Don't Waste Your Time...

Info regarding this website!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Or mine.

I don't want to see any more hijacking of threads or political posts. This is not a political forum.
I can send you links if some of you need to blow off some political steam but this is not the place for it. I am now going to delete off topic posts. We have a misc category if you really feel you need to discuss something along those lines.

One more thing, if you see something you don't like, stay out of that thread. Simple. This forum is for everyone to enjoy. As much as some people do not like it, new shows and new comics are probably not going to be what some of us would like to see or are used to seeing. That's just how things are but that doesn't mean people have to voice their opposition in EVERY THREAD.

Let others have their fun.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

With all due respect, MH, it sometimes takes time for these threads to devolve into politics and name-calling. They don't all devolve so badly and some of the back and forth counter-arguments have been if not entertaining then enlightening at times. When it does become ranting of course, it can get obnoxious but to tell people out of course not to express any political opinions seems a tad harsh. I'm wondering if we can find a middle ground.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

DrDominator9 wrote:
6 years ago
With all due respect, MH, it sometimes takes time for these threads to devolve into politics and name-calling. They don't all devolve so badly and some of the back and forth counter-arguments have been if not entertaining then enlightening at times. When it does become ranting of course, it can get obnoxious but to tell people out of course not to express any political opinions seems a tad harsh. I'm wondering if we can find a middle ground.
Since its been the same arguments repeated over and over again I REALLY doubt there is a middle ground to be found. If there was it would have been found by now.
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

So...........pantyhose or bare legs?
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I know I shouldn't get involved in those threads. I don't seriously expect to win many people (or anyone) over to my way of thinking. For my part, it's more a matter of not letting certain statements stand unopposed.

If it happens again, I'll try not to get involved.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Hey...I actually learned something...what SJW means!!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

The middle ground I was thinking of wasn't about a middle position between the opposite stances people have taken in these threads but rather to achieving a compromise between no politics whatsoever and bitter attacks of any personal nature: a debate with both sides trying to appreciate the other side's point of view. And maybe less labels thrown around?

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
6 years ago
The middle ground I was thinking of wasn't about a middle position between the opposite stances people have taken in these threads but rather to achieving a compromise between no politics whatsoever and bitter attacks of any personal nature: a debate with both sides trying to appreciate the other side's point of view. And maybe less labels thrown around?
I agree. The issue with deciding 'no politics period' comes down to 'what constitutes politics' and that it can mean different things to different people. I assume this is likely a response to the Electra Woman and Dyna Girl thread (As a direct example of course, it being simply the most recent example of a thread that seemed to go literally out of control) which absolutely needed to be cut off as not only were arguments going nowhere, they were spiraling quickly into name calling and shouting, but compare that with a discussion that happened in the Captain Marvel thread not long ago which I don't personally feel devolved into anything more than differing opinions discussing with one another which remained civil for the most part (Though probably for longer than it should have there, I also agree there's a point where the topic needs to circle back around to what the thread is actually supposed to be about as well lest the topic become purposeless. I obviously can't know how difficult this is for you as moderators, but perhaps opinions/politics relevant to said topic which are valid to the dissuasion should be seen in in a different light vs opinions and politics that have branched beyond the discussion and become something more generalized or even specific to something unrelated entirely) I've never personally thought that the moderators here were doing anything less than a great job of allowing threads to continue in a civil manner, nor been upset when you've chosen to shut one down.

My concern mostly with a strict 'no politics/political views etc.' is that it begins causing a member to worry about his or her posts and if their personal opinions come off as political... I don't personally believe that it is entirely possible for a human being to fully engage in a community if not allowed to express themselves. While this obviously shouldn't mean we be allowed to insult and scream and rant at one another, I absolutely do feel that cutting off our permission to discuss with one another what we believe in cuts off an element of humanity which a community desperately needs. We might absolutely have fewer arguments in a place where we can't voice our opinions... but I suspect we would also have fewer people on the website in general as well. It's hard for people to separate their opinions and beliefs from their enjoyment of a thing.

I'd much rather discuss my differences with someone on this forum, which ordinarily only happens once a month perhaps when someone posts something I disagree with enough to respond, and get called a 'dumb bimbo bitch' or any manner of other things than I would ever desire that said individual be silenced and disallowed to voice their opinions in even a civil manner. Without freedom of expression I worry that the community would simply stagnate.
athenaartemis
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

This policy is long overdue. Too many people bash productions and producers without even buying the video(s).

I only wish this policy had been in place 6 months ago. I will help enforce it with pleasure.

BIG RED RULE: Have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

athenaartemis wrote:
6 years ago
This policy is long overdue. Too many people bash productions and producers without even buying the video(s).

I only wish this policy had been in place 6 months ago. I will help enforce it with pleasure.

How are you sure they haven't bought the videos though? If someone purchases a video and finds it unsatisfactory, or finds a production company to be immoral than they deserve the right to express as much.... I mean, this isn't even really anything to do with 'polotics' If people can't say that a video is bad how would you know if you made a bad video?
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Especially if they are willing to go into why a video is bad. Besides pantyhose or bare legs, if there is enough information so another person can make an informed decision, then why not let them post.

I mean a pro post saying the actress is hot doesn't help me decide since hotness is subjective.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

That last frackus is on me. My bad. My apologies.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago
Nah, it takes at least two to tango. We've all contributed from time to time.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I think it's a bit counter productive to cut whole topics of casual conversation out of the forum, won't that result in fewer threads, fewer readers and ultimately fewer people clocking in the ooh and aah over new releases and gems of prose?

I think currently the mods strike a good balance and the ban hammer is a sledgehammer to crack a nut, don't go full google MH or we'll have tumbleweeds in abundance.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Agreed! But I don't necessarily see anything super improper happening anyway in that regard. I for one would never call anyone names.

re that Electra/Dyna thread: there was no shouting in that whatsoever. Look at it again. All I did was top the thread because I finally got to see the movie. I listed the things I thought were sexy about the movie, especially the OG EW costume and Empress of Evil. Then there was a flurry of discussion about bikeshorts. And that was it. No real kerfluffle there. Not even sure why it deserved a Picard facepalm. :)

re the Captain Marvel thing: maybe we disagreed but ultimately we all brought ourselves back from the brink. And the whole disagreement wasn't so much about 'politics' per se, as about whether it would be better to have a *lack* of heavy-handed political bias into comics and movies etc. So it was more about trying to encourage the lack of politics (hopefully) than it was about any one political stance. Of course the far-left tends to spew slogans like "the aesthetic is political" etc (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesthetic ... f_politics) but I don't think anyone on this board is a member of Antifa, or a fascist for that matter, right?

But of course I'll do what it takes to get along. The best idea is to just try and stay on-topic within a thread. If posters on a Captain Marvel thread are discussing anything involving the character or story of Captain Marvel, then it's still on-topic.

Love to everyone!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
6 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago
Nah, it takes at least two to tango. We've all contributed from time to time.
No its my fault!!! :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras:
scotscot
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

avenger wrote:
6 years ago
Bare :lynda1:
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 years ago
My responses were a bit cunty. So apologies too.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Stop arguing about who's to blame :giggle:
Last edited by tallyho 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
Stop arguing about whose to blame :giggle:
Who's to blame, you mean.
---Emissary Editor-at-Large

Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

shevek wrote:
6 years ago
re that Electra/Dyna thread: there was no shouting in that whatsoever. Look at it again. All I did was top the thread because I finally got to see the movie. I listed the things I thought were sexy about the movie, especially the OG EW costume and Empress of Evil. Then there was a flurry of discussion about bikeshorts. And that was it. No real kerfluffle there. Not even sure why it deserved a Picard facepalm. :)
I'm not sure if you're taking the piss or you just went to bed after resurrecting that thread, but things got a lot nastier after your post. Tally and/or Dr. D deleted most of the name-calling after they locked it.
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

scotscot wrote:
6 years ago
avenger wrote:
6 years ago
agreed
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

avenger wrote:
6 years ago
scotscot wrote:
6 years ago
avenger wrote:
6 years ago
agreed
Either, says the diplomat. Each has its own reward. :thumbup:

athenaartemis
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Femina wrote:
6 years ago
athenaartemis wrote:
6 years ago

How are you sure they haven't bought the videos though? If someone purchases a video and finds it unsatisfactory, or finds a production company to be immoral than they deserve the right to express as much.... I mean, this isn't even really anything to do with 'polotics' If people can't say that a video is bad how would you know if you made a bad video?
Because people have said they were not going to buy the video or were clearly just commenting on the promo(s). If people buy any video and don't like the video, there is a video review section to make criticisms in.

There is too much bashing without buying. If you aren't going to buy a video, fine it is your money. If you don't buy, don't bash the people who put the considerable time, effort and expense that goes into making a video.

BIG RED RULE 2: No buy. No bash.
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

shevek wrote:
6 years ago
No real kerfluffle there. Not even sure why it deserved a Picard facepalm. :)

re the Captain Marvel thing: maybe we disagreed but ultimately we all brought ourselves back from the brink. And the whole disagreement wasn't so much about 'politics' per se, as about whether it would be better to have a *lack* of heavy-handed political bias into comics and movies etc. So it was more about trying to encourage the lack of politics (hopefully) than it was about any one political stance.
See, THIS is the problem. People don't see themselves causing problems. Unless this new policy from MH is being enforced I personally don't feel there is any point in discussion modern comics on here cause you, Shevek, will pop into the conversation and quickly derail it and make it about politics with Mr. X popping in to back you up. Then me and a handful of other people push back against you and things get heated and then we get the same political arguments between the same handful of people playing out the same way again and again.

I can't be the only one that's tired of it.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Well, this disintegrated into pandemonium pretty quickly! I suppose we all DO need a break from politics in these threads. So, for a while why don't we stick to the topics as described in the headlines of the threads and try to make nice with each other as much as possible. That is all.

-- the management. :ras: :no: :confused:

Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
6 years ago
avenger wrote:
6 years ago
scotscot wrote:
6 years ago
avenger wrote:
6 years ago
agreed
And my reward comes from Willy Wolford, the hosiery magnate who pays me to say I want more pantyhose in videos. (Even though I really hate to see legs clad in nylon.)

In fact, everyone hates pantyhose. All the so-called "nylon fetishists" are in the employ of Willy Wolford. We even ask producers to rip the tights open, just to ensure that they sustain the market for hosiery by purchasing fresh pairs.

Now that I've broken cover on this conspiracy, I will almost certainly be garroted. With a pair of tights.
KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
6 years ago
avenger wrote:
6 years ago
scotscot wrote:
6 years ago
avenger wrote:
6 years ago
agreed
And my reward comes from Willy Wolford, the hosiery magnate who pays me to say I want more pantyhose in videos. (Even though I really hate to see legs clad in nylon.)

In fact, everyone hates pantyhose. All the so-called "nylon fetishists" are in the employ of Willy Wolford. We even ask producers to rip the tights open, just to ensure that they sustain the market for hosiery by purchasing fresh pairs.

Now that I've broken cover on this conspiracy, I will almost certainly be garroted. With a pair of tights.

I needed that today.
thank you.
Ive been a miserable grouch all day and this made me genuinely laugh out loud.
:yahoo:
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
6 years ago
Well, this disintegrated into pandemonium pretty quickly! I suppose we all DO need a break from politics in these threads. So, for a while why don't we stick to the topics as described in the headlines of the threads and try to make nice with each other as much as possible. That is all.

-- the management. :ras: :no: :confused:
How did this disintegrate? I thought we'd all been pretty well behaved in here?
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

This comment from Philo below made me realize that things will devolve quickly again:

See, THIS is the problem. People don't see themselves causing problems. Unless this new policy from MH is being enforced I personally don't feel there is any point in discussion modern comics on here cause you, Shevek, will pop into the conversation and quickly derail it and make it about politics with Mr. X popping in to back you up. Then me and a handful of other people push back against you and things get heated and then we get the same political arguments between the same handful of people playing out the same way again and again.

I was hoping to avoid this kind of finger pointing and such. It's not Philo's statement that's wrong. In fact. he's right. But it seems like it is the type of statement that will draw yet another response from someone about being able to defend their position and it just gets tiring to hear all that merry-go-round calliope constantly in here. Yes, it wasn't overly antagonistic -- just more of the same. I'm not locking this thread but I'm not thrilled with it. If people start straying off topic in other threads into politics (for a few weeks at least) they will be warned to get back on track. Sound reasonable? :hmm:

shevek
Producer
Producer

Disciple wrote:
6 years ago
shevek wrote:
6 years ago
I'm not sure if you're taking the piss or you just went to bed after resurrecting that thread, but things got a lot nastier after your post. Tally and/or Dr. D deleted most of the name-calling after they locked it.
Ah, no wonder there was a problem. Sure, I stepped away from that thread for quite a while.
I actually didn't see any of that..only went back to that thread after it was locked and those comments were apparently deleted..I don't even know who said them....and thus I wasn't involved in it :) Like I said.

As for Philo - hey man, do whatever you want to do, but there's no way that I hate "modern comics". I've reviewed several dozen modern comic book series on the Comics forum here. It's really only the preachy ones (mostly SJW Marvel, but a few Image outliers and others) that get tiring because of the virtue pandering..so I mention that sometimes. No biggie. You don't agree, that's fine. And look..I like your comics, and I've said so a bunch of times! I don't even quite understand why we're at odds... :)

It's also interesting that this happened just as the #ComicsGate thing is gaining steam......
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

This announcement is overdue. This place has been toxic for months. When every thread about a new project stands teetering on the edge of political trench warfare, it's no longer a forum for fans, it's a political forum abusing the fandom to defend broad beliefs.

However, this particular fandom necessarily lives nestled in the bosom of broad beliefs that are frequent and fervent topics of general public debate these days -- and that's on top of the eternal wranglings of violence, sex, porn, fetish, entertainment, and art. It's not paranoia when they are out to get you :)

It may be in the community's best interest for the people in it who are politically-minded to have a place to go, within the community and while inhabiting their identity within the community, to engage in political discussion. Because in the broader sense, we won't find stronger allies anywhere else.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
6 years ago
I was hoping to avoid this kind of finger pointing and such. It's not Philo's statement that's wrong. In fact. he's right. But it seems like it is the type of statement that will draw yet another response from someone about being able to defend their position and it just gets tiring to hear all that merry-go-round calliope constantly in here. Yes, it wasn't overly antagonistic -- just more of the same. I'm not locking this thread but I'm not thrilled with it. If people start straying off topic in other threads into politics (for a few weeks at least) they will be warned to get back on track. Sound reasonable? :hmm:
Look, everyone has a racist grandfather or a nutty anti vax conspiracy aunt who thinks the moon nazis are coming and yet they still manage to get through christmas or that thing you guys have about killing all the indians. So, I think we can probably get through a couple of threads where the old fucks turn up and grouch about how kids don't know comics (which, honestly, is not a business anymore) these days and how it's all the liberals fault or whatever buzzword is trending on pensioner twitter.

I mean for fuck sake! The fetish is peppered with rape, assault, brain washing, murder and impregnation, but a couple of old dudes bitching about the good old days is too much? That's mental.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Its more that the bitching descends into more personal attacks and its not what people come here for. The only straw man I care about is the one that (Whicker Man Spoiler alert!) Edward Woodward gets burned in. And besides the rising aggro its just the same cyclical arguements which again the bulk of us dont wanna see. Voice an opinion (respectfully) but dont label others for voicing theirs and dont keep re-voicing it again and again. This is supposed to be a fun place for a chat, no need for annyone to start going postal over things.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
Its more that the bitching descends into more personal attacks and its not what people come here for. The only straw man I care about is the one that (Whicker Man Spoiler alert!) Edward Woodward gets burned in. And besides the rising aggro its just the same cyclical arguements which again the bulk of us dont wanna see. Voice an opinion (respectfully) but dont label others for voicing theirs and dont keep re-voicing it again and again. This is supposed to be a fun place for a chat, no need for annyone to start going postal over things.
Whaaaaat! B-b-b-but what about Nicholas Cage's oscar worthy performance "OH GOD THE BEEEEEEEES!'

On a more serious note, THIS is exactly what I'm worried about. Yes this is supposed to be a fun place to go to chat for awhile, and ordinarily it is, but if everyone is actively worried that their post may be to 'political' or something, we'll all stop having fun. I've seen a LOT of forums go 'plop' in my lifetime, and it usually comes after enough forum rules come around that putting up a post feels like navigating a minefield of potential problems (It's usually either that or whatever the subject matter is has become wildly out of date... I suspect the SHiP fetish isn't to much in danger of that as a whole) and while it may be unfun to be called names by another poster here and there, having a post you genuinely thought was pretty good get banned cause it happened to include traces or elements of something that got banned cause a few people took it to far 'that one time' is the sort of thing that could convince people to stop coming altogether. By and large, the more freedom a place has, the more open people are to being there.

Secondly, and with all due respect, human beings argue in circles by nature. We can't actually help ourselves, we each have our sets of beliefs and opinions and one way or another they WILL come out. It's not so easy as just 'putting a zipper on your beliefs' cause you already voiced them once. When somebody says something you disagree with, if you DON'T voice your opinion that leaves only one side of an issue on display for newcomers and outsiders. I wouldn't want somebody to come on this website and write us all off as 'anti-SJW's' or something (Is there even a word for that? I guess it's probably best to have as few labels as possible anyway) anymore than I imagine some of us would want a newcomer to arrive and think it was nothing but 'SJW's' and if one side of a political ideology remains quiet all that it does is ensure that the place appears to be devoted to the other ideology...... All of this is to say, it's not necessarily a bad thing that people can come here and find other like minded people ON ANY SIDE of an issue as well as share our common interest in SHiP in general.

I mean if you really think about it, with some of the discussions that have been had on here, it would be really hard for someone looking to write us all off as twisted psycho males who just like seeing women beat up when the community seems to include as many women as men, feminists, socialists, libertarians, 'SJW's', 'angry white males' etc. etc. etc. (seriously not calling anyone out here this is just a list of labels that people like to tag people as on a first glance) It makes it pretty hard to write us off as just a single minded pack of depraved individuals as I've no doubt certain mindsets would like to.
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
Edward Woodward was great as the Equalizer. RIP Mr. Woodward
Void
Sargeant
Sargeant

Well, at this point it would be rude not to weigh in with an opinion, right?

I didn't see the argument that spawned this discussion, which to be fair sounds like it hit a worse tone than anything that came before it, but the pseudo-political discussion I've seen elsewhere in other threads has never bothered me. Yes, I think a fair number of threads have these discussions pop up, but I don't see any reason why people who don't want to engage with that conversation have a problem. Given that it's a text box with words that don't interest you, it isn't too hard to ignore it and still be able to post on topic if you desire - or just read the bits you want to. I rather thought that internet forum threads served that express purpose. I could imagine some people not liking these same things popping up, but that isn't too different from just wishing that vocal people you expect to chime in wouldn't do so (oh no, not THIS guy again), and that stance sounds like anathema to a forum. A forum wants vocal participants, surely.

Not least of all because almost all of the debate I've seen on these topics has been really well read and really articulate - by people who are clearly passionate about the subject matter. Maybe the tone becomes a little bit hard or stern, but, let's be real, this is the internet. By internet standards all of these debates are positively charming! It's feral out there! The debates that I've seen have always been reasoned and intelligent, and I've never minded reading it. TBH I'm a little envious of the intelligence of one or two of the participants.

Anyways, maybe we come here just to have fun, but I think a lot of us are also here to be in a community, warts and all. As a great man once said - who definitely wasn't me just now - a community needs warts. When things become toxic or hateful, like maybe it did with what sparked this, then by all means drop the hammer - I think the line has always been well tread by the admin here. If it has to be an issue, maybe just a quiet warning to incendiary parties to try and be less incendiary.
Lost in the night, and there is no morning.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

While you're worried that we might stop
Femina wrote:
6 years ago
On a more serious note, THIS is exactly what I'm worried about. Yes this is supposed to be a fun place to go to chat for awhile, and ordinarily it is, but if everyone is actively worried that their post may be to 'political' or something, we'll all stop having fun.
People have already stopped having fun because topics get yanked down into the same political trenches.
Putting up a post already feels like navigating a minefield of problems.
Having a post you thought was pretty good get sidetracked cause it happened to include traces or elements of something has already convinced people to stop coming.
It's way past 'that one time.'

Open a political discussion area. It's very clearly a related topic of interest. Then the discussion areas that have been the politics of new releases and the politics of other superheroine-related developments can go back to be discussion areas for new releases and other superheroine-related developments.

I don't think y'all want people to write this place off as just a single minded pack of depraved individuals, but the more political depravity occurs the more it's going to happen.

You know what it's like when a kid discovers the DYMO? By the end of the day you're out of label tape and everything in the house is labeled.

Most things in the house don't need to be labeled. Not even if one person insists it's soda and another insists it's pop.

Sometimes when I come home, I don't want to debate the evils of sweeteners, I just want a Mr. Pibb.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Perhaps a voluntary code of conduct and gentle reminders from mods rather than a ban hammer?

If that fails go nuts with sanctions and embargos

As a compromise
KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

Imagineer wrote:
6 years ago

Having a post you thought was pretty good get sidetracked cause it happened to include traces or elements of something has already convinced people to stop coming.
It's way past 'that one time.'
This is nothing new and has been going on to some degree or another for years and years.
How many times have i posted a new release of a movie I was proud of, worked for weeks on the fx,
worked really hard to find work arounds to movie killing problems and put the movie up to get comments about my weight, my facial hair, or a number of unrelated things.
not always mean spirited but none the less annoying that you go through so much effort and work and the only recognition you get are remarks about things unlinked to the movie or worse people in private message asking for private information of the model.

Sometimes I will get a comment from another producer commenting on a mistake I made and how to fix it.... those are like mothers milk to me and i cant say how grateful i am that other producers will send me messages about third party applications to help me fix an fx problem. thats not the same though, but my point is that sidetracking its not new and has been going on for years.
its the price you pay.

As for the political threads.....
No one likes reading the same thing from the same folks over and over again no matter what side you're on. its MH's sandbox so his rules are his rules
we can reply as much as we like about how unfair we think it is or how wrong it is but my opinion would be to let him gently know you're not happy with it but adhere to it nonetheless.

maybe the people who are frequently breaking the rules and starting issues should be given a one week vacation from whatever section they like posting to the most. I know this is super easy to do because its what I did on my forum.

if someone likes to talk shit in the general interest area then ban him from that section for a week, second infraction bans him for a month. third infraction bans him from the whole site for 6 months and after that a perma ban is required.
people cant say they havent been given enough warning when their ban gets longer and longer until they just get permabanned.

On the one hand I dont think removing anyones free speech is a good thing, but also free speech doesnt remove you from the consequences of your speech
if the rules say no personal attacks and you attack someone you have every right to say what you said but breaking the rules requires some sort of punishment.
the way to change rules isnt to keep breaking them its pointing out the flawed logic to whoever runs the place.
if they dont agree with you..... well its their forum.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rather than quote everything I'll just put an answer here.

I am in no way trying to censor what's being discussed but as it was stated, we are a community and I want people to put some thought into what they're posting. Is this going to derail the thread and cause issues? Just like with other elements, there are certain areas of discussion and certain keywords that spark 12 paragraph diatribes that have nothing to do with the original thread. Things only get worse when that same discussion jumps from thread to thread. (Why does Peter Griffin fighting a chicken come to mind?) So I feel we need to keep away from those subjects because it will devolve to name calling, bad feelings and usually ends up with someone leaving the board or doesn't want to post anymore. And for a forum owner, that's a worst case scenario.

At the end of the day, if you want to talk about politics and comics or politics and movies, by all means, create a thread and have at it. Or create a political thread in the misc category and be the Fox news to someone's CNN. At least you'll be on topic and others can enter the fray if they dare.

But all are welcome to post and people here need to respect that sentiment and sometimes let a subject slide if it's not your cup of tea. It's ok.
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

Good luck MightyHypnotic, but personally I'll be sticking to using this forum only for the purpose of promoting SHIP content I create and only that until I see some actual change in the environment here. And after seeing where this thread went (asking people to be polite and respectful and MAYBE not always pop in with their opinions immediately turned into accusations of censorship) and how self unaware we all seemed to be of how we were the ones causing the problems I highly doubt anything will change.
Doctor Outcome
Overlord
Overlord

Femina wrote:
6 years ago
athenaartemis wrote:
6 years ago

Agreed. When I first joined the forums and I started on here with my reviews, I'll admit that I got a little abrasive with a couple of my reviews in the beginning and my intention wasn't to get people riled up or start some kind of 'revolution'. But I always voiced my opinion and I made it clear in my reviews what worked, what didn't, what I'd like to see more of or see less of, etc. Couple of times that almost got me rail-roaded and I had to explain what my intentions were and why the grades I gave for certain material were so low when one individual on here caught wind of my reviews. Some were cutthroat and others relatively good-natured and in each one of my reviews, I always gave suggestions for improvement. Sadly, some of the ideas I suggest never get utilized and I fully understand if a producer can't or won't do that (budge problems, there's no big sale for it, etc.)

Some producers (not speaking about everyone, mind you) have indeed forgotten that the point of constructive criticism is to work towards better material for the fans. It's also about giving the fans what they ask for when they ask for it. Some fans won't run the risk of spending money if they're seeing the same material over and over again. Hence, that's why the 'Outcome' of things has to be played with in these productions from time to time in order to give a better show than what it would be. Hell, Logan Cross does it all the time with his Heroine Kombat battles...and it works! :thumbup:
'Underestimate your enemy in battle, odds are, you won't live to see another one'
Doctor Outcome
Overlord
Overlord

lionbadger wrote:
6 years ago
Perhaps a voluntary code of conduct and gentle reminders from mods rather than a ban hammer?

If that fails go nuts with sanctions and embargos

As a compromise
In the words of 'Tag Team'

'WHOOP, THERE IT IS!' :yahoo:
'Underestimate your enemy in battle, odds are, you won't live to see another one'
GMan2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

When all else fails.....Blame the Russians. LOL!
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

GMan2 wrote:
6 years ago
Isn't this EXACTLY what we were warned not to waste time with?
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Philo Hunter wrote:
6 years ago
GMan2 wrote:
6 years ago
Isn't this EXACTLY what we were warned not to waste time with?
Yeah, I'm not locking this thread over a pretty lame joke. As you were, men. (And women)

GMan2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

scotscot wrote:
6 years ago
avenger wrote:
6 years ago
Pantyhose! :ww1: