid format, I thought it looked cool.

But before I start putting up all the images I want to hear some feedback about it.

Does it work for you? Let me know.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Personally I just preferred running my eye down the old list format to see what I needed to look at
I do like what you have done with the pics, but now it means a lot of scrolling down for me as i cant review the board at a glance
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Blx
Elder Member
Elder Member

Hmmm, at first glance I'm leaning heavily towards the old list format but that's also because that's the way I've used forums for the last 20 years.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I understand. I was a little wary about using it but I thought it looked kind of cool and a little more modern so I thought I would put it up here and see what the consensus is.

It was really no effort on my part at all, I just ticked a box to go from LIST to GRID so if it seems like people are unhappy with it I can just "untick".
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I tend to work off the recent topics bar rather than trawl various sub categories anyway so general format is not a big issue for me
Void
Sargeant
Sargeant

I won't wrestle you to the ground for it, but I do prefer the older version. It was easier to track at a glance, seeing the list on the page . This new version could be better for mobile users, I guess.
Lost in the night, and there is no morning.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

It just occurred to me that this could probably easily be a switchable setting, the user could choose to view as either a grid or list. Im taking a look at that option. I've also made some changes that will make the grid a bit more compact.
SGWriter
Story General
Story General

I can understand experimenting MH but....yeah, I don't like it. I'm sorry but the pics are way too distracting.
Yes Supergirl, that's right its a necklace for you....What's the matter you don't like Kryptonite?
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

SGWriter wrote:
5 years ago
I can understand experimenting MH but....yeah, I don't like it. I'm sorry but the pics are way too distracting.
Sorry, MH, but I have to agree with SGWriter and cast a no vote too. List was a lot easier to comprehend at a glance.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just an FYI I made some coding changes so you will be able to choose grid or list format. Should be in place by tomorrow.
Blx
Elder Member
Elder Member

That would be great. Choice is great either way
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

My vote is for the list format. Please use the list as the default setting if users are able to select either the list or grid format.
vnv7272
Sargeant
Sargeant

I don't care for the images. Too cluttered.
Leadpoison
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I kinda dig it! Of course I'm somewhat of an image oriented person.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmmm I don't know what happened to my reply to this but it was basically, I understand both sides. My goal was to have a more visual representation of the forum and maybe when the images are all presented together it looks a little busy. The images themselves are pretty cool but maybe we should go for a more elegant design where the images are darker on the left with maybe just a gradient and the actual image would be the right of the forum title text. I'll work on it.

Regardless, I will revert back to the list format today and I will add code to enable switching between list or grid view. When everything is in place, the forum will default to the grid view but you will be able to change that setting permanently in the USER CONTROL PANEL if you prefer to always have the list view.

Let me know your thoughts on that and thanks for providing some valuable feedback!
ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

I like the images, but it needs to be condensed in some manner so most if not all the site links can be seen in one scan of the eye.

I like that you are updating the look.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The grid looks pretty good scrolling on a smartphone, but a bit too clunky on a desktop.

The placeholders make large areas look like dead space. It will look better when they have been replaced with relevant images.

Here's a suggestion for the Superheroine Links section from your own oeuvre:

"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Heroine Addict wrote:
5 years ago
The grid looks pretty good scrolling on a smartphone, but a bit too clunky on a desktop.

The placeholders make large areas look like dead space. It will look better when they have been replaced with relevant images.

Here's a suggestion for the Superheroine Links section from your own oeuvre:

Not crazy about the grid but I love the pun and picture, Heroine Addict. :thumbup:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK as you can see I've reverted back to the list format.

There were some issues with the GRID format that needs to be ironed out and I have some bigger fish to fry at the moment so that will have to go on the back burner. Like I said it will not be mandatory and if it's not your preference you'll never have to see it....But for those who like things a little more image based, then you might enjoy the change.

Thanks to @ksire_99 for the suggestion to make things a little more condensed and I made a few changes to put all superheroine related forums under one category.....
Doctor Outcome
Overlord
Overlord

In the words of Rick Hunter:

'It works for me!' ;)
'Underestimate your enemy in battle, odds are, you won't live to see another one'