Primal (2019-2022 - Adult Swim, then HBOMax)

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Those who are maybe not so excited about Rings of Power should check out Genndy Tartakovsky's PRIMAL.
He's the guy behind Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory.
It started out on Adult Swim but has since migrated over to HBO Max.

The premise is an anachronistic world where lots of different levels of human development exist at the same time,
as well as prehistoric animals. Spear is a neanderthal (who is apparently super-strong) who bonds with a female dinosaur mom named Fang.
They go on best-buddy jungle adventures together through a very dangerous and bloody tooth-and-nail existence.

Just when you're starting to settle down into the prehistoric groove, along come various human civilizations and (sort of) a love interest in the
Cro-Magnon girl Mira, who (yeah, I know) seems to be good at pretty much everything. But she's still a side character, and the series maintains its focus on Spear and Fang, even though they go on a quest to retrieve her from Norse slavers.

Nothing much sexy happens until the middle of Season 2 when the duo encounter a ruthless but very shapely Egyptian queen who enslaves and conquers everyone she can get her hands on. Spear and Fang become unwilling participants in her army, as well as an African giant named Kamau. The queen is quite evil, but she's also extremely competent at ruling her kingdom (which consists of a vast flagship called the Colossaeus - yeah, I know, why doesn't it have an Egyptian name?), wearing sexy tight outfits, and is the Best Martial Artist Ever. However, this series is pretty much not about sex; it's mostly about violence.

There's also a side plot about a Norse chieftain who exacts vengeance from the depths of Hel (or Helheim?) by transforming into a fire giant. It's weird and seems unnecessarily mythological and magical, when almost none of the other situations in the series are like that (there are witches in a Season 1 episode, though).

Anyway, there are two episodes left (as of Sep 4, 2022) in Season 2 which will resolve both the Norse and Egyptian plot threads, so jump on while you can, and then we'll see what comes next. Many have said that this is THE BEST ANIMATED SHOW in the past few years, so see if you agree!
spear and fang.jpg
spear and fang.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 956 times
hot egyptian queen.jpg
hot egyptian queen.jpg (20.9 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Last edited by shevek 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I saw the episode with the zombie virus. Pretty gruesome.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I saw some clips of it and it had Victorian era weirdos in it. So now I know even less about it than before I read this post.

Looks vaguely interesting though.
shevek
Producer
Producer

The "Victorian era weirdos" are in only one episode in Season 2 - a diversionary kind of meta-episode in which the whole idea of humans reverting to "primal" form is being discussed as a commentary on the thin veneer of civilization. So, I didn't mention it because it doesn't even contain the main characters. Not sure why they bothered: I mean, it's obvious that the brutality of even an average conventional war far outstrips anything Conan the Barbarian would have done in his entire lifetime.

You know more about it than you did before, Dogfish, because I described the series, pretty much in toto. Check it out if the subject matter appeals (violence and gruesomeness, as Mr. X indicated, with a little bit of sexy near the end of S2).
shevek
Producer
Producer

Season 2 ended on a bit of a "shock", but it made sense.

Here's a "hint" which doesn't spoil anything. But let's just say
Spoiler
I wonder how the guy has any sperm left after being burnt to a crisp.
mira primal.jpg
mira primal.jpg (66.03 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Looks like Tartakovsky is dedicated to making a Season 3 (I'm getting Orville-like chills about this)
where the Primal world might veer off in a new direction.

Read this article only AFTER you watch the Season 2 finale.

https://ew.com/tv/primal-creator-finale ... in-future/